Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Solar Thermal Energy Thread (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: SunOvens

Unread postby roccman » Tue 29 May 2007, 21:37:04

"My husband bought me a Sun Oven from Matt's website a couple of weeks ago (for our wedding anniversary), to supplement an earlier Sun Oven he had bought me about 14 years ago (still in regular use, I might add!). They are the same models, but the new one from LATOC costs less than he paid for the first one 14 years ago! So I think it's a very good deal!

I baked apple crisp yesterday and it was scrumptious! "

Why does this sound alot like an infomercial?

Ok Matt - how much you pay'n to have posters pimp your ovens?
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Tue 29 May 2007, 21:47:01

roccman wrote:Why does this sound alot like an infomercial?

Ok Matt - how much you pay'n to have posters pimp your ovens?

Hey, Matt just happens to be one of many SunOven dealers out there. I bought my first one at the Renewable Energy Roundup years ago, way before I even heard of a guy named Savinar. And WisJim has also mentioned the fact that he bought his first one many years ago. You can leave Matt out of this. SunOvens are solid alternative energy technology, and deserves to be mentioned on an energy forum such as this one.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby roccman » Tue 29 May 2007, 21:51:35

"You can leave Matt out of this. SunOvens are solid alternative energy technology, and deserves to be mentioned on an energy forum such as this one."

Ironically my post bumped the thread to get more exposure to sun ovens.

I have a SO - I agree with you about alt. energy technology.

Relax bro...it's all good.
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Wed 30 May 2007, 16:18:44

PeakOiler wrote:
eXpat wrote:
Madpaddy wrote:Hi Matt,

Do you ship the ovens to Europe (Ireland) and how much would it cost in total for an oven shipped.

Regards,

MP

+1, I live in Edinburgh (Scotland) and none in the UK that i have seen carries those ovens, i'm very interested in getting one.

If you go to sunoven.com you may want to contact the company and look into becoming a SunOven dealer. Do you know a lot of people that might buy one? Might be worth looking into...

Thanks PeakOiler, I'll check the site, here to be honest i see little interest in sunovens here, sheeple likes its grass from big supermarkets you see, but i'm planning to relocate by the end of the next year, and i would like to carry an oven with me :)
Thanks again!
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Europe's First Solar Thermal Power Plant

Unread postby Bas » Wed 13 Jun 2007, 07:07:40

In fact, as we found out when we got closer, the rays of sunlight reflected by a field of 600 huge mirrors are so intense they illuminate the water vapour and dust hanging in the air.

The effect is to give the whole place a glow - even an aura - and if you're concerned about climate change that may well be deserved.

It is Europe's first commercially operating power station using the Sun's energy this way and at the moment its operator, Solucar, proudly claims that it generates 11 Megawatts (MW) of electricity without emitting a single puff of greenhouse gas. This current figure is enough to power up to 6,000 homes.
But ultimately, the entire plant should generate as much power as is used by the 600,000 people of Seville.

It works by focusing the reflected rays on one location, turning water into steam and then blasting it into turbines to generate power.

BBC article(also has a nice video)
Last edited by Bas on Wed 13 Jun 2007, 07:16:19, edited 1 time in total.
Bas

Re: First Solar Thermal Power Plant

Unread postby Doly » Wed 13 Jun 2007, 07:10:34

This is hardly the first solar thermal power plant built, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Re: First Solar Thermal Power Plant

Unread postby Bas » Wed 13 Jun 2007, 07:29:50

Doly wrote:This is hardly the first solar thermal power plant built, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

What interests me is that this kind of solar power generation could become much cheaper than solar panels, possibly within only a few years as these plants are very cheap to build:

Partly financed with European Union funds, the entire project requires an investment of 1.2 billion euro. The investment required to build the concentrating solar power plant amounted to €35 million, with a contribution of €5 million from the EU's Fifth Framework Programme for research, awarded for the project's innovative approach.

Environment News Service article
Bas

Re: Europe's First Solar Thermal Power Plant

Unread postby Bas » Wed 13 Jun 2007, 07:39:07

Bas

Unread postby undertaker » Wed 13 Jun 2007, 09:26:15

I thoiught of exactly this form of renewable energy the first time I holocausted an ant with a magnifying glass, but my stupid science teacher said it wouldn't work.

And now they got the things. Amazing.
There's still freud in Schadenfreud!
undertaker
Permanently Banned

Unread postby coyote » Wed 13 Jun 2007, 14:06:48

Bas wrote:Image

Cool.

I hope we build a bunch more.

Real soon like.
Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Jonathan_Hoag » Thu 14 Jun 2007, 01:26:14

Concentrator solar thermal is definitely the way to go for power plant sized solar projects. The focus can achieve very high temperatures, meaning a very high Carnot efficiency, unlike the very stupid idea of a updraft solar tower.

Photovoltaics is still very practical for small scale applications such as rooftops and such.
Jonathan_Hoag
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 14 Jun 2007, 07:03:18

PV panal convert 20% or less of light into electricity, why not build a reflector array like that one with PV cells as the pnanl material? Get twice the use from the same light, as it were.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Bas » Thu 14 Jun 2007, 14:52:30

Tanada wrote:PV panal convert 20% or less of light into electricity, why not build a reflector array like that one with PV cells as the pnanl material? Get twice the use from the same light, as it were.

I don't think you can reflect the light and use it in solar panels at the same time; as it is, mirrors in this set up are far more effiecient than stand alone solar panels. Drawback is that you need to do this on a relatively big scale (like it's being done here) to get those kind of efficience rates. Also mirrors are far less expensive to produce and replace than solar panels.
Bas

Unread postby JRP3 » Thu 14 Jun 2007, 17:38:41

Actually people are using reflectors with solar panels to concentrate light and boost the output of solar panels. One problem that needs to be dealt with is elevated heat levels degrading the panels, but it's possible. I'm too lazy to search for examples but they are out there, probably some on this board.
JRP3
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 14 Jun 2007, 21:52:12

Parabolic trough power plants are the most successful and cost-effective CSP system design at present. They use a curved trough which reflects the direct solar insolation onto a hollow tube running along above the trough. The whole trough tilts through the course of the day so that direct insolation remains focused on the hollow tube for as long as the sun shines. A fluid, normally thermal oil, passes through the tube and becomes hot. Full-scale parabolic trough systems consist of many such troughs laid out in parallel over a large area of land. A solar thermal system using this principle is in operation in California in the United States, called the SEGS system.[1] At 350 MW, it is currently not only the largest operational solar thermal energy system, but the largest solar power system of any kind. SEGS uses oil to take the heat away: the oil then passes through a heat exchanger, creating steam which runs a steam turbine.

Ah, our good buddy oil.

What does it do to a flock of birds? Can we set up KFCs in the vincinity? Local economy, you know.

Yeah, I know, birds will likely fly at higher altitudes.

Stirling engines fueled by solar sounds promising. Even Dubya did an inspection of SPS's facilities.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 15 Jun 2007, 06:59:34

Bas wrote:
Tanada wrote:PV panal convert 20% or less of light into electricity, why not build a reflector array like that one with PV cells as the pnanl material? Get twice the use from the same light, as it were.

I don't think you can reflect the light and use it in solar panels at the same time; as it is, mirrors in this set up are far more effiecient than stand alone solar panels. Drawback is that you need to do this on a relatively big scale (like it's being done here) to get those kind of efficience rates. Also mirrors are far less expensive to produce and replace than solar panels.

I guess I didn't make myself very clear so I will try again. A conventional PV panal rejects 80% of the sunlight which impacts upon it. My suggestion is to replace the mirror array that reflects 99% of the energy impacting on it with PV covered reflectors that absorb 20% and reflect about 50% (the other 30% are lost as heat). You need twice as many PV reflectors to get the central aim point to the same temperature, but the PV portion of the system converts the 20% it captures directly into usable Direct current. Given Carnot inefficiencies the thermal tower will only actually capture about 32% of the energy heating it up as Alternating current. Using PV reflectors you get 52% of the energy out of the sunlight instead of 32%.....
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JRP3 » Fri 15 Jun 2007, 14:27:51

I don't think a solar panel "rejects" 80% of the light, it reflects a small portion, absorbs the rest and converts some of that to electricity and wastes some of it as heat. In your plan the solar panel that's reflecting 50% of the light therefore would only have 50% of the light available to then try and convert into electricity. So instead of converting 20% of all the light available the panel ends up converting 20% of 50%.
JRP3
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Company on verge of solar breakthrough

Unread postby Graeme » Sun 29 Jul 2007, 01:51:08

Company on verge of solar breakthrough

A Wausau start-up company is refining its prototype for a system that could more efficiently store and use solar energy to generate electricity or operate as an air conditioner.

The system is able to harness water heated by the sun at lower temperatures than other products on the market, said Baker, a mechanical engineer who owned a custom machining business in Rothschild for 13 years. In addition, it offers dispatchable energy, which means the system can be used when it's most needed, not just when the sun is shining.

The company hopes to build its demonstration system in Arizona, where utility companies offer incentives that, combined with federal and state tax credits, could cover 90 percent of its costs, Manske said.

wausaudailyherald
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Company on verge of solar breakthrough

Unread postby Cobra_Strike » Sun 29 Jul 2007, 03:10:39

Heat engines are hardly novel, and are already in use. A breakthrough would be if they had a commercial producer selling boat loads of these things (from China, where else?).
We stand here, as the light of other days surrounds us.
"Hail the Dead"
Cobra_Strike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology