Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Perpetual Motion idea

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Please debunk my idea

Unread postby turmoil » Mon 22 Aug 2005, 19:22:17

Chris is on the right track, however. Adding an external energy source to the system would solve the problem. Pedals, for example. :)
"If you are a real seeker after truth, it's necessary that at least once in your life you doubt all things as far as possible"-Rene Descartes

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be the truth"-Sherlock Holmes
turmoil
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Devil » Tue 23 Aug 2005, 07:03:21

richardmmm wrote:a refridgerator has a COP > 2.0

That is not correct. It is true that you may be able to transfer more joules of heat from the cold to the hot side than the number of joules that are used to turn the compressor, but the heat out is strictly the total of the heat absorbed plus the power consumed. Put it this way, if you left the door of the fridge open, so that the coolth could escape into a closed room and the warmth could escape into the same room, then the room would get hotter, not cooler. The temp difference represents the overall lost energy. The laws of thermodynamics apply equally to heat pumps which only transfer heat from one place to another. They do NOT generate either coolth or warmth.

If, by your lights, you think that I think the world is flat, so be it. I think, in reality, you haven't a clue.
Devil
Devil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby skyemoor » Tue 23 Aug 2005, 08:23:33

Chris_B wrote:Ok, so heres my perpetual motion idea, it probly wont work but I figure I'll post it here so people can have some fun picking at it.

I had exactly the same idea when I was 12; I was going to build a go kart that went forever with a battery, motor, and alternator.

Little did I realize that the alternator required force to create electricity.

My neighbor (an engineer) helped me to understand.
skyemoor
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology