Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE British Petroleum (BP) Thread pt 2 (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: BP Gulf Spill Now Equaling Exxon Valdez Every 3.5 Days

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 24 May 2010, 23:37:02

Yup.

For a month now, BP and the Obama administration have been covering up the actual rate and size of this oil spill with their phony 5000 bbl/day estimate. Even when BP was bringing 5000 bbl day of oil up to surface through their mile-long tube, while the subsurface videos simultaneously showed the vast bulk of oil continuing to blast into the ocean, BP and the Obama administration stuck by the ridiculously low 5000 bbl/day number.

BP is lying about the size of the spill in a vain attempt to downplay the huge ecological impacts, and the Obama administration is lying about the size of the spill to minimize the political damage from the spill. :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 24 May 2010, 23:41:47

Once more people know about this, it will have huge implications!
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Boycott BP

Unread postby americandream » Tue 25 May 2010, 00:11:32

What the heck do I care what you capitalists do. I'm taking a front seat and stocking up on pop corn. Either way, you're gonna balls up big time and wham, one stroke on the armaggedon button, and you're out. :-D
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mcgowanjm » Tue 25 May 2010, 08:26:21

timmac wrote:I understand the problems with BP and the spill but Boycotting them or Banning them I find hard to swallow when no one speaks out about Boycotting Saudi Arabia's oil when there is tons of proff that the are funding our enemies and killing American military personal and civilian citizens...

Saudi officials are also reported to send explosives and weapons to the terrorist groups.

Meanwhile, Secretary General of the Saudi National Security Council Prince Bandar Bin Sultan Bin Abdul Aziz is said to be the main guilty behind the case.

The report came as earlier last week, Saudi army officer Abdullah al-Qahtani was arrested in Iraq over charges of planning a terrorist attack during the upcoming FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
:x

http://peakoil.com/publicpolicy/saudi-k ... ence-leak/

Let me tell you the difference.
This is our home.
There is nothing else.

That Well, 5 000 ft down 41 Miles out is now a crime scene.
This is an Extinction Level Event.
BP is NOT god.
The US is the Superpower. Or so we've been told.
Every day that this ELE goes on, every construct of Civilization, Empire, Planetary life collapses.

That's the difference.
mcgowanjm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mcgowanjm » Tue 25 May 2010, 08:30:27

And for the US Government to spend ALL day
yesterday getting out the message that BP's in
charge and the US can't remove them is

Obscene Insanity.

The US Navy's the Biggest and Baddest. It supposedly
can remove anyone. We let BP drill here. We let BP
go ahead with ZERO mitigation plans.

And we'ring letting them make the Gulf of Mexico
a Dead Zone, just like the Persian Gulf is now.

Big Difference. The Gulf is the breeding ground for
everything in the N Atlantic N W Hemisphere.

Fuck BP in every possible way. Take everything they have now.
The US Government is in charge of this Extinction Level
Event.

Nuke the Well. :twisted: 8O :shock: 8)
mcgowanjm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 25 May 2010, 08:36:25

Why does nuking the well even approach a rational approach to shutting down this oil leak?

Its not going to happen. Its pure tinfoil to even suggest it will. The relief wells will stop the flow 2 months hence and its a tried method that works.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 25 May 2010, 09:05:12

And what is the reason for some on these forums downplaying the rate of the flow?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Tue 25 May 2010, 11:19:28

dohboi wrote:And what is the reason for some on these forums downplaying the rate of the flow?

Because if you look at historical data related to previous well production in the deep-water GOM then the hysterical claims of 160K bpd(Simmons) make no sense as all. Its not that reasonable people are down-playing the serious harm that is going on the GOM, its an attempt by some of us to interject some rationality into the discussion.

If there is 160K bpd going on with one leaking well, then we should have every DW drilling rig available, exploiting this huge find.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 25 May 2010, 11:58:56

dohboi wrote:And what is the reason for some ... downplaying the rate of the flow?

BP and its supporters are lying about the size of the spill to downplay the huge ecological disaster they've caused, and the Obama administration and its supporters are lying about the size of the spill to downplay the huge ecological disaster they've allowed to occur on their watch.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eXpat » Tue 25 May 2010, 13:44:28

Cog wrote:Why does nuking the well even approach a rational approach to shutting down this oil leak?

Its not going to happen. Its pure tinfoil to even suggest it will. The relief wells will stop the flow 2 months hence and its a tried method that works.

As much as I would like it to be true, remember that not method is 100% guaranteed
BP Relief Wells Bring Risk of Bigger Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill
May 11 (Bloomberg) -- BP Plc faces the risk of an even bigger oil spill as it attempts to drill two so-called relief wells to plug a leak on the seabed of the Gulf of Mexico that’s gushing 5,000 barrels a day into the ocean.

The relief wells will pump cement into the leak to seal it. To do that, BP will need to first drill into the same deposit of oil and gas that caused a pressure surge known as a blowout at the original well, igniting an explosion that killed 11 workers and sank a $365 million drilling rig.

In a regulatory filing BP made to drill the relief wells it estimates another blowout could release as much as 240,000 barrels of oil a day into the ocean. That’s almost 50 percent more than the company’s worst-case estimate for the first well and equivalent to two-thirds of supply pumped daily from Prudhoe Bay, the largest U.S. oil field.

When detailing the risks in the filing, BP may have factored in the volatile conditions found when drilling the original well that blew up on April 20, said Fred Aminzadeh, a research professor at the University of Southern California.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-11/bp-relief-wells-bring-risk-of-bigger-gulf-of-mexico-oil-spill.html
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Homesteader » Tue 25 May 2010, 14:43:46

It isn't a "leak",it is a blowout.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 25 May 2010, 15:53:59

timmac wrote:But boycotting them now will do no good, at least let them try and finish the job..

You are joking, right? Their liability is $65 million. They spent more than that already and can /will stick the bill to the taxpayer at any time.

timmac wrote:How bout we stop selling all grain to all foreign countries and turn all that grain into fuel, Iam game are you........... 8)

That will be the best decision US would have ever made. Dreams, dreams...
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 25 May 2010, 16:00:27

The question that should be is " How do you boycot BP?" Many of the BP-brand gas-stations are locally-owned, but ok, fuck the owners if they chose it. Dont they sell gas to many different stations? Do they own other brands?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Buggy » Tue 25 May 2010, 20:34:18

Pretorian wrote:The question that should be is " How do you boycot BP?" Many of the BP-brand gas-stations are locally-owned, but ok, the owners if they chose it. Dont they sell gas to many different stations? Do they own other brands?

BP brands to boycott include Castrol, Arco, Aral, am/pm, Amoco, and Wild Bean Cafe, Safeway gas.

I hear all the different arrangements to not boycott, and there is validity. But all we do is whine and bellyache and do nothing. I say doing something is better than doing nothing. Yes, we are all going down in flames, but I would prefer the evil bastards that set the fires lead the way.
"We have flown up our own collective numeric bung-hole."
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

BP Shuts Trans-Alaska After Spill

Unread postby mattduke » Tue 25 May 2010, 21:40:09

The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, partly owned by BP (BP.L: Quote, Profile, Research), shut down on Tuesday after spilling several thousand barrels of crude oil, drastically cutting supply out of Alaska's oilfields.

http://in.reuters.com/article/governmen ... 2320100526
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: BP Shuts Trans-Alaska After Spill

Unread postby jbrovont » Tue 25 May 2010, 23:15:00

Apparently destroying the GOM isn't enough for them. Go big or go home right?

mattduke wrote:
The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, partly owned by BP (BP.L: Quote, Profile, Research), shut down on Tuesday after spilling several thousand barrels of crude oil, drastically cutting supply out of Alaska's oilfields.

http://in.reuters.com/article/governmen ... 2320100526
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 26 May 2010, 02:58:10

So can anybody tell me whats the deal with that 65M liability thing? Did they make any statements? I really want to know what kind of dividends they will be paying to their shareholders.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 26 May 2010, 14:17:35

I say give the poor guys a break--they were only off by a piddling two orders of magnitude--what's the big deal?

[/sarconol]

And this is considered "reasonable" rational sober judgment, while Simmons claiming it could be just ~ 50% above present levels is considered "hysterical."

Cog is hysterical, too, but more in a rotglmao kind of way.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jbrovont » Wed 26 May 2010, 15:21:32

I'm really not understanding the desire to defend "small" flow rates. Emotional attachment? 8O The size of the pipe is known. We can estimate the speed of ejection from the video. If that's not good enough, we can just run the numbers based on pressure and viscosity. Compare the two and see how well they agree. Either way, it doesn't look good. Unfortunately, we don't have exact figues on either pressure differential or ejection speed - otherwise I guess there wouldn't be an argument. :roll: What we can do is express an inequality with a high degree of accuracy.

dohboi wrote:I say give the poor guys a break--they were only off by a piddling two orders of magnitude--what's the big deal?

[/sarconol]

And this is considered "reasonable" rational sober judgment, while Simmons claiming it could be just ~ 50% above present levels is considered "hysterical."

Cog is hysterical, too, but more in a rotglmao kind of way.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 26 May 2010, 18:24:47

BP just screwed up and cut off the live feed.

They were showing the side of the BOP as close as they could get, to try to keep you from seeing anything, but when the oil started to massively come out from UNDER the BOP, they cut off the feed.

I don't think top kill worked.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion