Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

We are in a global recession

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: We are in a global recession

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 09 Nov 2015, 20:21:25

I think even worse that that has been China colluding with and condoning the widespread contamination, polluting and trashing of its environment.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 09 Nov 2015, 20:44:06

pstarr wrote:onlooker, the Chinese went about it all wrong. Instead of building all those new cities, they might have just followed America's lead and built mile after mile after mile after mile of souless dreary cookie-cutter suburbia.

And you call me ill-informed?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuesti ... _anything/
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 12:33:20

"We are entering the Greatest Global Depression"

End is nigh, huh? How nigh? What does "Greatest Global Depression" mean for Joe Public? Presumably the end of EV dreams, of course, because that's what you so dearly want to see happen. So how could you possibly see it any other way? But seriously, if you're gonna make a prediction, be specific, because right now things really aren't so bad and people like Peter Schiff and Ron Paul have been whining about fiat currency for many years now. You can't go around the internet for long without bumping into some blogger saying the bubble's gonna pop, usually someone with a book, seminar, or freeze dried rations to sell. Meanwhile, the world keeps turning, store shelves remain stocked, and doomer dreams of wailing and gnashing of teeth on Main Street continue to be, at best, postponed.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 14:22:25

pstarr wrote:Another pointless ad hom and stupid personal attacks. Troll

Ennui, the post was not intended for you. You need to study up on basic economics, money supply, the nature of work and energy before you shoot your trap off again. Just shut up and go away

My bold tags speak for themselves about the integrity of your posting.

I know you're posts are meant for the echo-chamber which is why this site needs a little dissent now and then. How long before you resort to swearing like you did in PMs to me?
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 17:32:54

ennui2 wrote:
pstarr wrote:Another pointless ad hom and stupid personal attacks. Troll

Ennui, the post was not intended for you. You need to study up on basic economics, money supply, the nature of work and energy before you shoot your trap off again. Just shut up and go away

My bold tags speak for themselves about the integrity of your posting.

I know you're posts are meant for the echo-chamber which is why this site needs a little dissent now and then. How long before you resort to swearing like you did in PMs to me?

I feel a little left out. Pete just swears at me on the board. I don't get no PM's. :-D
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 20:27:38

ennui2 wrote:"We are entering the Greatest Global Depression"

End is nigh, huh? How nigh? What does "Greatest Global Depression" mean for Joe Public? Presumably the end of EV dreams, of course, because that's what you so dearly want to see happen. So how could you possibly see it any other way? But seriously, if you're gonna make a prediction, be specific, because right now things really aren't so bad and people like Peter Schiff and Ron Paul have been whining about fiat currency for many years now. You can't go around the internet for long without bumping into some blogger saying the bubble's gonna pop, usually someone with a book, seminar, or freeze dried rations to sell. Meanwhile, the world keeps turning, store shelves remain stocked, and doomer dreams of wailing and gnashing of teeth on Main Street continue to be, at best, postponed.

But didn't you point out in another thread that that postponement only involves a couple of years?
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 14 Nov 2015, 09:35:41

ralfy wrote:But didn't you point out in another thread that that postponement only involves a couple of years?

I don't recall ever saying "a couple of years". I stop short of making specific predictions. But I don't think things are going to collapse like a house of cards anytime soon.

And lately you seem to interject with these "buts". What does the "But" signify? If the center holds for a couple years or 20 years, how does that constitute a "but"? Doomers don't live in the present. They live in the future. If we moved the clock back to the neolithic revolution, people happy about the dawn of agriculture would face a killjoy "but" from doomers talking about the 21st century. You want to tell me BAU isn't sustainable? You think I don't know that? You want to tell me I should alter my lifestyle for when TS really HTF? I've done that in my own way and come to the conclusion that I have too many advantages in the BAU workforce to do anything but leverage them while BAU remains extant, rather than bugging out. It's golden shackles and it's my best avenue. There is no one-size-fits-all approach.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 14 Nov 2015, 09:47:20

Good observations Ennui, how we prepare is not a one-size fits all endeavor. In fact from my own personal opinion, being mentally prepared in terms of coming to grips with a collapse scenario is the best preparation I think of all. To me that is why I so unflinchingly try and ascertain the true status of our world albeit with all it's complexities. Not just to be somewhat prepared individually but because I find it intriguing though I cannot separate completely from some of the tragedies occurring around the world as we speak. As one example is the thread that Vox keeps active being the S America's Largest City On Verge of Collapse, to learn of the terrible living conditions of those poor in Brazil and how they are on the border of dire water shortages which threatens the lives and health of many.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Pops » Sat 14 Nov 2015, 10:28:00

which is a funny attitude considering your sig lol
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 14 Nov 2015, 11:07:47

onlooker wrote:being mentally prepared in terms of coming to grips with a collapse scenario is the best preparation I think of all.

Whether "doom" occurs two years from now or 20, it's still the same kind of life planning that all of us have to make in general due to our mortality. Life is what happens when you're making other plans. Seize the day.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 14 Nov 2015, 11:36:04

ennui2 wrote:
I don't recall ever saying "a couple of years". I stop short of making specific predictions. But I don't think things are going to collapse like a house of cards anytime soon.

And lately you seem to interject with these "buts". What does the "But" signify? If the center holds for a couple years or 20 years, how does that constitute a "but"? Doomers don't live in the present. They live in the future. If we moved the clock back to the neolithic revolution, people happy about the dawn of agriculture would face a killjoy "but" from doomers talking about the 21st century. You want to tell me BAU isn't sustainable? You think I don't know that? You want to tell me I should alter my lifestyle for when TS really HTF? I've done that in my own way and come to the conclusion that I have too many advantages in the BAU workforce to do anything but leverage them while BAU remains extant, rather than bugging out. It's golden shackles and it's my best avenue. There is no one-size-fits-all approach.

That's what I remember. Also, "a short while."

Now, it's "anytime soon," which is opposite.

Since you keep contradicting yourself, I don't see why I should waste my time addressing your posts.

Welcome to my ignore list.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby threadbear » Sat 14 Nov 2015, 22:06:12

I am SO convinced Schiff is right I am selling half of my gold bullion next week. I have lost a certain amount of faith in the doom mongers. We may have inflation at some point. For example, if the recovery in the U.S. proves to be largely the result of all of the QE's, maybe more stimulus and attendant inflation will occur. Could happen.

But, more likely, the govt, if faced with dire circumstances, will launch massive make work projects built around protecting grid from emp's and new energy, rail and vehicle infrastructure. There will be plenty of jobs created in the solar and wind sector, if this occurs.

I'm not sweating it anymore.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 15 Nov 2015, 02:50:30

It will be interesting to see how the markets react on Monday after the latest events in Paris.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 15 Nov 2015, 07:57:56

Over the last one month we have approach 18,000 on the DOW to back down where we started from a month ago. Which annoys me greatly.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby threadbear » Sun 15 Nov 2015, 16:15:02

Cog wrote:Over the last one month we have approach 18,000 on the DOW to back down where we started from a month ago. Which annoys me greatly.

The Dow is no longer a very reliable indicator of WTF is going on in the real world. It may be somewhat predicated on what white people with too much money, hedge funds and etc...think might occur in the future, but for the most part it is a manipulated index, fuelled partly by pools of money with no other place to go. This could change when alternatives get a HUGE green light from the conclusions, guidance and agreements reached in Paris.

If people aren't a little confused by what is going on in the economy right now, they don't know enough about it.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 15 Nov 2015, 16:28:04

The stock market is a deceptive indicator of the real world economy. So much so, that the TPTB had to bifurcate Wall street from Main street. Even more so in the last 15 years or so with the repeal Glass-Steagall and the frenzied speculation that was even mentioned by then Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan in his "irrational exuberance" quote. So what we have now is basically gambling in the form of derivatives etc. Not in touch with the real economy and much less with the working classes.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance