Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Carly Fiorina: and various constitutional discussions

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Carly Fiorina

Unread postby Cog » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 16:21:24

Tanada wrote:
Cog wrote:
Tanada wrote:
MD wrote:As things stand at this moment, I am almost ready to support her candidacy.

Sanders comes in a close second.

Yeah, I know. Opposite positions at so many levels.

Carly has the leadership skills, Sanders has the ideology.

Do we need ideologues, or do we need strong leaders?

No matter what your ideology without leadership skill it is a moot point. What we need now is actual leadership, because as we fall off the plateau a lot of hard choices will have to be made and decisive actions taken. I have little to no confidence in most of the candidates to display decisive behavior when the crunch comes.

So you want a dictator who has no regard for the US Constitution? That sounds just great.

I hate to have to be the one to break it to you Cog, but we have not followed the actual Constitution for about a hundred years, and as much as I hate that nothing I can do will change it.

Progressives hate the Constitution and have spent the last century deconstructing it bit by bit whenever and wherever they could get away with it. The US Congress no longer even says Boo when the President decides to do something unconstitutional, they just collect their cut and posture for the camera's.

We live in the Authoritarian Age, the time of Constitutional restraint has passed. I didn't expect to get here so soon, but we have because it did. This is not exactly a new thought for me, I wrote about it on here at least as far back as 2008. I don't like what my country has become, but I accept it is reality.
post836182.html

Then we resort to what our Founders intended for us to do. As explained by one of the them:

God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. the people cannot be all, & always, well informed. the past which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive; if they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.-- T. Jefferson
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 16:26:00

pstarr wrote:Keep saying it Cog. And then read up on the Milgram experiment yikes

So when the drone pilot goes home in the evening, after a nice day of droning Americans, and finds his wife's and kid's heads mounted on a stick, you don't think that will give him some pause on killing other Americans. :-D
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 16:26:32

pstarr wrote:Cog you must be a patriot?

Of course, aren't you?

My loyalty is to the US Constitution, not to any party, nor any particular government, nor to any person.
Last edited by Cog on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 16:29:17, edited 1 time in total.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 16:28:33

I would venture that Cog believes in traditional conservative values such as letting people run their own life, and balanced budgets. Unfortunately, neither of the major political parties represent this viewpoint anymore. It's much the same in Canada where the Conservative Party of Canada (which currently hold a majority in the House of Commons), a marriage of the Reform Party and Progressive Conservative Party is really quite unrecognizable from the Progressive Conservative Party I voted for for most of my life. I can't vote for them because they no longer support the traditional conservative values I believe in.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cog » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 16:34:24

pstarr wrote:
Cog wrote:
pstarr wrote:Keep saying it Cog. And then read up on the Milgram experiment yikes

So when the drone pilot goes home in the evening, after a nice day of droning Americans, and finds his wife's and kid's heads mounted on a stick, you don't think that will give him some pause on killing other Americans. :-D

Read Milgram

Changes nothing. I know full well what humans are capable of doing. But you need to understand that a military occupation of the USA by either foreign or domestic troops is impossible. You never confront the pointy end of the stick in an insurgency. An army marches on its belly. You remove the logistical chain, the solider is just another guy with a rifle.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 17:04:21

I think you guys are off topic.

The Fiorina-Clinton matchup has been talked about with glee for some time.

If Carly Fiorina gains any traction from her barbed attacks on Hillary Clinton, the right-wing cartoons will practically draw themselves: Carly and Hillary in a teeth-baring cat fight, Carly’s claws like a tiger’s, HRC’s eyes as red as a Demon Sheep’s, their hair seriously mussed, and Benghazi burning in the background.

As one man tweeted, “Let the Cat Fight begin!! Fiorina will tear Hillary to shreds.”

“Fiorina vs Hillary in 2016,” someone else raved. Why? “Because men love a cat fight.”

It is indeed a male dream, especially males who are Republican presidential candidates (and who isn’t?).
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 17:48:07

pstarr wrote:Of course I do. But the constitution must be interpreted by legal scholars. A very important group of those legal scholars just decided that said constitution legalizes and defends gay marriage.

Jeez Cog, you walked right into that. How does it feel to be amputated just below your man pride. Game. Set. Point. lol

It's a pretty simple document, unless you are trying to bend for your own self interest. Your a smart man, you should be able to understand it.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 18:50:48

careinke wrote:
pstarr wrote:Of course I do. But the constitution must be interpreted by legal scholars. A very important group of those legal scholars just decided that said constitution legalizes and defends gay marriage.

Jeez Cog, you walked right into that. How does it feel to be amputated just below your man pride. Game. Set. Point. lol

It's a pretty simple document, unless you are trying to bend for your own self interest. Your a smart man, you should be able to understand it.

So maybe this will spur a breakoff of this off topic stuff to a constitutional discussion.

The constitution may be simple but laws and situations aren't always. Can Congress pass a law banning civilians from bearing certain types of arms ? Well, of course they can and have. Is it consistent with the constitution? That's up to the SCOTUS. Have the bans on civilians possessing chemical and biological arms ever been adjudicated in the court? I don't know.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 20:41:08

dinopello wrote:That's up to the SCOTUS. Have the bans on civilians possessing chemical and biological arms ever been adjudicated in the court? I don't know.

Case law on gun control, goes back centuries:

There was a 1939 ruling that upheld gun control regarding the size of "shotguns."

Basically, gun control has swung back and forth and I'm not a lawyer nor expert on it but the state of things and rules as they are now has all been hashed out by the courts. If more conservative judges are appointed, then conceivably the rules drift further right, if you get more liberal judges, they will drift further left.

Really, the SCOTUS and courts have always been a legislative review branch. That's their function. The law is a set of words that can't cover every conceivable situation, and may conflict with other laws, and may conflict with other parts of the constitution, or may just be -- in the mind of the justices -- not addressing some pressing common good need in society.

I think the system works. If the executive and legislative branches are failing, then the judicial can step in and be the wise gray haired men to do the right thing about something. Or, if the Court is off the rails and wrecking things, then one or both of the other branches can assert themselves.

So that's what a court does, it rules and explains its reasoning in an "opinion." Is it "legislating from the bench?" Yes, in a way. But that's the nature of courts, and it's been that way for over a thousand years now going all the way back to English judges and common law.

The bottom line about it, the 2nd amendment says:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So what does that actually mean, in objective honest plain english? It's saying:

* The only reason for citizens to have a right to arms, is just that they need to know how to use a gun in case called upon by the GOVERNMENT for defense. That's it. It doesn't say so that folks have a constitutional right to hunt, or just enjoy it for sporting, or self defense, nothin'. The only reason the state's right is somewhat limited in regulation, is just so that the people can know how to shoot a gun in case they need to be drafted.

* It specifically says, "WELL REGULATED" militia. That's very specific, plain english. Well regulated means "well regulated," that means it has a lot of regulations on it.

So that's what the second amendment says. The farthest right conservatives may not like how courts interpret it, but the constitution also set up those courts as the interpreter of the constitution.

If the People would like a much more specific gun law amendment, to prevent broad judicial interpretation, then the People can get a movement going and elect reps to congress to pass an amendment and then state reps to approve the amendment.

That's how our system works, branches of government and checks and balances. Legislative, judicial, executive, and the people. It's a system designed for incremental change and designed to make sweeping, fast change difficult. It actually is, an inherently "small c" conservative governmental system.

(although the judicial branch actually does have "fast sweeping change" power more than the other two branches. But it usually works out for the best. On things like gay marriage, they'll finally decide after it's clear which way the wind is blowing. So what's better, really? Having 40 years of state law battles on marriage and a divided union, or just have the court rule on the darn thing once it's become clear in society where things are headed?

That's how it's always worked, when the Court is at its best. They're just a bit AHEAD of things and progressive, but only when the winds of change are blowing that way and you start to get a problem of half the states doing one thing and then the other half doing something else and then those laws are conflicting with the commerce clause and such, so then the SCOTUS has to step in between the states and make a ruling.)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 21:26:01

The Heller decision reaffirmed that the Second Amendment is an individual right to bear arms and not a collective one. It is also obvious when you read the Federalist papers, the founders thought it was an individual right as well.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 30295.html
What Heller Says

The Heller case involved a challenge to the District of Columbia's ban on handguns. For the first time in nearly 70 years, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on the meaning of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as it relates to gun control laws.

The Second Amendment provides that "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

For many years, scholars and anti-gun proponents have argued that the Second Amendment provides a right to own guns only in connection with service in a militia, and that this right should not extend to private individuals. That argument was roundly rejected by the Supreme Court. In an opinion authored by Justice Antonin Scalia, the Court held that the right to own a gun is not connected with service in a militia; rather, it is a personal right to own a firearm for "traditionally lawful purposes" such as self-defense within the home
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 22:42:05

Among the Congress' powers enumerated by the Constitution is to call out the militia to suppress insurrections. We need the Second Amendment so the rest of us can be called out to kill Tea Baggers if need be.

The Congress shall have Power To ...provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions....
ARTICLE I, SECTION 8, CLAUSE 15
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 23:07:08

I have found you can usually cure a progressive's fear of guns by taking them shooting with you. Amazing transformations are possible.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 17 Sep 2015, 23:28:55

Sixstrings wrote:
dinopello wrote:That's up to the SCOTUS. Have the bans on civilians possessing chemical and biological arms ever been adjudicated in the court? I don't know.

Case law on gun control, goes back centuries:

There was a 1939 ruling that upheld gun control regarding the size of "shotguns."

Basically, gun control has swung back and forth and I'm not a lawyer nor expert on it but the state of things and rules as they are now has all been hashed out by the courts. If more conservative judges are appointed, then conceivably the rules drift further right, if you get more liberal judges, they will drift further left.

Really, the SCOTUS and courts have always been a legislative review branch. That's their function. The law is a set of words that can't cover every conceivable situation, and may conflict with other laws, and may conflict with other parts of the constitution, or may just be -- in the mind of the justices -- not addressing some pressing common good need in society.

I think the system works. If the executive and legislative branches are failing, then the judicial can step in and be the wise gray haired men to do the right thing about something. Or, if the Court is off the rails and wrecking things, then one or both of the other branches can assert themselves.

So that's what a court does, it rules and explains its reasoning in an "opinion." Is it "legislating from the bench?" Yes, in a way. But that's the nature of courts, and it's been that way for over a thousand years now going all the way back to English judges and common law.

The bottom line about it, the 2nd amendment says:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So what does that actually mean, in objective honest plain english? It's saying:

* The only reason for citizens to have a right to arms, is just that they need to know how to use a gun in case called upon by the GOVERNMENT for defense. That's it. It doesn't say so that folks have a constitutional right to hunt, or just enjoy it for sporting, or self defense, nothin'. The only reason the state's right is somewhat limited in regulation, is just so that the people can know how to shoot a gun in case they need to be drafted.

* It specifically says, "WELL REGULATED" militia. That's very specific, plain english. Well regulated means "well regulated," that means it has a lot of regulations on it.

So that's what the second amendment says. The farthest right conservatives may not like how courts interpret it, but the constitution also set up those courts as the interpreter of the constitution.

If the People would like a much more specific gun law amendment, to prevent broad judicial interpretation, then the People can get a movement going and elect reps to congress to pass an amendment and then state reps to approve the amendment.

That's how our system works, branches of government and checks and balances. Legislative, judicial, executive, and the people. It's a system designed for incremental change and designed to make sweeping, fast change difficult. It actually is, an inherently "small c" conservative governmental system.

(although the judicial branch actually does have "fast sweeping change" power more than the other two branches. But it usually works out for the best. On things like gay marriage, they'll finally decide after it's clear which way the wind is blowing. So what's better, really? Having 40 years of state law battles on marriage and a divided union, or just have the court rule on the darn thing once it's become clear in society where things are headed?

That's how it's always worked, when the Court is at its best. They're just a bit AHEAD of things and progressive, but only when the winds of change are blowing that way and you start to get a problem of half the states doing one thing and then the other half doing something else and then those laws are conflicting with the commerce clause and such, so then the SCOTUS has to step in between the states and make a ruling.)

6, that is the best bit of writing by you I can recall. Clear, elaborate but concise, easy to read, dispassionate. Kudos ;)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby MD » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 03:17:20

dinopello wrote:I think you guys are off topic.

The Fiorina-Clinton matchup has been talked about with glee for some time.

If Carly Fiorina gains any traction from her barbed attacks on Hillary Clinton, the right-wing cartoons will practically draw themselves: Carly and Hillary in a teeth-baring cat fight, Carly’s claws like a tiger’s, HRC’s eyes as red as a Demon Sheep’s, their hair seriously mussed, and Benghazi burning in the background.

As one man tweeted, “Let the Cat Fight begin!! Fiorina will tear Hillary to shreds.”

“Fiorina vs Hillary in 2016,” someone else raved. Why? “Because men love a cat fight.”

It is indeed a male dream, especially males who are Republican presidential candidates (and who isn’t?).

just a tad! :P

Oh well, it's too far gone to bother with splitting it off. I guess I should just change the title and go with it.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 05:17:54

By the way, Carly Fiorina is very pro-Second Amendment. Hillary, on the other hand, wants to ban guns of all types.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion