Register

Peak Oil is You


Donate Bitcoins ;-) or Paypal :-)


Page added on May 14, 2019

Bookmark and Share

Saudi Arabia oil stations attacked by drones

Public Policy

Dubai:  Saudi Energy Minister Khalid Al Falih said on Tuesday that two oil pumping stations for the East-West pipeline had been hit by explosive-laden drones, calling the attack “an act of terrorism” that targeted global oil supplies.

Falih condemned the attacks in a statment saying: “The latest acts of terrorism and sabotage in the Arabian Gulf… not only target the Kingdom but also the security of oil supplies to the world and the global economy.”

“These attacks prove again that it is important for us to face terrorist entities, including the Houthi militias in Yemen that are backed by Iran,” he said.

Falih said Saudi oil output and exports for crude and refined products were continuing without disruption, but that the state oil giant Aramco had halted oil pumping in the pipeline while the damage was evaluated and the stations were repaired, according to a statement carried by the state news agency SPA.

The 1,200-kilometre pipeline carries crude from Saudi Arabia’s main eastern oil fields to the Red Sea port city of Yanbu in the west.

Oil prices go up

Oil prices rose sharply on Tuesday after the drone attack. Brent crude futures were at $71.15 a barrel at 1155 GMT, up 92 cents or 1.31 per cent, according to Reuters.

U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures were at $61.68 per barrel, up 64 cents or 1.05 per cent.

The pumping stations targeted lie west of the capital Riyadh, at Dawadmi and Afeef.

20190514_Afif_saudi
The stations are linked to a pipeline which transport oil from fields in the eastern sector to the port of Yanbu on the western coast

The stations located in the Saudi city of Afif and Dawadmi are linked to a pipeline transporting oil from fields in the eastern sector to the port of Yanbu on the western coast, state-run Saudi Press Agency reported, citing the Energy Ministry.

The vital pipeline has a capacity of at least five million barrels per day.

Saudi Aramco in a statment after the attack said that “oil and gas supplies to our clients have not been affected by terrorist attacks.”

Adding: “We stopped pumping oil in the two damaged pipeline as precautionary measure.”

Earlier, a television station run by Yemen’s Houthi group said on Tuesday the Iran-aligned movement had launched drone attacks on Saudi installations, without identifying the targets or time of the attacks.

The reported pipeline attacks came amid spiralling tensions in the Gulf, following a series of mysterious attacks on ships off the coast of the UAE and a major US military deployment to the region.

UAE condemns drone attack on Saudi oil stations

The UAE has strongly condemned the drone attacks on two oil stations on Saudi Aramco’s East-West pipeline. The pipeline transports Saudi oil from the Eastern Province to the port of Yanbu.

In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, MOFAIC, denounced the “cowardly act of terrorism and sabotage” aimed at undermining the safety of the world’s global energy supplies and economy. It reaffirmed the UAE’s outright support for the Kingdom and for all measures taken to protect the security of its facilities and natural resources.

The Ministry said the targeting of the two pumping stations proves once again the importance of addressing terrorist organisations that carry out such subversive acts, including the Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen. It called on the international community to play its role in restoring legitimacy in Yemen, and to take the necessary steps to deal with terrorist acts that destabilise the region.

Egypt , Jordan and Bahrain slam Houthi attack

Egypt has condemned drone attacks claimed by Yemen’s Houthi rebels against an oil pipeline and other energy infrastructure in Saudi Arabia.

A statement by the Foreign Ministry says Egypt stands alongside Saudi Arabia “to counter all attempts meant to stabilize the kingdom” in the wake of Tuesday’s attacks.

The statement says Egypt is coordinating with Saudi Arabia to face “terror and all threats to its national security.”

Bahrain and Jordan also condemned the attack.

GulfNews



13 Comments on "Saudi Arabia oil stations attacked by drones"

  1. Anonymouse on Tue, 14th May 2019 9:56 am 

    Another Jewmerica false flag. Where are impoverished and hard pressed Yemenis going to get the drones, the skills and training necessary to carry out such an op? Look at that map, nowhere near Yemen, and yet, we are supposed to believe these rag-tag mountain rebels were able to carry out a percussion attack like this, with tools they simply do not possess.

    The game plan behind this false flag, seems to be to mostly focus the blame on the Yemeni resistance, at least for now,, a kind of a trail balloon, to pave the way for shifting blame more directly on Iran down the road.

    IF this ‘attack’, even occurred at all. Notice no one reported injured, and there appears no evidence oil extraction was effected in any way. Nor do I find it at all surprising Bahrain (US 5th fleet HQ), and Jordan (proud host of USlamic state training and command and control centers staffed and managed by uS farces), yelping on que for their masters.

    No pictures, no video, no injuries, and even less proof any Yemenis ever had anything to do with this alleged attack in the first place.

  2. Anonymouse on Tue, 14th May 2019 10:06 am 

    *precision* sigh

  3. Cloggie on Tue, 14th May 2019 10:08 am 

    Probably false-flag, carried out by mobsters “dynamic duo”, as predicted by him. No proof necessary.

    Terrarizm.
    Full stop.

  4. Cloggie on Tue, 14th May 2019 10:22 am 

    Trump plans to deploy 120,000 US targets to the Gulf in case US troops would be attacked by Iran:

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7026535/White-House-plans-deploy-120-000-troops-Middle-East-Iran-attacks-American-forces.html

    Sounds like a regime change attempt.

  5. Duncan Idaho on Tue, 14th May 2019 10:37 am 

    “Be realistic. Demand the Impossible!”
    Sounds like a regime change attempt.

  6. Robert Inget on Tue, 14th May 2019 11:11 am 

    https://thinkprogress.org/judiciary-chairman-lindsey-graham-urges-don-trump-jr-to-ignore-a-legal-subpoena-978515783885/

    In the ‘good ole days’ of the Bush Administration we called 120,000 troop deployment a “peace keeping force”. Today, we call em like it is, an invasion. 120 thousand ‘men’ needs to be raised to 500,000 if the is any hope of stabilizing
    what we are busy destabilizing.

    We need to draft yet another 500 thousand in reserves.

    Now! We’re ready to take on Venezuela, but not Cuba.

    Oh, you mean to tell me you believe with 250,000
    we can take on Iran and possibly Iraq and Russia?
    Can I get some of that you are snorting?

    I’ll be happy to support my government in this insanity if we ever manage to get out of Afghanistan and Iraq and Syria and Sudan, S. Korea, Japan, and at least 50 other countries.

    Or, just stop exporting ‘oil’. That might go a long way toward stopping imports.

  7. Duncan Idaho on Tue, 14th May 2019 11:17 am 

    Just Iran letting SA know that moving oil is going to be very difficult.
    Very impressive capability for the Houthis to hit something as small as a booster station from such a great distance!
    The ship incident earlier was just to let them know about it in the channel.

  8. Davy on Tue, 14th May 2019 12:03 pm 

    Well, before you guys wet your britches you might want to consider this is just talk. The whole dynamics is different in the region to accomplish that kind of military buildup compared to Iraq 2. The Pentagon and the American economy can’t afford this kind of buildup and they know it. The personnel are not there like they were in Iraq 2. The public is not at all interested in an Iranian war. The economy is heading for a recession which is further discouragement. Those who say that this is when people do wars are full of shit. Times are different these days with all the debt. It is likely this “plan” is just a tactic to put maximum pressure on Iran. The only option is an air and cyber war and possibly special ops.

    “Leaked Pentagon Plan Calls For 120,000 Troops To Counter Iran”
    https://tinyurl.com/y4bgypqm zero hedge

    “Though the revised plan – it had been modified to incorporate suggestions from John Bolton – doesn’t include plans for a land invasion”

    “It’s unclear whether Trump himself has seen, or been briefed on, the plan. Asked about it, Trump said “we’ll see what happens with Iran. If they do anything, it would be a very bad mistake.”

    “This is not the first time since joining the administration that Bolton has sought updated plans for an invasion of Iran. Though it’s widely believed that the president remains opposed to such an incursion.”

    “While a war with Iran still seems unlikely, if Iran starts stockpiling enriched uranium again as it has threatened to do, it could give Bolton and his fellow neocons exactly the opening they need to successfully push for a military intervention.”

  9. Robert Inget on Tue, 14th May 2019 1:44 pm 

    Dave, this is EXACTLY the way US Elective Wars begin. This time we won’t even bother to consult Congress. Here’s why. Almost everyone who knows better will acknowledge having a gun in the house make a family less safe, not more.

    If you are a young black man your chances of survival,
    are much lower. Why? Because a black man with a gun represents a greater threat to law enforcement. Even if that ‘gun’ is really a phone.

    Now, feature 120,000 young troops, all armed with
    guns AND phones.
    Dozens of super-sonic bombers on station.
    Seven thousand+ airmen and sailors only seconds
    flight time away from your homes (but 7,000 miles from theirs)

    A nuclear aircraft carrier armada all armed with nuclear weapons. (ironically weapons you don’t yet have because you agreed not to in exchange
    for not bombing us)

    Of course US won’t invade. The trick is to lure Iran into battle.

    Israel, Saudi Arabia, UAE, intend for you to surrender, overthrow your Government, change religious practice, submit Saudi Arabia to do to Iran something Iraq’s Saddam tried to do for four years. And failed.

    I too have a hunch the latest casus belli was too little to soon. Be Sure, Mossad have something juicier on tap.

    Israel attacked one of our small intel vessels, USS Liberty, in an attempt to blame Egypt. I believe this gave credence to the ‘false flag theory.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=did+israel+attack+a+us+navy+ship&id=9FBD818BF4D6537DF7BF4EA37EB824B3E2CE4CCA&FORM=IQFRBA

    19th Century tariffs, gunboat diplomacy won’t wash today.
    The vey first (near or actual) US (unmanned) overflight will be shot down. NOW we must
    “Give em Hell”.

    ‘One across the bow’ might work for smugglers and fishermen but not modern armed forces.
    Modern supersonic anti ship missiles make carriers (a last century weapon) good only for scaring the crap out of the unarmed. Remember,
    Trump is willing to sacrifice US Service personal,
    a million Iranians if needed, as a distraction.

    The worse Trump’s legal problems become the closer we get to bombing Iran. In a sense Trump is power-playing the world. That’s my opinion.

  10. Aubrey McClendon on Tue, 14th May 2019 7:01 pm 

    Iran needs a good dose of FREEDOM…

    The kind we so generously gave to Iraq, Libya, & Syria…


    I can’t believe that the vast majority of the World’s English-speaking population just blindly believe this BS… I just can’t believe it…

  11. Theedrich on Wed, 15th May 2019 2:39 am 

    The U.S. wants to spread Wahhabism. For more oil.  It strains credulity to believe that explosive-laden drones flew hundreds of miles from an alleged Yemeni enemy to damage oil pumping stations in the Arabian desert.  But we live in an age of ensnarement and false flags to justify war.  Given all the dog-wagging today, and with warmongering neocons with itchy trigger fingers in the executive and legislative branches, and in the Pentagon, it is impossible to know what is really happening.  Maybe if suddenly an aircraft carrier disappears beneath the waves, we will know a little more.  But given America’s history of ensnarement of Japan into suicidally committing the Pearl Harbor attack, in addition to the carefully planned sinking of the Lusitania (plus, of course, the Gulf of Tonkin incident), as excuses to enter wars, the American public has little chance of preventing another catastrophe.  And anyway, it would be presented as just another show for the masses.

    Bread and circuses.

  12. shortonoil on Thu, 16th May 2019 4:06 pm 

    The “ship in the Straights incident”; OH, that one! The old rust bucket that someone should have been able to sink with a can opener, and a ball pein hammer. Loisianna Jone’s bass boat would have been more convincing. That’s called a low budget false flag; the Saudi’s are cheap bastards

  13. Davy on Thu, 16th May 2019 5:19 pm 

    “The “ship in the Straights incident”; OH, that one! The old rust bucket that someone should have been able to sink with a can opener”

    In this day and age when everyone expects a false flag anyway don’t botch it to begin with by going low budget and stupid.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *