Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

3rd world, take the bull by the horns

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: 3rd world, take the bull by the horns

Unread postby SoothSayer » Wed 14 Jun 2006, 04:04:14

Gridlock wrote:Babel fish on Alta vista came out with an interesting translation of Ibon's time in Latin America :-/

I see what you mean. Check out the highlighted line. I suppose everyone has to have a hobby ...

Dice of which the Avatar that You have this indicating Spain like pais where You this located, I answer to him in the apropriada language! Work two years in a huerfano of children in Mexico. Also work almost 15 anuses in Latin America and vivi in the Philippines, Thailand, Switzerland and Canada (obvious these ultimos two are not of the third world). In my joventud and Asia travels with knapsack to Africa almost 2 years. In scholastic year 2004-2005 it removes my two daughters from the school and we went to India, Nepal, Bhutan and Thailand for a year of home schooling. Now I am in Seatlle by the children but my present work this in Thailand where I am desarollando a property of almost 10 hectares in an island selling houses down a ecologico concept. When this project finishes our goal is to return from vivr in Latin America but todavia we are not safe in as pais. Candidates are; Nicaragua, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile. Our dream is to do a ecologico and educative foundation near a national park working with the local communities. I hope that the world-wide situation does not fall so deep and meirda before!
Technology will save us!
SoothSayer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kevincarter » Fri 16 Jun 2006, 06:21:10

Candidates are Nicaragua, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia Chile.

Are you sure about those? Maybe Chile can be fine (up in the Bio Bio far away from cities and working together with those that as for today don't need nor want electricity, oil, etc..), but Nicaragua? Panamà? Ecuador? Perú (maybe in the mountains too)? Bolivia? It sounds like a terrifying nightmare post peak. Specially with the army going nuts if things get ugly and you hearing that beautiful eh gringo! from everyone, specially during scarcity.
kevincarter
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 16 Jun 2006, 12:25:57

kevincarter wrote:Are you sure about those? Maybe Chile can be fine (up in the Bio Bio far away from cities and working together with those that as for today don't need nor want electricity, oil, etc..), but Nicaragua? Panamà? Ecuador? Perú (maybe in the mountains too)? Bolivia? It sounds like a terrifying nightmare post peak. Specially with the army going nuts if things get ugly and you hearing that beautiful eh gringo! from everyone, specially during scarcity.

Having worked over 15 years in Latin America and travelling extensively I'm no stranger to the endemic problems of the region. In contrast to Asia Latin America actually has much sparser human population, very arable land and intact local economies. There is a huge difference between what you read about and the reality of local communities there. A complete mad max scenario would be hell there of course but I would still prefer to be there than Miami or Phoenix or Las Vegas or anywhere within 100 miles of those locations if we would collapse to that degree. There are no guarantees in this life.

I took my family through Nepal last year in the middle of their conflict with their king and the Maoists. I lived in the Phillipines in 1984-84 when the revolution happened that ousted Marcos. I had to travel frequenctly to Peru in 1990-91 working on a project in Lima at the heighth of the sendero luminoso bombings in the city. I've always come away with this strange disconnect about the difference of being in these places in times of crisis and contrasting it with how the media in the west would present it. It was never the hell or chaos one would suspect reading about it from afar.

If you speak the language, integrate well and support local communities you do build yourself a certain security living in these countries. But there are no guarantees anywhere.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics