Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Powers that Be

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: The Powers that Be

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 21:51:42

Plantagenet wrote:The biggest power a person can have is the power to start a nuclear war and destroy the planet.

And, for some reason, Ds in Congress want to take the nuclear button away from Joe Biden.

democrats-biden-give-up-sole-nuclear-capabilities

I'm a little bit surprised by this.....you'd think Joe Biden's fellow Ds would support Joe Biden and back his authority as president....

But no.....the Ds want Joe to give up the ultimate power a President has...

Leftie Ds don't trust Joe Biden with control of the US nuclear arsenal....

Cheers!

While I am not particularly thrilled to have President Biden holding the nuclear codes it has been demonstrated time and again that in a crisis rule by committee is the wrong answer. Fortunately (or not) the Military has long had contingency plans for what to do if the "Civilian Authority" is unavailable when a nuclear attack takes place on US soil. It doesn't involve sitting on their hands and hoping a civilian authority eventually shows up.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 01:47:03

Subjectivist wrote: Fortunately (or not) the Military has long had contingency plans for what to do if the "Civilian Authority" is unavailable when a nuclear attack takes place on US soil. It doesn't involve sitting on their hands and hoping a civilian authority eventually shows up.

When I was in the Air Force it was the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP), Highly classified, and the scariest government document I have ever read. Literally changed my paradigm about governments. Here is the WIKI link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Integrated_Operational_Plan

Mostly accurate.

PEACE
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 11:35:44

careinke wrote:
Subjectivist wrote: Fortunately (or not) the Military has long had contingency plans for what to do if the "Civilian Authority" is unavailable when a nuclear attack takes place on US soil. It doesn't involve sitting on their hands and hoping a civilian authority eventually shows up.

When I was in the Air Force it was the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP), Highly classified, and the scariest government document I have ever read. Literally changed my paradigm about governments. Here is the WIKI link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Integrated_Operational_Plan

Mostly accurate.

PEACE

So, the movie "Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb" was an optimistic and more logical look at nuclear strategy.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 12:32:32

Really, no matter how the disaster happens, you will never be out there all alone, like some sort of Libertarian wet dream. Even if it's composed of people all wearing uniforms, some organized group will always exist to impose its will over you. We are never going back to the Old West, to the magic freedom of the Frontier. But, you know, Westerns might come back?

Logically, the answer is to group up, before the SHTF. But we shouldn't do so using the understanding that some group or other has forced this upon us, allowing us to think about others as an enemy. We should be using our common interests to gather us so that we can be more powerful lobbies. Otherwise, fear is a distraction.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion