Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Just a little bit nervous

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Just a little bit nervous

Unread postby Pops » Sat 17 Dec 2011, 16:15:02

If you hadn't been registered since way back I would have banned you permanently instead of just for a day for spamming the dozen threads I just deleted.

Next time I'll delete your entire account.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sat 17 Dec 2011, 16:34:29

Back on topic:
Recent news claims that one out of every 45 American children are living at or below the poverty level. Well-hidden, is it not?
Extending that out means almost half of the families in the United States are in serious trouble.
Now, all those troops are coming home and will see what's happening with fresh eyes ... and, not a lot of prospects in the civilian world.
Also, approximately 30% of all US homes are in some stage of foreclosure, according to the recent news )sorry, no link-just kept running across this claim as we prepared to purchase a house).
If you have a yard, and you are not planting a garden, or fruit trees, or nut trees, etc., better get with the proverbial program!
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby rangerone314 » Sat 17 Dec 2011, 20:17:19

If I can keep on going steady for about 10 more years, I should have everything fully in place.

Started a small step in a new huge project: dug out 7 wheelbarrows full of mostly clay dirt near a stream covering 20 sqFt and am putting in 60 gal of compost, 7.6 cuFt of peat & 5 cuFt of sand... and am going to transplant some cattails in there. This 20 sqFt out of a planned 2,000 sqFt for cattails... will repeat this once every two weeks for the next 4 years.

Still nervous... just hope things can keep steady for at least 10 more years...
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Anvil » Sun 18 Dec 2011, 00:18:40

People around the world should not just be nervous but insanely scared of the 2 great depression coming in 2012. But as history shows humans blindly walk so convinced by gov propaganda into great disasters that strike suddenly but with much warning before hand. These sheeple raise there hands to the sky to beg to there fake god for help and are stuck by the laws of reality which means they will die for there stupid retarded religious views. God is not great in anything but the scale of the fake.

http://www.stockopedia.co.uk/content/the-second-great-depression-62738/
Anvil
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ObiWan » Sun 18 Dec 2011, 00:20:19

Ferretlover wrote:Back on topic:
Recent news claims that one out of every 45 American children are living at or below the poverty level. Well-hidden, is it not?

Apparently not. The question is more, can you believe the news?

FerretLover wrote:Extending that out means almost half of the families in the United States are in serious trouble.

Depends on where they live. Poverty in San Francisco and New York is probably $75G/year, versus poverty in the wilds of Kentucky might be $5G/year, or less if someone has a good still going.

FerretLover wrote:
If you have a yard, and you are not planting a garden, or fruit trees, or nut trees, etc., better get with the proverbial program!

If you have a mind for science, you should rush out and get a degree in geology, petroleum engineering, mining engineering maybe, and ride the wage inflation straight to the moon. Certainly if you make $1,000,000/year, you can afford to buy someone else's fruit, nuts or vegetables.
ObiWan
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Unread postby ObiWan » Sun 18 Dec 2011, 00:22:34

Anvil wrote:People around the world should not just be nervous but insanely scared of the 2 great depression coming in 2012.

Great Depression II was in 2008. So 2012 would be GD III.

Anvil wrote: But as history shows humans blindly walk so convinced by gov propaganda into great disasters that strike suddenly but with much warning before hand. These sheeple raise there hands to the sky to beg to there fake god for help and are stuck by the laws of reality which means they will die for there stupid retarded religious views. God is not great in anything but the scale of the fake.

Religious diatribe! Good deal. Find a way to translate it into politics on one side or the other, and go get 'em tiger!

http://www.stockopedia.co.uk/content/the-second-great-depression-62738/[/quote]
ObiWan
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Unread postby Anvil » Sun 18 Dec 2011, 00:25:10

You wont be laughing when you are having to eat your own shit to survive.
Anvil
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 18 Dec 2011, 03:22:42

Anvil wrote:You wont be laughing when you are having to eat your own shit to survive.

nobody has ever survived by eating their own shit. Well, I hope you will be the first one though. Keep us posted.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Anvil » Sun 18 Dec 2011, 05:33:15

I am sure ms produces enough propaganda for gullible shit bags to eat. This is probably not being the case they will all die finding out.
Anvil
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ObiWan » Sun 18 Dec 2011, 07:59:16

Anvil wrote:You wont be laughing when you are having to eat your own shit to survive.

Certainly that sounds bad. But there is no reason to think that is in our future any more than oil-nirvana is.
ObiWan
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 18 Dec 2011, 08:24:54

xerces wrote:A majority of my college friends are either laid off, unemployed, or employed with their backs to the wall here in NYC.

I'm in PA expanding the size of my parents' garden right now. The situation is becoming ever more grim and it's getting to me. There are homeless people all over the place in NYC and it's just getting worse. I have set aside a small fund to help support my aging parents if one of them gets laid off, but if inflation goes up significantly, I just don't know what will happen.

I figure if I can just finish expanding the backyard garden and put in a drip irrigation system in time, my folks can be much more self-sufficient in food. But sometimes I just think what would happen if my investments tanks further or business gets worse, or I fall ill. There would be no one to take care of them. :(

Anyone else in my boat?

Not your boat, but the same ocean.

I'm much more in the 'aging parent' catagory. Kids are only moderately 'peak aware' and don't have a clue on how to handle it. So, I worry about them.

I share your pessimism about gainful employment for the long term. For an explanation see Bertrand Russell "In praise of Idleness." Kind of dated, but you will get the general idea. http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

Good for ye' man.
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance