Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Cancer Thread (merged)

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: THE Cancer Thread (merged)

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 14 Dec 2011, 06:08:53

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:31:32

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby PhebaAndThePilgrim » Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:19:38

Pops: Thanks for the article. It really hits home. When I was taking care of Mom I was fighting both the doctors, the system, my sister, and my Mom's sisters, and a sister-in-law, all who refused to acknowledge that my Mom was dying.
I was in hospice counseling as mom's caregiver. The hospice counselor and others told me that I had no right to tell my Mom she was dying. It was not my job to remove her hope. According to the counselor and others, if my Mom wanted to know her prognosis, she would have asked. She never did.
I had my Moms actual CT scan on her liver. I took it when we traveled to cancer clinics. Mom never looked at it, and other family members never saw it. I did, and I knew, but I could never tell anybody. I carried a heavy burden, and for many months I carried it alone, while family members sought out cures.
One of my aunts was very angry at me because she wanted to take my mom to Minnesota to have her liver tumor frozen. You can freeze small liver tumors. I tried to tell her Moms tumors were the size of a softball, but she would not listen. I sent a copy of the CT scan and the doctors in Minnesota called my aunt and told her Moms tumors were too large, but she still refused to accept the prognosis. I was really stuck in a very bad place, not just with my Mom, but with other family members.
Pheba.
PhebaAndThePilgrim
Expert
Expert

GMO corn linked to cancer tumors

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 08 Jan 2013, 23:54:30

GMO corn linked to cancer tumors

Eating genetically modified corn (GMO corn) has caused rats to develop horrifying tumors, widespread organ damage, and premature death. That's the conclusion of a shocking new study that looked at the long-term effects of consuming Monsanto's genetically modified corn. The study was published in The Food & Chemical Toxicology Journal and was just presented at a news conference in London.

The study has been deemed "the most thorough research ever published into the health effects of GMO food crops and the herbicide Roundup on rats." News of the horrifying findings is spreading fast, with even the mainstream media in shock over the photos of rats with multiple grotesque tumors; tumors so large the rats even had difficulty breathing in some cases. GMOs may be the new thalidomide.

"Monsanto Roundup weedkiller and GMO maize implicated in 'shocking' new cancer study" wrote The Grocery, a popular UK publication.
It reported, "Scientists found that rats exposed to even the smallest amounts, developed mammary tumors and severe liver and kidney damage as early as four months in males, and seven months for females."

The Daily Mail reported, "Fresh row over GMO foods as French study claims rats fed the controversial crops suffered tumors."

It goes on to say: "The animals on the GMO diet suffered mammary tumors, as well as severe liver and kidney damage. The researchers said 50 percent of males and 70 percent of females died prematurely, compared with only 30 percent and 20 percent in the control group."

foodmatters
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: GMO corn linked to cancer tumors

Unread postby Narz » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:58:09

Yum yum!

Chances the American public will care = <1%
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jupiters_release » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 22:46:09

Narz wrote:Yum yum!

Chances the American public knows = <1%

fixed

I remember GMO's being defended here many times. Surely after so many years of proof, there can be no argument made for it any longer. Of course a sane person could say the same for 911 yet those threads never die. You'll see Alex Jones throwing a tantrum on CNN about inside job but we'll never see a scientist on CNN covering the GMO genocide/ecocide. Kill 3,000 people in a controlled demolition and it's a national tragedy, kill millions through food/water and it's a statistic. 8O

If you really think about it, 'geneticide' affecting all future generations is much worse than mere genocide.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 19:36:55

This is a controversial topic but I don't think the issue will go away. Here are a couple more reports which could prompt you to look deeper into GMO.

Genetically modified foods: Major media reports reveal serious risks, dangers

"French scientists said ... that rats fed on Monsanto's genetically modified corn or exposed to its top-selling weedkiller suffered tumors and multiple organ damage. The researchers said 50 percent of males and 70 percent of females died prematurely, compared with only 30 percent and 20 percent in the control group. GMOs are deeply unpopular in Europe and many other countries, but dominate key crops in the United States."
-- MSNBC/Reuters article on a two-year study of rats fed genetically modified foods, 9/19/2012

Are genetically modified foods helpful or harmful? Monsanto and the food industry have poured $35 million into a campaign in California against Proposition 37, which would require the labeling of foods which contain genetically modified (GM) contents. Though over 60 countries require GM food labeling, no state in the U.S. has this requirement. Yet as the major media articles below have shown, over 90% of polled U.S. residents would rather have the right to know.

The huge industry campaign against GM labeling in California has clearly had an effect. Poll results show that in late September 67% of respondents favored Proposition 37, yet by Oct. 10th that number had dropped below 50%, largely as a result of incessant advertising sponsored by Monsanto and other major food corporations. Sadly, proponents of labeling have less than $5 million to present information on the many studies showing how harmful genetically modified foods can be.

Below are highly revealing news articles reported in the major media which reveal the many risks and dangers of GM foods, as well as the intense and deceptive campaign by big industry to promote these foods as healthy and avoid labeling. Links are provided to many reliable sources showing the harmful effects of these foods. Please read below, spread the word, and see our "What you can do" section below the article summaries. Thanks for caring and for making a difference in our world.

examiner

The latest GMO study raises more questions than it answers

It’s been hard to avoid hearing about the recent study [PDF] linking GMO corn and pesticide (Roundup) exposure to tumor growth and early death in rats. Most major news organizations have picked it up, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, the Chicago Tribune, NPR, and the LA Times.

The study itself, published in the peer-reviewed journal Food and Chemical Toxicology, was performed by Gilles-Eric Seralini, head of the Committee for Independent Research and Information on Genetic Engineering and a scientist who is a self-described opponent of genetically modified food.

The group that co-sponsored the research, the U.K.’s Sustainable Food Trust, declared it to be the first “lifetime feeding trial” of GMOs’ effects in rats; Seralini and his team followed the rats for two years — the full lifespan of the animal. Most GMO rat feeding studies last no longer than 90 days — the equivalent to a much longer period in human terms, of course.

Still, it’s worth noting that GMOs entered the marketplace less than 20 years ago, and there haven’t been any lifetime feeding studies of their effects in humans. So it’s worth paying attention to what Seralini has done. Here’s how he constructed the study, as summarized by The New York Times:

The rats in the study were split into 10 groups, each containing 10 male and 10 female rats. Six of the groups were fed different amounts of a corn developed by Monsanto to be resistant to the herbicide Roundup. In some cases the corn had been sprayed in the field with Roundup.

Three other groups were given different doses of Roundup in their drinking water, with the lowest dose corresponding to what might be found in tap water in the United States, the authors said.

The 10th group, the control, was fed nonengineered corn and plain water.

The study found that in groups that ate the engineered corn, up to 50 percent of the males and 70 percent of the females died before they would have from normal aging, compared with 30 percent of the males and 20 percent of the females in the control group.

Some 50 to 80 percent of the female rats developed tumors compared with only 30 percent of the controls. And there were several times as many cases of liver and kidney injury in the exposed rats.

Other scientists immediately criticized the structure of the study, the findings, and Seralini himself. Both Monsanto and the Food and Drug Administration responded with a more guarded “we’ll review it and get back to you.”

grist
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jupiters_release » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 22:15:50

Graeme wrote:This is a controversial topic but I don't think the issue will go away.

Of course not, you think Monsanto's gonna genetically engineer itself a conscience and end its entire business model? :roll:

It's probably the company that built the Georgia Guidestones. :|
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 19:41:17

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Study lists dangerous chemicals linked to breast cancer

Unread postby Ferretlover » Mon 12 May 2014, 13:00:05

“Certain chemicals that are common in everyday life have been shown to cause breast cancer in lab rats and are likely to do the same in women, US researchers said Monday.
The paper in the peer-reviewed journal Environmental Health Perspectives lists 17 chemicals to avoid and offers women advice on how to minimize their exposure.
They include chemicals in gasoline, diesel and other vehicle exhaust, flame retardants, stain-resistant textiles, paint removers, and disinfection byproducts in drinking water.
Some of the biggest sources of mammary carcinogens in the environment are benzene and butadiene, which can come from vehicle exhaust, lawn equipment, tobacco smoke and charred food.
Other concerns are cleaning solvents like methylene chloride, pharmaceuticals used in hormone replacement therapy, some flame retardants, chemicals in stain-resistant textiles and nonstick coatings, and styrene which comes from tobacco smoke and is also used to make Styrofoam, the study said.
Carcinogens can also be found in drinking water, researchers said.
"Every woman in America has been exposed to chemicals that may increase her risk of getting breast cancer," said co-author Julia Brody. MSN
Last edited by Tanada on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 12:33:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken link
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Re: Study lists dangerous chemicals linked to breast cancer

