Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why all of a sudden Americans love small cars?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Why all of a sudden Americans love small cars?

Unread postby dissident » Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:50:55

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
Pops wrote:The evidence is pretty clear that kids are leading the change and it's a change in overall lifestyle.

The same holds true in Poland to a certain degree, however the best looking females are stirring clear of these *kids*.

No boyfriend (or 25 years older boyfriend) is better than herbivore boyfriend.

Looks like female instincts are right on target. There has been millions of years of evolution to instill some tolerance thresholds for rejects. Too bad evolution hasn't progressed enough to weed out reject IQs that dominate humanity.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:16:06

Chev Aveo get's 33 mpg highway with 103 hp, that's disgusting.

ppl that purchase those small cheap car's deserve outdated tech.

vision-master

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:41:25

My neighbor says he bought a small car (mini-cooper) for his wife to drive to whole foods. That's because the parking spaces and drive aisles are so narrow there and it was frustrating her. My neighbor seems to be a bazillionaire though and maybe they get a new car for each season (they are new to the neighborhood), although they seem to prefer Mercedes. After he quized me on where there is to park for all the restaurants in the neighborhood I mentioned the idea of walking to some of these places rather than cursing the minimalist parking spaces. He seemed to consider it as if it hadn't occured to him. I seem to go through this ever few years with a new neighbor who just moved in from some exurban mansion - after their kids went off to college usually.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 03 Dec 2012, 13:09:59

Pent up demand, that's why Americans are buying smaller cars. We are fond in the modern world of enjoying our systems of manufacture and marketing, but those systems rely on a clientele. Catering to that clientele has left out what has quietly become a huge section of the populace. Look no further than the election results of 2012 to see my point. There were so many Obama bumper stickers going about under the radar while the media reported from its usual comfortable position. The bumper sticker voters went unnoticed because it was like they were invisible. The election was framed in a Tea Party mindset while the real creative destruction went unnoticed. They became visible when something they believed in was available for them to put their weight behind.

In the same way a lot of destruction has had to take place in the car industry in order to shake it from its perch, where it thought Americans only wanted one kind of big car which they incidentally could take the highest amount of profit from. In order to keep selling the industry has, in these times, had to seek new customers. The pent up demand could not be contained in the old framework.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 03 Dec 2012, 14:08:33

EnergyUnlimited wrote:The same holds true in Poland to a certain degree, however the best looking females are stirring clear of these *kids*.

I know you put a lot of stock in this, but a survey of my neighborhood seems to indicate that mediocre looking guys and mediocre looking gals seem to hook up just as well and have litters just like the beautiful people (tm) on tv seem to.

No boyfriend (or 25 years older boyfriend) is better than herbivore boyfriend.

This one I really don't get; what do older guys see in the barely-legal girls? All I see is "pain in the xxx".

Also, don't quite get "herbivore"??? Does spending less on a vehicle cause t-bone's to be unaffordable? I know my bike is more expensive than most bikes, but still its quite a bit cheaper than a car, but I don't notice a difference at the grocery store when I go by bike... Eastern European humor maybe? Or I could be overly dense on this.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 03 Dec 2012, 15:43:37

AgentR11 wrote:I know you put a lot of stock in this, but a survey of my neighborhood seems to indicate that mediocre looking guys and mediocre looking gals seem to hook up just as well and have litters just like the beautiful people (tm) on tv seem to.

Somehow I could not accept bottom or even medium shelf female (as measured by physical attractiveness) as my wife.
Made considerable effort to make sure that one I got is rather from higher shelf.

BTW,
Physical beauty and good health tend to go in couple.

This one I really don't get; what do older guys see in the barely-legal girls? All I see is "pain in the xxx".

Just as you say.
Girls in their 20-ties are most attractive.

Also, don't quite get "herbivore"??? Does spending less on a vehicle cause t-bone's to be unaffordable?

*Herbivore* is a guy who doesn't earn much (if at all), eat mainly junk food because cannot afford any better, drive crap car (if at all) and cannot afford to buy his own house/flat and neither is in position to inherit one in foreseeable future.
Most of men in generation which is now joining labor market (eg Y generation) are such *herbivores*, unluckily for them.

In general better looking girls above 20 or so are invariably avoiding this type of individuals, at least in my country.

I know my bike is more expensive than most bikes, but still its quite a bit cheaper than a car, but I don't notice a difference at the grocery store when I go by bike... Eastern European humor maybe? Or I could be overly dense on this.

Personally I am invariably walking to my village shop and a walk of 6 miles is my daily must.
Don't have a bike.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Wed 05 Dec 2012, 22:35:48

vision-master wrote:Check this out all you Honda lovers.....

What a overrated POS........ 8)

2012 Honda Civic 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Manual 6-spd, Premium Gasoline - 31 mpg highway (200 hp). :lol:

2013 Chrysler 300S V6 8-Speed Automatic, Regual Gasoline - 31 mpg highway (283 hp). :)

Since we're trolling...haha.

Porsche FTW!
This motor and engine deliver power to the rear axle via a 7-speed gearbox coupled to Porsche's own (PDK) double-clutch system. The front 95 kW (127 hp)[4] electric motor directly drives the front axle; an electric clutch decouples the motor when not in use.[7] The total system delivers 823 hp (614 kW) and 780 N·m (580 lbf·ft) of torque.[4] As of October 2012 the engineering design is not finalized,[7] but Porsche has given performance figures of 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.8 seconds and a top speed of 325 kilometres per hour (202 mph).[4] The energy storage system is a 6 kW·h liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery positioned behind the passenger cell. In addition to plugging in to recharge, the batteries are also charged by regenerative braking and by excess output from the engine when the car is coasting. CO2 emissions are 70 g/km[2] and fuel consumption is 3 L/100 km (94 imperial mpg/78 us mpg).

I'd rather be the killer than the victim.
The Money Badger don't care. Sucks to be poor!
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 06 Dec 2012, 09:21:34

Not trolling, the simple fact is most cheap compact cars are using old tech, considering their size, weight and horsepower are POS by today's standards.
vision-master

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Thu 06 Dec 2012, 09:47:58

vision-master wrote:Not trolling, the simple fact is most cheap compact cars are using old tech, considering their size, weight and horsepower are POS by today's standards.

An opinion worthy of a thoughtful consumerist.
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:00:48

Yes, just went through the new car stuff. I was going to go the route of the Honda Fit, until I found out how doggie it is and the mileage - 32 mpg highway........ that's horseshit.

Heck you can get a 5.7 Hemi (390 hp) in a car that get's 27 mpg highway.
vision-master

Unread postby basil_hayden » Thu 06 Dec 2012, 11:08:13

vision-master wrote:Yes, just went through the new car stuff. I was going to go the route of the Honda Fit, until I found out how doggie it is and the mileage - 32 mpg highway........ that's horseshit.

Heck you can get a 5.7 Hemi (390 hp) in a car that get's 27 mpg highway.

The difference is that the Honda is reliable for a dozen years while the Chrysler is reliable for two or three years, if that.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 06 Dec 2012, 11:15:53

basil_hayden just showed what a moron he is..........

Testing included 11 million customer equivalent miles, with stronger durability testing than any previous Chrysler engine. The 5.7-liter HEMI's 7 year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty is backed by an impressive 11 million customer equivalent miles (CEMs) of testing, including more than 200,000 CEMs of durability testing for the average consumer - more than any other Chrysler Group engine. The battery of reliability tests closely represents real-world driving conditions, in some cases exposing the engine to more severe abuses than drivers can dish out. For example, during a 260-hour period, the 5.7-liter HEMI was repeatedly heated to 240°F and then slammed with coolant that was -25°F.
"The engine was exposed to some of the harshest testing conditions and abuses imaginable," said Donald Dees, Vice President of Quality for the Chrysler Group (and formerly of Toyota, so you know that means something).

Now they have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Take your jap crap and stick it where the sun don't shine.... :)
vision-master

Unread postby zxc123 » Thu 06 Dec 2012, 16:44:00

Americans are going electric, because they understand this to be the solution to the oil problem. It is just a matter of time. The technology coming down the road will surprise. Electric vehicles are the future.
zxc123
Wood
Wood

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Fri 07 Dec 2012, 02:18:49

vision-master wrote:
Made sense in the 70's, created the entire imported car market people had been so sensitized to fuel prices. This is a good thing, as long as peak cheap oil keeps chugging along, we'll buy smaller cars, smaller cars need less fuel

2012 Honda Fit 4 cyl, 1.5 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular Gasoline - 33 gal highway.

You mean to me me a small compact with 115 hp ONLY get's 33 gal highway. :lol:

Yup. Its horsepower requirement from the engine to maintain speed is not that different from cars with similar gas mileage, regardless of their engine displacement. Smaller engines only show fuel economy benefits under high loads. Cars with a similar CdA perform similarly with regard to fuel economy at the low loads used for highway cruising, regardless of horsepower or engine size.

The Opel Eco Speedster is an example of a real-world 112 horsepower car, comparable in power to the Honda Fit.

The Eco Speedster uses a 1.2L 4-cylinder turbodiesel, tops out at 160 mph, and corners like you would expect of a Lotus Elise(the chassis it uses). 94 mpg combined.

Yes. 94 mpgs combined.

0.20 drag coefficient, 15.2 sq ft frontal area, diesel engine, optimized gearing, LRR tires, and she's very minimalist in creature comforts weighing in at only 1500 lbs. Get rid of the carbon fiber to reduce cost, put in roll-up windows, and maybe have optional items like AC or a radio, keep the streamlining; there's the possibility of a marketable, aesthetically gorgeous car that weighs a few hundred pounds more and performs similarly to that eco speedster while costing less than a typical car due to its simplicity, and would easily out-perform cars costing three or four times as much money while simultaneously being miserly with regard to fuel usage.

Less is more.

The Eco Speedster illustrates a system-oriented design. Function dictates form, and not the other way around. This philosophy is every bit as applicable to a vehicle designed for different applications, such as hauling around a family with all of the creature comforts one is willing to pay for. Just don't throw the creature comforts all on a car as standard as an excuse to raise the price.

If the Chevrolet Corvette were a minimalist 2,400 lb mid-engined streamliner(hypothetically, 0.16 drag coefficient, 19 sq ft area), kept the 650 horsepower V8 of the ZR1, it could easily exceed 50 mpg highway, and its top speed would exceed 250 mph; 0-60 mph time would be somewhere around 2.5 seconds. Add another 50% to the fuel economy if it's turned into a diesel, with even better acceleration.

Less is more.

A vehicle should be built to handle abuse on a daily basis for decades on end, so that when it is well kept, it lasts indefinitely, and should be built to be repaired to like-new condition under any circumstances. Old diesel Mercedes from the W126 models and earlier are notorious for this. This doesn't add more than a few hundred pounds to a car at worst, and is as simple as using components rated for 350 horsepower in a 120 horsepower car. A million mile car is not something an industry wants when high product turnover keeps sales healthy; some sewing machine manufacturers learned this the hard way during the early 20th century.

Turnover also wastes resources and is highly inconvenient to the consumer.

Planned obsolescence is the problem. It is currently still the rule of the day.

Me? Never buying a new car unless it is something that meets the following criteria:

-Less than 2,500 lbs
-A power to weight ratio of no less than 200 hp/ton
-Mid or front engined, weight distribution of 40-50% front
-Either rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive
-Less than 5 sq ft CdA
-Overbuilt with components rated to at least twice its horsepower and designed to tolerate constant abuse for years on end
-Geared for max theoretical top speed due to drag
-Roll cage
-Under $20,000
-Powerplant doesn't matter, although many bonus points if diesel or electric or a combination of the two

The less drag, the less weight, and the less horsepower, the more feasible the above is without any real compromise.

In the meantime, I have a 90% finished EV, two old turbodiesels, and a bicycle. Fuck this new car shit.
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Fri 07 Dec 2012, 09:55:16

The_Toecutter wrote:In the meantime, I have a 90% finished EV, two old turbodiesels, and a bicycle. Fuck this new car shit.

That's the spirit! I have a monster truck for hauling all the toys, the toys, and a bicycle. It is one thing to burn precious fuel in the spirit of joy and fun and having a good time, but when it is time to get serious, the bicycle is the weapon of choice.
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby jdmartin » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 11:23:12

There's really no mass market for hyper-efficient cars in the United States, no matter how bad some people might want them. A mass-marketed vehicle that's getting 75MPG or better and has a range of at least a couple of hundred miles is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k. Even at $4 per gallon, compare that to a $16k compact that gets 35MPG:

100k miles @ 75mpg = 1,333 gallons x $4 = $5,333 + $50k = $55,333
100k miles @ 35mpg = 2,857 gallons x $4 = $11, 429 + $16k = $27,429

Gasoline just doesn't cost enough to make the numbers work out. You'd have to drive over half a million miles in the vehicle before you broke even. Now it would come a lot closer in Europe, but Europeans don't drive anywhere near as much as Americans, so it would still take them forever to recapture their outlay.
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 12:18:10

Even at $4 per gallon, compare that to a $16k compact that gets 35MPG:

Compare that to a luxury sedan with close to 300 hp that get's 31 mpg. Your $16 compact is a POS. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 12:27:39

Does anybody think Dodge has turned the corner? They've put out such fast debilitating and hard to work on crap for so long that I have trouble trusting them. They are as bad as Nissan when they have been good and worse than Saab when they have been bad. The thing is they have been through the wringer, and it may have paid off. What about the Dart?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 12:37:50

misterno wrote:Where are the people who kept saying "Americans will never adopt to small cars they love their SUVs"?

Americans are rapidly becoming poor, due to globalization. I estimate they make less than a half of what they did 10-12 years ago. Possibly even 35-40% . Once certain % is driving small cheap cars, it suddenly becomes ok to drive these cars for other members of the herd. Personally I'm not giving up SUVs, because if/when we crush into each other , I'd rather be in a very big and very heavy vehicle. This is exactly the reason why I also cheer for little caskets with wheels and high gas prices.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 14:15:16

evilgenius wrote:Does anybody think Dodge has turned the corner? They've put out such fast debilitating and hard to work on crap for so long that I have trouble trusting them. They are as bad as Nissan when they have been good and worse than Saab when they have been bad. The thing is they have been through the wringer, and it may have paid off. What about the Dart?

Dodge has come a long way........ traded in the old POS Monte Carlo SS for a 2012 Dodge Avenger SXT Plus. So far it's as good as a BMW for half the price. :)
vision-master

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance