Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why climate change opponents are failing

Re: Why climate change opponents are failing

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 13:29:30

Now today we have Obama personally "ratifying" the treaty--something that is unconstitutional, by the way

So convenient to bash him for doing nothing and then when he does something, claim it's illegal. Anything to box him into a corner and call him a failure.

What chance of "legal" ratification do you see with a republican-controlled senate?

If you're going to bash Obama, try to do a better job hiding the fact that you shift the goalposts in such a way that there's really nothing he can do to satisfy you. Really, it's more about your hatred than it is about him or any concise policy debate.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 13:47:11

Alaska is a petro-state with its stash of CO2-fueled rainy-day funds, which Planty brags about. Planty cares nothing about attributing fair blame for AGW. Obama is just a convenient scapegoat.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 15:40:28

Wow, their mutual disgust at Plants Obama bashing has nearly brought en and pstarr into agreement on something.

I'm seeing plant in a new light now, as something of a miracle worker!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P wrote: "eenie"

Cool. Can I be 'meanie'???

That leaves open positions for 'minie' and 'mo'

Any takers?? :-D :-D :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 16:34:26

Just to be fair, I'm in agreement with Planty every time he chimes in that we're in a glut. He tends to do most of that posting off the news articles on the homepage rather than in the forum proper. On that front I'm totally in sync with him.

There actually was a time when I was in sync with PStarr, back when the site had cornies like shorty around. But then PStarr got on the "Oh, I've got it now. Peak oil caused the credit crisis. Yeah yeah, that's it, that's the ticket!!!" bandwagon and it was all downhill from there.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 20:13:15

dohboi wrote:
P wrote: "eenie"

Cool. Can I be 'meanie'???

That leaves open positions for 'minie' and 'mo'

Any takers?? :-D :-D :-D

Please no.

One eenie is enough.

Just stay yourself Dohboi. Your posts and your acerbic wit are highly valued here.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 23:42:32

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 23:52:14

dohboi wrote:"Just stay yourself Dohboi"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBQdf2ZlDR0

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right back at ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ItFW11Qsg

:mrgreen:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 23:57:15

Biologist warns climate change to wipe out half of life forms on earth by 2050!

half-forms-life-earth-will-be-gone-2050-biologist-warns-climate-instability

Whats wrong with this guy? Doesn't he know Obama is in China right now taking credit saving the world from global warming by personally ratifying the Paris Accord that he personally negotiated last December? :lol:

Obama saving the world from global warming.........not
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 02:59:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTD8g-x1tjA

(maybe we should just get a hotel room!! :-D :-D :-D :-D )
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dissident » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 09:33:51

pstarr wrote:More pop psychology from Dr. Ennui.

Planty, I used to assume your hatred for Obama with simple racism. Now I understand that it's really a highly nuanced racism. Obama's only acting on the mandate that stupid auto-greedy Americans have assigned to him. So why not pick on the white guys. They own the cars. Your God Reagan instituted the many-decades Republican war against the environment. He who believed trees caused pollution.

But they do cause pollution :) If one defines pollution as natural aerosol formation that contributes to cloud formation and life giving rain. The religion of the US right is that the world is an infinite reservoir of resources and infinite sink for waste. They live in an Adam Smith era timewarp where it is always frontier development. Anything that contradicts their religion is heresy that is to be burned at the stake. These clowns will need to die en masse from the climate change they fervently believe is not happening before their sabotage of all rational plans of action can stop.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 17:45:16

pstarr wrote: I read the one sentence summary from IPCC-5 where it says (and I paraphrase) WE ARE ALL NOT GOING TO DIE!

So in addition to being a racist you are a climate change denier?

Gosh...you are a pretty depraved individual.

Do you have any other character flaws you want to confess? :lol:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 18:00:31

pstarr wrote: regarding climate change: i am not doomer....have you turned all doomie?

I've always been highly concerned about climate change. I was appointed a US science delegate, and travelled at Federal expense to a COP meeting in Amsterdam way back in the 90s. Representing the US science community was way cool, and the free travel even better, but even back then it was clear climate disaster was coming.

Once I started posting here, one of the things that really put me off about Obama was his disastrous failure at the 2009 Copenhagen UN COP meeting to sign a binding treaty to reduce CO2 emissions as he had promised in the 2008 campaign. And then came with his failure in 2010 to support a federal carbon tax. Now we've got the sham Paris Accords that don't actually reduce CO2 emissions.

We're in deep trouble with climate change.

--------------

Peter----I drove south on highway 1 from Ashland to Crescent City to Eureka to Mendocino to Point Reyes to San Francisco after the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland this year. You've got yourself a really really spectacular piece of the world there in Humboldt. country. CHEERS!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kanon » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 09:41:23

Plantagenet wrote:
ennui2 wrote:... getting the republicans to support a carbon tax.

The fiasco in Washington state is another clear example of the Ds saying they are climate change opponents (or on the side "rightness and good" as you phrased it in in your charmingly childish way) when in actuality the Ds all too often act by only passing ineffectual or poorly designed laws while blocking more meaningful legislation that would actually limit carbon emissions.

Another classic example of this are the ethanol biofuels that the Obama administration loves so much. Another study has just shown the biofuels actually result in the release of more CO2 then normal fuels---but for purely political reasons the Ds ignore the science and continue to back biofuels, thereby making climate change worse.

biofuels-bad-environment

Cheers!

Yes, the D's offer republicanism without the guilt. Posers to the last, the D party is where environmentalists and progressives go to die.

The social/economic pecking order will be upset, with many alterations needed, if we deal with climate change. The banking cartel cannot handle it. Many energy users would have to adapt or replace their machines and equipment for renewable energy. There are many reasons why climate change is more difficult than other issues. Politicians devoted to special interests and the establishment are another difficulty.
kanon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 17:52:17

Dear All;

I decided to look up the Washington state carbon tax initiative. It appears that the big Ds problem with the ballot measure is mathematical.

Supporters of an initiative to create a carbon tax in Washington are facing backlash over estimates the measure — advertised as “revenue neutral” — would actually cut state tax collections by $900 million over four years.

This reason was also cited by the Sierra Club for opposing the measure, (along with a lack of subsidies for alternative energy). For me the second reason is silly, but the first one is a real problem. The backers appear to have decided that the subsidy for Boeing was a clerical error.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/carbon-tax-initiative-flawed-needs-legislative-fix-say-backers/

But the legislature has no plans to fix things and the Rs are demanding an end to all other environmental regulation as their price. and fixing government with these ballot things does not have a good history.

The tax isn't all that large anyway.

A carbon tax is a tax on fossil fuels based on the amount of carbon dioxide produced when those fossil fuels are burned. A $25 carbon tax would raise the price of gasoline by about 25 cents per gallon and the price of coal-fired electricity by about 2.5 cents per kilowatt-hour. Electricity from natural gas is cleaner by half and so would face a tax rate only half as large. Renewables like hydro, wind, and solar are carbon-free and would pay no tax. This will help make clean energy even more appealing than it is today

I think the tax on gas in New York State is near that and it hasn't stopped anybody from driving. A 10% rise in gas taxes would at best result in a 10% reduction in driving, probably less. The electric one may have more legs as it makes PV even more attractive.
kuidaskassikaeb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 18:22:22

Thanks for your efforts, Peter!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate