Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is no one proud of America?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Is no one proud of America?

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 15:57:04

Had the Germans won, I would be in front of a ditch with a gun to the back of my head, but I would not be alone.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 17:54:25

Heineken wrote:Nothing shall threaten that "American Way of Life"! (More like the Way of Death.)

He has had one day.

Henie, you and others will certainly call me deluded but I'm going to state a simple fact I doubt can be refuted,

we didn't get here in one step
and we won't get there in one step

All we (as individuals) can do is take steps one at a time.

the POTUS has little power over the steps you take.....
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 19:13:59

Pops wrote:we didn't get here in one step

Nobody disputes that.

The question in dispute is whether we will hit the bottom walking or running. From all appearances, we are speeding our way downward a whole lot faster than we made the trip up.

Insofar as a President's power to affect you is concerned, I can give you inumerable ways. Declare War and conscript your children and grandchildren. Sign executive orders permitting wiretapping of your phone and computer. Send the economy into a tailspin by deregulating the Banking industry. Etc, etc, etc.

I'm not precisely sure exactly what you are proud of Pops? Some mythological idea of democracy and freedom that never existed? An economy built on the virtual enslavement of the third world through the banking system? Political Leaders who ranged from the pathetically stupid to the criminally insane?

Every time I read your stuff, I feel like I'm reading a script from Ozzie and Harriet, or perhaps Ward Cleaver giving a Pep Talk to the Beaver. It just doesn't ring true anymore.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 19:41:53

He’s just reminiscing over that 57 Chevy. :razz:
vision-master

Unread postby Pops » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 20:06:13

ReverseEngineer wrote:The question in dispute is whether we will hit the bottom walking or running. From all appearances, we are speeding our way downward a whole lot faster than we made the trip up.

Insofar as a President's power to affect you is concerned, I can give you inumerable ways. Declare War and conscript your children and grandchildren. Sign executive orders permitting wiretapping of your phone and computer. Send the economy into a tailspin by deregulating the Banking industry. Etc, etc, etc.

I'm not precisely sure exactly what you are proud of Pops? Some mythological idea of democracy and freedom that never existed? An economy built on the virtual enslavement of the third world through the banking system? Political Leaders who ranged from the pathetically stupid to the criminally insane?

Every time I read your stuff, I feel like I'm reading a script from Ozzie and Harriet, or perhaps Ward Cleaver giving a Pep Talk to the Beaver. It just doesn't ring true anymore.

Reverse Engineer

I won't take the time to cut and past because I don't type fast - so in order:

Pride in one's country goes to whether one pulls or elects to not pull, as simple as that.

My boys are already in the military and doing fine.

You are right about usurping power. However I do believe in the pendulum swing.

You have your idea of preparing, it's running off to the woods, correct?
I have mine as well, it's more like:
Try to get by now till I can get by better then.

And finally, whether you get anything from my posts or not matters little if someone gets one little idea from one of us.

Don't you think?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Nickel » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 09:59:06

Pops wrote:Pride in one's country goes to whether one pulls or elects to not pull, as simple as that.

Well, it's kind of a pat answer, and an ambiguous one at that. What, exactly, constitutes "pulling"? If it's paying taxes to support the services you want instead of demanding cuts and expecting the services anyway, I'm with you. If it's putting on the boots and going off to kill people in other countries just because someone in office told you to, I'm not. For myself, I'm not proud that Canadian troops are in Afghanistan. I want them home, here, looking after our country, not destroying someone else's. Afghanistan and its people didn't attack Canada, or any of our friends, or any country at all. I don't think pride in my country, or in our way of life in the West, requires me to surrender my principles and pretend I think this is okay, when I don't. I shouldn't have to "pull" for something I think is wrong. Nobody should.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 10:51:37

Pops wrote:
Heineken wrote:Nothing shall threaten that "American Way of Life"! (More like the Way of Death.)

He has had one day.

Henie, you and others will certainly call me deluded but I'm going to state a simple fact I doubt can be refuted,

we didn't get here in one step

All we (as individuals) can do is take steps one at a time.

the POTUS has little power over the steps you take.....

I don't think you're deluded, Pops. Far from it.

My sense is that you're very solidly mentally healthy. Qualities like optimism and faith are signs of mental health. Happiness.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gampy » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 22:04:20

AlexdeLarge wrote:I am very proud to be American!! ( But then I know what its like to live elsewhere.)

You have been poisoned by listenening to the mainstream media trash America at every opportunity in order to demonize Bush and get their pigeon elected.

I think you are not completely sure of what makes democracy so wonderful.

Dissent, and free speech. Including America-bashing.

I would much prefer seeing anti-American sentiment, and fingerpointing at the state, rather than finger-pointing at individuals, and witch hunts.

It's one of the burdens of enjoying personal freedom.
Having to put up with other's freedoms.

Get used to it.

On topic:

I am very proud of the USA (Canadian here.) VERY PROUD.

It seems that it actually works. Lol. Go figure.

I wonder if Americans really grasp how much of a collective sigh was heard around the world when Obama was elected.

It really is an inspiration for many folks on this world. You may not like Obama, or have serious misgivings about his agenda, but you can't deny the fact that American democracy works just fine. It is messy, and sometimes ridiculous, but in the end, it really works.

The people spoke, and they were heard.
"Some people are like Slinky's. They don't serve a useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."
gampy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RdSnt » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 11:22:55

Actually, now that all the jazz and spin is gone from the election and Obama is in power, I'm holding my breath. How long will it be before the American people murder him, either figuratively or literally.
The hype and expectations heaped on this presidency border on panic and are a reflection of the last gasp of denial that the entire American public wish to hold onto.
When all that is blown away the reaction will be vicious.
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 11:27:19

RdSnt, that's an excellent insight.

The downside to unrealistic hope and expectations can be an almost vertical slope.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Voice_du_More » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 12:17:37

I am proud of what America has accomplished in the past, and would not rule out feeling that way about things we do in the future. But sucking dry the oil breast of the world and then insisting it was our right to do so is not going go down in my book as a noble act. We professed the Protestant work ethic and then handed ourselves over to greed, lust, and despicable pride that blinded our eyes to our real needs. So goes the empire, and I will not be among the many who mourn for her as the smoke of her burning rises up forever and ever (Revelation 17.)
Voice_du_More
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Voice_du_More » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 12:22:55

gampy wrote:
AlexdeLarge wrote:I am very proud to be American!! ( But then I know what its like to live elsewhere.)

You have been poisoned by listenening to the mainstream media trash America at every opportunity in order to demonize Bush and get their pigeon elected.

I think you are not completely sure of what makes democracy so wonderful.

Dissent, and free speech. Including America-bashing.

I would much prefer seeing anti-American sentiment, and fingerpointing at the state, rather than finger-pointing at individuals, and witch hunts.

It's one of the burdens of enjoying personal freedom.
Having to put up with other's freedoms.

Get used to it.

On topic:

I am very proud of the USA (Canadian here.) VERY PROUD.

It seems that it actually works. Lol. Go figure.

I wonder if Americans really grasp how much of a collective sigh was heard around the world when Obama was elected.

It really is an inspiration for many folks on this world. You may not like Obama, or have serious misgivings about his agenda, but you can't deny the fact that American democracy works just fine. It is messy, and sometimes ridiculous, but in the end, it really works.

The people spoke, and they were heard.

Ironically we find out now how many closet Bush supporters are on this site. And what exactly were they doing here all these years bashing bush and inciting others to do so? Let the truth be revealed.

I understand the sigh of relief, but I also understand that Obama will face more pressure than any in our history to preserve empire at all costs. He is a position not unlike a condemned criminal in ancient Rome, crucifixion awaits, except their is only One who can conquer and has conquered death. Politically for certain this President is going to be roasted alive. The intelligence community is already off the chain, they will continue to function as a shadow government no matter who is in office. If the American people ever realize it, the mirage of democracy in America will dissappear very quickly.
Voice_du_More
Peat
Peat

Previous

Return to North America Discussion