Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Foreclosure Thread (merged)

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: 'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure

Unread postby Prince » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 12:27:11

emersonbiggins wrote:They (the TV show) probably had restrictions against selling the home for an immediate profit. After all, it kills the storyline if everyone was to cash out after their free upgrade - why not give the families straight cash?

However, they could certainly have rented the home out and made some cash in the meantime.

They also had a $450,000 equity loan to start a failed construction business venture. Giving them cash wouldn't have solved anything.
Prince
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 12:42:10

Here's a blank for you more creative types out there...

"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 12:46:20

The house was free and clear. They were also given money to pay the property taxes into the future plus given money for their kids college educations. They could have worked at McDonalds and been o.k.

Bottom line................you can't fix stupid.
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 12:49:27

AlexdeLarge wrote:Bottom line................you can't fix stupid.

Boy, howdy! Unbelievable!

[smilie=5dunce.gif]
Ludi

Unread postby Prince » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 12:51:30

emersonbiggins wrote:Image

In addition to the sign, it's quite obvious the the people in the picture were also Photoshopped. There's no way that a black family would go deadbeat on their pay their bills and scam free money and time from volunteers! I'm shocked! Where's the real family portrait?
Prince
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 13:00:33

Doesn't look like they "went deadbeat" it looks like they made a truly horrible business decision. :?
Ludi

Unread postby WildRose » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 15:43:08

I can see this happening with so many people in Alberta in the future. Here, $350,000 or so will buy you a small bungalow. However, you can get a considerably nicer home for $500,000. It's just hard for me to understand why it has to be so difficult for a person or persons to get into a small home. Imagine, even if you manage to save $30,000 for a downpayment, you're still mortgaging $320,000. It's just crazy. What's going to happen when the jobs aren't here anymore?
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Twilight » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 16:05:32

Tyler_JC wrote:That's because most people don't understand the concept of maintenance costs.

If I recall correctly, there is an Indian proverb which states that the way to impoverish a man is to give him an elephant.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kpeavey » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 16:41:12

If all money and things of value were divided equally among all the people in the world, within a couple of years, most of it would be right where it is now. Stupid people are broke and homeless because they make the decisions that keep them that way.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mercurygirl » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 17:30:18

Ludi wrote:Why don't they ever build a nice little modest energy efficient home? Why always a ridiculous mansion? It really bugs me.

Me too, no, it infuriates me. Give me that money and I'd be thrilled with a cute little cottage with a big garden and a cellar. My God, they had life pretty much paid for!

Whoever singled those people out as "deserving" must have got suckered bigtime, because from the tone of a couple articles, they sound like total asshats. I believe the woman is maintaining "harassment" on the part of the bank. Well, duh.
Who in the world could possibly think that a massive loan for a construction business would be a good idea now? "Business wasn't good, it's not our fault." Christ in a sidecar.

Sorry to say it, but they deserve to live in a van.
mercurygirl
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby strider3700 » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 18:08:59

They used the house as collateral on a $450,000 loan. Whatever they spent that money on looks like it was a total failure and now they're back to screwed. I wonder what the business was that lost them so much so quickly.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Foreclosure filings up 120%

Unread postby Ache » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 00:53:44

More foreclosure gloom

As foreclosures continue to soar, 220,000 homes were lost to bank repossessions in the second quarter, according to a housing market report Friday issued by RealtyTrac.

That's nearly triple the number from the same period in 2007.

A total of 739,714 foreclosure filings were recorded during that three-month period, up 14% from the first quarter, and 121% from the same period in 2007. That means that one of every 171 U.S. households received a filing, which include notices of default, auction sale notices and bank repossessions.

"We've been saying foreclosures will total 1.9 million to 2 million this year," he said. "But midway through the year, we're already at 1.4 million so we're going to be raising our projections."

"I don't think that's a surprise if you look at the general conditions out there," said Brian Bethune, chief financial economist for Global Insight. "There have been six straight moves of weaker employment this year. The ongoing problems in the housing market are compounded by a generally weaker economy. Foreclosures won't go down until we start to see employment move up again."
Ache
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Eli » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 01:39:33

I would bet it was a bad restaurant. 450.000 sounds like a lot of money before you do the build.

I bet it was one of those places that you walk in that has a sign that says now open . You order, and wait way too long in a place with a terrible atmosphere and decor on your terrible meal.

One of those places where you know that even though they have only been open for a couple of weeks they will be closed in 6 months.
Eli
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mercurygirl » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 01:59:52

Jeez, don't you guys read?

It was a friggin' construction business in the worst housing market in years. Most likely, poorly conceived and managed. The second worst investment after a bad restaurant. How much more ignorant does it get, especially if you don't need to make a lot of money? Delusions of grandeur, I suppose.
mercurygirl
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Arsenal » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 09:16:21

kpeavey wrote:If all money and things of value were divided equally among all the people in the world, within a couple of years, most of it would be right where it is now. Stupid people are broke and homeless because they make the decisions that keep them that way.

Very true. Start a business with the money you save by not having to pay for a house. Start small and then work your way up. They risked everything for a bigger business without knowing whether or not it would float. Stupid..

Arsenal
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Foreclosure filings up 120%

Unread postby some_guy282 » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 09:23:40

This definitely means we've hit bottom. Now is the perfect time to buy a home! :roll:
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule. – Nietzsche

Time makes more converts than reason. – Thomas Paine

History is a set of lies agreed upon. – Napoleon Bonaparte
some_guy282
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 09:36:34

We sold a house a few years back. Asking price is now 150k less than what they paid us for it. Ouch.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 10:33:35

"construction business" = dice game gone bad

:oops:

"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 12:43:48

Peak foreclosure?

Or peak ability of lenders to process foreclosures? Why hire extra help to foreclose on a house that won't sell anyway.
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby threadbear » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 13:49:55

Anything donated to individuals, families, who have a track record of poor judgement, should be placed in a trust, in their names, but administered by someone else. They pretty much deserve it if they end up on the street. What did they do, snort the $450,000.?
threadbear
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion