Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Rant Of The Year!

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: The Rant Of The Year!

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 22 Feb 2009, 15:48:46

Ludi wrote:
Livewire713 wrote:My point Pretorian. If 75 billion cost each of us a grand, how much will the 10, 15 or 50 trillion dollars going to cost? Theres no way in hell were ever going to pay for all of this.

Unless you are a high-income earner (over $250,000 a year), it's unlikely you'll need to worry about paying for it.

O god. Thats what Obama said? He said anything else?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 22 Feb 2009, 15:50:35

Pretorian wrote:
O god. Thats what Obama said? He said anything else?

You can look up his tax policy if you're actually interested. I've posted links to it enough times already.
Ludi

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 22 Feb 2009, 15:57:30

"his tax policy"? Are you out of your mind Ludi? The dude is already in the office, you didnt know? You can save a few pennis by using his tax manifesto in the most usefull way, if its soft enough.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 22 Feb 2009, 16:43:46

Pretorian wrote: Are you out of your mind Ludi?

I've never claimed otherwise. :)
Ludi

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 23 Feb 2009, 10:19:39

Ludi wrote:
Pretorian wrote: Are you out of your mind Ludi?

I've never claimed otherwise. :)

I almost mentioned it, but didnt want to be mean to you. Still, do you consider it to be normal, insane people electing a POTUS for sane people?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 23 Feb 2009, 11:00:59

Pretorian wrote:
I almost mentioned it, but didnt want to be mean to you. Still, do you consider it to be normal, insane people electing a POTUS for sane people?

I couldn't say, I didn't elect him.
Ludi

Unread postby jdmartin » Mon 23 Feb 2009, 11:54:00

A couple of people on this thread have it right. The real revolution is to simply withdraw from the system to the greatest extent possible. If people quit using the Federal Reserve's Indentured Servitude notes as much as possible, it would bring the whole house of cards down real fast. Powerdown, the Decomposing Consumerist, is Revolution.

Sure, you still have to pay your property tax in US dollars. Outside of that, you've got a lot of control on your own economy. There's already enough crap created into existence to last us a long, long time if you don't feel the need to have a new blackberry every 6 months. Trade unused items for those you need. Learn a useful skill and barter it. Hell, if nothing else, use your dollars to purchase used goods from your local citizens - this is certainly better than handing it over to the Chinese via Wallyworld.

I started an earnest attempt to withdraw from the system almost 2 years ago. Before that, I was any average American consumer with consumer debt, car loans, a mortgage, etc. Not a crazy consumerist but certainly not what I'd consider "thrifty". Today, making a decent household wage (substantially less than 6 figures), I own one newer and two older cars free and clear that I can repair myself, no consumer debt, and just the mortgage to deal with. I've dug up a big part of my yard for a garden this year and am preparing to put in several fruit trees. I've noticed as I've continued my withdrawal that my bank account has grown substantially, my stress level has decreased (I'm not as worried about downsizing or layoffs), and that I've rediscovered internal things of satisfaction, ie music, art, hanging out with good friends, etc.

^^That is going to be the real Revolution. We're not going to bring down the system with guns and armies, we're going to bring it down by changing ourselves. Guys like Santelli might be nice guys but they're clowns - they're part of the system they're railing against. They're full of shit is what they are, really. I watched the clip and nothing says irony like floor traders in Chicago cheering about bringing down the financial system through laissez-faire policies :-D
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance