Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Casual Marijuana Use Causes Brain Damage

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Harvard study: casual marijuana use causes brain damage

Unread postby JacobMadison » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 10:35:33

Plantagenet wrote:Who do you imagine is poisoning people who smoke pot? And how do they find them all? And how do they get the lead inside them?

Ask Rick Snyder.
JacobMadison
Wood
Wood

Unread postby C8 » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 12:17:56

A few common sense observations I think very few here will disagree with:

1. humans bodies can be very different from each other in terms of drug reactions

2. as weed is sold more openly it will be chemically tweaked into a more addictive and powerful substance for sales purposes (and possibly more risk to the brain in other ways as an unintended collateral). Capitalism 101.

3. the more people, as a whole, who use a drug- the more bad reactions will occur by those who the drug impacts in a bad way. This is just statistics as use rises.

Looked at in this way, the number of negative effects of weed must grow over time. Its just the interplay of biology, capitalism, and statistics.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 12:35:27

C8 wrote:A few common sense observations I think very few here will disagree with:

1. humans bodies can be very different from each other in terms of drug reactions

2. as weed is sold more openly it will be chemically tweaked into a more addictive and powerful substance for sales purposes (and possibly more risk to the brain in other ways as an unintended collateral). Capitalism 101.

3. the more people, as a whole, who use a drug- the more bad reactions will occur by those who the drug impacts in a bad way. This is just statistics as use rises.

Looked at in this way, the number of negative effects of weed must grow over time. Its just the interplay of biology, capitalism, and statistics.

Just add nicotine, it worked for tobacco.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 12:39:39

Yes but does any of that negate the beneficial aspects of weed? I think not.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 13:13:22

pstarr wrote:Alcohol moves folks outward in a more sociable or even aggressive way especially if they drink too much. Weed does the opposite, it shuts off stimulation and sends people inward into their minds, man

A reasonable response in our hyperactive media culture--blinky billboards, CNN fake news, sports gabber, sexy pinups, bright automobiles with ridiculous custom headlights. :-x Who doesn't want to shut that sh@t off? Planty doesn't need quiet. He's stuck up in the featureless, white hell where nothing happens. They're drunks in the Great White North not stoners. Well except for Sarah Palin lol

Yep we need more mellow people :razz:
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 02 Feb 2016, 23:00:54

Marijuana users' vocabulary shrinks in middle age-.

Cannabis-DOES-long-term-effects-Regular-use-cause-vocabulary-shrink-middle-age

Allow me to translate that for you, PeterS---it means old stoners can't remember big words any more. :)

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 00:19:47

Flibbettygibbets! Gobbledygook & hobgoblins!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 02:10:41

pstarr wrote: I can string together words into a cogent sentence. Does anyone have an idea what 'Cannabis-DOES-long-term-effects-Regular-use-cause-vocabulary-shrink-middle-age' means?

I didn't write that sentence Peter. Thats from the URL address for this news story---thats why there are hyphens between each word. If you'd ever link to an article yourself you'd know that.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 07:31:39

I heard a blind deaf mute can find your place by the wafting kind...

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U33 using Tapatalk
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby careinke » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 14:51:45

Plant you may want to adjust you drug of choice.

Study Shows Marijuana 114 Times Safer Than Drinking Alcohol

We have been led to believe that marijuana is a dangerous and addictive drug that destroys lives and is a far greater risk than other recreational drugs such as alcohol. Governments have tried diligently to to convince the public that people who use pot are more at risk to themselves and the public than those who use alcohol. As the debate over marijuana legalization continues, a new study now shows that smoking the controversial plant is about 114 times safer than drinking alcohol.

http://preventdisease.com/news/15/022615_Marijuana-114-Times-Safer-Than-Drinking-Alcohol.shtml

Also in the article was this list (with explanations):

10 REASONS CANNABIS IS SAFER THAN ALCOHOL

1. Many people die from alcohol use. Nobody dies from cannabis use.

2. People die from alcohol overdoses. There has never been a fatal cannabis overdose.

3. The health-related costs associated with alcohol use far exceed those for cannabis use.

4. This one is for you PLANT 4. Alcohol use damages the brain. Cannabis use does not. Despite the myths we've heard throughout our lives about cannabis killing brain cells, it turns out that a growing number of studies seem to indicate that cannabis actually has neuroprotective properties. This means that it works to protect brain cells from harm. Research published in the journals Behavioural Brain Research and Experimental Brain Research demonstrated that even extremely low doses of THC (cannabis's psychoactive component) -- around 1,000 to 10,000 times less than that in a conventional cannabis cigarette -- can jumpstart biochemical processes which protect brain cells and preserve cognitive function say researchers from Tel Aviv University (TAU). Another example is one recent studywhich found that teens who used cannabis as well as alcohol suffered significantly less damage to the white matter in their brains. Of course, what is beyond question is that alcohol damages brain cells. Scripps scientists discovered that eleven months of alcohol consumption that produced a blood alcohol level sufficient to be considered intoxicated decreased neurogenesis by more than fifty percent! Furthermore, the decrease in neurogenesis lasted for many weeks of abstinence. In contrast to the effects of alcohol, a series of publications during the past few years suggest that stimulating the brain's cannabis neurotransmitter system appears to have the exact opposite effects upon neurogenesis in the hippocampus of both young and old laboratory animals and humans, i.e. neurogenesis is increased by stimulation of our brain's cannabis receptors. When we are elderly, our brain displays a dramatic decline in neurogenesis within the hippocampus. This decline may underlie age-associated memory impairments as well as depression. Research has demonstrated that stimulating the brain's cannabis receptors restores neurogenesis. Thus, later in life, cannabis might actually help your brain, rather than harm it.

5. Alcohol use is linked to cancer. Cannabis use is not.

6. Alcohol is more addictive than cannabis.

7. Alcohol use increases the risk of injury to the consumer. Cannabis use does not.

8. Alcohol use contributes to aggressive and violent behavior. Cannabis use does not.

9. Alcohol use is a major factor in violent crimes. Cannabis use is not.

10 Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic abuse and sexual assault. Cannabis use does not.

I should start a campaign on some non related web site advocating we ban alcohol! Then after I am finished, I could start a campaign against spoons, because of all the harm it causes in making people fat.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Timo » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 18:34:36

Harvard study: casual marijuana use causes brain damage

Huh! That explains a lot! And here i thought my brain was damaged by a 20 ft fall, headfirst onto my driveway. I'll have to tell my wife that my TBI had nothing to do with the way i am today. Thanks! I feel much better now! :-D
Timo

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 12 Feb 2016, 22:23:27

New Study shows marijuana brain damages the brain, no matter what the age of the person who smokes it

Cannabis-DOES-alter-brain-younger-start-greater-risk-damage

Pot smokers who start before they turn 16 permanently damage their pre-frontal cortex, impairing their intelligence and judgement for life.

Older pot smokers see their brains age prematurely.

People who start smoking pot before 16 and then keep on smoking pot have small prefrontal cortexes AND what diminished brain power they have also will be diminished further by premature aging. Wow---now that really a bummer. 8O

Bummer, man.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Fri 12 Feb 2016, 23:58:48

Plantagenet wrote:New Study shows marijuana brain damages the brain, no matter what the age of the person who smokes it

Pot smokers who start before they turn 16 permanently damage their pre-frontal cortex, impairing their intelligence and judgement for life.

Older pot smokers see their brains age prematurely.

People who start smoking pot before 16 and then keep on smoking pot have small prefrontal cortexes AND what diminished brain power they have also will be diminished further by premature aging. Wow---now that really a bummer. 8O

Bummer, man.

Wow, a study of forty two people who self reported, conducted in Texas, seems sound to me. :roll:
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 13 Feb 2016, 00:55:06

careinke wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:New Study shows marijuana brain damages the brain, no matter what the age of the person who smokes it

Wow, a study of forty two people who self reported, conducted in Texas, seems sound to me. :roll:

Out of 42 heavy pot smokers studied using modern MRI imaging technology, 42 showed signs of brain damage.

That means 100% of the heavy pot smokers studied had brain damage. :idea:

A word of advice: avoid playing football or smoking pot
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Medical Issues Forum