Unread postby dissident » Tue 13 May 2014, 22:23:57

pstarr wrote:Carbs cause cancer. National Institutes of Health
"Is there a role for carbohydrate restriction in the treatment and prevention of cancer?"

The evidence builds that our cancer epidemic (and heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, strokes) is caused by evil grain merchants, not evil chemical corporations.

It's no a case of either/or but "all of the above". Air pollution has a large impact on arterial plaque formation and acts in synergistically with a poor diet. This is verified by rat studies. I will take these over the inane rabbit studies with powdered eggs (oxidized cholesterol) done in the 1960s that form the basis of most current government policy on health. Rabbits are not human analogues and don't even develop heart disease in any form that matters.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Cancer in Louisiana Oil & Gas Country Highest in Nation

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 10 Oct 2014, 12:53:58

LSU Health tumor registry data find acadiana colon cancer rates among nation's highest
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-10-l ... diana.html
This study appears to be the first to identify a high rate of cancer in a large, regional, US founder population, raising the possibility of a genetic predisposition. Alternatively, an unidentified, robust environmental risk factor may be present. (Must not mention the obvious because they fund the college football team)

Image: http://dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/images/ ... 031808.jpg
Image: http://dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/images/ ... p_2002.jpg
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Cancer in Louisiana Oil & Gas Country Highest in Nation

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 10 Oct 2014, 14:18:08

pstarr wrote:It could be all those chicken-fried steaks they eat that causes the illnesses? Just sayin'

And what do you deep-fry those chicken-fried steaks in??? :) Just sayin'
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Fri 10 Oct 2014, 20:26:56

Not a surprise considering all the aeromatic hydrocarbon emissions in the area. Cancer guaranteed.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wildbourgman » Mon 20 Oct 2014, 09:39:53

Ok, the area in question is known as Cancer Alley and we don't eat much chicken fried steak.

We eat alot of local seafood both boiled and deep fried and we drink a good bit too, beer is treated like a soft drink. Now on the cancer/oilfeild thing you should probably note that Cancer alley is down river of many petro chemcal plants and is on the area where they Mississippi river's distributaries flow into the Gulf of Mexico. As a native of this area I'm pretty sure the high cancer rate can be blamed on many factors and not just the oilfield. How much poison goes in the river from non oilfield states ?

Even if the oilfield was soley to blame I would dare say the trade off of our lifestyle versus living longer would be a tough choice for many. To give up our food and culture is one thing but when you have kids coming out of highschool stepping into six figure jobs makes the oilfield is very hard to demonize.

Houma and Lafayette area for instance has a extremely low unemployment rate and it was declared the happiest areas in America. Sure a high cancer rate is bad but living three of four financial levels above your education is tough to turn your back on.

http://www.wilmott.com/blogs/irismack/i ... in-America
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

cancer pandemic and fraud

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 10:16:47

Reading some interesting articles about the pandemic of Cancer especially in US. What appears is that statistics about Cancer do not appear to be reflecting the reality. The incidence of cancer as well as the long term mortality figures probably are misleading if not false. We are being now bombarded with bad food such as GMO and pesticides like Roundup. Also the treatment as described in the article below is not effective. I am speaking about Chemo-therapy. At best it seems it is just somewhat prolonging the life of people. In the meantime healthcare industry is making tons of money from these medicines. So what do others think?
http://www.heartcom.org/CancerEpidemic.htm
http://www.cureyourowncancer.org/exposi ... ments.html
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: cancer pandemic and fraud

Unread postby Pops » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 10:40:44

Life expectancy has increased by 2 years since Roundup.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Medical Issues Forum