Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Alberta Tar Sands Pt. 2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: "reserves are virtually unlimited" say top ban

Unread postby crapattack » Thu 26 Jan 2006, 09:51:07

Oslo wrote:
If you read the whole article it gives a ridculously benign impression about oil prices, oils supplies and their economic impact. Are these guys told to lie or are they just thick?

It is so confusing how all these mainstream "experts" seem so unconcerned.

Thick. They fail to see through the dense fog of their own incomprehension. Not imaging that oil supply could every be in any real jeapordy they fail to see that it is. It's like one of those tacky image puzzles from the early nineties. Stare real hard and you see the dolphins..or not. They're not dumb, they're blind.
"Ninety percent of everything is crap."
-Theodore Sturgeon

Stay low and run in a random pattern.

List of Civilian Nuclear Accidents
crapattack
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby grabby » Thu 26 Jan 2006, 11:09:43

For a while there I was worried we were using up our oil.
Last edited by grabby on Sun 29 Jan 2006, 12:49:16, edited 1 time in total.
grabby
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Etalon » Thu 26 Jan 2006, 14:03:00

The positive feedback for oil shale isnt THAT harsh. If nuke stations are used to extract the oil (which is the plan I believe) then that positive feedback is pretty low. Oil shale extraction is expensive, but doesnt rise double in cost when oil prices double, thats just a silly approximation.

I belive oil shale is economically viable, (so long as natural gas doesnt get really expensive, which it will (maybe eletrolysis of water to get the hydrogen?)).

It being economically viable doesnt mean itll save us though, as the production rates will not be enough.
Etalon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Raxozanne » Thu 26 Jan 2006, 15:02:09

The EROEI for the sands is nowhere near as good as oil but it will help round off the peak for Canada and the USA, this said of course it won't be of any use in the face of an expected global demand of 120 million barrels per day mid century.
Hello, my name is Rax. I live in the Amazon jungle with a bunch of women. We are super eco feminists and our favourite passtimes are dangling men by their ankles and discussing peak oil. - apparently
Raxozanne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 01:43:51

"Shale oil is the energy of the future...and always will be." Any one know who first said it?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Free » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 02:18:51

When I read the headline I thought this would be about Dollar reserves...would make much more sense.

By the way, what's the difference between "virtually" and "literally" in English? You always gotta look at the small print with them kinds of guys...
"Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave."
Karl Kraus
Free
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Schneider » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 02:33:03

MD wrote:If I were a young person living in North America, I would seriously consider moving to Alberta. The local economy will likely prosper well into the future.

I don't think so..

Just wait 8 to 10 years,when the supply of natural gaz used to extract oil from the tar sands will be (mostly)depleted !

Natural Gaz is in decline in North America,remember !?

Schneider
French-Canadian
(Schneider's Books For The Future)
(Schneider's Big 5 Basic Advice For The Newcomers)
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=vL7Jo_1Z3Y8]Free Hugs!!![/
Schneider
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nero » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 03:46:18

Yes the oil sands are going to be a big deal, they already are a big deal. They're making money right now at Fort McMurray. Heck they were making money up there when oil was in the 20s. If you dismiss the long term potential of the oil sands you're probably got too much invested in your personal doomer fetish and are not thinking objectively about the problem.

Now in the short term you can make an argument that their production will not have a significant impact but in the long term it is a significant source of energy.
Biofuels: The "What else we got to burn?" answer to peak oil.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby crapattack » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 04:12:46

Nero:

If you dismiss the long term potential of the oil sands you're probably got too much invested in your personal doomer fetish and are not thinking objectively about the problem.

Take a look at this, http://www.technologyreview.com/NanoTec ... 18,p1.html, posted by DigitalCubano on http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic16102.html, and say that. The amount of fresh water and NG used is staggering let alone the environmental impacts. Currently the tar sands produce 220,000 bpd, and they are going all out to try to reach 350,000 bpd by 2008. CAEP estimates the tar sands can produce, 2 million per day by 2010, according to http://www.energybulletin.net/3458.html. The world consumes 82million bpd. Given these numbers tar sands is hardly the "significant source of energy" you describe even if they reach their target in 2010. Considering how difficult it is to extract and process, extremelly expensive monetarily and environmentally as well. One thing for sure is it's making investors lots of money.
"Ninety percent of everything is crap."
-Theodore Sturgeon

Stay low and run in a random pattern.

List of Civilian Nuclear Accidents
crapattack
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Tar Sands A Total Waste

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Tue 02 Dec 2008, 22:59:34

POAlex wrote:At what oil price do the tar sands become unprofitable?

Alex

My WAG is $85 a barrel.

here's some more info:
The returns on extracting oil from tar sands is approximately 3 barrels of oil for every 2 consumed.

EROEI of 1.5

Tar Sands are about to get OWNED!!! as in going out of business for awhile....

Tar Sands info
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Alberta Tar Sands Pt. 2

Unread postby Blacksmith » Wed 03 Dec 2008, 18:27:46

ColossalContrarian wrote:

Alex

My WAG is $85 a barrel.

here's some more info:
The returns on extracting oil from tar sands is approximately 3 barrels of oil for every 2 consumed.

EROEI of 1.5

Tar Sands info

Natural Gas was $6.36US today, at a ratio of 1:5, that's $31.80US per barrel of oil equivalent, oil is selling for $46.85US, difference of $15.05US. The way to hurt these people is to use more natural gas.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Wed 03 Dec 2008, 22:03:11

Blacksmith wrote:
ColossalContrarian wrote:

Alex

My WAG is $85 a barrel.

here's some more info:

EROEI of 1.5

Tar Sands info

Natural Gas was $6.36US today, at a ratio of 1:5, that's $31.80US per barrel of oil equivalent, oil is selling for $46.85US, difference of $15.05US. The way to hurt these people is to use more natural gas.

Your calculation doesn't even factor in things like maintenance and wages. $15/bbl is at best, wildly optimistic.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KevO » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 04:24:52

Alex

It's losing $$$$$$ now and big time.
Tar sands are about to become a thing, and a permanent thing, of the past
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 04:50:56

Good! but will they be forced to clean up the mess they'd already made? or will they just walk away saying they'll be back at some point so theres no point in totally fixing everything back to a pristine state.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Blacksmith » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 10:41:01

Dreamtwister wrote:Your calculation doesn't even factor in things like maintenance and wages. $15/bbl is at best, wildly optimistic.

Then you are saying an EROEI of 1.5 is incorrect.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby harrybuckman » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 11:19:13

At today's natural gas and oil prices. The cost to extract and produce for a company like suncor is around 30-32 $/bbl (the cost is around 35$/bbl at high oil and gas prices). So at current prices they still make 15$/bbl. At a dailly production of 230 000 bbls it puts a daily profit of almost 3.5 million dollars.

I don't know about you but if I was making 3.5 million every 24 hrs, I don't think I would close up shop just yet.

The oil sand are here to stay for as long as we all live, because that oil is already found and developed.
harrybuckman
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 11:30:41

I can't seem to find a difinitive source for the eroei of tar sands but I found another source:

"Over the past few years, I have seen a lot of speculation about the EROEI of tar sands (also known by the more marketable term, 'oil sands'). I had seen estimates ranging from as low as 1.5/1 up to 4 or 5/1. My own suspicion has been that the number was higher than that, and I once did a back of the envelope based on some industry energy usage numbers that put the number at about 8/1 (for just the oil production step)."

link
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Blacksmith » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 12:09:26

One of my neighbours works for Syncrude, as of last week all expansion has been suspended and the only crews kept on will be maintenance and those crews will be reduced.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 13:36:25

Blacksmith wrote:
Dreamtwister wrote:Your calculation doesn't even factor in things like maintenance and wages. $15/bbl is at best, wildly optimistic.

Then you are saying an EROEI of 1.5 is incorrect.

No, I'm saying you didn't factor in all of the dollar costs.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion