Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

I want it to happen

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

I want it to happen

Unread postby Sellis1012 » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 19:47:31

Am I wrong? I want PO to happen. It is like somebody is holding a gun to my head. I want them to shoot already!!! I don't think I can endure a slow, painful descent. I want all the cards on the table. No more BS. No more lying. No more of Bush saying we don't have any problems! And I'm a Republican!!! Let's get on with it already! What's wrong with me? I hate when the stock market has a good day, I hate when the price of oil goes down, I hate, I hate, I HATE that we are handing money out to every jackass company that lived high on the hog and is now running to Uncle Sam for a bail out!
I HATE THAT!!!!!!
Sellis1012
Wood
Wood

Re: I want it to happen

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 20:28:44

Welcome to the Dark Side.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Spanktron9 » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 20:35:54

+1

I work in Finance and dread rallies and crude pullbacks. I keep waiting for "the headline". Some undeniable collapse at Ghawar to require a real moment of reckoning.

Not gonna happen though. Just count each day as a gift to prep and trade dollars for hard goods.
Spanktron9
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Revi » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 20:37:45

I thought I wanted it to happen, but now that it is happening I am not so sure it's going to be fun at all. I think that the "medicine" of peak oil that will sweep away all the stupid things about modern society will also sweep away the economy. It isn't pretty.

A friend of mine just told me that he lost his job and that he doesn't know what he is going to do. It scared me a bit. He has two little girls to take care of. Peak Oil may not be that great at all. It may look more like the depression than we care to admit.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Bas » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 20:42:48

Sellis1012 wrote: What's wrong with me?

maybe you want to see your "beliefs" being confirmed. Or maybe you have some issues that would make you want to see the world crash and burn, you wouldn't be the only one here either I'd say. Either way, it's most likely not going to happen with a big bang but rather evolve relatively slowly like it has been for the past couple of years. Also, be careful what you wish for, it might not all be nearly as much "fun" as it may seem to be now.
Bas

Unread postby newmodelarmy » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 21:13:39

I do too. Especially after watching Earthlings and 11th Hour this weekend.

Earthlings

How else will all of this insanity end?
newmodelarmy
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 23:05:18

Spanktron9 wrote:+1

I work in Finance and dread rallies and crude pullbacks. I keep waiting for "the headline". Some undeniable collapse at Ghawar to require a real moment of reckoning.

Not gonna happen though. Just count each day as a gift to prep and trade dollars for hard goods.

Yes. Well said.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby alokin » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 23:18:23

I feel the same, but for other reasons. I think a crash of our industrial society is the only way we can save our climate and some of our natural resources.
I know we will be all horribly poor, have no toilet paper, not enough to eat, hard work etc etc., but we have two littlelies and I don't want them dying in a hothouse.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby joeltrout » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 23:26:16

Sellis1012 wrote:Am I wrong? I want PO to happen.

It sounds kinda selfish to me.

Of course I would like to say I told you so to all my friends that think I am wacko BUT not at the expense of everyone else.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ki11ercane » Sat 23 Aug 2008, 23:28:03

Sellis1012 wrote:Am I wrong? I want PO to happen. It is like somebody is holding a gun to my head. I want them to shoot already!!! I don't think I can endure a slow, painful descent. I want all the cards on the table. No more BS. No more lying. No more of Bush saying we don't have any problems! And I'm a Republican!!! Let's get on with it already! What's wrong with me? I hate when the stock market has a good day, I hate when the price of oil goes down, I hate, I hate, I HATE that we are handing money out to every jackass company that lived high on the hog and is now running to Uncle Sam for a bail out!
I HATE THAT!!!!!!

http://peakoil.com/fortopic44356-0-asc-15.html

Read my post!

Thank you, and good night!
ki11ercane
Coal
Coal

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 01:47:55

Sellis1012 wrote:Am I wrong? I want PO to happen. It is like somebody is holding a gun to my head. I want them to shoot already!!! I don't think I can endure a slow, painful descent. I want all the cards on the table. No more BS. No more lying. No more of Bush saying we don't have any problems! And I'm a Republican!!! Let's get on with it already! What's wrong with me? I hate when the stock market has a good day, I hate when the price of oil goes down, I hate, I hate, I HATE that we are handing money out to every jackass company that lived high on the hog and is now running to Uncle Sam for a bail out!
I HATE THAT!!!!!!

Be careful what you wish for. In this case you'll probably get it!
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MadScientist » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 02:15:42

the faster it happens the less chance we will have to experience "the road". Oprah's book club. 2007 pulitzer prize. being made into a major motion picture. ZOMBIES. humans have eaten every other speck on the planet and are now eating each other BECAUSE NOTHING ELSE IS LEFT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"The future power is manpower"
MadScientist
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Sellis1012 » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 03:13:41

Spanktron9 wrote:+1

I fully anticipate the day where I go to CNBC and the headline reads "CRASH!"
Sellis1012
Wood
Wood

Unread postby vilemerchant » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 04:04:12

alokin wrote:I feel the same, but for other reasons. I think a crash of our industrial society is the only way we can save our climate and some of our natural resources.
I know we will be all horribly poor, have no toilet paper, not enough to eat, hard work etc etc., but we have two littlelies and I don't want them dying in a hothouse.

I'll have toilet paper. I've been buying it by the truckload!
vilemerchant
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cashmere » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 05:05:28

vilemerchant wrote:
alokin wrote:I feel the same, but for other reasons. I think a crash of our industrial society is the only way we can save our climate and some of our natural resources.

I'll have toilet paper. I've been buying it by the truckload!

I'm thinking about it!

On a brutally direct note, with no scatological intent, a better solution may be to change your diet to limit the need for toilet paper.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 05:23:39

I don't WANT it to happen, but I know it WILL happen. Since I know it will happen, I'd rather see it happen sooner than later. The longer it takes to happen, the more damage gets done of course.

I am morally against a slow crash, because in a slow crash scenario the rich hold their power and don't suffer near so much as the poor do. In a fast crash, the rich are brought to their knees rapidly, the vast majority of them end up as poor as a typical welfare recipient.

Poor folks can deal with deprivation, its what a poor person lives with always. Rich folks go belly up when confronted with real survival quandaries. Its my great hope that it all crashes so fast it takes the Hedge Funds down and takes the governments down as well. The poor folks ALREADY suffer, it won;t be much worse for them. It will be REAL bad for those used to flying around in Private Jets though. Sorry, no Jet Fuel available! Landed at LaGuardia, no fuel, take your chances with the Zombies. Good Luck.

The faster it crashes, the more the rich will suffer. The Republican nincompoops who sold our country down the toilet deserve to Burn in Everlasting Torment in the Fires of Hell, and the faster the economic system goes toast, the more likely they suffer the same deprivations as they have forced on the poor throught the oil era. Scum Sucking Bottom Feeders every last one of them, who deserve nothing better than Brimstone and Torment, for All Eternity.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby doodlebug2 » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 07:44:25

This is an interesting post/topic.

I too feel glee when the finance talkies say oil went up. But like another poster said, "I don't want PO to hapen, but it will happen"

The american people still think everything is hunky dory, as do all the politicians. It is comical to listen to them.

What I really find funny is that as we know oil will get more expensive, magazines and internet sites, and car adds are advertising the new Camaro and Challenger coming out in 2009/2010. Like gas is going to be cheap. I actually saw an advertisement at a marina boat dealer near me saying buy a bigger boat, gas is sure to come down. hahahahahahahahah
doodlebug2
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MD » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 09:15:29

Sellis1012 wrote:... I want PO to happen. It is like somebody is holding a gun to my head. I want them to shoot already!!! I don't think I can endure a slow, painful descent...

You are definitely confused. The "Peak Oil" you are looking for doesn't exist.

"Peak Oil" is not some apocalyptic event, it's just the peak of oil production. It will likely play out over many years.

Do you really think this apocalyptic event you so desire will release you from your hatred of life? I've got news for you my friend, you haven't a clue.

You should seek counselling.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Sellis1012 » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 11:21:02

MD wrote:
Sellis1012 wrote:... I want PO to happen. It is like somebody is holding a gun to my head. I want them to shoot already!!! I don't think I can endure a slow, painful descent.
You are definitely confused. The "Peak Oil" you are looking for doesn't exist. "Peak Oil" is not some apocalyptic event, it's just the peak of oil production. It will likely play out over many years.
Do you really think this apocalyptic event you so desire will release you from your hatred of life? I've got news for you my friend, you haven't a clue. You should seek counseling.

Thank you for being a voice of reason in a sea of doom. My original post has everything to do with the anticipation of PO the economic event, not peak oil, the definition. Nowhere should you be reading between the lines that I hate my life. My post was triggered by spending the day helping a family. They had a big house, he got laid off. The house got foreclosed on. They moved into an apartment and he took the only job he could find that wouldn't require his wife quitting her job at IAMs and his son switching schools. The job was 45 minutes away. Then gas prices went up, and now they are getting evicted from their apartment. He has taken a job as a manager at Burger King. So, PO the event is beginning. The peak oil I am looking for exists. And yes, it is going to be slow and painful. Call me sick, but I just would rather get it over with. You surprise me. You've been on the boards since 2005 and yet your response was so incredibly ignorant.
Sellis1012
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Sys1 » Sun 24 Aug 2008, 11:53:52

I would prefer a slow crash than a fast one.
Look : It's preferable to be aboard a sinking Titanic than beeing a passenger of one of the planes who hit the world trade center.
Slow crash means that you have more time. Time to prepare, time to enjoy current life and your family.
Slow crash also means that societies will try to adapt, even if solutions will look like "1984" or "Soylent green".

The worst thing is a fast crash. Then sure it's world war 3 or civil war or starving in the dark or going back to caverns.
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Medical Issues Forum