Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Movie: The "Collapse" Thread (merged)

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: "Collapse" (2009) torrent up

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 15 Dec 2009, 18:18:10

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_(King_James)/1_Timothy#6:10

It's in the Book of Timothy. 6:10. No doubt that's what he's talking about. Most people somewhat familiar with the Bible would understand what he means by 'a Christian named 'Timothy'.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 15 Dec 2009, 18:40:55

There really were some macaque monkeys who washed their sweet potatoes. One monkey started it and soon others joined in. But even after six years not all the monkeys saw the benefit of washing the grit off of their potatoes by dipping them into the sea.

(from the monkey story link posted above)

I had a nagging doubt when Ruppert told this story. In his version, it's the US Air Force teaching monkeys to wash radioactivity off the coconuts after a test bombing on some atoll -- so all the nukes and air force stuff was total fiction then??? He just made it up?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 15 Dec 2009, 18:47:52

Mike isn't reaching out to expierenced PO'ers in this film, so of coarse there is nothing new in there. Mike, I am sure you follow this site, if so, thanks for all you have done. You are the reason I found PO. I heard you on Rense.com one night and the rest is history. You are also the one who turned me on to 911 being an inside job. Crossing the Rubicon was outstanding. Thanks again Mike.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 15 Dec 2009, 20:42:18

Ludi wrote:
mcgowanjm wrote:Again D Orlov and 2010 predictions:
In particular, organized crime rings will start using data mining software to identify lightly guarded cabins and compounds in Montana and other remote locations

That's hilarious!

Is he joking or does he really believe that? Sounds like a Conan O'Brien sketch.
mos6507

Unread postby zoidberg » Wed 16 Dec 2009, 01:33:10

Hooray!
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby HeckuvaJob » Wed 16 Dec 2009, 01:36:22

efarmer wrote:A fella sure gets tired of eating the same old doomburger helper
night after night. Sure would be nice if the snuff peddlers would
make a little conspiracy spice cake or fright pie for dessert once
in awhile. But no, it's doomburger helper and a browned pound of
ground zombie.
You are what you eat. Doom, it's what's for dinner. Again.
I am in the mood for something fishy, I think I will go watch
CSPAN instead.

Any estimates on peak cliche'?
Some members seem to be burning through our reserves.
HeckuvaJob
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Carlhole » Wed 16 Dec 2009, 02:10:36

TheDude wrote:
Carlhole wrote:"Collapse" offers nothing new for me. I've heard (or thought about) all these things for about 10 years now. In fact, I can't think of so much as a tidbit of new information I gleaned from the film. Watching this film is exactly like perusing PeakOil.com.

Guess I'll give up on posting here again then. Does he dis Obama? Are there artificial cat brains?

What's wrong with artificial brains running on a exaflop supercomputer? Beats talking about all the usual rehashed garbage.

And Al Gore himself kicked off the recent Portland supercomputing conference saying supercomputers were probably our most powerful tools for solving some of the world's biggest problems - including energy. Supercomputers and their applications aren't so far wide from the environmental mainstream.
Carlhole

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 16 Dec 2009, 03:20:53

Well, well. Just finished watching it and I almost feel like retracting some of my merciless bashing. I can understand why the film is getting attention. It is its own thing rather than being an outright clone of What a Way to Go.

It kind of freaks me out that the guy is living in the town I ran away from. Maybe if I were still there now I'd have tried to say hi as a brother in doom, even if he may be a sexual harasser.
mos6507

Unread postby Carlhole » Wed 16 Dec 2009, 04:50:01

mos6507 wrote:Well, well. Just finished watching it and I almost feel like retracting some of my merciless bashing. I can understand why the film is getting attention. It is its own thing rather than being an outright clone of What a Way to Go.

It kind of freaks me out that the guy is living in the town I ran away from. Maybe if I were still there now I'd have tried to say hi as a brother in doom, even if he may be a sexual harasser.

If you ask me, Ruppert is an alcoholic who fell off the wagon. Hit another bottom and is now trying to redeem himself once again with his friends at AA.

Ruppert interview 2001

...It's not just that I am a former narcotics investigator with the LAPD; I am also a recovering alcoholic who has sponsored men in recovery for 17 years. I've served on the board of directors of the National Council on Alcoholism. Alcohol is a drug. I have written more than 35 articles in the US Journal of Drug and Alcohol Dependence on treatment of addiction, recovery from addiction. The issue with drugs is this: people are going to get addicted no matter what you do, and a certain percentage of any population will always get addicted.

The man just seemed to crack up in 2003-04. What do you think the most likely explanation?
Carlhole

Unread postby lonewolf » Wed 16 Dec 2009, 21:38:52

He is correct about at least this much. Any/all urban gorilla, flower or society's child, flat-earther, talking-snake, green-monkey, hopium addict, militant-ignorant, wanton-delusional, crapitalist-connedsummer, destroyers-of-worlds, et al. shows-up around/out here uninvited in 'lonewolf country' ARE getting <expletive> shot, on sight, then fed to the dogs and/or bears, coyotes, eagles ... (altitude/location dependent). No notice, warning, 'listening to reason', mercy, burial and/or bedtime-story provided. We 'simple mountain-folk' refer to this thankless uncompensated volunteer service provided in defense of our dear (sick and dying) Mother Earth, variously as: moron-mitigation, monkey-management, premeditated-recycling, predator-control, uncommon-good-sense, scavenger-provisioning, dispassionate-charity, and practice-makes-fkn-perfect. However, not one will ever make it this far (here). I reckon I have a highly-effective long-established perimeter force comprising 10-20 layers deep, out to at least 300-mile radius. Incoming vermin and sundry coyote-bait don't have a clue or a prayer, here, or most other places soon if not already.
OTOH, solders and operatives actively engaged in mortal combat with the Dark Farce and Lord(s) Moron are encouraged to transmit clear-channel non-encrypted comprehensive specifics WRT operational capabilities, intent (standing orders), timeline, strategic resources and logistical capacity vs requirement in consideration of transit or (temporary or permanent) encampment request(s). Lest anyone think' that they think that I jest, don't 'think', KNOW.
lonewolf
Permanently Banned

Unread postby lonewolf » Thu 17 Dec 2009, 02:22:56

pstarr wrote:Havin' fun tonight?

"Why certainly," I know how to have piles of fun while being deadly serious.
In fact, most things worth doing are fun for me when I know what I'm doing and why.
lonewolf
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Koyaanisqatsi » Thu 17 Dec 2009, 03:33:12

Carlhole wrote:If you ask me, Ruppert is an alcoholic who fell off the wagon. Hit another bottom and is now trying to redeem himself once again with his friends at AA.

I don't get it Carl, you of all people should know better to attack the message and not the messenger.
Koyaanisqatsi
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 17 Dec 2009, 15:08:17

Maybe Ruppert is like Icarus flying too close to the sun and getting burnt.

Some people can't handle the truth, and the closer they are to the absolute truth, the less they can handle it.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby bshirt » Thu 17 Dec 2009, 18:02:58

pstarr wrote:
Koyaanisqatsi wrote:
Carlhole wrote:If you ask me, Ruppert is an alcoholic who fell off the wagon. Hit another bottom and is now trying to redeem himself once again with his friends at AA.

I don't get it Carl, you of all people should know better to attack the message and not the messenger.
I was thinking the same thing. I have pity for people like both of them: Intense, damaged by life, fighters. We the comfortable have no idea.

Yup.

It's easy taking potshots from the grandstands.
bshirt
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby davep » Thu 17 Dec 2009, 19:17:22

I've just watched it. Good stuff. I especially liked him saying that all we have is our minds. Maybe he visits here, or reads Buddha.

There are a few things I'd take issue with, but overall I think his presentation had power. It may just help a few of my friends to go further...

Does anyone know where we can donate him some cash? I do feel a bit guilty getting the movie from bittorrent, and I'm sure a bit of cash wouldn't hurt him (given the bit at the end about being behind on his rent). Call me a sucker if you like, but even if he's doing OK; I'd like to thank him for his efforts.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Fri 18 Dec 2009, 10:40:01

I watched it last night. I also have to agree that it is mostly good stuff though, from time to time, he set my teeth on edge, more by presentation than content.

I have to agree with davep, the best part was the passionate articulation that if we are to survive we need to believe that there is a way to survive and then act on that faith. The person watching next to me did not understand that part and got a little mocking, I had to lay into them.

Nothing really new, but a good watch. The boy does seem "a little off" at times but that does not mean that he is wrong. I think he is 90% right. I would only take issue with his expectation that human society will evolve. 1) human socieites are not monolithic 2) it is hard to pick and choose. In other words, it is difficult to keep what we want from the Enlightenment while retaining what we want from earlier (more) "steady state" cultures. You can culture stasis and a priority for the whole or you can culture dynamism and individualism but try to keep them compartmentalized so that individual freedom is somehow restrained by social responsibility yet still truly free?

Good luck with that.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Stonemason » Sun 20 Dec 2009, 02:14:23

davep wrote:Does anyone know where we can donate him some cash? I do feel a bit guilty getting the movie from bittorrent, and I'm sure a bit of cash wouldn't hurt him (given the bit at the end about being behind on his rent). Call me a sucker if you like, but even if he's doing OK; I'd like to thank him for his efforts.

The movie wasn't made by him (and wasn't even supposed to be about him) and he wasn't even paid for his time. Donations would be great, but don't feel bad for him because you got it off bittorrent, the make of the movie is the one "suffering" for that.
Stonemason
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews