Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE James Lovelock Thread Pt 2 (merged)

Re: Lovelock on Climate change

Unread postby americandream » Wed 07 Apr 2010, 19:54:55

You can only remedy the collective tendencies of capitalism, COLLECTIVELY. Anything else, and you might as well be pissing in the wind.

And the only collective remedy worth the effort is mass and global wide communalisation, and the complete end of the private (and its corrupting influence in overpopulated countries such as China and India). This individual effort here and that New Age style commune there still leaves the problem intact....a global economy based around creating an endless list of obsolent wants for the purposes of maintaining an increasingly larger annual profit. No amount of kumbaya capitalism is ever going to alter that fact that the bottom line and growth are siamese twins.

The solution is political, radical and populist, as it has ALWAYS been. No bean counter in a business suit is going to make this happen, nor a weedhead in the latest "save the world" ethnic fancy dress.

mos6507 wrote:
americandream wrote:We won't know until we've tried it.

Pretty much everything I see advocated already has been tried--with poor results. If you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it.

We don't really have the time to go down the road of trial and error.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 07 Apr 2010, 20:46:37

americandream wrote:The solution is political, radical and populist, as it has ALWAYS been.

You go first. Oh, that's right, you aren't going anywhere. You're just talking.
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 07 Apr 2010, 22:57:38

americandream wrote:And the only collective remedy worth the effort is mass and global wide communalisation

I think you'll discover that a lot of people have written out their own dogmatic prescriptions for what ails us. I sure have mine. But the chances that everybody's going to unify under one banner are slim to none.

I think you should come to grips with the fact that the failure of the system will lead to a war of ideas on where we go from here. This is a necessary process, and unfortunately a messy one as well, if people feel their survival depends on dragging everyone else kicking and screaming into their chosen -ism.
mos6507

Unread postby careinke » Sat 17 Apr 2010, 15:00:21

I am in agreement with Mos. We are going to have endless battles between the Isms. However, I don't think that is such a bad thing. My worst nightmare would be one world government, no matter the Ism. Because eventually it would become corrupt and there would be nothing to counterbalance it. Think an entire Nazzi world under Hitler. Or a Communist world under Pol Pot.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby davep » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 15:52:16

careinke wrote:I am in agreement with Mos. We are going to have endless battles between the Isms. However, I don't think that is such a bad thing. My worst nightmare would be one world government, no matter the Ism. Because eventually it would become corrupt and there would be nothing to counterbalance it. Think an entire Nazzi world under Hitler. Or a Communist world under Pol Pot.

Worldwide AnarchISM will certainly avoid that problem. That's a lot of its raison d'etre.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 18:46:51

careinke wrote:I am in agreement with Mos. We are going to have endless battles between the Isms. However, I don't think that is such a bad thing. My worst nightmare would be one world government, no matter the Ism. Because eventually it would become corrupt and there would be nothing to counterbalance it. Think an entire Nazzi world under Hitler. Or a Communist world under Pol Pot.

A one world government doesn't have to be a dystopia. In fact, one might say that we won't have matured as a species until we can come together like that.

mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 18:47:00

A one world government doesn't have to be a dystopia. In fact, one might say that we won't have matured as a species until we can come together like that.

mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 18:49:48

davep wrote:Worldwide AnarchISM will certainly avoid that problem. That's a lot of its raison d'etre.

Good luck with that one. Anarchism will last about as long as it takes for the first warlords to establish control.
mos6507

Re: THE James Lovelock Thread (merged)

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 18:51:16

But will the benevolent dictatorship allow people to live a different way, like with the Prime Directive, or will everyone be forced to live as decided by the Benevolent Overlords?
Ludi

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 18:52:37

Won't happen until the V show up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307824/
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 18 Apr 2010, 18:59:01

The Benevolent Overlords could do it with the Gas of Peace, as in "Things to Come."

Ludi

Unread postby Homesteader » Mon 19 Apr 2010, 00:15:27

mos6507 wrote:
A one world government doesn't have to be a dystopia. In fact, one might say that we won't have matured as a species until we can come together like that.]

I would posit the opposite.

We won't have matured as a species until we support and celebrate diversity and no longer kill that which is not like us, be it other species, cultures, currencies etc. . .

By definition "one world government" is a loss of diversity on many, many levels.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 19 Apr 2010, 01:34:02

OK, I'll link to it before someone else does.

Now back to your regularly scheduled doom...
mos6507

Unread postby davep » Mon 19 Apr 2010, 03:28:56

mos6507 wrote:
davep wrote:Worldwide AnarchISM will certainly avoid that problem. That's a lot of its raison d'etre.

Good luck with that one. Anarchism will last about as long as it takes for the first warlords to establish control.

That just depends on who has the guns.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 19 Apr 2010, 03:39:13

Anarchism is hard to enforce ;-)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby americandream » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 16:27:19

Lovelock's point in his recent BBC interview is that nothing short of a global dicatarship dedicated to tacking climate risk is capable of even beginning to offer the hope of tackling the problem (whether that will succeed is another matter and only time will tell).

I suspect that he contemplates a rational dictatorship in which UNIVERSAL common good holds sway. And I say universal as it MUST take nothing short of a common objective to harness ALL mankind to this task. Anything less will be utterly futile and we might as well continue our existing ways. There WILL have to be a common understandsing worldwide of the risks we face AND the cause of those risks (irrational and excessive lifestyles premised around infantile notions of never ending growth and bubble profits).

How likely is this to happen on a planet awash with religious paranoia and class manipulation and on which humankind's major achievements have been harnessed to these nefarious ends? It will take nothing short of a disaster to impel the masses out of their slumber.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 16:31:11

I wonder who Lovelock would vote for for Dictator? Or for the Dictator Team?
Ludi

Unread postby americandream » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 16:42:35

Lovelock is a child of an older order. The same order that gave birth to Churchill and his British Imperial dream of a vast empire of endless shops, Hitler and his European nationalist dream of a car for everyone and autobahns across the length and breadth of an European dominated global Reich and Stalin, the Georgian, and leader of the multi-ethnic and atheistic Soviet collective and its creed of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs".

Which do you think that reason dictates is the most promising form, risks notwithstanding?

Ludi wrote:I wonder who Lovelock would vote for for Dictator? Or for the Dictator Team?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 16:46:49

I'm not big on the whole "reason" thing, personally. I'm more into esthetics.
Ludi

Unread postby americandream » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 17:35:09

This exercise requires that you rise above the "I" and contemplate the broader sweep of human history and where it will ultimately compel us as a species. These issues take us beyond personal aesthetics into the realms of cultural change on an epic scale and well beyond the the self, nation or race. The compelling elements that drove us from Africa and continue to compel us. Our environment and its resources.

Ludi wrote:I'm not big on the whole "reason" thing, personally. I'm more into esthetics.
americandream
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate