Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Casual Marijuana Use Causes Brain Damage

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Harvard study: casual marijuana use causes brain damage

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 13:00:52

The orbitofrontal cortex is the smallest part of the frontal lobe in the brain. Located within the cranial cavity directly behind the eyes, this region of the prefrontal cortex is involved in a large part of the decision-making process. Part of this brain structure plays a role in the creation of pleasurable or unpleasant sensations evoked by many flavors and smells. During tests that measure brain activity, it is seen to be highly active throughout tasks that involve learning new information.

Another part of the orbitofrontal cortex plays a role in the formation of food preferences. The taste of food can cause a pleasurable response or an unpleasant sensation that originates in the cortex. Even sensory information related to the texture of a food is relayed through it. A decision of whether or not to consume the same food again is an example of the integration of sensory information into the thinking process by this brain structure.

link

Munchies, anyone?

Functionally distinct pathways for auditory processing in the orbitofrontal cortex include a rostral stream associated with phonetic processing, and a more caudal stream terminating just posterior to the orbitofrontal cortex in the periarcuate prefrontal cortex associated with auditory-spatial processing, though these connections share extensive overlap. Both ventral and dorsal visual streams share connections with orbitofrontal cortical areas, including rich projections to and from the superior temporal pole, important for integration of spatial and object processing.[8]

Music anyone?

The orbitofrontal cortex (OFC) is a region of association cortex of the human brain involved in cognitive processes such as decision-making. The name of this region is based upon the region's location within the frontal lobes, resting above the orbits of the eyes. It is defined as the part of the prefrontal cortex that receives projections from the magnocellular, medial, nucleus of the mediodorsal thalamus [1]. Considerable individual variability has been found in the OFC of both humans and non-human primates. Because of its functions in emotion and reward, the OFC is considered by some to be a part of the limbic system.

It is important to realise that using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to image the human OFC is a challenge, as this brain region is in close proximity to the air-filled sinuses, which means that signal dropout, geometric distortion, and susceptibility artifacts are common when using EPI at higher magnetic field strengths.

The published neuroimaging studies have found that the reward value, the expected reward value, and even the subjective pleasantness of foods and other reinforcers are represented in the OFC. A large meta-analysis of the existing neuroimaging evidence demonstrated that activity in medial parts of the OFC is related to the monitoring, learning, and memory of the reward value of reinforcers, whereas activity in lateral OFC is related to the evaluation of punishers, which may lead to a change in ongoing behaviour [5]. Similarly, a posterior-anterior distinction was found with more complex or abstract reinforcers (such as monetary gain and loss) being represented more anteriorly in the orbitofrontal cortex than less-complex reinforcers such as taste. It has even been proposed that the human OFC has a role in mediating subjective hedonic experience [2].

link

Gyrus refers to only the ridge portion. Thus we are talking about the ridge portion of the orbitofrontal cortex, part of the prefrontal lobe, the smallest part of the frontal lobe.

Because of difficulties involving imaging the OFC using fMRI, and the considerable individual variability found in the OFC, The supposed volume difference of this EXTREMELY SMALL portion of the prefrontal cortex may prove to be an artifact of the procedural methodology.

Less that .1 mm thickness difference could be called significant since there is approximately .4 mm range between the highest and lowest thickness.

And remember there is considerable variability between individuals.

So no shrunken brains. This is a case of the press not understanding, intentional eye baiting headlines, and equally uneducated anti-pot Carrie Nations running away with it.

So put your Axe away, Plant, you don't have a clue about what you are talking about.
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 13:16:39, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 13:56:41

Cid_Yama wrote:The orbitofrontal cortex is the smallest part of the frontal lobe in the brain. Located within the cranial cavity directly behind the eyes, this region of the prefrontal cortex is involved in a large part of the decision-making process.

This is the area of the brain that marijuana causes to shrink according to the new MRI studies.

Cid_Yama wrote:Munchies, anyone?

The craving for food is a pretty basic animal response. The problem with marijuana isn't that it makes people hungry or enhances enjoyment of music or makes people think the wallpaper is vibrating---the problem the medical scientists are discussing in their new papers in PNAS and other scientific journals is that marijuana causes brain damage and results in lower IQs and a higher incidence of schizophrenia and other mental disorders.

Cid_Yama wrote:Gyrus refers to only the ridge portion. Thus we are talking about the ridge portion of the orbitofrontal cortex, part of the prefrontal lobe, the smallest part of the frontal lobe.

So you are OK with it if marijuana damages this part of your brain?

Thats great! Knock yourself out, dude! Have fun and drive safely.

Cheers!

Knock yourself out, dude!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby basil_hayden » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 14:25:06

Completely.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 15:02:51

Again, morphological differences do not equate to damage.

Because of difficulties involving imaging the OFC using fMRI, and the considerable individual variability found in the OFC, The supposed volume difference of this EXTREMELY SMALL portion of the prefrontal cortex may prove to be an artifact of the procedural methodology.

Less that .1 mm thickness difference could be called significant(actually .025 mm) since there is approximately .4 mm range between the highest and lowest thickness.

And remember there is considerable variability between individuals.

Munchies is not craving for food. It is an ecstatic hedonistic joyful orgiastic indulgence into the taste, smells and texture of the ultimate orgasmic eating experience.

You can't know it unless you've experienced it.

Same with sex on pot. If you've never made love while high on pot, you're still a virgin.

And music, where it expands time and each tonal resonance fills and completes each moment. If you are a musician it is that most perfect space where all that exists is the act of producing each note in utter perfection with pure soulful expression. And if playing with others the perfect integration and sharing of the experience. Where you just look at each other afterwards and go, "Wow, did we just do that?"

You're a moron Plant, and even a worse one for crusading against something you have never experienced.

Go ahead and feel smug in your small little limited world thinking you know something you know nothing about.

I actually pity you for having such a limited experience with life, all safe in the snug little confines of your small little rules. You'll end up dying never having truly lived.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 15:17:46

Well now, that's not very accepting of the viewpoints of others, now is it? Who cares what planted agent thinks?
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 15:29:54

I do, because I've seen too many lives wasted because they're too scared to live.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 15:49:21

I've seen too many lives wasted because there's no intervention for those who go overboard.

Otherwise, it's never been a deterrent or a bother when properly managed.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 16:32:05

That's it P, the subtext to these opinions is always about continuing perhaps humanities & the 20th century's stupidest folly/ the war on drugs. Any objective rational assessment will arrive at the conclusion that drugs are a medical & cultural issue, only made a criminal & huge money issue by the idiotic war on drugs.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 19:08:28

Here's how the university describes the results of the latest marijuana study published in the PNAS.

"The study offers a preliminary indication that gray matter in the OFC may be ...vulnerable ..... to the effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive ingredient in the cannabis plant. According to the authors, the study provides evidence that chronic marijuana use initiates ..... smaller gray matter volume"

Hercule Poirot, the famous Detective in Agatha Christie's works, would often proudly state that "his little grey cells" would solve the crime. If Hercule Poirot was a pot user, his brain would be shrinking due to loss of the those little grey cells.

And what is in the "little grey cells" that marijuana is destroying? Those are your neurons, dudes! You are killing off the neurons in your brain! :roll:

I have it, mon ami! The marijuana is killing the little grey cells inside the brain! The evidence reveals it all. The gyrus goes down....the IQ goes down....good heavens, it is a MONSTROUS thing that is happening is it not, mon ami!!!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 13 Nov 2014, 18:22:50

I thought I would share this to lighten up the thread a bit and to also point out that canabis can be very therapeutic physically and in integrating art, the body, sensuality, rhythm etc.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=730803910325185&fref=nf
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 13 Nov 2014, 21:58:10

Examples of music that might give you an idea of music on weed without smoking it. Of course, it will be much better if you have.

Maneki Neko - Auracle

Kraftwerk - Autobahn

King Crimson - Matte Kudasai

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 01:27:56

I had my IQ tested a few times in my teens, always scored in the mid 140's. Perhaps I need to lose some brain cells, to be more normal.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby basil_hayden » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 12:44:01

SeaGypsy wrote:I had my IQ tested a few times in my teens, always scored in the mid 140's. Perhaps I need to lose some brain cells, to be more normal.

Same boat; in fact mine went up 8 points after long term exposure. So much for Planted Science.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 13:15:11

basil_hayden wrote: So much for Planted Science.

You are just deluding yourself if you believe this is "my" science.

Why not face facts? Thanks to amazing new scientific and medical technology it is possible to image the human body in new ways. This technology is constantly improving, and the research grade instrumentation used at Harvard, Texas, Northwestern and other research institutions in the US and in other countries who have conducted recent studies on the effects of marijuana is also significantly better then the garden variety MRIs you might see in your local hospital.

The new scientific data shows that marijuana use cause brain shrinkage. THC destroys the grey calls (i.e. the neurons) that comprise the brain. In addition to the physical brain damage, other studies find increases in the rates of psychosis, schizophrenia etc. among pot users.

Not every pot user is going to have mental problems, just like not every cigarette smoker gets cancer. But the science is now irrefutable on this topic.

Do you feel lucky?
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 13:31:21

basil_hayden wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:I had my IQ tested a few times in my teens, always scored in the mid 140's. Perhaps I need to lose some brain cells, to be more normal.

Same boat; in fact mine went up 8 points after long term exposure. So much for Planted Science.

Me too, I figure I could lose 20% of my IQ and still be a standard deviation or two above the mean. So plant, please don't waste any of your precious brain cells worrying about me, I'm fine. 8)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 17:01:35

Here's your new avatar plant, now that the good people of AK have spoken

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Medical Issues Forum