Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dentistry

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Do-It-Yourself Health Care

Unread postby Heineken » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 09:58:32

Dental abscesses are potentially very dangerous and should be regarded as much more than merely dental affairs. The infection can spread to your heart or your brain.

The Physicians' Desk Reference is basically a collection of product labels and isn't very useful IMO.

A vastly better reference work on drugs is the AHFS (American Hospital Formulary Service) book put out by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Re: Do-It-Yourself Health Care

Unread postby frankthetank » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 10:40:10

I had a horrible, horrible toothache last winter over a weekend and couldn't get into my dentist (i should have just went to the clinic). I knew the tooth (it had a hole in it the previous summer that had been filled by my dentist--not a good move) would need a root canal or removal. I had it removed a few days later, but after taking 1 penicillin the pain was gone. The doctor who removed the tooth said i had a pocked above the tooth where bacteria were getting into (the gum had receded or something).

SPG-

Do you eat organic foods? (i've went 100% on the meat this summer, but still eat "normal" fruits, veggies).

I'm also done with BPA laced canned goods.

Gave up peanut butter because my wife scared me with an Aflatoxin article--something about all these Africans getting liver cancer because they peanuts that are they mainstay or their diets are poisoning them.

Living up here (45N), i've read that during the winter you can't get Vitamin D from the sun, even it you go outside naked in the frigid temps. Something about the sun index not being high enough (3 or higher).

I'm tempted to just get some T8 5000K bulbs and make my own tanning bed. I've got a bunch of fixtures for my plant growing. I told my wife if she sends money, I'll spend Jan/Feb/March in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico on the beach :)
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

dentist tomorrow

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 17:20:14

I have a large cavity in number 17 caused by the crooked wisdom tooth next to it that is angled placing pressure on it. Do you think I should have the wisdom tooth pulled as well? This is my last one.

I am also considering getting a root canal for number 17 and trying to save the tooth, but I am thinking that is probably too much damn trouble.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Re: dentist tomorrow

Unread postby Polemic » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 18:35:51

jasonraymondson wrote:I have a large cavity in number 17 caused by the crooked wisdom tooth next to it that is angled placing pressure on it. Do you think I should have the wisdom tooth pulled as well? This is my last one.

Pull the wisdom tooth only if it has a cavity too large to fill with a composite (white) filling, or if it is severely impacted below the gumline.

Once the second molar next to it is pulled, the typical reasoning for pulling a wisdom tooth becomes moot.

I am also considering getting a root canal for number 17 and trying to save the tooth, but I am thinking that is probably too much damn trouble.

Save the tooth, lose the patient.

Root canals are toxic, but don't take my word for it (even though I know first-hand.)

Missing a molar sucks, but at least you'll have your health (if the dentist pulls the tooth correctly - otherwise you'll end up with a jawbone cavitation.)

I also would not get a bridge to fill the gap. Crowning healthy teeth is idiotic. If you must fill the gap, get a partial denture.
Polemic
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Niagara » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 20:18:39

The cavity can be fixed without the dentist.

Dentists do what they're taught to do; drill and fill. They don't address the underlying reason for tooth decay which is a mineral deficiency.

Tooth decay is reversible through proper nutrition. Cod liver oil with vitamin K[sub]2[/sub] can work wonders.

Check out this book, much of which is a compilation of Dr. Weston Price's work dating back to the 1920's

Cure Tooth Decay

Your tooth has the capability of repairing itself. The cavity can fill itself back in with tertiary dentin. But it takes some aggressive changes in your diet.
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 20:56:10

Trying to prevent dentist appointments is always a goal for me, but what is funny, is that I grew up in a home until I was 16 was never allowed to brush my teeth, did the once a week floride thing at school. But I had perfectly healthy teeth and never a cavity.

Now that I brush my teeth 4 times a day, I am getting cavity after cavity.

Makes you wonder

Niagara wrote:The cavity can be fixed without the dentist.

Dentists do what they're taught to do; drill and fill. They don't address the underlying reason for tooth decay which is a mineral deficiency.

Tooth decay is reversible through proper nutrition. Cod liver oil with vitamin K[sub]2[/sub] can work wonders.

Check out this book, much of which is a compilation of Dr. Weston Price's work dating back to the 1920's

Cure Tooth Decay

Your tooth has the capability of repairing itself. The cavity can fill itself back in with tertiary dentin. But it takes some aggressive changes in your diet.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ferretlover » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 21:04:58

Just thinking out loud: Get all the dental care you need--your dentist may not be there this time next year.
As for the root canal, every single person I know who has had one eventually got the tooth pulled. They (the teeth) would crack under the cap, or stuff would get wedged under the crown, causing more decay, etc.
And, there's some studies that suggest when getting a filling that you not get silver or other metals--something about increasing your chances of getting nerve damage or something along those lines (you need to look this up-I can't remember all the details) due to the mercury or arsenic... something that is used in the metal filling.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Niagara » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 21:07:18

Brushing is useless, except for cosmetic reasons. You want that smile for your first date to be sans chicken shreds.

Nutrition is the only factor in tooth decay. Weston Price discovered entire populations with nearly 100% immunity to cavities.

He met an old lady, nearly 100 years old who didn't know what a toothbrush was. She still had all her teeth in perfect condition.
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 22:11:08

Niagara wrote:Brushing is useless, except for cosmetic reasons. You want that smile for your first date to be sans chicken shreds.

Nutrition is the only factor in tooth decay. Weston Price discovered entire populations with nearly 100% immunity to cavities.

He met an old lady, nearly 100 years old who didn't know what a toothbrush was. She still had all her teeth in perfect condition.

So what is this diet? Or are you the author :)
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby PrairieMule » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 23:13:35

jasonraymondson wrote:I have a large cavity in number 17 caused by the crooked wisdom tooth next to it that is angled placing pressure on it. Do you think I should have the wisdom tooth pulled as well? This is my last one.

Well there is no better way to radically misdiagnose any condition than to solicit advice from the internet.

That being said I'll share my root canal story. I had a root canal 10 years ago. Point Blank:It Sucks! It took a six shots of novicaine to peel me off the roof. Very painful. I believe it was because they did not give me antibiotics before hand. The inflamation made the procedure a nightmare. Be a brave soldier but not a proud one:take the nitrous oxide. Root canals are very unpleasant.

Oh yeah, let Uncle Sam pay for it. You have earned it

Good Luck.

BTW-On flip side I stopped drinking regular sodas in 2000. No cavities since then.
If you give a man a fish you will have kept him from hunger for a day. If you teach a man to fish he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Location: In a Nigerian compound surrounded by mighty dignataries

Unread postby kankin » Fri 02 Jan 2009, 03:26:07

brush teatth IGHTLY with bocarb of soad (dip wet toothbrush in [owder, whatever clings use. brush lightly then swirl whatever is left around

Brush before you eat anything this is most important.

then brush just after.

eat one meal a day.

You will have NO more cavities.

Bicarb is a great buffer it neutralizes 10 times its weight in bacterial acids that cause cavities.

much cheaper than toothpaste.

pull the bad tooth and leave the wisdom tooth.
kankin
Wood
Wood

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Fri 02 Jan 2009, 19:18:03

Both are out, now I just wait for the immense pain to kick in.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby PrairieMule » Fri 02 Jan 2009, 21:49:12

jasonraymondson wrote:Both are out, now I just wait for the immense pain to kick in.

I got vicodin and watched old Space:1999 episodes when I had my wisdom teeth removed. It felt sooooo good.
If you give a man a fish you will have kept him from hunger for a day. If you teach a man to fish he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Location: In a Nigerian compound surrounded by mighty dignataries

Unread postby dukey » Fri 02 Jan 2009, 21:57:34

make sure you get the mercury fillings
mercury is good for you
the tv says so
dukey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 03 Jan 2009, 09:20:55

i got a root-canal for $110, no crown, no problems since 2000. In my family the sickest person with all health issues imaginable had the best teeth, go figure.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Home dentists of the future

Unread postby katkinkate » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 04:45:13

I'm just now heading into my second sleepless night in a row, due to intermittent and intense toothache. I plan on getting 2 teeth pulled tomorrow and then I'll sleep for 12 hours straight, at least. Tomorrow I look forward to the Novacaine injections that will bring me the first true relief from pain for nearly 72 hours, despite a little too much paracetamol and not enough codeine (which is only controlling the basic background levels of the pain, allowing intense peaks of pain to break through in regular waves).

And then I started thinking, will there be a time and how long will it be before Novacaine and paracetamol, codeine and aspirin, are no longer available? How much pain will I be able to stand waiting for professional attention, before taking a pair of pliers to my own teeth? I have to admit the idea has occurred to me today at various moments when the whole left side of my face feels like it's ready to explode (luckily the moments only last a couple of minutes at a time). I'm sure pulling out a tooth without anaesthetic can't be much more painful than this.

So I was wondering if you would share with me the techniques you know to control toothache. I'm already using the paracetamol/codeine tablets. I'll move to aspirin after the dentist does his thing so I don't bleed more than I have to. I find massaging the gum above the sore tooth helps for a little while and there's an accupressure point on the earlobe, that when pressed, gives some small relief (although I'm not sure how much of that is just distraction). I use other distractions: reading, writing and listening to the radio, went to the Library and had a walk in the sun. I'm avoiding cool drafts, which has been difficult. Today was quite warm and the air conditioning in the busses was on high and I need my fan on in my hot box of an appartment, but any cool draft caressing my cheek becomes agony (well, not quite, but it hurts). Only 2 hours to go before my next dose.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Home dentists of the future

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 05:55:43

OK, I feel for you (:
This question has intrigued me for decades.
As a very early doomer, I got multiple impacted wisdom teeth; for which I decided to forgo treatment. Call me what you will, I did this for 2 reasons.
1/ I wanted to see if I could deal with this "mistake of god"
2/ I had heard that "pain is the root of all true art"
I discovered some things.
I will sum up by saying that very high on the list for survival gear:
hydrogen peroxide (at the strongest grade available, look for 30% but use at about 6%)
Anti biotics.
Soap. (or caustic soda to make)
Yes unfortunately these have a use by date.
Without them billions will die.
The peroxide is best used as a daily mouthscrub at 6 to 8%
but will kill serious infection at 30%+
Read the history of penicillin;
you will find the fungus responsible is one which commonly grows on rockmelon or canteloupe'.
So add rockmelon seeds to the list.
As for painkillers; there is a set of weedy plants known widely as 'dogwood' which grow in swampy areas around the world. These have painkillers in them similar to those found in more infamous plants.
Home dentistry will re-emerge; but we can only hope with some adaptations!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby katkinkate » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 06:08:32

Just found I have crushed cloves in my spice rack. Fashioned 2 little poultices to slide between my teeth and my cheek and voila! another layer of anaesthesia to take the edge off the peaks. Hm, it actually works a little bit.

SeaGypsy, I'm not sure Australia has dogwood. I'll have to investigate. I've heard the penicillin mould is actually poisonous so you could probably only use the unrefined mould on external problems. Good suggestions, thanks.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dunny » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 06:34:56

Toothache is a terrible thing. I feel for you.

I say to my wife that one day, her 12 years of periodontal nursing, and my ability to make ether will make us rich. Dunny's pub and PAINLESS dentistry.

With a leatherman and a 5mm chisel I'd have a go myself actually. Solar powered soldering iron if it gets a bit bloody. Once they were unconscious from the ether how hard could it be?

She thinks I'm joking.

Mick.
dunny
Peat
Peat

Unread postby katkinkate » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 07:34:41

The Australian dogwood is an acacia, from which you can eat the seeds. The anaesthetic bark comes from the Jamaican dogwood which is a different species. It could have been introduced to Aussi by now though.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Medical Issues Forum