Re: Wetbulb T Death: Here Now; More To Come

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 28 Jun 2015, 17:13:35

(And sometimes, not even then!)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Wetbulb T Death: Here Now; More To Come

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Sun 28 Jun 2015, 21:55:51

I also knew about wbt, but I liked the thread - at least until people starting critizing back and forth. Annecdotes and scientific knowledge is a fine combination for discussions and clarifications.

So thanks for this thread, anyhow.
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Its too late to save the world from global warming

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 13:03:51

Newf,

I will have a look, right now I'm contending with my filipina wife about buying useless real estate in the Philippines. We live in the same house, on different planets. Only quantum mechanics keeping me 'sane' about now. (I have already experienced very near WBT 35, probably 32-33. It is frikken scary. Was in her home town- more so for her family. I knew what was happening. Said nothing, just haven't been back in 4 years. )
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 14:17:21

WBT = ?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 14:27:20

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 19:56:39

D'oh!!! :oops:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 20:43:17

Lol! WBT, I think you were my first guru on it Doh! I recall having trouble grokking it like most do, then a couple of years later sitting with damp rags & fan in my face, kids in pool being drenched constantly, almost no evaporation at peak about 34c, most of the late may day over 32c. There was about 5 hours where the locals were saying this is as bad as it has ever been, but none could remember a day like it. Just 2 degrees warmer & the 90% without aircon would have died like flies. The roads ceased to function as people fled to large centers in search of cool shopping centers. Banks ran out of money because the cash transport couldn't move. 3 days later everyone forgot about it as the monsoon broke. I didn't forget.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 20:53:48

dohboi wrote:WBT = ?

You measure it with a psychrometer.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 21:40:50

Different formulas for measuring humidity to temp
The news weather usually say is "x" C but feels like "y" C
We get few weeks a year when its low 30s C and high 80s% humidity its a good time to hide in the shade and drink cool drinks under the fan.
I dont have air con just ceiling fans and a well designed house to catch breezes with good cross flow, no insulation so it doesnt catch heat,white coloured tin roof ,high ceilings and a very good "Hawaiian" climate
Cool breezes in the Summer is the norm
(for now)

Apparent temp
WBGT

http://www.bom.gov.au/info/thermal_stress/#wbgt
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 22:50:16

How Does a Heat Wave Affect the Human Body?
[url='Scientific American']http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/heat-wave-health/[/url]

I keep hearing that when night-time temperatures don't come down sufficiently, that increases the risk of morbidity/mortality during a heat wave, but I didn't find any detailed information to post a link and I would be curious of what's the physiological mechanism is of the accumulated 'exhaustion'.

On my trip the beaches in Guatemala only got really uncomfortable for a few hours during the day, but I noticed that in my airport stay in Panama that the night-time temperatures stay rather elevated. (Note, this is supposed to be the cool season, and I notice the same pattern as up north, that cold days punctuated by some warm days has turned into warm days punctuated by some colder days. This says that minimums and maximums are not as important as a count of number of days temperatures stay elevated.) I used to love warm weather, but age makes one adverse to extremes, especially if we are not acclimated to it.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 23:44:46

Neither is important. Wet bulb temps are important because they indicate the efficiency of our body's cooling system. WBT 35+ is deadly. 45c day, 30+c night- does not matter unless the relative humidity prevents heat loss through sweat & evaporation.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 01:47:24

jed wrote: "I keep hearing that when night-time temperatures don't come down sufficiently, that increases the risk of morbidity/mortality during a heat wave"

I've heard that, too. But I also can't find a source for it from my few minutes of searching. Can anyone else? Is this another urban (heat island) legend?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 01:58:08

HEAT STRESS is Australia's number one natural killer, accounting for the deaths of more people than floods, cyclones, bushfires and storms combined.
It's a situation which is only likely to become worse as the climate changes, researchers warn.
Macquarie University risk scientist Lucinda Coates and colleagues analysed records dating back more than 160 years and found that "since 1900, extreme heat events have been responsible for more deaths in Australia than the combined total of deaths from all other natural hazards (barring disease epidemics)."
Most deaths occurred over the summer months, with the most lethal day of the year falling on January 27.

http://www.abc.net.au/environment/artic ... 081144.htm
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 23:54:32

dohboi wrote:jed wrote: "I keep hearing that when night-time temperatures don't come down sufficiently, that increases the risk of morbidity/mortality during a heat wave"

I've heard that, too. But I also can't find a source for it from my few minutes of searching. Can anyone else? Is this another urban (heat island) legend?

WBT 35+ is heat stress on steroids, will kill most people in under 5 hours. 45+ in the desert with a 32 minimum is no where near as much of a problem- drink water, splash yourself, wear damp clothes & stay shaded & in a breeze or a fan draft- not going to kill any healthy people.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Soon It Will Be So Hot Workers Outside Will Die--Holdren

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:56:14

https://www.skepticalscience.com/white- ... -risk.html

Climate Change Poses Urgent Health Risk

Climate change is a major threat to human health, with extreme heat likely to kill 27,000 Americans annually by 2100, according to a report released Monday ...

The report, by the U.S. Global Change Research Program, outlines numerous ways global warming could devastate public health in the U.S. this century.

Global warming will lead to heat waves so extreme that in the hottest times of the year, it will be “physiologically impossible” for people who work outdoors to do their jobs, John Holdren, a science advisor to the Obama administration, said during a news conference about the report.

People who work outdoors will be unable to control their body temperature and will die,” he said.

“This is a really, really big deal.”

I still think effects on ag will kill far more people, but it's all connected.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Soon It Will Be So Hot Workers Outside Will Die--Holdren

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 11 Apr 2016, 16:20:21

I think AG will be creating havoc before wet bulb temps do. A double whammy.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 00:08:31

And it will still be less than the number of workers who die in car accidents.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 00:27:27

It is not uncommon for manual laborers to already die in hot Summer weather, along with senior citizens, sick people, and a certain number of seemingly perfectly healthy young people.

When I was a kid growing up in the MidWest before A/C was common, people dealt with such heat waves and simultaneous high humidity (aka a perfectly normal MidWestern Summer) by living in their cellars if they were fortunate enough to have such, or sleeping in the dirt crawlspace if they had no cellar. Then some silly contractor got the idea that he could simply dig a hole, throw in some rebar, and pour a concrete slab that he could construct a house upon. So today we have a huge inventory of cheaply constructed homes that will be uninhabitable without cheap grid power for A/C. Is that news to you, or have you even bothered to think about such things?

What is the point of all these silly alarmist posts? You are breeding contempt for AGW crackpots such as yourself by posting nonsense without analysis or critical review.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 07:50:48

There will be a greater panic and death as a result of human displacement in the coming decades due to climate change.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 08:23:47

I tend to agree, Lore.

But I also think the article, far from being 'alarmist,' understates the scope and depth and timing of the threat.
Last edited by dohboi on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 09:51:20, edited 1 time in total.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate