Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Waste vegetable oil

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Waste vegetable oil

Unread postby dub_scratch » Thu 18 May 2006, 12:48:01

pstarr wrote:Just about now Grabby is going to dump some math on your collective cornucopian heads. he will show you that there is not enough land or energy in biocrops to have any impact on our upcoming liquid-fuel problems.

Futhermore, the free stuff you biofdiesel dumpster-divers use is not really "free." You are diverting old cooking oil from a waste stream that supplies soap manufacturers. A waste stream that happens to be owned by some very tough people named 'Soprano.' Wait until they figure out who is cutting into their profits :shock:

I recall a Simpsons episode where Homer had this scheme to suck out waste grease into the back of his waggon car for resale. He ended up butting heads with the mob-- Doh!!
dub_scratch
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dub_scratch » Thu 18 May 2006, 17:09:19

Hey pstar, do you think that maybe the mob will become the biggest providers of biofuels from waste grease? I wonder how much biodiesel you can get out of one of those "uncooperative people".
dub_scratch
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby WisJim » Fri 19 May 2006, 09:31:12

grabby wrote:its like hydrogen, most the product is used up making itself
its a no winner
no brainer.

If hydrogen is produced by wind generators or solar electic panels (PVs) and is used to store this energy instead of in batteries, none of the product is used making itself. This is the best way to make/use hydrogen in my opinion, and would justify fuel cells.
WisJim
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency