Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What is the limiting factor?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: What is the limiting factor?

Unread postby Lore » Sun 13 May 2012, 20:30:25

Loki wrote:
Shaved Monkey wrote:Cheap high fat, calorie dense slave fuel.

Ha, ha, slave fuel, good one. Spot on, too.

Agent, your party is already talking about gutting the food stamps program, Meals on Wheels, and low-income school lunches in order to keep the gluttonous war industry nice and fat. I think you underestimate the petty meanness and sociopathic Social Darwinism of your party. Paul Ryan is just the tip of the iceberg. Our own Cog is a prime example of conservative sociopathy---he salivates at the thought of the "mooch" class dying off.

While I tend to agree that "food" (I use that term loosely) availability isn't currently a major problem in the US, conservative attempts to gut the safety net may very well initiate the social disruption Shaved is talking about. Food riots are rather common in other parts of the world.

While it has yet to make much headline news, food security in the US is a growing problem.

In 2010, 17.2 million households, 14.5 percent of households (approximately one in seven), were food insecure, the highest number ever recorded in the United States 1 (Coleman-Jensen 2011, p. v.)
http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Lea ... _facts.htm
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby glaucus » Sun 13 May 2012, 21:00:56

Shaved Monkey wrote:
Cheap high fat, calorie dense slave fuel.

Mmmm I love me some slave fuel.

Anyway, I believe that the limiting factor will prove to be physical in nature and NOT economic. People will always be able to engineer increasingly savvy financial instruments to navigate their way around bubbles and market crashes. If there's food growing at location A and hungry mouths at location B, that food will find its way to the hungry mouths. It certainly won't be healthy though. Think philanthropic interventions by corn-syrup kings like Cokes being thrown from the back of a semi into a desperate crowd, or dispersals of Dorito tesserae from the sky over heavily-populated areas.
"Today's city is the most vulnerable social structure ever conceived by man." -Martin Oppenheimer

Check out my urban planning blog:
https://planningdown.wordpress.com
glaucus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dsula » Mon 14 May 2012, 10:57:03

AgentR11 wrote:Thus, the answer to the question, is that there are no limiting factors on nominal growth. Resource constraints provide limits on real growth and produced widget count/per capita; but underneath it all as long as (food Cal grown in the US) > (food Cal eaten in the US), this game can and will continue.

If you can keep the decline in widgets/capita gentle enough (meaning spread out over generations) I agree with you. Impossible to say if you can achieve that. There could be a rapid drop of widgets/capita at any time. And even if you have food produced > food consumed, lack of widgets will lead to trouble.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Mon 14 May 2012, 15:57:50

Spent a while writing a response to this this am and was plenty pissed when I got a CloudFlare error instead of a preview and lost the effort.

Anyway, the reason the article ties into po is that there are a boatload of people who firmly believe that money makes resources, not vice versa.

It's talked about all the time here i.e.: "tech" will save us. People act as if 150 years ago our intellect just all of a sudden decided to bloom, leading to massive surpluses (capital) and the resultant explosion of population, all because of capital and human ingenuity - not resources and especially not fossil fuels.

I doubt there is there anything that I will touch today that is essentially the same as it was 150 years ago. By the same token, I doubt that a person 150 years ago could touch many things that had changed substantially for hundreds if not thousands of years. There is no new technology without capital and no capital without surplus. Care to guess what it is that "fuels" our surplus?

In the US the FIRE economy is touted as the future and manufacturing the past. The "FIRE" economy consists of interest, sales commissions and gambling – a derivative contract for example is called derivative because it is secondary, apropos of nothing except as a bet on an outcome where the bet itself influences and produces nothing, not even the thing at the center of the wager.

The upshot is, the new Gilded Age Barons are math geeks who figured out how make money for nothing, producing nothing and in fact I'd guess siphoning of prior surpluses faster than new resources can be extracted.

The huge overhang of debt worldwide is the manifestation of the newfound faith that money makes resources. Basically we're been writing checks that old Mother can't cover because we think somehow we've found a loophole in the Second Law.

Music to write derivatives by...
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Corella » Tue 15 May 2012, 06:55:03

I suffered the same loosing a longer reply...
Briefly: to a certain extent money in deed makes resources, it´s true pops! It is means of improving systems. Nevertheless the limiting factor at least will be shortage of biosphere. Until there we have plenty chances to make it worse. Just take "trust of Chinese economics into US-currency" or (if you take Agents pladoyer) or what ever.

BTW: reading for a while now my impression is, that we´re in the middle of Europe are more aware about all the inter-nation-dependencies than the mean forum thinking here...
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby radon » Tue 15 May 2012, 08:06:06

Corella wrote:I suffered the same loosing a longer reply...

A quick way to avoid losing replies is to copy the drafts periodically and keep them in the clipboard. If the site crashes then the work can be stored in a temporary text file on the computer's hard drive. Particularly helpful for non-native speakers (such as myself).
radon

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 15 May 2012, 09:49:45

Shaved Monkey wrote:The American dream provides the motivation to work hard for the extremely slim chance of catching the carrot on the end of the stick.
but
Thwarted expectations will be the game changer,you dont have to be starving for that,just knowing you will never catch the carrot will be enough and that will kick in well before climate change has any noticeable effect on cheap food.

I don't think its really a question of carrot catching, in fact, I'm pretty sure that the carrot fell on the ground, average Americans looked at it, and were disappointed to have reached it, and so lifted their eyeballs and found a gold nugget hanging from another stick. They couldn't quite reach the nugget, but they sure laid the trappings on thick in the process.

The carrot? 1500 sq ft home, two cars worth no more than $5k each, vacation to local amusement park or beach once a year.
The nugget? 4000 sq ft McMansion, two cars worth at least $30k each, massive commute, annual fly out to Barbados, and enough debt to terrify a bank exec.

Problem is, Americans had the income to take the carrot and an easy, worry free life; but couldn't stand that someone they knew might be living in a larger house.

I call "just desserts" on the result.

So, now that dessert has been served, can people pick up the carrot, rinse it off, and find that it is quite satisfying; or are they doomed to always want whatever is out of their reach? The developed world can support the carrot for most, and even perhaps all if people relearn how to be in extended families, but the nugget, not a chance.

edit: punctuation
Last edited by AgentR11 on Tue 15 May 2012, 10:12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 15 May 2012, 10:08:53

Pops wrote:I doubt there is there anything that I will touch today that is essentially the same as it was 150 years ago.

My axe is essentially the same, a heavy, double bladed beastie, well loved.
My swords are the same, one of which may be ~150 years old. (NOT a collectable though! beat to heck that blade is!)
My heavy recurve bow, though made of modern materials, is in form and function identical.
My futon, though again of modern materials, is also essentially identical to what has served humans well enough for centuries.

To build, to fight, to hunt, to sleep/love; what more is there to the purpose of a man?
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Corella » Tue 15 May 2012, 10:26:25

Frozen-Fritz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_Fritz) carried some blackthorne-fruits for his comfort. Mmmh, what a life.
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 16 May 2012, 05:13:00

AgentR11 wrote:
ralfy wrote:Borrowing, spending, and using less is not the solution to problems affecting a global capitalist economy but the result of those problems.

Not much in the way of argument to support your assertion; but as far as I can tell, the only "problem" involved is that it offends your sense of ethics. I think this is wrong placed, since the purpose of an economy is to permit almost everyone to get enough to eat and avoid freezing to death, while rewarding those who work harder or invest most with trinkets and acclaim. Now, I'll grant that the tiny upper, upper slice has perhaps gotten a tad carried away with the game, but, its hard to avoid the fact that pretty much no one is short on calories, and there aren't hundreds of thousands freezing to death in New England every winter. So it does sorta work.

As long as it keeps working, it will not be interrupted by any blogger's offended sense of morality, and I suspect it will keep working for a VERY long time. At least till the point that climate change kills our ability to grow adequate calorie crops.

A global capitalist economy requires increasing production and consumption of goods due to competition, and those increases require increasing amount of credit. And as more enter the middle class, that in turn requires even more credit as financial speculation sets in.

Terrific increases in mechanized agriculture and food production, manufacture of medicine and other necessities, development of infrastructure and generally industrialization, etc., were achieved significantly because of the use of oil. And as the conditions described in the first paragraph take place, even more oil and various resources are needed. See various primers on peak oil as well as Bartlett's lecture for more details.

The effect of such is increasing population, increasing consumption per capita as more enter the middle class, and increasing ecological damage. The effects include pollution, climate change, a credit crunch, and peak oil.

Thus, much of what is discussed in this forum supports my argument, not some silly claim about offending my sense of ethics.

The elite did not get "a tad carried away" but the complete opposite: only a fraction of what became over a quadrillion dollars in unregulated derivatives was needed to set off the 2008 crash, which in turn led to over $30 trillion vaporized, tens of millions of jobs lost worldwide, and record-high prices for food and oil. What makes matters worse is that that problem masked an even graver one--peak oil--which supports my argument even further, as more oil will be needed for a global capitalist economy to continue operating "for a very long time." Or as the IEA puts it, we'll need the equivalent of one Saudi Arabia every seven years just to maintain global economic growth.

Finally, one wishes that the whole world is New England, but the reality is that it isn't. Thus, as one celebrates the fact that the system "sorta" works because hundreds aren't freezing to death there, one conveniently ignores the hundreds of thousands dying because of drought and flood elsewhere. The irony is that these major floods and droughts may be part of the same climate change that you think isn't affecting us yet.

So, you go on dreaming of a global capitalist system that will keep working "for a very long time." I'll stick to the realities reported in this forum.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Corella » Wed 16 May 2012, 07:59:09

...the effect of such is decreasing population...! -> @ralfy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_transition
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 16 May 2012, 08:45:42

ralfy wrote:over a quadrillion dollars in unregulated derivatives

As long as you think things like this represent something larger than manageable, you are caught in the trap. Its just a number. Its a number that is the consequence of the size of the economy, but there would be nothing particularly difficult or amazing about a number a hundred, a thousand, or even a million times as large. Its just a number; each single unit of it does not represent some fixed value or resource; but rather, each unit is defined essentially by the quantity of currency distributed over the value of the global economy.

That doesn't change how many barrels of oil, or mBTU of natural gas are available; but I have scary news for you; the amount of oil and gas that will be produced even fifty years from now is MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to feed the destructive billions of humans clamoring for refined carbohydrates.

2008 crash, which in turn led to over $30 trillion vaporized, tens of millions of jobs lost worldwide, and record-high prices for food and oil.

The crash was an appropriate and necessary response to a ridiculous sequence of bubbles; that which "vaporized" was only vapor to begin with, just numbers and electronic bits, as to high prices for food and oil??? They both, today, remain spectacularly cheap; and expressed in terms of ounces of gold or any other tradeable commodity, remain more or less unchanged in cost. The only thing that shifted was the purchasing power of each of the units of currency, and then, only by just a little bit. The effect could have been a thousand times greater, and the result would have been the same; a bunch of non productive jobs eliminated, a reset (down) on the value of the currencies, and food continuing to show up in the grocery store.

same climate change that you think isn't affecting us yet.

BS. You lie again about my statement. Climate change has been effecting us for decades. It just hasn't made it impossible to grow sufficient calorie crops, YET.
When it does, THAT will be the game limit hit; and it will be unimaginably bad. Whining about some secretaries going unemployed, or some worthless houses being foreclosed will seem like stupid humor at that time.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 16 May 2012, 10:08:25

Barely a few weeks after the Carbon tax was made law in Oz, Victoria's premier announced plans yesterday to open Loy Yang brown coal to un-capped digging.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-15/b ... ection=vic

400 billion tonnes in one hole. Ranger is right. Things are going to get very messy in transition and moreso on the way down past that. BTW Oz just had a 20% above record farm output year. Remember 3 years ago we were about to all have to migrate because of drought? The desert has been replenished for the first time since white settlement, with 3 record central desert flood years in a row. Meanwhile things aren't looking too good in the Horn of Africa.

This guy had an interesting take on the state of the world last night:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3503553.htm
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 16 May 2012, 12:53:37

It seems obvious to me that the limiting factor is the percentage of debt which has been borrowed in order to put it into productive use in an asset which returns more than what it cost. To wit, the recent housing crash was a result of too many people thinking that houses are such assets. They aren't because those kinds of assets provide a return outside of their mere resale value. Houses don't do that unless you can rent them. Further, the use of financial instruments based on such non-assets also tanked the investment world. Debt that doesn't contribute that is borrowed beyond some as yet undiscovered level seems destined to shrink the money supply. Maybe that level always floats, like how bad stocks counter balance good stocks to reach a market beta or how rates of return are subject to opportunity (which may speak to the role of resources in this exercise). Maybe that level is static. I don't know. I do know that every time it is crossed in an economy bad things happen.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 17 May 2012, 03:02:59

AgentR11 wrote:
As long as you think things like this represent something larger than manageable, you are caught in the trap. Its just a number. Its a number that is the consequence of the size of the economy, but there would be nothing particularly difficult or amazing about a number a hundred, a thousand, or even a million times as large. Its just a number; each single unit of it does not represent some fixed value or resource; but rather, each unit is defined essentially by the quantity of currency distributed over the value of the global economy.

Unfortunately, the world doesn't operate in the simplistic fashion you describe. Part of the reasons for unemployment problems plus high food and oil prices is financial speculation, of which this issue is involved.

And, of course, it's doesn't "represent some fixed value or resource," as I explained in my first and second post.

That doesn't change how many barrels of oil, or mBTU of natural gas are available; but I have scary news for you; the amount of oil and gas that will be produced even fifty years from now is MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to feed the destructive billions of humans clamoring for refined carbohydrates.

Oil production per capita peaked in 1979, and at best the IEA reports that total production will go up by only 9 pct for the next two decades, and that's assuming that conventional sources don't drop. Meanwhile, demand has to go up by 2 pct per annum to meet global economic growth.

In terms of total resources, the current average ecological footprint is already much higher than biocapacity per capita, and the latter will decrease further given peak oil and ecological damage. What makes matters worse is that population will go up, and ave. ecological footprint has to go up as well because only a fraction of human beings have access to various basic needs.

The crash was an appropriate and necessary response to a ridiculous sequence of bubbles; that which "vaporized" was only vapor to begin with, just numbers and electronic bits, as to high prices for food and oil??? They both, today, remain spectacularly cheap; and expressed in terms of ounces of gold or any other tradeable commodity, remain more or less unchanged in cost. The only thing that shifted was the purchasing power of each of the units of currency, and then, only by just a little bit. The effect could have been a thousand times greater, and the result would have been the same; a bunch of non productive jobs eliminated, a reset (down) on the value of the currencies, and food continuing to show up in the grocery store.

The crash was not "an appropriate and necessary response" but the result of bubbles. With that, we see high food and oil prices.

Spectacularly cheap? Far from it. Most human beings earn less than $10 a day, and over 60 pct earn only around $2 daily.

Ounces of gold? Most gold is in the hands of the elite, and there are probably only around 150,000 metric tons of it. Divide that by over 7 billion, and one gets less than one troy oz. per capita. Even if one were to double that availability the number per capita will still be small.

BS. You lie again about my statement. Climate change has been effecting us for decades. It just hasn't made it impossible to grow sufficient calorie crops, YET.
When it does, THAT will be the game limit hit; and it will be unimaginably bad. Whining about some secretaries going unemployed, or some worthless houses being foreclosed will seem like stupid humor at that time.

Read my post: I was referring to your claim that "there aren't hundreds of thousands freezing to death in New England every winter." Again, it's easy to imagine that New England represents the world, and that climate change isn't affecting food prices.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 17 May 2012, 03:06:04

Corella wrote:...the effect of such is decreasing population...! -> @ralfy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_transition

Don't forget increasing resource consumption which negates savings from a demographic transition, as seen in factors like ecological footprint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_footprint

as well as footprint vs. biocapacity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... _footprint
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 17 May 2012, 10:20:56

ralfy wrote:Part of the reasons for unemployment problems plus high food and oil prices is financial speculation, of which this issue is involved.

There is no unemployment problem; EMRATIO levels right now are about at the historical norm. The bubbles created unrealistic expectations. The expectations remain, but the bubbles do not; those unemployed as a result will eventually come to understand that they are not worth hiring and find something else entertaining to do with their lives.

And... HIGH food and oil? Food and oil are dirt cheap. Its just that they have been cheaper in recent memory. But historically, to get the amount of work available in a barrel of oil, or the amount of food calories available for a few bucks, people would have to work many more hours than they currently do.

Oil production per capita peaked in 1979, and at best the IEA reports that total production will go up by only 9 pct for the next two decades, and that's assuming that conventional sources don't drop. Meanwhile, demand has to go up by 2 pct per annum to meet global economic growth.

Yes it did; but it remains and will remain vastly in excess of what is required to grow food, deliver, and feed our current populations. Ag and rail distribution are spectacularly efficient. Bob the Prol may have to walk or bike to the grocer; but the shelves will be stocked.

What makes matters worse is that population will go up, and ave. ecological footprint has to go up as well because only a fraction of human beings have access to various basic needs.

This is why what I wrote is so terrifying; per capita footprint won't decline much, or may even increase a bit; numbers will also increase. There aren't any limits in place that can prevent this. Not until calorie crop production fails, and then things get unimaginably bad, rather fast.

The crash was not "an appropriate and necessary response" but the result of bubbles. With that, we see high food and oil prices.

Food and oil are incredibly cheap. It is necessary that bubbles pop. It is expected. I don't see how that does not make "appropriate and necessary". Do you think bubbles should grow forever, or their gains remain locked in?

Spectacularly cheap? Far from it. Most human beings earn less than $10 a day, and over 60 pct earn only around $2 daily.

And amazingly, they don't starve to death? Why is that? BECAUSE FOOD IS CHEAP!

Ounces of gold? Most gold is in the hands of the elite, and there are probably only around 150,000 metric tons of it. Divide that by over 7 billion, and one gets less than one troy oz. per capita. Even if one were to double that availability the number per capita will still be small.

I did say "or other tradeable commodity". Silver works just as well, some might even suggest better for this example.

Read my post: I was referring to your claim that "there aren't hundreds of thousands freezing to death in New England every winter." Again, it's easy to imagine that New England represents the world, and that climate change isn't affecting food prices.

You do realize there is some significant space between "climate change isn't effecting" and "hundreds of thousands freezing to death" right? That is my point, the economic system, which will continue gimping along for the remainder of our lifetimes, and the resources available during that period are sufficient to avoid the latter, even while climate change is effecting all sorts of things.

Thus the limiter on the whole kettle of fish, is that at some point, climate change will prevent growing sufficient calorie crops year by year, such that reserves approach zero, and THEN we get true food cost increases. THEN those $10/day people starve and die.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 17 May 2012, 12:18:20

evilgenius wrote:It seems obvious to me that the limiting factor is the percentage of debt which has been borrowed in order to put it into productive use in an asset which returns more than what it cost. To wit, the recent housing crash was a result of too many people thinking that houses are such assets. They aren't because those kinds of assets provide a return outside of their mere resale value. Houses don't do that unless you can rent them. Further, the use of financial instruments based on such non-assets also tanked the investment world. Debt that doesn't contribute that is borrowed beyond some as yet undiscovered level seems destined to shrink the money supply. Maybe that level always floats, like how bad stocks counter balance good stocks to reach a market beta or how rates of return are subject to opportunity (which may speak to the role of resources in this exercise). Maybe that level is static. I don't know. I do know that every time it is crossed in an economy bad things happen.

True, some assets do provide a return just out of their resale value, owning companies which haven't paid dividends but have grown relative to what the safest rate or return would have been. Houses don't provide that return, except maybe in the case of empty nesters who can move into something smaller. When you sell a house you have to move into another house. The best you can do is break even, that's not investing in an asset. Hunkering down for a rate of return may not be sexy, but I think it is what drives real growth. Resource depletion, or the perception of it, has a direct impact on the rates of return that can be expected in certain asset classes. If the safe rate of return has to go up because of inflation fighting, then too fundamentally depleted or too poor a concentration resource investments become losing assets. Same goes for extracting things like oil when the cost of getting it out of the ground or from under the sea is greater than what would be that of a producing asset. Interestingly this paradox is not only affected by inflation, but also by the relative rate of return of competing assets. Oil can lose even in a low interest rate environment. It looks like a recipe for huge volatility in resource pricing, driving the price down until it becomes scarce enough because of lack of investment and then back up because of that scarcity. Reasonably, we should see many price swings in oil and other energy commodities along the way to full and real depletion. There should be a lot of instances over the coming years where people will be able to say, 'if this is so scarce then why is it so cheap?'
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 18 May 2012, 16:14:50

AgentR11 wrote:
There is no unemployment problem; EMRATIO levels right now are about at the historical norm. The bubbles created unrealistic expectations. The expectations remain, but the bubbles do not; those unemployed as a result will eventually come to understand that they are not worth hiring and find something else entertaining to do with their lives.

"Global unemployment has reached dangerous levels, ILO report shows"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-develo ... -recession

And... HIGH food and oil? Food and oil are dirt cheap. Its just that they have been cheaper in recent memory. But historically, to get the amount of work available in a barrel of oil, or the amount of food calories available for a few bucks, people would have to work many more hours than they currently do.

If "many more hours" are needed to get the same amount of food and oil, then both are neither "dirt cheap" nor "cheaper." It gets worse when oil prices are much higher in many parts of the world than in the U.S. and purchasing power lower.

Yes it did; but it remains and will remain vastly in excess of what is required to grow food, deliver, and feed our current populations. Ag and rail distribution are spectacularly efficient. Bob the Prol may have to walk or bike to the grocer; but the shelves will be stocked.

Again, ecological footprint is higher than biocapacity, which means what remains is the complete opposite of "vastly in excess." What makes matters worse is that the ecological footprint has to go up even more to provide the semblance of basic needs to most human beings, who lack access to one more more basic needs and earn only around two dollars daily. On top of that, pollution and climate change will decrease what is available.

Also, it's once more nice to imagine that "Ag and rail distribution" and stocked shelves, like New England, represent the world. But you know that's not true.

What makes matters worse is that population will go up, and ave. ecological footprint has to go up as well because only a fraction of human beings have access to various basic needs.

This is why what I wrote is so terrifying; per capita footprint won't decline much, or may even increase a bit; numbers will also increase. There aren't any limits in place that can prevent this. Not until calorie crop production fails, and then things get unimaginably bad, rather fast.

That's my point! Per capita footprint is rising NOT necessarily because of climate change but because of increasing credit and a growing middle class, if not an increasing population that needs food and other requirements. And even as food and oil prices are higher due to financial speculation and employment problems, more people are replacing luxuries with necessities. At the same time, climate change and environmental damage leads to lower biocapacity, and this also contributes to higher food prices.

Food and oil are incredibly cheap. It is necessary that bubbles pop. It is expected. I don't see how that does not make "appropriate and necessary". Do you think bubbles should grow forever, or their gains remain locked in?

Food and oil are not incredibly cheap (as shown above) even as most of the bubble (i.e., over a quadrillion dollars in "shadow" derivatives; we've seen the effects of only around a trillion of that via subprime lending) has not popped.

And amazingly, they don't starve to death? Why is that? BECAUSE FOOD IS CHEAP!

Food is not cheap, as it has reached a fifty-year high:

"Global food prices hit new record high"

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/0 ... cord-high/

That is why poverty and hunger have been going up worldwide:

"Rising Food Prices Intensify Poverty, Hunger In U.S. And World"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/1 ... 37664.html

Likely the reason why starvation has not taken place is because more are buying less consumer goods and more food. And that's because food is no longer cheap. That's also why exports for manufactured goods in Asia have been going down for several months, together with the BDI and global volume trade (as reported by ZH). When food prices are high, you think less of luxuries.

I did say "or other tradeable commodity". Silver works just as well, some might even suggest better for this example.

As I said, you can double the total metric tons and you end up with less than two troy oz per person. Include silver, which is cheaper, and the value per capita hardly goes up.

The gold standard is just one more illusion by those who still think that we can still have business as usual.

You do realize there is some significant space between "climate change isn't effecting" and "hundreds of thousands freezing to death" right? That is my point, the economic system, which will continue gimping along for the remainder of our lifetimes, and the resources available during that period are sufficient to avoid the latter, even while climate change is effecting all sorts of things.

You do realize that New England is not the world, right? Also, that the "economic system" that won't allow "hundreds of thousands freezing to death" isn't the same elsewhere?

Thus the limiter on the whole kettle of fish, is that at some point, climate change will prevent growing sufficient calorie crops year by year, such that reserves approach zero, and THEN we get true food cost increases. THEN those $10/day people starve and die.

Unfortunately, climate change is also driven by the same global capitalist system.

Also, lack of oil will lower the ability to produce more food. Increasing oil consumption is also driven by the same global capitalist system, as such a system requires increasing levels of prosperity, which translates to increasing resource consumption.

You also forgot to mention that increasing population and demand per capita also increases the cost of resources. Ironically, both were made possible because of the same global capitalist system, which led to lower infant mortality rates and higher life expectancy rates (which also increased human population) and more prosperity (which increased resource demand).

If economic problems take place like bubbles popping, then we have additional problems such as unemployment, austerity measures, etc., and people end up with less money, which makes food, oil, and even consumer goods more expensive. And those bubbles were made possible because of a global capitalist system with significant deregulation in the financial sector.

That is why I wrote in my first post:

Borrowing, spending, and using less is not the solution to problems affecting a global capitalist economy but the result of those problems.

That's because a global capitalist economy requires increasing production and consumption of goods for more profits, with more credit created to support such. And as more join the middle class, even more credit is created through financial speculation. Finally, the result of increasing production and consumption of goods is pollution, which has led to environmental damage and contributed to climate change, as well as peak oil. The result of financial speculation is credit bubbles popping, leading to problems such as unemployment and austerity measures.

Given such, people will have no choice but to borrow, spend, and use less. Their actions won't be a solution to these predicaments but the result of such.

That is why my argument has nothing to do with some "sense of ethics" but with what has been reported in this forum, which includes the effects of a global economic recession, peak oil, and climate change.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance