Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The France Thread (merged) Pt. 4

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: The France Thread

Unread postby Cog » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 16:47:33

I'm more than a little confused now. I thought the left hated globalism just a few years ago during the Occupy Wall Street gig but now they hate nationalism. Particularly the Trump brand of nationalism.

So I guess it comes down to this for them:

They are against the free movement of goods between nations because of tax revenue, working conditions in 3rd world nations, basically greedy capitalist stuff.

They are in favor of global governance, global taxation and mass migration from the 3rd world to the 1st to removing the scourge of white people from the planet.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 16:49:57

onlooker wrote:Wow, tumultuous times in France
Strasbourg shooting: at least one killed at Christmas market

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ern-france

Could be sand people. They don't much care for Christmas.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 17:04:09

Cog wrote:I'm more than a little confused now. I thought the left hated globalism just a few years ago during the Occupy Wall Street gig but now they hate nationalism. Particularly the Trump brand of nationalism.

So I guess it comes down to this for them:

They are against the free movement of goods between nations because of tax revenue, working conditions in 3rd world nations, basically greedy capitalist stuff.

They are in favor of global governance, global taxation and mass migration from the 3rd world to the 1st to removing the scourge of white people from the planet.

I am also confused 8O
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 21:53:11

I think this protest is specificly about the Carbon Tax that is making both vehicles and HVAC for residences cost more. I mean that's what they SAY it's about, and that's what the protest signs say. I just think the Middle Class is not onboard with a carbon tax that escalates energy costs for them.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 01:43:00

KaiserJeep wrote:You are all being deceptive. The yellow jacket protests are specifically about carbon taxes that penalize middle class workers with job losses and unaffordable fuels.

Or, you're just objectively wrong. Which is more likely?

When the riots persisted for days in France, I Googled about it. Issues about the wealth tax, wealth redistribution, etc. were clearly front and center, along with the fuel tax issue.

I posted on some thread on this subject at the time that the timing of this big fuel tax increase was really stupid on Macron's part, when other tax/wealth measures were angering the masses.

Here, dated Dec. 4th. With citations for some of the articles I looked at.

the-electric-vehicle-ev-thread-pt-9-t74238-40.html?hilit=%20macron

And no, I wasn't being "deceptive", I was reading the news and looking at facts.

I just googled "Yellow Jackets france" and this was the first likely looking article I saw:

"He has to go," he said. "He's adding all these taxes without helping us at all — it's just tax, tax, tax."

Alexandre Bouchard who had traveled up from the rural Corrèze department in central France said he had come because he wanted to protest against increasing inequality.

"There is no longer a redistribution of wealth in France," the electrician, 28, said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pari ... ce-n945561
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 10:54:26

OS, by carefully searching the internet, one can generally and reliably find support for any pre-concieved position. However, when you simply observe what the protestors are saying on the video bytes and on the signs they carry, the multitude of other motives disappears behind the simpler truth that expensive vehicle and HVAC hydrocarbon fuels angered them.

The take-away message for me: The Middle Class will not tolerate a lifestyle constrained by carbon taxes. It really is that simple.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 11:30:48

KaiserJeep wrote:OS, by carefully searching the internet, one can generally and reliably find support for any pre-concieved position. However, when you simply observe what the protestors are saying on the video bytes and on the signs they carry, the multitude of other motives disappears behind the simpler truth that expensive vehicle and HVAC hydrocarbon fuels angered them.

The take-away message for me: The Middle Class will not tolerate a lifestyle constrained by carbon taxes. It really is that simple.

Nor policies that keep enriching the rich and grinding down everbody else
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 12:56:01

KaiserJeep wrote: The Middle Class will not tolerate a lifestyle constrained by carbon taxes. It really is that simple.

Yup.

And rich people are the same. A survey of the ultra-rich and giant corporations that support the Paris Climate Accords recently asked them if they'd give up their private jets to help reduce CO2 emissions.

Most said no. The upper classes also will not tolerate a lifestyle constrained by carbon taxes. They won't even tolerate a life constrained by the lack of private jets. It really is that simple.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 16 Apr 2019, 06:34:18

lci.fr
Prix des carburants : l'essence au plus haut depuis le début de la crise des Gilets jaunes
Laurence VALDÉSMis à jour : Hier à 10:13Créé : Hier à 10:13EmailTwitter
2-3 minutes

POUVOIR D'ACHAT - Le prix du Super SP95 frôle le pic d'octobre qui avait suscité de vives contestations et marqué le début du mouvement des Gilets jaunes. Il s'affiche à 1,5653 euro le litre, selon les chiffres donnés ce lundi par le ministère de la Transition écologique et solidaire. Le diesel poursuit également sa hausse mais moins rapidement.

15 avr. 10:13 - Laurence VALDÉS

Non content d'être à son plus haut depuis le début de l'année, le prix de l'essence revient à un niveau quasi-comparable à début octobre. Le Super SP95 s'affichait en effet en moyenne à 1,5653 euro le litre la semaine dernière, selon les statistiques communiquées ce lundi 15 avril par le ministère de la Transition écologique et solidaire. A la pompe, cela représente 2 centimes de plus qu'une semaine plus tôt.

Mais, surtout, la courbe, qui suit une nette tendance à la hausse depuis la toute fin de l'année dernière (plus bas de 2018 à 1,4036 euro la semaine de Noël), s'approche tout près du pic de 2018, observé pour sa part la deuxième semaine d'octobre (1,5735 euro). Il y a en tout cas, actuellement, moins d'un centime d'écart avec cette barre symbolique.
Progression moins rapide pour le diesel

La progression se poursuit également pour le diesel mais à un rythme plus lent. Ce carburant s'affichait ainsi en moyenne à 1,4695 euro le litre la semaine dernière, toujours selon les chiffres du gouvernement. C'est un petit centime de plus que la semaine précédente (1,4612 euro). Le pic, également observé la deuxième semaine d'octobre (1,5331 euro), reste ainsi tenu à distance... pour le moment.

Au début de l'automne, ces hauts niveaux de tarifs des carburants, doublés du rapprochement des prix de l'essence et du diesel, avaient provoqué une forte contestation au sein de nombreux consommateurs, marquant le début du mouvement social des Gilets jaunes.

A noter que les prix des carburants fournis par le gouvernement sont des moyennes. Les pompistes sont libres de pratiquer d'autres prix, plus hauts ou plus bas. Pour trouver la station-service la moins chère à côté de chez vous, vous pouvez consulter ici notre carte interactive.
Sur le même sujet

Automobile
Gilets Jaunes
Diesel

Plus d'articles

Google translate...
lci.fr
Fuel prices: gasoline at the highest since the start of the Yellow Vests crisis
Laurence VALDÉMis updated: Yesterday at 10: 13Create: Yesterday at 10: 13EmailTwitter
2-3 minutes

PURCHASING AUTHORITY - The price of the Super SP95 is close to the peak of October that had sparked fierce disputes and marked the beginning of the movement of yellow vests. It appears at 1.5653 euro per liter, according to the figures given on Monday by the Ministry of Ecological and Solidarity Transition. Diesel also continues to rise but less quickly.

Apr 15 10:13 AM - Laurence VALDÉS

Not content to be at its highest since the beginning of the year, the price of gasoline returns to a level almost comparable to early October. The Super SP95 appeared on average at 1.5653 euro per liter last week, according to statistics released Monday, April 15 by the Ministry of ecological transition and solidarity. At the pump, this represents 2 cents more than a week earlier.

But above all, the curve, which follows a clear upward trend since the very end of last year (2018 low at 1.4036 euro Christmas week), is approaching the peak of 2018, observed for its part the second week of October (1.5735 euro). In any case, at present, there is less than a penny difference with this symbolic bar.
Slower progress for diesel

Progress is also continuing for diesel but at a slower pace. This fuel appeared on average at 1.4695 euro per liter last week, according to government figures. It's a small dime more than the previous week (1.4612 euro). The peak, also observed the second week of October (1.5331 euro), remains well kept at a distance ... for the moment.

In early fall, these high levels of fuel prices, coupled with the price hike of gasoline and diesel, provoked a strong protest among many consumers, marking the beginning of the social movement of the yellow vests.

Note that fuel prices provided by the government are averages. The pump attendants are free to practice other prizes, higher or lower. To find the cheapest petrol station next to you, you can consult our interactive map here.
On the same subject

automobile
Yellow Vests
Diesel

More articles

LINK
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Europe Discussion