Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 1

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Greetings

Unread postby And_over » Tue 30 May 2006, 15:47:19

My school doesn't allow students to own cars, so that settles the issue.

Everyone either walks or bikes to get whatever they need. Fortunately, the town is small and the stores are all clustered together so it's not a big deal.
And_over
Wood
Wood

Unread postby And_over » Tue 30 May 2006, 15:49:08

As for college and career choices.
I'm starting college visits in the Northeast tomorrow, I'll keep that in mind. Anyone have any recommendations on a good college or a place with good majors.

As for a career, I have no clue
And_over
Wood
Wood

Re: New members- Tell us about yourselves

Unread postby XOVERX » Wed 31 May 2006, 00:25:31

I'm the son of a hard-working small business entreprenuer. Dad passed away in 2000. I have 3 sisters, and my mother approaches her 80s. I have enough ex-wives to create a strong bridge team (my current wife being the best of all), and a couple of wonderful daughters, 15 and 10. My step-daughters are a load, however. Funny thing, genetics.

I bumped into Peak Oil sometime in March or April, 2006, just 'internetting.' Previously, I viewed Ray Kurzweil as sort of a personal 'guru,' and spent much time considering the cultural ramifications of computers gaining transparent consciousness.

PO has had a profound effect upon me. I am, at this time, very interested in learning and analyzing the nuances of the overall situation. PO has caused me to reevaluate all my ideas, my beliefs, and my core reasoning.

For example, I have always been a strong defender of corporate capitalism because I perceived that the selfishness of the wealthy gave the rest of us good roads, nice computers, plenty of food, and an unlimited future. Nanotechology held out the promise of universal wealth, and computers, the fountain of youth.

What I failed to factor in was . . . energy. Oil. Where is the energy going to come from to drive the wonders of nanotechnology? And that is the horror of Peak Oil.

If corporate capitalism fails in the face of depletion of fossil fuels, then what good was any of the industrial age, at least the way that we have lived that age? My developing thoughts over the past few weeks is that corporate capitalism cannot succeed without an endless supply of cheap oil because it is based, at its core, upon the selfishness of the wealthy elite in conjunction with the control of politics via media influence establishing the thoughts of "common man." And if "Disneyland" is a great place if cheap energy is unlimited, what use is it when the energy is gone?

The most disturbing aspect of PO, for me at least, is this: Without the ingrained philosophy of corporate capitalism controlling the minds of the vast majority of Americans, including mine, perhaps Americans, in conjunction with the world, could find a way through the eye of the PO energy needle. It is my great doubt that classic corporate capitalism, as it exists today, can react in sufficient time to avoid the precipice of cultural destruction that is not necessarily inevitable with the reality of PO, but which will happen if the selfish sit around counting their money, pooh-poohing mathematical facts of resource depletion. Has humanity outsmarted itself?

Furthermore, I hope that my current "doomerism" is simply one phase of one's incipient knowledge of PO, because that is precisely how I feel about the fix the world is in politically, culturally, and intellectually.

Obviously, my thinking is in the early stages. I cling to hope that there is going to be a way through the PO problem. But I must confess that I see no answer at the present time, what with America's current cultural paradigm.

Business as usual is fine. Except when business is not as usual.

God help us all.
XOVERX
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Awi » Tue 06 Jun 2006, 15:26:03

Hello im 19 and an exchange student living in Bolivia, returning to my home in rural upstate NY in a little over 2 weeks. I stumbled upon a PO site not to long ago and got interested in the subject. Living in a society where there isnt as much convenience as in the US (¨What? I have to wash my clothes /by hand!?/") made me look back and begin to wonder just how long constant consumerism can survive. I am not entirely convinced that society will crumble and we will be hunting with spears, but just what is wrong with learning how to be more self-sufficent? Anyway if anyone want to talk message me :)
Awi
Wood
Wood

Unread postby PeakWillie » Tue 06 Jun 2006, 15:59:12

Howdy! Im 34 years old, from southern WI, grew up in northern WI (GB area). Found out about PO on Christmas eve, 2004, when my bro-in-law opened my eyes to things that, at 1st, I couldnt possibly believe to be true. After much research, reading of articles, forums, etc, I started to see the light, and removed myself from the rest of the "herd". Now doing as much reading on the subject (as well as other subjects that'll come in handy in the post peak world) as I can get my hands on. (much to the dismay of my wife, who thinks P.O. may happen, but isnt willing to change her lifestyle for it.

I have 5 other siblings and only one of which believes any of this stuff (half heartedly, though...in fact, it broke up her marriage to the previously mentioned brother-in-law, who kind of hit a self destruct mode and lost it for a few months...but I digress). Frustrating, but what can you do if you cant get them to pick up a book or look at an article and learn a little bit?

Anyways, learned alot over the course of the last year, and I thank you all for posting your experiences and knowledge so that the rest of us "newbies" can learn from you.
PeakWillie
Wood
Wood

Unread postby BMW_rider » Thu 08 Jun 2006, 15:04:49

Hello,

I'm 34 years old, originally from Philadelphia and have been a resident of Northern Virginia since 1999.

I learned about Peak Oil right after Hurricane Katrina hit NO last summer. I was searching the internet for info on gas/oil supply projections and discovered this site. I spent a lot of time lurking and reading the posts and discussions here.

Since that time I've done a lot of reading on PO and have attempted to learn as much as possible on the subject. I hope to continue to learn more from the people on this forum and hope to contribute as well.
BMW_rider
BMW_rider
Wood
Wood

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Thu 08 Jun 2006, 15:13:14

Welcome new people. If you have any problems the code of conduct can't explain justy holler. Welcome to the board. (don't worry the panic will subside).
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Greetings

Unread postby Peakprepper » Fri 16 Jun 2006, 13:47:46

Greetings Earthlings - I come in peace (or should that be peak? - groan).

Long time lurker, first time poster, glad to be here, hope to "meet" a few of you soon.

Excellent site - hope I can learn and contribute.
Peakprepper
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jato » Fri 16 Jun 2006, 14:00:23

Welcome aboard.
jato

Unread postby Peakprepper » Fri 16 Jun 2006, 18:20:45

Thanks Jato - quick question for you all: pages on this site seem to take ages to materialise, much slower than other forums - anyone else notice this?
Peakprepper
Peat
Peat

Re: Old time lurker

Unread postby TreebeardsUncle » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 00:32:12

Hi.
Have also been lurking here for a few months.
First noticed something was up early last spring when the gas prices were well up over $3.00 down by Lake Isabella east of Bakersfield, Ca. Then Hurricane Katrina showed the vulnerability of the current global economic system by impacting its single critical point of failure.

Then started looking around on the web while at my new job this fall back up in Sacramento.
Viewed Kunstler's site, Latoc, and the Energy Bulletin before long.
4 pictures really drove it home:
1. first the one showing world production staying constant the past couple of years
2. second this one showing the price of gas increasing
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8533441/from/RS.2/
3. the page showing the Opec oil reserves jumping suddenly/discontinuously to a substantially greater amount in the mid 80's which is clearly unphysical/impossible
4. this page showing when the various components of the world's oil supply are likely to peak and go into depletion
http://www.raisethehammer.org/index.asp?id=285:
TreebeardsUncle
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Old time lurker

Unread postby TreebeardsUncle » Thu 22 Jun 2006, 23:57:47

Addition to items 1. and 3. above:

1. http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/1/23/7581/17655
That is the one that shows world oil supply in 03 through 05.

3. http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/1/23/7581/17655
Note the same site shows OPEC reserves jumping discontinuously in the mid 80’s.
TreebeardsUncle
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Hello!...And thanks for the education...

Unread postby WildRose » Sat 24 Jun 2006, 01:26:01

Hi, all. I've been meaning to introduce myself for many months, so here goes...

I hail from sunny Alberta. I'm married, have three teenagers and learned about peak oil about a year ago. Quite by accident. I was getting off the elevator after visiting my dad in the hospital when I spotted a Technocracy pamphlet in amongst a basket of Home Care pamphlets for seniors. I was intrigued, picked it up, and read. That pamphlet lead me to the dieoff site first, I believe, and from there I think Matt Savinar's site and evetually peakoil.com. I remember spending almost a whole night reading and another night staring at the ceiling. What's funny about it is that I always knew oil was a finite resource, I just never really thought about exactly what that meant. Last September, my two sons both brought home assignments from school which stated that the world will have oil for another 30 years... not peak in 30 years, but have oil for only 30 more years. I guess that's a credit to our local public school board.

Well, I've now read many articles, forum debates, Paul Roberts' The End of Oil, and I'm about to read Thomas L. Friedman's The World is Flat. I'm just starting to understand many of the converging problems we face. I have especially enjoyed peakoil.com - I really enjoy the debates and have become familiar with a lot of the members' views. THANKS for all your input; I think I'm learning quite a bit.

My husband is in the "don't-worry-it's-just-a-matter-of-time-until-the -markets-decide-to-develop-viable-alternatives" camp. My outlook is a little bleaker. I have imagined the economic hardship, the adaptations we'll have to make, and what the view from the building I work in downtown will look like at night with just a few lights on (if indeed I still have work there)!

One of my main concerns for the area we live in is food supply. Our growing season is only a couple of months long. There are a million of us in this city and surrounding area. Much of our produce comes to our supermarkets from California, Florida, Mexico, South America. I was reading on another thread some time ago about a formula for sustainability that had to do with population of an area and the amount of land needed to grow crops for that population. I just wonder how concerned I should be about this - any ideas?

I'll continue to read here and everywhere that I can. I'm no expert on political matters, geology, economics or climate but I'll contribute where possible.

Again, Hello All!
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Hello!...And thanks for the education...

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sat 24 Jun 2006, 02:25:11

WildRose wrote: One of my main concerns for the area we live in is food supply. Our growing season is only a couple of months long. There are a million of us in this city and surrounding area. Much of our produce comes to our supermarkets from California, Florida, Mexico, South America. I was reading on another thread some time ago about a formula for sustainability that had to do with population of an area and the amount of land needed to grow crops for that population. I just wonder how concerned I should be about this - any ideas?

Welcome Rose!

Visit Pops in the Planning for the Future Forum. If you don't see the answers you are looking for, start a new thread.

Montequest
Senior Moderator
Peakoil.com
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby WildRose » Sat 24 Jun 2006, 05:06:19

Thanks for the suggestion, Monte. Will do.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Andrew_S » Sat 24 Jun 2006, 05:31:18

WildRose wrote:
One of my main concerns for the area we live in is food supply. Our growing season is only a couple of months long. There are a million of us in this city and surrounding area. Much of our produce comes to our supermarkets from California, Florida, Mexico, South America. I was reading on another thread some time ago about a formula for sustainability that had to do with population of an area and the amount of land needed to grow crops for that population. I just wonder how concerned I should be about this - any ideas?

May I ask your general location? Is "couple of months" like "couple of beers"? i.e. 4 or 5. :)
Andrew_S
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby WildRose » Sat 24 Jun 2006, 10:54:07

Hi, Andrew_S.

My location is central Alberta, Canada. Winter here generally lasts about 5 months. The last few winters have been milder but still lasted that long. Generally, seeds are planted in late May and gardens harvested by the end of August, so that's 3 months from start to finish. This spring came a little earlier, so gardeners got a bit of a jump on planting.

Thanks for responding!
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Andrew_S » Sat 24 Jun 2006, 13:58:42

WildRose wrote:Hi, Andrew_S.

My location is central Alberta, Canada. Winter here generally lasts about 5 months. The last few winters have been milder but still lasted that long. Generally, seeds are planted in late May and gardens harvested by the end of August, so that's 3 months from start to finish. This spring came a little earlier, so gardeners got a bit of a jump on planting.

Thanks for responding!

Sounds a bit worse than southern Finland. I suppose wild plants are growing from late April to early September here. And five months or so of real winter (sub-zero).

One good thing is that population density is low but there's a reason for that: short growing season always limited food production. Lots of forest though for wood-heating in winter if things go back to a pre-industrial lifestyle.
Andrew_S
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby WildRose » Sat 24 Jun 2006, 14:00:48

Just wondering, are there any other Canadians (or others who live at points of equally northern latitude) out there who have considered the northern climate/short growing season issue? Also, for Canadians, most of our canned/packaged goods are manufactured in eastern Canada, and this is a big country. As truck transport declines, do you think our rail system will pick up the slack?

Thanks for reading.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ubercynicmeister » Sat 24 Jun 2006, 23:33:06

Welcome Wild Rose, and good luck with the teenagers!
"To Get Rich you have to:

*Get up early;

*Work Hard;

*Strike Oil"

J Paul Getty
ubercynicmeister
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome