Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Zika virus

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Zika virus

Unread postby vox_mundi » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 13:11:06

Health minister: Brazil is 'losing battle' against mosquito

Brazil's health minister says the country will mobilize some 220,000 troops to battle the mosquito blamed for spreading a virus linked to birth defects, but he also was quoted Tuesday as saying the battle already is being lost.

"The mosquito has been here in Brazil for three decades, and we are badly losing the battle against the mosquito," Folha de S. Paulo newspaper quoted Castro as saying as a crisis group on Zika was meeting in the capital, Brasilia.

Worry about the rapid spread of Zika has expanded across the nation, and the hemisphere beyond.

Repellent has disappeared from many Brazilian pharmacies and prices for the product have tripled or even quadrupled where it's still available in recent weeks since the government announced a suspected link between Zika virus and microcephaly, a rare birth defect that sees babies born with unusually small heads and can cause lasting developmental problems. Nearly 4,000 suspected cases of microcephaly have been reported since October, compared with fewer than 150 cases in the country in all of 2014.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has advised pregnant women to reconsider travel to Brazil and 21 other countries and territories with Zika outbreaks over fears about microcephaly.

Both Brazil's Zika outbreak and the spike in microcephaly have been concentrated in the poor and underdeveloped northeast of the country, though the prosperous southeast, where Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro are located, are the second hardest-hit region. Rio de Janeiro will host the Aug. 5-21 Olympic games.

Rio sends Zika fumigators into carnival stadium

Rio de Janeiro sent fumigators Tuesday into the city's carnival stadium, which will also be used for Olympic archery in August, to combat an outbreak of the mosquito-borne Zika virus.

The sight of men in protective overalls and goggles spraying the famous Sambodrome facility was a grim confirmation of just how worried Brazil is becoming that the virus scare will tarnish both the carnival and upcoming Summer Olympics.

The Sambodrome will host Rio's elaborate annual parades on February 7 and 8, and also the archery contest during the Games.

"The concern is very great in all of Rio because it's a city for mega events. During the carnival there'll be crowds of people from different parts of the world and Brazil, which will help the virus get in (... and out)," said Marcos Vinicius Ferreira, spokesman for Rio's health department.

Argentina authorities say they are investigating a possible case of infection by the mosquito-borne Zika virus. It would be a first for the nation that shares a border with Brazil.

Santa Fe Health Department official Andrea Uboldi tells La Red radio that the man is in the city of Rosario and had recently visited Brazil

UN: Zika virus link to small-head condition 'circumstantial'

The World Health Organization says it suspects a link between the mosquito-borne Zika virus and a rare birth defect that gives babies abnormally small heads but says so far the evidence is circumstantial.

... and they were so "Johnny-On-the-Spot" for the Ebola pandemic also.

U.S. health officials are putting out advice to doctors on testing newborns for Zika virus, a tropical infection linked to a wave of birth defects in Brazil.

The guidance is for doctors caring for infants born to mothers who traveled to Zika outbreak areas in Latin America or the Caribbean during their pregnancy. link

The U.S. territory of Puerto Rico is reporting a jump in the number of mosquito-borne Zika virus cases.

Health Secretary Ana Rius says there are 18 confirmed cases, though none involve pregnant women. Brazilian officials have linked the tropical illness to birth defects.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 13:44:39

The Zika Virus Could Force Women To Have Unsafe Abortions
Link
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vox_mundi » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 13:59:17

MonteQuest wrote:The Zika Virus Could Force Women To Have Unsafe Abortions
Link

Thanks MQ.

Seems the men in many of these countries decide what's best for their women (without asking the women)

It's illegal in Brazil, also. In 2012, the Brazilian Supreme Court allowed the practice of abortion on fetuses with anencephaly (but not microcephaly).
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 17:10:28

U.S. boosts study of Zika, birth defect link, as virus seen spreading

CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. health officials are stepping up efforts to study the link between Zika virus infections and birth defects in infants amid predictions for widespread circulation of the mosquito-borne virus within the United States during warmer months.

The U.S. Director of the National Institutes of Health on Tuesday called for intensified efforts to study the impact of Zika infections, citing a recent study estimating the virus could reach regions where 60 percent of the U.S. population lives.

vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 17:51:35

pstarr wrote:Isn't this just another 3rd-world tragedy? Soon to be swept into the dustbin along with ebola, bird flu, and the plague..

We will see. It's on it's way to the USA in a big way.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Timo » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 17:57:44

Nature has many ugly ways of balancing all of its interconnected systems. The OP might not be a mass die-off, but instead might be the sudden and extreme lowering of the birthrate. If having sex inherently produces unhealthy offspring, well, i'm sure you can all do the math. Lower birthrate = lower population increases, which ultimately leads to rapid population decreases. Again, any form the OP chooses to take, it's always quite ugly.

On the other hand, i'd more than welcome the OP to eradicate every last damned mosquito on this planet! I hate those SOBs!

But on the third hand (yes, i have three), eradicating the mosquito does remove an effective, and again, an ugly form of population control from the planet.

Which leaves us with the question: Would we really be better off causing the extinction of the mosquito from the planet? That is a really tough call.
Timo

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 18:34:21

pstarr wrote:I remember when dengue and West Nile virus (also mosquito-carried diseases) were a big worry. Why is this worse? ?

We don't know if its worse yet.

But we already know its very bad.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 18:50:48

pstarr wrote:How does it transmission capacity and severity not depend on filth, unprotected sex, malnutrition, and lack of decent medical care?

Mosquito bites.
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Timo » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 18:53:51

pstarr wrote:I remember when dengue and West Nile virus (also mosquito-carried diseases) were a big worry. Why is this worse? Am I particularly susceptible, being a well-fed cared for American? Or should I just forget about. Like all the rest?

Very good question. First, i'll assume you are a male. If not, good for you. I only mention that assumption because i too, am male, and so far, all of the warnings and dangers of Zika have been directed toward females, leaving me quite confused as to the dangers this virus poses to me. I have no doubt that i can be infected, but as far as symptoms to the average American Joe go, i have no idea. I certainly don't plan on getting pregnant, and ditto for my wife. I'm not suggesting that we are in any way free to live a worry-free life with respect to Zika, but the manifestations definitely appear to be different for men and women. Of course, this statement is based on pure ignorance of what Zika can actually do, other than what i read online. I could be way off base with what i just said.
Timo

Unread postby Timo » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 18:56:06

MonteQuest wrote:
pstarr wrote:How does it transmission capacity and severity not depend on filth, unprotected sex, malnutrition, and lack of decent medical care?

Mosquito bites.

Presently known method of transmission. Other methods, such as bodily fluids, have not been studied or ruled out.

Yet.
Timo

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 20:05:32

pstarr wrote:Sounds like abortion is the solution

But since abortion is illegal in many of the countries, it means lots of illegal ones, and lots of women being put in prison. I posted a link earlier on this. Do you see it?
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 21:29:31

Abortion takes place when there is no solution.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby C8 » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 23:56:48

Are they making plans to suppress this for the Olympics?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 27 Jan 2016, 00:23:10

President Barack Obama is calling for speeding up research to diagnose, prevent and treat Zika virus.

Obama met with public health and national security officials about the mosquito-borne virus on Tuesday in the Situation Room. The White House says Obama was briefed on steps being taken to protect Americans and factors that could cause the virus to spread in the U.S. Officials also updated the president on how the virus' spread in the hemisphere could affect the economy and development.

Leaders from the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Health and Human Services Department took part in the meeting.

The White House says Obama told the officials that all Americans should have information about the virus and how to protect themselves from infection.

Latin America's largest airline says it's waiving cancellation or flight-change fees for pregnant women who want to cancel flights to countries where the Zika virus is present.

Grupo LATAM says the policy applies to Brazil, Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, French Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Suriname and Venezuela.

The U.S. government is beginning research into a possible vaccine for the mosquito-borne Zika virus that is suspected of causing an unusual birth defect as it spreads in Latin America.

Don't expect protection anytime soon — vaccine development typically takes years.

Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health says in an interview Tuesday: "This is not going to be overnight."

A health expert is expressing concern about the lack of information on the Zika virus provided by authorities in Venezuela and is urging the government of President Nicolas Maduro to starting a national prevention campaign.

Dr. Jose Felix Oletta, a former health minister and member of the non-governmental Organization to Defend National Epidemiology, said the Zika virus is "now a public menace" even though there are no official statistics on it.

Since January 2015, Venezuela's Ministry of Health has not published the once-weekly official report on endemic and epidemic diseases in the country, sparking concern among doctors.

Costa Rica has confirmed the first known case of the Zika virus in the Central American nation.

The Health Ministry says the mosquito-borne virus was apparently contracted by a 25-year-old man during a trip to Colombia this month.

Health authorities in Panama are recommending that members of an indigenous community hard-hit by Zika avoid getting pregnant.

At least 42 cases of the mosquito-borne virus have been detected in the sparsely populated province of Guna Yala along the Caribbean coast, one of them a 22-year-old pregnant woman. The area formerly known as San Blas is dominated by indigenous groups and popular with tourists.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/01 ... .html?_r=0

First Zika virus case confirmed in L.A. County

The mosquitoes that transmit the virus are not native to California, but have been found here in the last few years. In total, they've been detected in 12 of the state's 58 counties, officials say.

The Asian tiger and the yellow fever mosquitoes -- Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti, respectively -- are about half the size of normal mosquitoes and have black-and-white stripes. Unlike mosquitoes more common to California, which usually come out in the evening, these mosquitoes bite during the daytime.

An infestation in L.A. County is believed to have started in 2011 in the San Gabriel Valley, and last year spread west into Silver Lake and east to Riverside and Montclair. They've now been detected in Montebello and Pico Rivera as well as Anaheim and Mission Viejo.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 27 Jan 2016, 00:44:51

C8 wrote:Are they making plans to suppress this for the Olympics?

Australian Olympic Committee warns of Zika virus dangers

The Australian Olympic Committee has warned pregnant team members to carefully consider whether they will attend this year's Olympic Games in Brazil after an outbreak of the Zika virus which can cause birth abnormalities.

In a statement on Wednesday, the AOC said "any team members who are pregnant at the time of the Games need to consider the risks very carefully before deciding whether to proceed with travel to Brazil."

Zika outbreak: pregnant women warned to avoid Florida and Queensland if virus spreads

Pregnant women have already been advised to avoid the Olympic

Prof Trudie Lang, Professor of Global Health Research and Head of the Global Health Network, University of Oxford said : “Here we are again, having just come out of Ebola. We weren't quite expecting it to be so soon. There are so many key research questions. We've got no drugs and we've got no vaccines and I do feel a sense of déjà Vu because we are exactly where we were with Ebola.”

vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Medical Issues Forum