Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Li Ion Energy required to make and recycle

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Li Ion Energy required to make and recycle

Unread postby ArimoDave » Sun 17 Apr 2005, 22:58:07

I just joined. This new Li Ion battery prompted me to do so.

The question is: how much energy goes into making and recycling the batteries verses the energy it can hold and release durring its life? That is, how long does it take to get the energy out of the battery that went into making it and the future recylcling?
ArimoDave
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Devil » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 04:18:46

Welcome! Good question!
Devil
Devil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Agren » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 08:18:24

he question is: how much energy goes into making and recycling the batteries verses the energy it can hold and release durring its life?

Good question

That is, how long does it take to get the energy out of the battery that went into making it and the future recylcling?

What do you mean? Since you (obviously) have to recharge the battery you don't "get the energy out"? Batteries are always energy loosers, but this seems like such a basic note that I kinda figure I don't understand the question...
Agren
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MarkR » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 15:51:03

Good question indeed.

I seem to remember coming across a paper which discussed this. As I recall Li-ion had a much better overall energy cost (manufacture, recycling and energy wastage due to charge/discharge ineficiecies) that all other battery types (including vanadium redox) and hydrogen fuel cells.

I'll try and find the study and post back.

edit - Here's a different study, looking at energy/environmental costs of different battery technologies. Link

Take away figure is life-cycle efficiency of Li-ion battery storage is estimated as 71% (this is based on a solar PV system, so includes charging, discharge and inverter losses, as well as energy required to manufacturer and recycle the batteries).

Efficiency drops by about 3% if only electricity is available to make the batteries (no fossil fuels). A further 1-6% if batteries aren't recycled - and fresh lithium and cobalt must be mined. A further 20% less if batteries must be transported by plane.
MarkR
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ArimoDave » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 08:10:49

I did not, apparantly, word my question quite as clearly as I should have. Thanks Agren for pointing this out.

What I want to know, is what percentage of energy is diverted from the source that charges the battery to the mining, manufacturing, transportation, and recyling of it? (Assuming that all the energy comes from one source.)

This is not just for a Li-ion battery but for other technologies as well. I've found quite a bit of info available for PVs, but not for many others.
ArimoDave
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Devil » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 09:09:33

You could also extend the question to ask how much pollution is emitted from the mining of the raw materials through to the final disposal at end-of-life.

Lead-acid batteries must be horrifically polluting per watt, despite their efficiency.
Devil
Devil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Energy Technology