Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hand crank generator

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Hand crank generator

Unread postby BILL_THA_PHARMACIZT » Sat 07 May 2005, 18:28:48

being that I am a laymen and not a scientist please exuse my brash and archaic tone...anyway: whats the potential for designing really simple hand crank electricity generator using the so called (near) zero-loss conductivity nano tech shit that has been suposedly developed.

and im not looking for sombody to parot the shit on matts site about nano tech not being a savior ...I'm not looking this society to be saved.....I mean in simple terms used for an individual.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Thu 23 Jul 2009, 22:15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified title.
people are going to persue whatever they percieve to be in their own interests and thats always changing because everything in life is in constant motion
BILL_THA_PHARMACIZT
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ArimoDave » Sat 07 May 2005, 19:21:40

I'm not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination. But here's my take on the question.

Since an electic motor being operated in reverse (generator or alternator) is about 90 - 95% efficient, and the motor at the other end is also 90 - 95%, I would expect that a near zero loss motor being used as a generator and motor, would give a gain in energy output of 10 - 20%. Also, there is some loss in transmission lines that may be improved a bit.

Since you are talking about a hand-cranked generator, the best (perfect world) would be getting out at the motor exactly what you put in at the crank. Advantageous when you can't connect the crank directly to the device you want to turn, or are running an electical appliance like a lightbulb.

Hope this helps.

ArimoDave
I know exactly where we are;
. . . .
don't know where we're going, but no use in being late.
(Mathew Quigley [Tom Selleck])
ArimoDave
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby RonMN » Sat 07 May 2005, 22:52:45

All i've ever seen is a hand cranked radio & flashlight.

But lemme tell ya...i've seen a 5 HP engine running on gasoline & all it will do is give ya enough electricity to run the fridge (and maybe 1 lightbulb)
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Devil » Sun 08 May 2005, 08:22:00

Your question isn't stupid, but I'm not commenting on its author. :o :o :lol: :lol: :P :P

Put it this, your intake is, say, 2500 kcal/day. This is equivalent to 2.91 kWh which, averaged over 24 hours, is 121 watts, and that gives you no time to eat your calories, sleep, have sex, perform your natural functions, pump blood around your body etc. An athlete may have 500 W output to run 100 metres, because he is able to store the needed energy, but he in knackered thereafter for a few hours. A trained endurance athlete can maintain 200 W over a few hours, on condition he has a glucose and water intake. An ordinary bloke may be able to maintain 50 W over an hour's brisk walking on the level. Over 8 hours, it is doubtful whether he could exceed 30 W. So, cranking your generator may produce 240 Wh in a shift and he would probably have to up his food intake by 10% to do so. This would provide enough light, while he was cranking, to read a book by, provided he used an ultra-efficient bulb and nothing more. Now think how much energy was dispensed in growing your 2750 kcal/day, getting it to your home, cooking it etc.

Ask yourself whether this is positive. And you don't need to be a scientist to use commonsense. :shock:
Devil
Devil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Energy Technology