Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

November Election

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

What single issue will most affect the vote in November?

Poll ended at Sun 24 Oct 2004, 19:55:06

Jobs/Economy
22%
The War in Iraq
67%
Homeland Security
11%

Total votes : 18

November Election

Unread postby MonteQuest » Fri 24 Sep 2004, 19:55:06

I think it will hinge on the War in Iraq, whether it was worth it, and how it was handled once there.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jack » Fri 24 Sep 2004, 20:51:42

Aww, Hawkeye, George isn't so bad.

But I agree that the economy is in very big trouble.
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby small_steps » Fri 24 Sep 2004, 21:55:12

Hawkcreek wrote: Especially since it doesn't really make much difference which group of rich Expletive deleted. steals our money, anyway.
No Expletive deleted., doesn't matter who wins, we're fucked, better start digging you foxhole now.
small_steps
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Guest » Fri 24 Sep 2004, 22:04:42

Its not george that worries me so much. Its this pack of machiavellian neocon demagogues that i worry about. Lets face it, the political landscape isn't exactly full of leaders that truly share your average americans values (save nader, but he's no threat to the establishment) but these guys so blatantly contradict those values and undermine the rights and power of the people. I would venture to say that nearly all of us here are not poor, but it wouldn't take much to make us all poor. So why would people shelve their personal values and back these elite globalists in their subjugation of the world. Nothing sickens me more than watching these jokers (republican and democrat alike) espouse 'family' values while promoting policies that disempower people the world over, lower standards of living, workplace safety, environmental regulations, and limit or destroy human rights for a goddam percentage... The whole system wreaks to high heaven and if it was tolerable to watch all of this unfold in the 3rd world from the land of plenty, what makes folks think that here is any different and that the stage is not being set to exploit the the poor in much the same way.

Love your country not your goverment. End this 'unpatriotic act' madness.

/Mike
NYC

Unread postby jrob8503 » Fri 24 Sep 2004, 23:56:27

I think it will hinge on who is more likeable. This is America, issues don't matter. We are probably the dumbest fucking country on the planet when it comes to politics. I have never been more ashamed to be an American. This is the first election I am eligible to vote in, and I refuse to vote. Call me crazy, but I think the strongest statement you can make is being aware of the political scene and not voting. Previously, I had thought about just writing in some stupid name. If anything, I could escape those "if you don't vote you can't complain" people. I live in Illinois, so Kerry is a lock. It's really irrelevant. Now, I am not voting just to piss off all these lame celebrity campaigns trying to get the youth to vote. Really, it's disgusting. I just hate it. Hate it all.
jrob8503

Unread postby Specop_007 » Sat 25 Sep 2004, 00:01:09

I'm pretty sure that, thankfully, Bush will win. If I have to be led to the slaughter, I prefer it to be by Republicans instead of Dumbocrats.
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Soft_Landing » Sat 25 Sep 2004, 12:21:21

High Court? Faulty ballot boxes? The way people actually vote?

Take your pick... :D
Soft_Landing
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sat 25 Sep 2004, 12:57:47

Soft_Landing wrote:

High Court? Faulty ballot boxes? The way people actually vote?

Take your pick... :D

Yep! My thoughts, too. From my book:

It still remains unclear whether or not Bush will lose the 2004 election, steal it again with the help of the Supreme Court acting like a Republican Robin Hood, or be replaced via an impeachment effort after a win. Americans who will vote are narrowly divided, something along the lines of 46% or 47%. Neither party has to woo these voters. Liberals will have no problem voting for John F. Kerry, but a lot of conservatives will have to hold their nose when they pull the lever for George W. Bush. They are outraged with the horrendous federal deficit and Bush's imperialistic, hegemonistic foreign policy.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Return to Peak Oil Discussion