Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

President Trump's 2019-2020 predictions

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: President Trump's 2019-2020 predictions

Unread postby GHung » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 18:56:40

Anyone incapable of critical thinking can post pictures of crazy assholes and blame the "other side".

[turns off critical thinking mode]

[turns critical thinking mode back on]

I'm just wondering what they hope to accomplish. What's the implied end-game?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 19:10:39

Speech you hate is exactly the type of. speech the first Amendment protects.

Antifa has the position that if we don't like your speech we will hit you in the head with a bike lock and burn down your house. But yet there as are defenders of such violence as justified right here on this board.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 19:25:10

Cog wrote:Speech you hate is exactly the type of. speech the first Amendment protects.

Antifa has the position that if we don't like your speech we will hit you in the head with a bike lock and burn down your house. But yet there as are defenders of such violence as justified right here on this board.

If you think the left has a monopoly on such behavior, you're a bigot. If you think you'll convince the rest of us that the left has a monopoly on such behavior, you're an idiot.

So what do you propose we do, Coggoid?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 20:13:04

Monopoly no. But look around at college campuses, technology companies, and blue state cities. Almost invariably it is the left who is attempting to suppress speech which they disagree with.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 21:45:05

Antifa mob attacked two Hispanic US marines and beat them while yelling racial epithets at them

Hispanic-marines-assaulted-philadelphia-antifa

Racist mob violence is racist mob violence, no matter whether its antifa or some other group. An antifa mob jumped two innocent Hispanics and beat them in Philly. Two of the mob were identified, in spite of the fact some the cowards wore masks when they were beating the two Hispanic marines, and they are on trial now. I hope the racist antifa thugs who did this get the maximum prison sentence available.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 15 Jan 2019, 19:46:01

vtsnowedin wrote:I posted this elsewhere but it belongs here as well. :)

Here is a couple of thoughts for you.
Watching VP Pence in the oval office this week I got the impression he is just bidding his time.
Also it is not looking good for Trump at this point so lets suppose he is driven out by say next April. Pence becomes president and could serve the balance of Trumps term and be eligible for two more full terms as Trump will be past the halfway point of his term.
When the VP slot becomes vacant Pence can appoint a successor but they have to be confirmed by a majority of both houses (amendment 25 section 2.) and I can't think of anyone both sides would agree on with the next congresses makeup so the office might sit vacant for a while.
The Dems on a roll will turn their attention to Pence and will try to drive him out of office, most probably by tying him to some crime of Trump's.
If they drive him out with the VP slot vacant the next in line is the speaker of the house which will be Pelosi.
I'm sure she dreams of this and is working towards it with every action.

You heard it here first.
It is unlikely, but now at least possible, that Nancy Pelosi will be the next president of the United States. It will not happen by election in 2020, but by succession to the White House this year. Some of you might recall that after the near assassination of Ronald Reagan, chaos ensued in the White House. Secretary of State Alexander Haig told reporters, “Constitutionally, gentlemen, you have the president, the vice president and the secretary of state, in that order.” He added, “As for now, I am in control here, in the White House, pending the return of the vice president.” He was wrong.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house ... ted-states
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 15 Jan 2019, 22:29:37

vtsnowedin wrote:
It is unlikely, but now at least possible, that Nancy Pelosi will be the next president of the United States. It will not happen by election in 2020, but by succession to the White House this year.

Ok, I'll make a prediction too. It is unlikely, but at least possible that aardvarks will rule the earth. It will not happen by election in 2020, but by appointment via the Grand Horned One, leader of the purple unicorns which, IMO, rule the universe. :roll:

Predictions are fun. Anyone can play the game. :P
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 15 Jan 2019, 22:33:56

GHung wrote:
Cog wrote:Speech you hate is exactly the type of. speech the first Amendment protects.

If you think the left has a monopoly on such behavior, you're a bigot. If you think you'll convince the rest of us that the left has a monopoly on such behavior, you're an idiot.

So what do you propose we do, Coggoid?

How about both sides yell really loudly at the other and claim it's all the other's fault. Surely that will lead to rapid progress. Because that's worked so well so far. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 07:47:22

Doesn’t seem like the government shutdown ploy is working so well for Trump.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 07:58:17

It's working fine for me. It's revealing that Democrats care more for illegals than they do border security and American citizens.

The fact this country runs fine with 800k less federal workers is frosting on the cske.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 08:34:16

"The fact this country runs fine with 800k less federal workers is frosting on the cske."

Alternate fact with alternate spelling.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 08:43:01

What's even better is that after 30 days of shutdown Trump can do a RIF of non-essential personnel. Another win. I do not know if Trump will do that but I sure would.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 08:55:43

Cog wrote:What's even better is that after 30 days of shutdown Trump can do a RIF of non-essential personnel. Another win. I do not know if Trump will do that but I sure would.

Maybe he can close the IRS.

IRS Operations During the Appropriations Lapse
January 15, 2019 - Due to the lapse in appropriations, most IRS operations are closed during the shutdown. An IRS-wide furlough began on December 22, 2018, that affects many operations. During this period, the IRS reminds taxpayers that the underlying tax laws remain in effect, and all taxpayers should continue to meet their tax obligations as normal.

I'm sure you would love it. Your accountant? Not so much.

The Trump administration is taking thousands more government workers off furlough and making them work without pay

One of the notable recent elements of this partial government shutdown -- the longest in history -- is that the Trump administration keeps designating more and more of the federal government essential, or excepted from the furlough, ordering many thousands of workers back to the office to process tax returns, perform safety inspections and more -- all without pay.

The practical effect is that more government workers will be doing their jobs without their paychecks ......
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/politics ... index.html

I'm pretty sure Cog wouldn't show up, despite his adoration of our Commander-in-Chief.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 09:27:06

If the federal workers don't like the deal they can quit. More winning.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 10:13:07

Cog,

I presume you got that RIF idea from this article:
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... _trap.html

From what I have seen of DC bureaucracy the 80% number is pretty close. Now my experience is limited to observing WMATA, and then just assuming it works all around. I’ve worked for a number of transit agencies, WMATA was the worst, but others were similar. Damn near impossible to get anything done.

Last year elsewhere we were discussing USA weather service forecasts and why they were so bad. So bad in fact that the USAF was subscribing to European based forecasts. Insider information came out that the service is not using advanced algorithms because they might put analyst out of work and the union fought against them. I’ve personally seen this kind of thing over and over.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 10:25:45

You have four agencies that are over 90% non-essential. Let's start there. Yep that was the article I was thinking of.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 10:39:53

Cog,

To be fair it’s as bad, or nearly so, in big engineering organizatons. Private sector is little better than public.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 10:43:30

I know corporations have dead weight. But profit/loss generally extinguishes them over time. There is zero motivation for the federal government to shrink and a lot of motivation not to.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 16:27:12

Cog wrote: ......There is zero motivation for the federal government to shrink and a lot of motivation not to.

I'm sure you would be in favor of shrinking the Border Patrol, Customs, and the TSA. Wouldn't affect you much.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 17:05:08

I’m in favor of zeroing out TSA. They have found zero terrorists, they have a reputation for thievery, they got my laptop, they routinely let folks through who should not be, etc. Thousands Standing Around. It is Federal work fare.

What REALY pisses me off about them is when they stole my laptop they sent me to an online site for anclaims form. 1 page, front and back, written by some ghetto idiot who wanted to sound like a lawyer, the ghetto dialect came through. Hundreds of typos on the 2 pages. It would have be an F in a fourth grade class. Anyway first page was normal list baggage claim stuff, page 2, part 2 was for injuries sustained at the hands of TSA, page 2 part 3 was for Wringful Death Claims. I have no idea how the TSA imagines it can kill me but it scares me that they can. And if they do kill one of my loved ones sure as shit I ain’t gonna he filling out some stupid online form.

TSA? Zero it out!

Here is the current, cleaned up, copy of the form. It still has a death portion.

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files ... 15-508.pdf
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance