Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Where will we be in 10,000 years?

Re: Where will we be in 10,000 years?

Unread postby Lore » Tue 09 Feb 2016, 13:03:29

ROCKMAN wrote:And this is the mankind that's going to worry about some coastal residents having to relocate decades down the road???

A couple of decades sneaks up on you pretty fast and as I've been saying, even before then, we will be seeing coastal migration. That means push will come to shove.

Right now most people are just whistling past the graveyard. Every calamity is just a fix and stay put as long as someone else is able to financially cover their losses. That racket only works as long as someone is making money.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 09 Feb 2016, 13:30:39

Is anyone on top of what is happening in the real estate world in any of these areas? It seems to me that, like a run on a bank that people suspect is about to go under, there will be a sudden stampede away from certain coastal areas when people realize that they need to not be 'the last sucker' to sell out. That doesn't mean that they have to think that inundation is imminent; just that essentially no one will want to buy a long-term home on a coast that will be underwater (or whose service roads will be underwater) within a few decades, meaning that they will never be able to resell their home.

I would think that in some markets, such longer-term considerations would be starting to kick in pretty soon.

And then there's insurance--when will the gov stop footing that bill?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Lore » Tue 09 Feb 2016, 14:21:40

I wrote a post on this some months ago. Insurance companies and banks are presently ignoring their actuaries. Corporate management is still looking at short term goals and gains. The longer the delay the greater the financial route will become.

Why would anybody give out a 30 year mortgage right now in Miami?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 09 Feb 2016, 14:36:48

Yeah, I'm sure you planted the seed in my feeble brain.

I agree that the longer it is put off, the more huge and extreme the reaction is going to be.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 09 Feb 2016, 15:39:30

ROCKMAN wrote:Temperatures rising 7 degrees or 37 degrees isn't going to damage the planet. Lower the temp 7 degrees or 37 degrees won't hurt it either. The earth has undergone much greater climate changes in the past and it's still here.

The effect of mankind? That's a different matter.

Disproportionately humans will be affected. Climate change represents of those external forces that will correct human overshoot.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 09 Feb 2016, 16:10:53

Timo wrote:In 10,000 years, humanity will have evolved into an entirely different species.

Anaerobic bacteria?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Timo » Tue 09 Feb 2016, 16:52:13

jedrider wrote:
Timo wrote:In 10,000 years, humanity will have evolved into an entirely different species.

Anaerobic bacteria?

More like dust in the wind.
Timo

Unread postby Revi » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 15:02:46

We've no less time to sing God's praise...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 16:52:38

I think a magnificent book on runaway global warming and its perils is Mark Lynas 6 degrees. In this book it is explained that each degree higher contains the probability/possibility of another degree higher. Here is just some effects with each degree higher:
with one degree
a "dust bowl" effect in the Great Plains
no snow on Kilimanjaro
the Amazon pushed to the brink of collapse as fire danger escalates
polar icecaps get ready to melt
biodiversity havens disappear worldwide
hurricane danger in the South Atlantic (heretofore unknown) increases.

With two degrees, we’ll see:
drought in China
Acidic oceans wiping out coral reefs
regular occurrence of 2003-like summers in Europe
the destruction of Greenland’s ice sheet
the extinction of the polar bears
the drying-up of Peru’s water supply
the western US turning into a tinderbox

With three degrees, we can look forward to:
the death of the Kalahari desert
the regularization of the "El Nino" effect
the final death of the Amazon
the drying-up of the Indus and Colorado Rivers
the underwater descent of New York City

With four degrees:
ocean waters rise significantly, drowning Alexandria (Egypt) and Bangladesh
famine spreads as deserts expand
With five degrees, civilization-wide collapse will ensue, and with six degrees you get massive death on the level of the great dieoff of 251.4 million years ago. Pretty terrifying.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 16:54:54

dohboi wrote:And then there's insurance--when will the gov stop footing that bill?

When the majority of voters stop liking something-for-nothing programs.

Given the direction of things in this country, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 16:59:46

Lore wrote:I wrote a post on this some months ago. Insurance companies and banks are presently ignoring their actuaries. Corporate management is still looking at short term goals and gains. The longer the delay the greater the financial route will become.

In the real world where people buy and sell houses in coastal areas, I know people who are claiming the insurance rates in low lying areas in coastal states are just shocked at how high home insurance rates have gotten in recent years. Maryland and South Carolina to cite two specific states. And they say the insurance companies are blaming climate change risks. It's affecting their asking prices for those who want to sell (i.e. inherited homes).

So how is it that you know that insurance companies are ignoring their actuaries? Credible evidence, or the constant alarmist position that doom is nigh everywhere you look?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 19:32:33

OS, do you really think mere voters have much say in policy. Studies say otherwise. Given that there are a good number of people with very high incomes who have mansions on or near the coast, you can be sure that any move to change the insurance scam will go nowhere or (as happened before) be reversed soon after it is passed.

That will be even more true with Republicans in power, the folks who pretend to be against 'tax and spend,' but are really all for public spending to fund billionaires; they are only outraged about public spending when it is actually spent on the public, especially those elements of the public most in need.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Lore » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 20:16:40

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Lore wrote:I wrote a post on this some months ago. Insurance companies and banks are presently ignoring their actuaries. Corporate management is still looking at short term goals and gains. The longer the delay the greater the financial route will become.

In the real world where people buy and sell houses in coastal areas, I know people who are claiming the insurance rates in low lying areas in coastal states are just shocked at how high home insurance rates have gotten in recent years. Maryland and South Carolina to cite two specific states. And they say the insurance companies are blaming climate change risks. It's affecting their asking prices for those who want to sell (i.e. inherited homes).

So how is it that you know that insurance companies are ignoring their actuaries? Credible evidence, or the constant alarmist position that doom is nigh everywhere you look?

Because, as of right now, insurance companies and banks based on the already known risks should not be covering thirty year mortgages on homes. The inundation of a great proportion of coastal areas is a given. That is, ipso facto, nothing will change that.

Loaning money to people who's property will become worthless before the end of the note is eventual financial suicide. The conundrum for them is if they cut off the hand that feeds them now it will produce a real estate panic unprecedented in modern history. They are only buying time before the charade is up.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 00:00:21

That makes a kind of tragic sense.

Kind of a microcosm of the way TPTB is treating much of the rest of the catastrophes set to fall about our ears, and even those that have started to do so.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Revi » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 12:00:17

If someone in power knows what is happening they will start to figure out where to abandon. Examples include Boston's Back Bay and the low parts of Hoboken. Saving them is going to be a losing battle. Stop putting money into their infrastructure. Like they did to parts of New Orleans. It's time to save the rest of the city, like triage. I know that lots of people live there, but they will be forced to move anyway.

Time for reality. It will take an 80% reduction in fossil fuel use by 2020 to hold us under 2 degrees C. Is that going to happen? Maybe peak oil will be our salvation. If it hits hard and fast we'll stay under the amount of CO2 that can kill all of us.

We'll see.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 13:53:46

2 degrees C considering feedbacks already underway, the dimming effect and the ocean starting to become source rather than sink is already baked into the cake you could say. That amount of warming will lead to further warming and it appears that we are eventually headed to something like 6 degrees Celsius of warming.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Lore » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 15:21:31

The big lie is that nobody wants to admit the truth. Rather we are letting short term greed and comfort jeopardize our personal future. Trust no one that is glad handing business as usual.

Now, for a brief and soulful musical interlude on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmNud_3lcQ
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 16:21:33

Nice one. That has one of my favorite rhymes--truth and proof

In a similar vein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHpoGK1aX5Y

Ain't no smilin' faces...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge