Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Half of All Children Will Be Autistic by 2025

Re: Half of All Children Will Be Autistic by 2025

Unread postby careinke » Sun 04 Jan 2015, 06:20:26

Farmlad, that was an amazing (and very scary video)! Thanks for posting.

For those of you who did not watch, I suggest you do. This guy walks into a mostly hostile crowd, and completely rips apart GMOs and Glyphosate's role in agriculture.

He covers:

a. It's detrimental effect to the farmers finances.
b. Increases in crop disease.
c. Nutritional degradation of crops.
d. Reduction of mineral absorption by crops even a year after application.
e. The build up of formaldehyde in the crops.
f. Detrimental effects of feeding GMO crops to farm animal including cows, pigs, sheep, and chickens.
g. Connection to CCD.
h. Detrimental effect on the environment.
I. Health impact on humans.

All of this backed up by pictures and peer-reviewed scientific studies. After I watched this, I am amazed we are still using round up at all. We are basically killing ourselves while simultaneously reducing our carrying capacity. I think I've found the OP, and he are us. 8O

I would really like Pops to watch this, and give his opinion, since he advocated that RR crops might be good for humanity.

I think I will also forward this video to our sharecropper cousin in Oregon. He has a PHD in Agro Economics from Purdue, and also taught there for a while just like the speaker.

I wish they had continued taping the question and answer part of the presentation.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sun 04 Jan 2015, 08:06:31

farmlad wrote:For anyone seriously wanting to learn more about Roundup. I can recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42Iyh-MOXA
Bio: Dr. Don M. Huber
Dr. Huber is Professor Emeritus of Plant Pathology at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. He received B.S. and M.S. degrees from the University of Idaho (1957, 1959), a Ph-D from Michigan State University (1963), and is a graduate of the US Army Command & General Staff College and Industrial College of the Armed Forces. He was Cereal Pathologist at the University of Idaho for 8 years before joining the Department of Botany & Plant Pathology at Purdue University in 1971....

Huber has been claiming to have discovered a new super pathogen that is somehow caused by RoundUp and capable of infecting anything, but he is also claiming this global threat is his personal property and will not share info. This nice man seems to be in his 80s and gone totally batshit, like the others.

http://youtu.be/9luJnDfThQM

I think the pattern is that if someone is batshit crazy, all they have to do is start yelling about "RoundUp!!!!" and the money just rolls in.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sun 04 Jan 2015, 15:06:04

PrestonSturges wrote:
farmlad wrote:For anyone seriously wanting to learn more about Roundup. I can recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42Iyh-MOXA
Dr. Huber is Professor Emeritus of Plant Pathology at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. He received B.S. and M.S. degrees from the University of Idaho (1957, 1959), a Ph-D from Michigan State University (1963), and is a graduate of the US Army Command & General Staff College and Industrial College of the Armed Forces. He was Cereal Pathologist at the University of Idaho for 8 years before joining the Department of Botany & Plant Pathology at Purdue University in 1971....

Huber has been claiming to have discovered a new super pathogen that is somehow caused by RoundUp and capable of infecting anything, but he is also claiming this global threat is his personal property and will not share info. This nice man seems to be in his 80s and gone totally batshit, like the others.

http://youtu.be/9luJnDfThQM

I think the pattern is that if someone is batshit crazy, all they have to do is start yelling about "RoundUp!!!!" and the money just rolls in.

Are all the peer reviewed studies he uses, also made up by bats#it crazy people? Could you point me to ANY long term studies on round up that show it is safe?
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sun 04 Jan 2015, 15:54:55

Sorry, nobody gets to claim they have discovered an apocalyptic pathogen and then shrug off further questions. People that would fall for that are what's called a "patsy," or a "mark," or "rube," or "sap," or "stooge," or "pigeon".... well you get the idea.
Last edited by PrestonSturges on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 17:45:13, edited 1 time in total.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sun 04 Jan 2015, 18:36:54

PrestonSturges wrote:Sorry, nobody gets to claim they have discovered an apocalyptic pathogen and then shrug off further questions. People that would fall for that are what's called a "patsy," or a "mark," or "rube," or "sap," or "stooge," or "pigeon".... well you get the idea.

The "pathogen" is still being investigated by the sounds of the video. A hypothesis, that has not been tested. I'm pretty sure that is how science is supposed to work. If we didn't do that we would still be certain (and wrong) that ulcers are caused by stress.

I was more concerned with the other aspects of his lecture.

So far your argument is based on name calling. I expected better of you.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sun 04 Jan 2015, 19:11:41

careinke wrote:So far your argument is based on name calling. I expected better of you.
When an argument degenerates into a debate about who is "nicer," the argument was lost years ago.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dissident » Mon 05 Jan 2015, 17:32:36

Dr. Huber is Professor Emeritus of Plant Pathology at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. He received B.S. and M.S. degrees from the University of Idaho (1957, 1959), a Ph-D from Michigan State University (1963), and is a graduate of the US Army Command & General Staff College and Industrial College of the Armed Forces. He was Cereal Pathologist at the University of Idaho for 8 years before joining the Department of Botany & Plant Pathology at Purdue University in 1971.
His agricultural research the past 50 years has focused on the epidemiology and control of soilborne plant pathogens with emphasis on microbial ecology, cultural and biological controls, and physiology of hostparasite relationships. Research also includes nitrogen metabolism, micronutrient physiology, inhibition of nitrification, and nutrient-disease interactions.
In addition to his academic positions and research, Dr. Huber has had several concurrent careers including 14 years as a professional labor-relations mediator with 7 years service on the Indiana Education Employment Relations Board as a Mediatory/Fact Finder/Conciliator, and served 12 years on two school boards with recognition as a Master Board Member from the Indiana School Board Association and Honesty in Public Service Award from Taxpayers United For Fairness. He retired in 1995 as Associate Director of the Armed Forces Medical Intelligence Center (Colonel) after 41+ years of active and reserve military service.
He has received various awards for his scientific accomplishments and contributions to government. Dr. Huber is an active scientific reviewer; international research cooperator with projects in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Denmark, Germany, Japan, Mexico, and Russia; and a consultant to academia, industry, and government. He is author or co-author of over 300 journal articles, Experiment Station Bulletins, research presentations, book chapters and review articles; 3 books, and 84 special invited publications. He is internationally recognized for his expertise in the development of nitrification inhibitors to improve the efficiency of N fertilizers, interactions of the form of nitrogen, manganese and other nutrients in disease, herbicide-nutrient-disease interactions, techniques for rapid microbial identification, and cultural control of plant diseases.
His greatest accomplishment has been his marriage to Paula Huber and their 11 children and 35 grandchildren. Dr. Huber currently serves as APS coordinator of the USDA National Plant Disease Recovery System (NPDRS)

Very nice presentation. Glyphosate is a strong chelator and antibiotic. It preferentially kills soil bacteria conducive to plant growth (it does the same in our gut, BTW). Interesting how it increases the amount of water required to grow a crop by a factor of two for typical application levels.

Those side by side photos of crops with and without glyphosate application and with different levels of application pretty much tell you everything you need to know.

Anyone claiming that glyphosate is benign is 1) an industry shill, 2) ignorant and should shut up or 3) troll.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 22:59:10

dissident wrote:Very nice presentation. Glyphosate is a strong chelator and antibiotic.
So is EDTA, which is used in foods and also for "chelation therapy," which is another form of woo

http://www.angioprim.com/

Serious Soution to a Serious Problem - Our Liquid Oral Chelation
EDTA is the primary component used in a process called Chelation. EDTA Chelation Therapy has been in practice for over 60 years and has been proven to eliminate heavy metals (lead, mercury, iron, etc.) from the body. The issue with heavy metals is that they accumulate causing many health problems that can impact literally every major organ in your body.
In addition to eliminating heavy metals, EDTA Chelation has also been shown to remove mineral deposits, particularly calcium. Over time when these calcium deposits remain in the body, they build up and harden, resulting in decreased circulation. Blood supplies nutrients and oxygen to all critical body areas (organs, nerves, muscles and tissues), so there is no doubt how important it is to have proper blood flow.
Great News from the Completed NIH Study
Chelation therapy, an unproven alternative medicine in the treatment for heart disease, modestly reduced cardiovascular events for adults aged 50 and older who had suffered a prior heart attack, according to new National Institutes of Health-supported research.

Results from the chelation arm of the Trial to Assess Chelation Therapy (TACT), which will be published in the March 27 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, showed that infusions of a form of chelation therapy using disodium ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid (EDTA) reduced cardiovascular events by 18 percent compared to a placebo treatment. Investigators stated that more research is needed before considering routine use of chelation therapy for all heart attack patients. The EDTA-based chelation solution also contained high doses of vitamin C, B-vitamins, and other components.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 23:19:35

And just look at these shocking pictures from Japan! Clearly Roundup is to blame!

Ooops, no it's from the 1950s in the small fishing town of Minamata on Kyushu island where chemical company Chisso Corp had for years dumped mercury into a bay, poisoning fish and unsuspecting residents.

But still, RoundUp!!!, right?
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 04:09:05

PrestonSturges wrote:And just look at these shocking pictures from Japan! Clearly Roundup is to blame!

Ooops, no it's from the 1950s in the small fishing town of Minamata on Kyushu island where chemical company Chisso Corp had for years dumped mercury into a bay, poisoning fish and unsuspecting residents.

But still, RoundUp!!!, right?

Are you saying we can only have ONE poison in our environment? Well, if true, than you and pstar need to have a discussion, because he claims DDT was it, so your silly claim of mercury is obviously wrong!
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dissident » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 09:55:34

Also note the implicit appeal to Hollywood horror to justify whether a chemical is bad or not. If it does not lead to instant megadeath then it must be OK. Tell that to yourself over and over when you are dealing with cancer, genius.

It's like all the oxygen has been sucked out of the room that is this thread. I need to get out and get some air.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 11:49:51

careinke wrote:I would really like Pops to watch this, and give his opinion, since he advocated that RR crops might be good for humanity.

Not surprising to see roundup as the cause of Mankind's demise pop up in a thread about the autism plague.

What I've said is that RR is beneficial in as much as it reduces the use of petroleum for tillage and truly dangerous herbicides proven to be poisons - petroleum of course needing no wacky professor and his imaginary bug for proof of it's health and environmental effects.

http://thefarmerslife.com/biotechnology ... -alarmist/
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 12:12:58

Round up and its use in industrial agriculture with GMO crops is the perfect metaphor of modern agriculture and thus becomes demonized beyond its actual toxicity.

I was at a get together recently when I was back in the US where some of my friends starting ranting about Round Up and how evil Monsanto is. The crap they were spewing as facts was breathtaking.

I had to just remain quiet as I thought of the pastures here at Mount Totumas we didn't reforest where we maintain a few head of cattle and how after 5 years of trying to control a few noxious weeds we applied glyphosate this past rainy season to bring them under control. Just a little squirt surgically applied on each weed, not broadcasted on the whole pasture.

Since the 70's I can remember every couple of years we chose another corporation to demonize.... awhile back it was Nestle, then Exon and McDonalds, now Monsanto

Monsanto is now the latest monster to torment our minds as we try to reduce this immensely complex story of human overshoot down to blaming a few evil players.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 16:53:39

Ibon wrote:I had to just remain quiet as I thought of the pastures here at Mount Totumas we didn't reforest where we maintain a few head of cattle and how after 5 years of trying to control a few noxious weeds we applied glyphosate this past rainy season to bring them under control. Just a little squirt surgically applied on each weed, not broadcasted on the whole pasture.

Huge difference than industrial ag where everything is drenched.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 03:20:22

Nice article on cancer that shows that a good bit of cancer is not environmental or inherited after all, it's the result of random somatic (not inherited) mutations as cells divide. This may mean we have wasted a lot of time looking for the mythical super carcinogens that may not even exist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/healt ... ience&_r=0
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 10:26:50

Off topic:
Cut a hole in a plastic coffee can, take the nozzle off of your sprayer and stick the end through the hole, reattach the nozzle. Now you can spray your poison without it drifting.

Or use a Q-tip to dab poison on the offending organism, I did this with tree seedlings that sprouted through my plastic mulch.

Apologies
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 11:40:34

pstarr wrote:
Monsanto is now the latest monster to torment our minds as we try to reduce this immensely complex story of human overshoot down to blaming a few evil players.

Ibon you and me have long memories. Is it a curse?

Sometimes it is a curse, sometimes it acts as a ballast so that you are not as susceptible to be taken for a ride......

Wisdom coincides with obsolescence...... such a tragedy.

How would our current dilemma be if we lived as long as those redwood trees?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate