Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What are we thinking?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

What are we thinking?

Unread postby dbruning » Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:16:04

When you think about it, we reallllllly need to lose some convenience in order to save a little extra for the future.
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Re: What are we thinking?

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 13 Nov 2011, 09:31:25

Maybe so! When you consider the energy required to manufacture the dishwasher, heat and pump the water, and the electricity to run the dishwasher. Not to mention the cost to mine and refine the metals for the cutlery and fire the machine to mould the ceramics- it might very well be a net positive for everyone to stop using normal dishes and switch to disposibles?
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sun 13 Nov 2011, 16:58:58

The conundrum is a sustainable future is one in which there will be fewer jobs. It is antithetical to the capitalist growth system by which all forms of human endeavor are now valued and compensated for. Until the very nature of human beings is altered and they treasure the less tangible things in life as opposed to physical property and adolescent leisure, this will not change, or is it likely to.
Last edited by Lore on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 17:32:34, edited 1 time in total.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 13 Nov 2011, 17:00:04

All things must pass...
vision-master

Unread postby careinke » Sun 13 Nov 2011, 17:55:09

Lore wrote:The conundrum is a sustainable future is one in which there will be fewer jobs. It is antithetical to the capitalist growth system by which all forms of human endeavor are now valued and compensated for. Until the very nature of human beings is altered and they treasure the less tangible things in life as opposed to physical property and adolescent leisure, this will not change, or is it likely to.

Of course this does not dissolve the individual from taking responsibility for their own actions. You can slowly separate yourself from the dying system. Start by growing a garden, get out of debt, think before you buy.....
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 13 Nov 2011, 18:38:49

dbruning wrote:Image

When you think about it, we reallllllly need to lose some convenience in order to save a little extra for the future.
Who uses plastic spoons at home. We dont go to a shop to buy one plastic spoon. If we did buy disposable spoons it would be hundreds at a time. Almost all of the effort is done by fossilised sunshine from another aeon. So its understandable that we substitute human labour for buring fossil energy. Its less labour for us.

Its a metaphor for 250 years of engineering progress.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sun 13 Nov 2011, 18:44:50

dorlomin wrote:Its a metaphor for 250 years of engineering progress.

Yes truly amazing, in only 250 years we have developed something that will continue to hurt the environment for thousands of years, all for less than thirty minutes of use.

However, I think the plastic fresh produce bags are even a greater accomplishment.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 14 Nov 2011, 20:21:32

The same thing the Easter Islander's did when they cut down the last palm.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dbruning » Tue 15 Nov 2011, 18:42:18

Maybe so! When you consider the energy required to manufacture the dishwasher, heat and pump the water, and the electricity to run the dishwasher. Not to mention the cost to mine and refine the metals for the cutlery and fire the machine to mould the ceramics- it might very well be a net positive for everyone to stop using normal dishes and switch to disposibles?

Who said anything about a dishwasher? hot water and a little soap? (not being 100% honest, I use one at home)

Actually I heard some companies are doing the disposable container thing, maybe it would be less galling to me if the plastic degraded after getting wet or something.

Main point of the post was my agreement that our society has become really dependent on a complex ways of doing things, and that perhaps there will be benefits to stepping back to something a little simpler.

And I thought it was a little funny.
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Unread postby careinke » Tue 15 Nov 2011, 22:05:29

There are biodegradable "plastic" tableware. It is made out of cellulose, and is just as good, though more expensive, than traditional plastic ware.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 15 Nov 2011, 23:02:55

I recall moving into an apartment in college, getting an order of fried chicken and sides with my roommates and we realized they didn't give us utensils and we had no kitchenware. We ate the drumsticks first and used the bone to scoop up slaw and mashed potatos. Bonin' the slaw, we called it. I dislike plastic utensils anyway. Rather use disposable chopsticks -made in usa-
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 15 Nov 2011, 23:20:55

I heard somewhere that China had banned wood chopsticks because they were not reusable and their use was leading to deforestation.

Urban legend?
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 14:21:36

Newfie wrote:I heard somewhere that China had banned wood chopsticks because they were not reusable and their use was leading to deforestation.

Urban legend?

Maybe that's why they are making them in the USA with American trees? This video says China consumes 50 Billion chopsticks a year.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 18:30:43

dbruning wrote:

Who said anything about a dishwasher? hot water and a little soap? (not being 100% honest, I use one at home)

Actually I heard some companies are doing the disposable container thing, maybe it would be less galling to me if the plastic degraded after getting wet or something.

Main point of the post was my agreement that our society has become really dependent on a complex ways of doing things, and that perhaps there will be benefits to stepping back to something a little simpler.

And I thought it was a little funny.

At least a bit ironic but I think it would be a good question for some number crunchers to work through. Considering the cost of hot water to wash dishes either in a dish washer or a conventional sink system the stainless steel spoon used for say thirty years is not without costs but the plastic spoons (and there would be thousands of them ) would add up especially when you consider the cost of recycling them or even worse hauling them to a land fill and paying the tipping fee.
I wonder what the bottom line really says. ??
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 18:38:35

Good grief, lick it and lay it on the counter.

Really, we don't have a dish washer and things work just fine.

We have a cabin with running water, I run up the hill to get a bucket and come back. A little dip i'll do ya.

Long term cruisers on short water get by well with a water budget of under a gallon a day. One guy says "Use all you want, just use it out of a spray bottle."
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 18:56:42

Newfie wrote:Good grief, lick it and lay it on the counter.

"

:o 8O :) You might do that but will your wife and daughters go along? (If you have them as I do ). I'm considering the two likely scenarios of plastic spoons used once and disposed of vs. traditional flatware used in modern manner, IE. washed dried and stored between uses. There are lots of other cases you could consider such as using the plastic spoon three times before discarding it etc. but that just muddles the issue.
I use both strategies. At home we use flatware the American way both sink washing and using a modern dishwasher. When I am at hunting camp or summer RVing we use one time plastic as washing facilities are at a premium and the time budget is crowded.
I expect the plastic is a waste but I can't prove it out of hand without computing the cost of the hot water used to clean the steel flatware.
And at any rate your not going to get a plastic knife to carve your steak.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 19:14:04

careinke wrote:Yes truly amazing, in only 250 years we have developed something that will continue to hurt the environment for thousands of years, all for less than thirty minutes of use.

However, I think the plastic fresh produce bags are even a greater accomplishment.
Indeed, it's why Mother Earth made us in the first place: Plastic
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 20:57:27

vtsnowedin wrote:
Newfie wrote:Good grief, lick it and lay it on the counter.

"

:o 8O :) You might do that but will your wife and daughters go along? (If you have them as I do ).

I do, and they do.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 00:27:30

Newfie wrote:The same thing the Easter Islander's did when they cut down the last palm.

You liberals are fascinated with Easter Island. One data point does not mean much in the broad sweep of civilization.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Lore » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 00:53:31

Serial_Worrier wrote:
Newfie wrote:The same thing the Easter Islander's did when they cut down the last palm.

You liberals are fascinated with Easter Island. One data point does not mean much in the broad sweep of civilization.

A great many immigrants first came to the US for the same reasons. The difference is they found a boat.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Next

Return to Conservation & Efficiency