Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

12 hour work days to reduce energy usage

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: 12 hour work days to reduce energy usage

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 12 May 2008, 18:30:03

FiniteQuantity wrote:now we will browse a newspaper or other web site during working hours.

Or peakoil.com ;)
mos6507

Unread postby TanksOnEmpty » Mon 26 May 2008, 20:24:12

I work in a hospital lab. We have a crew that works four 10 hr shifts M-Th and another crew that works three 12 hr shifts F-Sun. I work the three 12 hrs & I love it. I've been doing it for three years, now. After working 8 hr shifts five days a week most of my life, I now have so much time at home, I just about feel semi-retired.
TanksOnEmpty
Wood
Wood

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 27 May 2008, 17:20:33

PeakOiler wrote:(...)
I can't telecommute since I work in a lab, and it's impossible for me to analyze samples that are sent to the lab, not my house.(...)

:shock: that explains your avatar :)
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby k_semler » Wed 28 May 2008, 04:17:04

vision-master wrote:Why must we all work 40+ hours a week in the 1st place?

You don't have to work 40 a week if you don't want to. I have survived working 28 hour work weeks at 9.90/hr. You just don't travel absolutely anywhere except to the grocery store every 2-3 weeks, sign up for direct deposit for your paychecks, and walk to work every day. Now, I'm working 40 hour work weeks at my new job, and I'm making $300/mo more then I was at my old job. So yes, you don't have to work 40 if you don't want to. You just have to drastically cut your lifestyle, (if you aren't at work (or at the store getting supplies for the next 2-3 weeks), you're at home and going absolutely nowhere unless you walk there, and wherever you're going is free).
Here Lies the United States Of America.

July 04, 1776 - June 23 2005

Epitaph: "The Experiment Is Over."

Rest In Peace.

Eminent Domain Was The Murderer.
k_semler
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PonyBoy78 » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 03:49:29

When graduating from radiography school, I had been guaranteed a job at the hospital where I currently work. My boss-to-be called me into his office and asked me about what hours I'd like.

"Weekend overnight. Three twelves."

He looked at me like I was nuts. But I'm still here, still getting a huge premium for the hours, still having super-long weekends. What am I doing with my weekends? I go grocery shopping on the way home, arrive home, and then I don't leave. No complaints here.
PonyBoy78
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ReducedToZero » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 03:53:39

Funny topic because....

Utah goes to 4-day workweek to save energy
Starting next month, thousands of government employees will only work 4 days per week, in an effort aimed at reducing energy costs and commuters' gasoline expenses.

-CNN
ReducedToZero
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 12:02:29

I don't, and I don't advocate it, personally. I work 2-4 hrs per day for money, more if there's tight deadline, sometimes up to 8 hrs per day.

I think we might all consider working less for money, and spending our extra time working to support ourselves through gardening, etc. Or working for trade or barter.
Ludi

Unread postby Byron100 » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 12:11:39

Ludi wrote:

I don't, and I don't advocate it, personally. I work 2-4 hrs per day for money, more if there's tight deadline, sometimes up to 8 hrs per day.

I think we might all consider working less for money, and spending our extra time working to support ourselves through gardening, etc. Or working for trade or barter.

I wholeheartedly agree! :-D

I'd love to live in a society in which people work less for money and more for barter, trade, etc.

In the last Depression, we very nearly went to a 30-hour week here in the US...can you imagine how much better off we'd be now if that came to be? We only have one life to live here on this Earth...I'd rather for us to spend a bit more time living and less time "working," most of which is totally unrelated to the essentials of life (food, shelter, clothing, etc).
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...
...and the meek shall inherit the Earth!
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby joelcolorado » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 12:19:15

I am on call 24-7 and 365 days a year. Work lots of 80 hour weeks. Wife a doctor and on 84 hour weeks now. We are worn out honestly. We want to live.

She carries 3 phones and a pager and I carry phone and pager too. What a life we have made for ourselves.

County govts in kansas are also going to 4 day weeks. Schools talked of that years ago and I think they will see the light soon. Dont have to heat and cool those blgds. I think its funny, we never had air conditioning in school when I went. Whats with that? We drank water and sweated. Then went home and played outside til bedtime. Now they go home and sit in front of the tv with games etc. No kids outside anymore that I see.

But the push to shorter days is coming except in our industries. THeyare 24 hour a day jobs and will always be. Not enough qualified ppl to do this work so you get hooked into doing it because you are responsible and feel guilty.

The next generation of ppl they are hiring for our jobs tho, wont work like that and move on. My job, there is 8,000 jobs nationwide and we cannot even find a person to go to work now. We have a huge number of men who are close to retirement and the company cannot figure out what they are going to do to staff their trains.
joelcolorado
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency