Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Patriot Act Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Robot Signs Patriot Act

Unread postby Loki » Sat 28 May 2011, 15:40:24

Obama is a little wooden sometimes, but I wouldn't call him a robot. :wink:

Yay, more Patriot Act! Glad to see the freedumb lubbers in DC are doing their job protecting the country against its citizens.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mattduke » Sun 29 May 2011, 09:35:00

I'm surprised by the lack of discussion on this topic.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Sun 29 May 2011, 12:03:20

Its a fricken' shame that no one's built anything like Skynet.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Sun 29 May 2011, 12:38:16

Found this, FBI survelliance of a non violent protestor:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43208176/ns ... york_times
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Rand Paul's Battle Against The Patriot Act

Unread postby mattduke » Tue 31 May 2011, 23:20:48

Rand Paul speaks eloquently in opposition to the Patriot Act.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ4HON06hZU
Last edited by Ferretlover on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 09:42:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged threads.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Rand Paul's Battle Against The Patriot Act

Unread postby EOTWAWKI » Wed 01 Jun 2011, 00:04:07

First time I've seen him on the right correct progressive side of an issue. I guess even a broken clock tells the right time once in a while. I don't think you will get very far pushing all that libertarian government-is-evil-corporations-are-good stuff on this forum but you are welcome to try. :P
EOTWAWKI
Permanently Banned

Unread postby annalynB » Wed 01 Jun 2011, 00:46:43

Three provisions of the domestic security laws that allow for highly controversial surveillance procedures would have expired. It is virtually impossible to tell the difference between a genuine signature and an autosignature. The machines, according to MSNBC, vary in complexity from simply tracing a template to far more mechanically complex machines. Autopens are frequently used by government officials, astronauts and business executives.
annalynB
Wood
Wood

Unread postby annalynB » Wed 01 Jun 2011, 00:51:13

Obama recently finalized a bill renewing parts of the Patriot Act. The President is currently in Europe. The bill, however, would have gone to his desk for signing and not his fax line. The finalizing of the bill is itself debatable, as the President signed it using a signature-replicating machine called an autopen. President renews Patriot Act from Europe by using a robotic autopen, newstype.com. An autopen is a mechanical device that reproduces a person’s signature. It is virtually impossible to tell the difference between a genuine signature and an autosignature. Signature and letter duplication machines were known as polygraphs in the 19th century, and Thomas Jefferson actually built one. Autopens are frequently used by government officials, astronauts and business executives.
annalynB
Wood
Wood

Unread postby stephankrasner » Wed 01 Jun 2011, 01:47:27

http://youtu.be/8mPZlysCAm0

It's sad, but Obama chose security over freedom yet again. At least that's one thing we can count on Post-Peak; politicians will still be two-faced.
stephankrasner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mattduke » Wed 01 Jun 2011, 17:53:36

pstarr wrote:
annalynB wrote:Autopens are frequently used by government officials, astronauts and business executives.
Can Autopens post to internet forums?

I was wondering that, too.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: THE Patriot Act Thread (merged)

Unread postby Cog » Wed 31 Aug 2011, 19:04:14

Nice.

Now we have Bush-Lite in office.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 31 Aug 2011, 20:18:00

I know how to get rid of the Patriot Act.

Secession.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Tue 13 Sep 2011, 20:48:15

peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Tue 13 Sep 2011, 20:52:34

peeker01 wrote:Behold katsung47.......

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=gsi ... 80&bih=715

Just what we need here. :lol: :lol:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Wed 13 May 2015, 10:10:36

US Congress to vote on bill banning NSA from bulk-collecting phone calls
Practice revealed by Edward Snowden – collection of metadata of all US phone calls – being debated

Less than a week after a US appeals court delivered a stinging legal rebuke to the National Security Agency’s bulk collection of US phone data, the House of Representatives is set to vote on the most domestically controversial of Edward Snowden’s revelations.

Passage on a bipartisan basis is expected for the USA Freedom Act on Wednesday, a bill that seeks to stop the NSA from collecting the metadata of all US phone calls. The White House announced its support for the bill, which faces two-pronged opposition from civil libertarians who consider it insufficient and the GOP Senate leader who seeks to preserve the domestic surveillance.

The Senate is largely split into three factions on the issue of surveillance: GOP leaders and intelligence hawks who want to keep the NSA programs intact; a bipartisan group that has introduced its own version of the USA Freedom Act; and civil liberties advocates who want to end the bulk collection entirely.

Good, balanced article at the Guardian
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 30 May 2015, 09:10:28

Is everyone READY for the big Sunday SHOWDOWN?!

more

The Senate is heading for a showdown Sunday over the expiring surveillance powers of the National Security Agency, with Sen. Mitch McConnell calling the session to pass an extension before a midnight deadline.

McConnell has called his colleagues back for the unusual Sunday meeting to try to beat the deadline.

The USA Freedom Act would alter the Patriot Act by reigning in the bulk collection program exposed by government security contractor Edward Snowden while leaving other authorities intact. That legislation is backed by the administration and passed the House 338-88 on May 13.

Alternatively, congressional negotiators are discussing ways to tweak the House legislation to more gradually transition the holding of bulk telephone data from the government to telecommunication companies like Verizon Communications Inc and AT&T Inc.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sun 31 May 2015, 10:35:38

I'd feel much better with my private information in the hands of a corporation, as we all know they are totally benign whereas the gov is ultimate evil.

(Oops, 2 posts in a row with the word "evil" — must be Sunday)
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 31 May 2015, 10:40:21

Pops wrote:I'd feel much better with my private information in the hands of a corporation, as we all know they are totally benign whereas the gov is ultimate evil.

(Oops, 2 posts in a row with the word "evil" — must be Sunday)

Personally I want my private information to stay in my private hands, but computers pretty much eliminate that as a possibility.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to North America Discussion