Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Race Differences in Intelligence by Professor Richard Lynn

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Race Differences in Intelligence by Professor Richard Ly

Unread postby Doly » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 05:49:49

Tyler_JC wrote:I would strongly prefer a world full of peaceful, happy people over a world where the smarter people know who they are and feel compelled to conquer the dumb people.

What exactly do we gain by identifying Ethiopians or Peruvians or Russians as the dumbest ethinc group?

Nothing.

We only piss off a bunch of Ethiopians or Peruvians or Russians.

I beg you, just let this topic die.

There are so many common misunderstandings here that I hardly know where two start.

First of all, smart people know who they are. I have yet to meet an intelligent person that has failed to notice they are.

Second, smart people very seldom want to dominate the world. Really. What smart people usually want to do is whatever they are best at, whether it's math, programming, music, or public relations. Extremely few think that their natural talent is dominating the world. That's why there aren't that many conquerors out there.

Third, intelligence has many factors. Somebody can be good at maths but bad at learning languages, good at music and terrible at understanding gadgets, good at closing a deal and useless at accountancy.

If honest, unbiased scientific investigation was directed towards determining differences in mental abilities among different ethnical groups, I believe the likely findings would be:

1) There are more ethnic groups in Africa than anywhere else. Grouping all the black people together is probably a greater mistake than grouping all non-blacks. This is because the origins of mankind are in Africa, and that's where more diversity is to be expected.
2) Statistical differences do exist.
3) However, the differences are small enough as to be of no use in profiling. Meaning, even if the average Zulu has better ear than the average white person, this doesn't mean that, when looking for a musician, it's a good idea to eliminate all the whites. Individual differences far outweigh racial differences.
4) No ethnic group is universally dumb for everything. After all, they all managed to survive till now! So no easy picks for conquering. :-D
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SoothSayer » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 06:12:07

There's a reason so few world-class minds come out of Africa, and it's got nothing to do with race.

A lot of it is due to poor diet prior to the age of 5.

This also happens in the poor areas of Glasgow (Scotland).
Technology will save us!
SoothSayer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SoothSayer » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 06:17:44

Individual differences far outweigh racial differences.

Exactly right.

Hands Eseynck back in 1971 in his book Race, Intelligence and Education was abused by the left ... but he in fact made the same point as you.

IQ differences between groups can only be seen when you average the results of large numbers of people.
Technology will save us!
SoothSayer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 06:48:51

Well,

I have to hold my hand up here and admit that the Irish are definitely not the smartest race. I know this because I saw an Irishman at the beach drying his towel on the hood of his car by running the engine.

Really though, there are so many other factors at play here that IMO it is impossible to link race and intelligence. Poor diet, pollution in inner city areas, lack of stimulation in childhood etc. can all lead to reduced intellect before genetic factors are taken into account.

"Well, Mrs. O'Connor, so you want a divorce?" the solicitor questioned his client. "Tell me about it. Do you have a grudge?"
"Oh, no," replied Mrs. O'Connor. "Shure now, we have a carport."
The solicitor tried again. "Well, does the man beat you up?"
"No, no," said Mrs. O'Connor, looking puzzled. "Oi'm always first out of bed."
Still hopeful, the solicitor tried once again. "Well, does he go in for unnatural connubial practices?"
"Shure now, he plays the flute, but I don't think he knows anything about the connubial."
Now desperate, the solicitor pushed on. "What I'm trying to find out are what grounds you have."
"Bless ye, sor. We live in a flat -- not even a window box, let alone grounds."
"Mrs. O'Connor," the solicitor said in considerable exasperation, "you need a reason that the court can consider. What is the reason for you seeking this divorce?"
"Ah, well now," said the lady, "Shure it's because the man can't hold an intelligent conversation."

After an accident on a building site when an irishman had his ear chopped off, the doctor tells him not to worry, it could be sewn back on easily. The Irishman says to the doctor "You can't do that that, its not my ear, mine had a pencil behind it."

For the above joke, insert the racial group of your preference.

It's like the sixth sense - I see stupid people...... EVERYWHERE.
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 06:52:35

NEWSFLASH !!
After digging to a depth of 100m last year, English scientists found traces of copper wiring dating back 1000 years, and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network one thousand years ago.
So as not to be outdone, in the weeks that followed, Scottish scientists dug 200m, and headlines in the Scottish newspapers read:-
"Scots scientists have found traces of 2000 year old optical fibres, and have concluded that their ancestors already had advanced high-tech digital telephones 1000 years earlier than the English."
One week later, the Irish press reported the following:- "After digging as deep as 500m, Irish scientists have found absolutely nothing. They have concluded that 5000 years ago, their ancestors were already using mobile phones."
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby skeptic » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 07:22:00

CaptainJackSparrow wrote:
This book should be of particular interest to your audience.

Er...why? Im interested in Peak Oil, not trash like this.

this is advertising masquerading as a forum contribution. This thread ought to be deleted. Leaving it uo will only encourage more marketeers to spam the forum with ads.
skeptic
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SoothSayer » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 07:38:34

CaptainJackSparrow is NOT a marketeer ... he seems to be a white supremacist from South America.

I checked all his posts ... they all seem intended to kick off a racial discussion of some sort.

Small scale social engineering at work.
Technology will save us!
SoothSayer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby seven » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 12:37:35

Several months ago, I read a news article that said that an allele for evolution of the brain was found, and that the allele is not present in African Americans. The article further states that this finding is not publicized or mentioned much because it might cause or exacerbate racial prejudice.

Be that as it may, the allele could possibly account for higher intelligence in a given group, say, one that has a substantially longer history of complex/advanced societies - which has been suggested as a possible factor in the consistently higher IQ and test scores of some Asian groups. In addition, their high consumption of fish is suggested as another possible factor...presumably due to the Omega 3 fatty acids.
obscurum per obscurius
seven
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lotrfan55345 » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 14:12:02

Allele for the evolution of the brain? If it wasn't present it African American, wouldn't that mean they would still retain the same brain that our common ancestor had... a 400cc brain.... obviously African American brains now are not 400cc...
lotrfan55345
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TommyJefferson » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 15:22:59

skeptic wrote:Im interested in Peak Oil, not trash like this.

Ah yes. Valid scientific findings you don't like are "trash".

You sound like Jerry Falwell.
Conform . Consume . Obey .
TommyJefferson
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eric_b » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 20:11:51

pstarr wrote:
dreamtwister wrote:Warmed-over eugenics nonsense.
thanks for putting it back into perspective. Claims for genetic mental superiority are racist. end of discussion for me :)

However you want to label and reject it is irrelevant. The cold hard
fact is genetics does play a role in intelligence, no matter how
you choose to define it. You've got the genes to be a human, not
an oak tree.

Hopefully this is obvious. Just another taboo topic courtesy of the
PC movement.
eric_b
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eric_b » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 20:36:23

:shock: :lol:

I liked the French one best. The English one wasn't bad either.

'Europeans in general' was good for a hoot.

Unfortunately the american one was the most accurate (tongue in
cheek)
eric_b
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 22:28:24

The trouble with the concentration on race and IQ is that it politicizes an ordinary observation: There are people who are of above normal intelligence and there are people of sub-normal IQ. Examples can be found in all races.

There is race variance but the divergence is not as great as the divergences that exist within a particular race.

No real disagreement exists in the field of cognitive psychologists when it comes to IQ and IQ testing. The experts nearly universally agree that there is a human faculty for understanding that can be tested for accurately and reliably and that these tests have considerable utility. It's only in the realm of ordinary people that the idea is so objectionable.

Who are the most intelligent people on the planet? According to the book "The Bell Curve", it is Ashkenazi Jews (those of Germanic extraction). If you call the average IQ of all Caucasians "100" then Ashkenazi Jews would register about 115, a full standard deviation greater. Japanese, a very homogenous people, would show an average IQ as 105.

What's MY IQ? I took the MENSA test about 12 years ago and scored a 131 - I think I was in the 92nd percentile or something like that - not good enough for MENSA which requires you to get at least into the 98th percentile.

I don't give a fuck though... my dick was bigger than theirs.
Carlhole

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 22:52:05

Carlhole wrote:
:lol: Does it really matter anymore anyway? (BTW mine is 137, my dick is probably bigger too) I knew a guy who was one of those 180s, he financed his college education hustling chess he told me. A real wack job! He told me how he took LSD and the track for a most fantastic maze jumped off the page. He worked for a defense contractor here in San Diego that was designing a computerized grid of the Red Sea for the Saudi government to track movements. He told the "commitee" that their plans were full of shit and he could do it by himself. He told me he got stoned right before the deadline and cranked it all out on the spur of the moment. I went with him to the Del Mar racetrack because he said he had won lots of money using his own personally designed system for predicting winners. I bet on all his trifecta picks and everyone of them was almost right, but not quite and I lost about 20 bucks. Super genius on the IQ standard is really about cognitive quickness and says nothing about understanding. I'm reminded of what Gandalf told Frodo about the proprietor of the Inn at Bree, Barliman Butterbur, "he may seem slow, but he can think his way through a brick wall if you give him time".
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lotrfan55345 » Tue 13 Jun 2006, 23:50:09

Tiny tiny differnces and these differences are probably exclaberated by the small samples sizes of the tests subjects
lotrfan55345
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby lotrfan55345 » Wed 14 Jun 2006, 00:18:39

Carlhole wrote:What's MY IQ? I took the MENSA test about 12 years ago and scored a 131 - I think I was in the 92nd percentile or something like that - not good enough for MENSA which requires you to get at least into the 98th percentile.

In 3rd grade I took the Slosson Intelligence Test and found that I was in the 99 percentile. (Does that even count?) I have a small dick thugh.
Last edited by lotrfan55345 on Wed 14 Jun 2006, 00:27:03, edited 1 time in total.
lotrfan55345
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Atlantean_Relic » Wed 14 Jun 2006, 00:20:20

Asians invented bureaucracy, Whether that makes them smart or evil, I'll leave it up to you.
Was a long and dark December
When the banks became cathedrals
And the fog
Became God
Atlantean_Relic
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: North of Id, west of Oz, and infront of the damned rabbit

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Wed 14 Jun 2006, 00:35:26

lotrfan55345 wrote:
Carlhole wrote:What's MY IQ? I took the MENSA test about 12 years ago and scored a 131 - I think I was in the 92nd percentile or something like that - not good enough for MENSA which requires you to get at least into the 98th percentile.

In 3rd grade I took the Slosson Intelligence Test and found that I was in the 99 percentile. (Does that even count?) I have a small dick thugh.
:lol: :lol: you're funny kid. I enjoyed all those international videos you posted, best of today's offerings.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion