Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Wetbulb T Death: Here Now; More To Come

Re: Wetbulb T Death: Here Now; More To Come

Unread postby clif » Wed 25 May 2016, 00:01:27

you're D's

Not mine, especially the neo-liberal DNC triangulating ones.

Bernie would be a centrist in my world every one to the right of him is, a far right fringer.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby clif » Wed 25 May 2016, 00:10:00

clif wrote:
you're D's

Not mine, especially the neo-liberal DNC triangulating ones.

Bernie would be a centrist in my world every one to the right of him is, a far right fringer.

Clinton and Obama to me was the lesser of two possible evils.

Neither one nor almost anybody allowed by the party apparatus and media scrum that focuses the "acceptable" candidates to the masses wants to touch this mess hoping it doesn't explode during their time feeding off the campaign circus, and their time in office.

Trump denies the problem, Hillary will give it the same ineffective lip service Obama has, and Bernie might look into it, but cannot bring himself to take the needed actions to stop the problem because of the economic calamity that would cause.

I don't see anybody that the media nor the party allows on the stage as a viable candidate as doing squat , cause the people the media feeds off of, their advertisers don't want it.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 13 Jun 2016, 16:20:04

Ok, here's a WOE for you...

Its current 95F, *and* 62% humidity... that's a heat index of 114F. It doesn't do this very often....

I was cutting trees with a chainsaw and sweat was literally pouring off me in steams, and I've been drinking water by the liter. (have to add sodium&potassium, you're no longer in the mg's sweat loss at that point...)

That's a wet bulb temp of 83.6 F. Darn right hard to breath once you're in a high aerobic phase of activity.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Timo » Mon 13 Jun 2016, 16:29:38

AgentR11 wrote:Ok, here's a WOE for you...

Its current 95F, *and* 62% humidity... that's a heat index of 114F. It doesn't do this very often....

I was cutting trees with a chainsaw and sweat was literally pouring off me in steams, and I've been drinking water by the liter. (have to add sodium&potassium, you're no longer in the mg's sweat loss at that point...)

That's a wet bulb temp of 83.6 F. Darn right hard to breath once you're in a high aerobic phase of activity.

Stop drinking water, and you won't sweat in streams. Unless you're cooling off in a stream, and you're also sweating.

Sorry. Bad puns, and worse advice. The next 45 days here are expected to be 11 to 15 degree above normal for this time of year. I'm used to 90s in July and August. Not in June. Our humidity is also upwards of 70% to 80%, as well.

Summers here are Hell on Earth.
Timo

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 13 Jun 2016, 17:02:44

Stay safe, Agent. What are pollution levels like there?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 13 Jun 2016, 17:17:07

I live in the sticks as it were; so we're mostly good; just a moderate detection of ozone and particulates.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Mon 13 Jun 2016, 21:00:40

cutting firewood today too Agent .....only 14 degrees C though ...quite pleasant for early winter
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Timo » Tue 14 Jun 2016, 10:14:33

HEY! Not to put too fine a point on it, but all you people talking about the fine weather you're having, wherever you're lucky enough to be, is making me sad. [smilie=sad10.gif]
Timo

Temperature beyond human habitability?

Unread postby jupiters_release » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 19:14:09

Sure McPherson and Cid are easy targets of our frustration but I don't think their current predictions can be considered crazy. Instead of putting a timeline to extinction, is there any consensus on temperature to extinction?
Last edited by jupiters_release on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 19:57:12, edited 1 time in total.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Temperature beyond human habitability?

Unread postby jupiters_release » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 19:24:13

Well I wasn't expecting 10 to be the second vote but if others vote that high then I will expand the poll up to 15 deg. 8O

Also curious what number Pstarr, Tanada, and Rockman would choose.

Edited to 15 deg but doing so erased the two votes for 10. Please recast vote!
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 20:07:25

I don't think there is a correct answer to the question. Humans are so adaptable to changing circumstances and the topography and climate of the planet so varied by latitude and elevation that there are bound to be areas where an increase in temperature is beneficial on a local basis and that population will survive.
Their biggest problem will be people fleeing newly created deserts trying to move in and crowd out the natives. Look at Germany this past year for an example.
In short while I think climate change coupled with the actual onset of peak oil will drastically reduce the human population I seriously doubt that it will lead to a complete extinction of our species.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jupiters_release » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 20:20:53

Yes I'm inquiring for people's opinions, didn't mean to infer the 'correct' answer can be known.

But surely you're neither implying humanity anywhere on earth can exist after another 15 deg global increase, right?
Last edited by jupiters_release on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 20:23:33, edited 1 time in total.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 20:22:44

From what I have gleaned. 6 degrees Celsius beyond pre-industrial temps, would be very difficult to survive for large higher life forms such as ourselves. Being warm blooded creatures would not help.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jupiters_release » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 20:24:24

onlooker wrote:From what I have gleaned. 6 degrees Celsius beyond pre-industrial temps, would be very difficult to survive for large higher life forms such as ourselves. Being warm blooded creatures would not help.

Then place your vote for 5!
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 20:31:32

Sorry already placed it for 6
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 20:41:20

jupiters_release wrote:Yes I'm inquiring for people's opinions, didn't mean to infer the 'correct' answer can be known.

But surely you're neither implying humanity anywhere on earth can exist after another 15 deg global increase, right?

Wrong. Fifteen degrees C would not be enough to make Antarctica habitable but there are certainly areas, perhaps the Yukon of Alaska or Greenland or the elevation belt between 7,000 and 10,000 ft. in elevation on several mountain ranges where fifteen plus C would make things a lot nicer then they are today.
The convenient thing about the mountain ranges is that you don't have to accurately pick the future temperature just move up or down slope to where conditions are right this year.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 21:32:39

Well since global temps have only risen 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880, I'd say we have a long wait ahead of us to find out what is uninhabitable.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 22:53:33

This question assumes that the 2015 Paris Accords are a fraud and a sham, and the world will blow right past the 2 degree C limit on increases agreed to by Obama and other world leaders.

Good to see people get that now

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Tue 03 Jan 2017, 00:09:16

Check ...Paleocene Eocene thermal maximum ,
it wasn't a mass die off , life flourished there were crocodiles and turtles at the pole .

a fern called Azolla covered the Arctic ocean in such quantity that when it dead stem sunk
it created eventually all the gas and oil now found in the Polar region
anyone of you has ever wondered where the bio material needed to create oil and gas in Alaska and Siberia came from
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate