Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Would the U.S Destroy M.E Oil ?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Would the U.S Destroy M.E Oil ?

Unread postby Battle_Scarred_Galactico » Tue 16 May 2006, 04:32:28

I had a thought today. When America can no longer project any meaningfull military power into the M.E, would it rather destroy the oil than let others have it and rise to superpowerdom.

If I were them, I'd rather blow it....
---
Battle_Scarred_Galactico
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Would the U.S Destroy M.E Oil ?

Unread postby Doly » Tue 16 May 2006, 05:02:51

Battle_Scarred_Galactico wrote:When America can no longer project any meaningfull military power into the M.E, would it rather destroy the oil than let others have it and rise to superpowerdom.

That would hurt America more than anybody else. After all, they're the country most dependent on oil.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Battle_Scarred_Galactico » Tue 16 May 2006, 05:17:33

I'm aware of that fact, but picture an America in total decline with no hope of recovery (not hard), wouldn't they rather deny anyone else the chance to rise, I would.
---
Battle_Scarred_Galactico
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mekrob » Tue 16 May 2006, 07:14:01

How is that even possible? Could the fields even ignite like a powder keg or do they just burn like in Kuwait during the Gulf War? If they just burn, then it would take too long to burn it all up as somehow water would get diverted to put out the flames. And if American forces were to stay to make sure it was all (or mostly) gone, then they woulda just pumped it anyway.
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 16 May 2006, 07:22:01

mekrob wrote:How is that even possible? Could the fields even ignite like a powder keg or do they just burn like in Kuwait during the Gulf War? If they just burn, then it would take too long to burn it all up as somehow water would get diverted to put out the flames. And if American forces were to stay to make sure it was all (or mostly) gone, then they woulda just pumped it anyway.

You would have a heck of a time destroying the oil itself, but if you destroyed the well tops, storage facillities, pipelines, terminals and a buch of tankers you would destroy output for a decade while everything was repaired.

We are on the knife's edge, any competent military in the area could do the same thing, like the old cold war cartoon, Uncle Sam and the Soviets standing knee deep in gasoline each threatening to light a match to kill the other.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Battle_Scarred_Galactico » Tue 16 May 2006, 07:41:37

Exactly, and that's with conventional weapons...
---
Battle_Scarred_Galactico
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics