Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why did we make our economy and agriculture oil dependent?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Why did we make our economy and agriculture oil dependen

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 17:37:30

Pops wrote:
Shaved Monkey wrote:During WW11 the UK was the most productive agriculturally it has ever been.

Stuff like that always jumps out at me. It does your cause no good to quote silly, inaccurate "facts" when a couple clicks show yields are 2-3 times higher now:

Your graph is post war and based on tonnes per hectare
Keep in mind this wasnt based on tonnes per hectare but growing extra stuff on land that was previously used for grazing.

My interpretation of the the quote came from the show,going from memory (probably towards the end of the last episode,I couldnt find a transcript)

But I did find this

In just three years from I938-39 to I94Z-42 gross output of. British agriculture increased by two-thirds

http://www.bahs.org.uk/AGHR/AGHR33.pdf

The show also pointed out England grew flax for the first time as it was all imported from Eastern Europe prior to the war to make linen and canvas.
This would percentage wise have gone from 0% to make up a number %
Dont know if England grows flax now?
They massively decreased their meat production but stepped up their dairy,veg and grain (which I imagine would have included flax seed and oil for the first time).
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Why did we make our economy and agriculture oil dependen

Unread postby JohnnyOnTheFarm » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 20:41:18

DesuMaiden wrote:Why were we foolish enough to make our economy and agriculture totally and utterly dependent on oil?

You imply we did it on purpose, as opposed to fossil fuels being wonderful commodities for power generation and whatnot, and folks just deciding to USE them.

Certainly any industry that generates the power necessary to run modern human civilization would be a valuable part of...everything...and fossil fuels are one of those things.
JohnnyOnTheFarm
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion