Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

SpaceX

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: SpaceX

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 03 Jul 2015, 04:01:39

AgentR11 wrote:They *WILL* have more failures. Russia will have more failures. NASA will have more failures. ULA will have more failures. EU,China, India, Japan; all are going to blow up more rockets and wreck more landers and screw up more satellites and probes....

I posted a chart one time that showed success percentages of the all the various systems. I can't remember for sure, but I think the best anyone has ever done was a 98% success rate, and then that was the top tier of the various launch systems (including Russian proton / soyuz) and then it went down from there with China, India etc.

The space shuttle was finally canceled in part due to the reality of it just being too dangerous, on the numbers. Not sure what the percentage was, there were a LOT of launches and successful missions but honestly one failure too many (what was the total that didn't make it back, 3?).

So.. yes, Spacex will have failures.. but it's concerning they've had one so soon. It's that success ratio thing they need to be in that 98% category but that's averaged out over hundreds of launches, if they've lost one already then one just doesn't know at this point, what the reliability rate is.

They shouldn't be given up on, it should be fixed.

But also we cannot take a chance with human crews unless it's as solid as it can be. If ULA is safer, then that's how it has to be, gotta use ULA.

Also -- you're right, failures happen, but they're still a new company. It's just unfortunate it happened, satellite customers don't want to lose a payload for one thing (the satellite costs more than the rocket). It's like any other business. Think of airlines -- a crash really sets them back. More than one, or too many, can put one out of business.

Space flight is *hard*. Failure goes with the territory. You have to learn from each failure, and improve based upon that knowledge, just to stay in the game.

Yep. They've been doing great. Really what I think is that the gov should throw some money into it, like I said so far Spacex has all been on the cheap -- maybe, at least as far as air force and NASA is concerned, some more money should be put into spacex.

SpaceX losing this rocket, at this particular time is inconvenient for NASA and kinda bad for them as a company; but its something that is expected, and you have to be ready to deal with it and move forward.

Yep, hey I'm not writing them off I'm just saying the reality. Agent, they actually cannot have too many failures -- test rockets okay, but not payloads -- one or two more failures too early on will put them out of business.

That's why I say really the gov should get involved with it and put a bunch of money into it, really get this system working. Because we do need those engines and spacex, we can't rely on Russian engines alone, for national security reasons.

You always say "money". Its *TIME* that is the critical component; it takes a long time to design a new engine, test it, adapt it to its mission. You don't just walk down the street and say, "Hey, I needs me 500 guys and gals to come help build a rocket engine." If money could solve it, SpaceX would have been launching years ago.

Not sure what you mean, they have done quite a few launches already, they've been years in development already. They already had all their test launches. But yep, rocket science ain't easy.. this sets back everything -- the dragon crew vehicle, and the Falcon Heavy they were planning, and the self-landing stages. I think they need more funding, a lot more money, get things right and slow it down a bit.

It takes years to grow, money's important, but the US Congress can't write a check big enough to cause a new engine to come into existence by the end of the year, or even next year really.

Right, exactly. Merlin engines are good engines -- congress should put some serious money into it, make sure there aren't any problems, get it fully up to "code" so to speak. Would be a bad mistake to leave spacex to work it out on their own and maybe fail, the system clearly works but needs some more work maybe. (we still don't know what happened, I'm assuming some flaw in their process or design or a part flaw, but for all we know they may have just been unlucky here having their 2/100 failure too soon, statistically)

So yeah, both the US and the Russians have discovered that our cultural distaste for each other simply exceeds what we can be comfortable with. Thus, we'll go our separate ways;

Well it just is what it is -- regardless of how one feels about it, from a national security perspective there's been enough friction with Russia that yes we have to get American rockets.

Putin would do the same thing, he wouldn't be reliant on anything critical from the US, at this point.

About rockets failing and success rates.. this is all a reminder of HOW AMAZING the entire Apollo program was and that nasa team and all the contractors. (and, the MONEY was spent to get it right too)

That was in the 1960s. They only lost one crew, in that capsule fire on the ground. Then Apollo 13 had an emergency in space, and they fixed it in space.

But all those Saturn launches, with crew on them.. not one loss. Stellar performance and record.

I read an interview one time from a guy that worked with von braun from the start on up to apollo. He said the biggest thing the public doesn't realize is how much TESTING they did, and how many test failures there were. And that they did it "the german way" -- they were methodical, little step by little step, after each failure they'd go over every last little thing and process, on down to how pages are numbered on a clipboard.

And I know from other reading, that the Soviet program did that even more so -- American program was overall known for doing all the work on the drawing board and minimizing failures, whereas the soviets were more iterative design and not so sensitive to losses.

We weren't first into space, only because we were more cautious.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 05:08:54, edited 2 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 03 Jul 2015, 04:53:07

Buzz Aldrin says funding should be increased:

Dr. Buzz Aldrin served as lunar module pilot for Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing mission.

Buzz Aldrin: SpaceX Failure Shows We Need More Commercial Space Travel—Not Less

If the recent SpaceX rocket trouble had been a failure of a government launch, we would dramatically increase funding to find the problem, fix the issue, and get back to flying. NASA’s commercial crew and cargo program is our only U.S. option to get astronauts and supplies to the ISS. It must be treated the same way. Shaving off dollars of the NASA budget on this type of activity is simply not an option if we want to have an American human spaceflight program. NASA’s purchasing of commercial crew and cargo space services are proving to be a dramatic cost-savings to the taxpayer compared to traditional programs.

First of all, low Earth orbit can increasingly serve as an incubator for commercial activities. That could come in the form of private space stations, even the blossoming of public space tourism that can stretch all the way to my old stomping grounds — the Moon.
http://time.com/3945033/buzz-aldrin-spacex-commercial-space-travel/
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 03 Jul 2015, 12:08:16

Six... Saturn V... a dozen launches. You do realize the thing could have an inherent 10% failure rate and still not blow one of those up. Saturn V was an appropriate design for the mission it was built for. But few, and perhaps none, will ever do it that way again.

Humans have had decades of docking practice, building and maintaining large bodies in LEO, maintaining crews for long durations in LEO.

I predict, that *if* live humans leave the gravity well of Earth ever again, it'll be a staged set of launches to LEO, assembly in LEO, fueling in LEO, testing in LEO, followed by a launch from orbit to the destination. There might even be a boost to a high orbit step in there. Assembly in LEO removes so much of the logistical problems and risk of getting Bob from Texas City, TX to Alpha Base Mars. (hopefully with the idea of STAY, not go and return, go and return is beyond dumb).

I also, honestly, expect that the US won't be the one doing it, or in the drivers seat on an international effort. China is behind us on tech, but most of the knowledge is available publicly; and I suspect they have the willingness to accept "Go and Stay" as the mission. They are practicing the same drills we did a while back, but they know many of the mistakes that can be made before hand; and Russia/USSR honestly holds the undisputed record for orbital occupancy time anyway.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Fri 03 Jul 2015, 17:00:13

Sixstrings wrote:Buzz Aldrin says funding should be increased:

First of all, low Earth orbit can increasingly serve as an incubator for commercial activities. That could come in the form of private space stations, even the blossoming of public space tourism that can stretch all the way to my old stomping grounds — the Moon.
http://time.com/3945033/buzz-aldrin-spacex-commercial-space-travel/

Space tourism for the wealthy?

And Buzz Aldrin wants taxpayers to fund it?

Couldn't he at least have pretended there were going to be orbital factories?
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 04 Jul 2015, 04:21:10

Withnail wrote:And Buzz Aldrin wants taxpayers to fund it?

NASA doesn't get much funding actually, compared to the overall federal budget.

He's just saying to continue government support of private space endeavors, but it's not like they were going to cancel it anyway, but space stuff is always vulnerable and you just never know -- on a whim or in reaction to something or needing to find some extra budget dollars, congress could just cancel everything.

So people need to speak up when there's a setback, keep the funding.

More space, less war.

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Withnail » Sat 04 Jul 2015, 08:31:03

And how much space tourism is there going to be when the first rocket full of billionaires goes up like the Fourth of July?

Actually that would probably be the most popular television event in world history.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 18:16:57

This thread is about SpaceX corporation and whether space is easy or hard so I moved the pro/con moon landing debate over to the moon thread. Here it is for all of you to use to your hearts content, enjoy and have at it!

topic71550.html
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spacex reusable rocket test failure

Unread postby ennui2 » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 02:55:22

Seems that we've crossed a milestone, and Pstarr breaks another blood-vessel.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... sk/421584/
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 07:00:13

Good video of mission footage. Falcon 9 launches, deploys its payload of satellites, first stage booster reenters -- landing legs deploy -- lands on a dime, under rocket power, just like Buck Rogers:

SpaceX Falcon 9 Landing (With Interstellar Music) - Dec 21, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfdA4RVzFU

A Falcon 9 rocket launches from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on Monday

Cape Canaveral, Falcon 9 has landed:

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 08:26:45

The average person has no idea what this will actually mean. Hardware is expensive, fuel is cheap. Imagine how much it would cost to fly to Europe if every plane dropped pieces of itself in the ocean as it flew across the Atlantic never to be seen again.

McDonnell Douglas aerospace developed the first version of this technology in the early 1990's and then the government 'changed focus' and reusable space launch capability was thrown in the recycle bin. SpaceshipOne, SpaceX and Blue Origin all had to independently reinvent and perfect this technology twenty years after it was first tested, using budget that were tiny compared to what a real government development contract would look like.

https://youtu.be/TOsS4SzEWVU
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dissident » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 13:09:15

A great accomplishment. I hope they can scale up this approach. We are seeing reusable rocket technology for the first time. The Space Shuttle was nowhere near this economical.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 14:33:09

That is very Buck Rogers!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 21:26:55

I'd forgotten this thread was here, saw their recent successful recovery landing.

I'm still not convinced this works economically; but its better to have the capability and decide not to use it, than it is to realize you need it and can't do it. They won't really know the answer till their several launches down the road using the same engines.

And a lot of SpaceX activity is just building capability.

So grats to all that might read this little corner of the web!
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 16:37:50

SpaceX landing hailed as giant leap for space travel
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1223-spacex-20151223-story.html

It's so momentous, there should have been some kind of "that's one small step for man, one giant leap.." comments.

Spacex's next launch will be a weather satellite to measure ocean level rise:

SpaceX’s History-Making Launch Could Be Eclipsed By Its Next Mission

For its next mission, SpaceX will partner with NASA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the French Space Agency (CNES) to launch a satellite called Jason-3. It’s an ocean measurement satellite, meaning it will be used to measure the height of the ocean from space. In other words, over time, Jason-3 will be able to track global sea level rise.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/12/22/3734545/elon-musk-spacex-climate-change-nasa-noaa/

About this last mission, here's what I found impressive:

* That's gotta be the most complicated space mission any private company has conducted. Launch, then second stage to orbit, first stage lands itself, second stage deploys satellites.

* It deployed 11 satellites.

* This stuff is all computer controlled. Once they've got the software down and all that, and it appears they have, this whole system ought to be able to work like routine. Musk has said before that the biggest challenge with rocket science plumbing. Once these kinks get all worked it, this should be a reliable system overall. Certainly their engines seem to be good.

The super draco, first engine entirely 3d printed:

Little vid about the Dragon crew capsule interior:

https://youtu.be/xjSb_b4TtxI

Falcon Heavy animation:

https://youtu.be/4Ca6x4QbpoM

Interesting vid, Dragon capsule pad abort test. It launches with its retro rockets, parachutes down:

https://youtu.be/OpH684lNUB8?t=955
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 17:38:56

AgentR11 wrote:I'm still not convinced this works economically; but its better to have the capability and decide not to use it, than it is to realize you need it and can't do it. They won't really know the answer till their several launches down the road using the same engines.

I may be wrong, but I don't think these are new engines. There's several in the draco line. Newest as far as I know is the superdraco, and then they've got next gen dracos in the works.

These are probably the same engines they've already been using.

As for economics -- I'm sure Musk has done the math. They already launch stuff cheaper than anyone else can anyway, in the world, even before reusability. Once they're reusable, that's even lower launch cost (or more profit for them).

Competition wise, they need only be lowest cost in the world.

It's all good Agent -- there's no downside -- resuable rockets have arrived. First Blue Origin, then Musk apparently got perturbed that Bezos beat him to it, and Musk leaped ahead.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 17:47:35

pstarr wrote:Six, isn't momentous a bit hyperbolic? In both senses of the word lol

Nope.. it's momentous.. it's like Tanada said, most people don't realize how big a deal it is.

REUSABILITY has been the holy grail since the delta clipper was in development. And the space shuttle cost a fortune, but that was an attempt at reusability (partial). NASA started thinking about this after the Apollo missions. They tried going the spaceplane route. The next step was always *reusability*.

I'll state it again -- Spacex already launches payloads cheaper than anyone else in the world. Once those boosters and engines are reusable, then fuel is the greatest cost to it (other than the payloads).

Pstarr -- imagine if they had to build a new 757 for every flight, versus resusable aircraft. Do you get it, the cost difference there?

This is MOMENTOUS because getting the launch cost down very low means that space development will go exponential. It's the beginning of a new age.

It's MOMENTOUS because Spacex will be doing this with very large rockets, Falcon Heavy and then bigger Falcon designs down the road. High payload capacity, CHEAP launch cost. And these rockets can get stuff to the moon too, or Mars.

Blue Origin beat Musk to being first, but Spacex is a bigger deal. Blue Origin is space tourists, suborbital. Maybe small satellites if they develop a second stage.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Space X to launch Jason 3

Unread postby Cog » Sun 17 Jan 2016, 14:28:29

Jason 3 is a mission to launch a satellite into polar orbit for the purpose of measuring global sea levels to 4 centimeter accuracy. This is a joint NOAA and NASA mission.

Launch is scheduled at 12:42 pm CDT today. SpaceX will attempt to land the first stage of the rocket on a barge. Launch will take place at Vandenberg AFB.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Space X to launch Jason 3

Unread postby Cog » Sun 17 Jan 2016, 15:43:06

His company his rules. Why you hating on space exploration bro?

Update. Successful payload deployment to polar orbit of the Jason 3 satellite. The barge landing of the first stage rocket failed. More updates as they come available on why that failed.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Sun 17 Jan 2016, 19:10:00

When the Falcon heavy vehicle is unveiled, they are going to recover all the stages not just the first stage. That is a true game changer if they can make it work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ca6x4QbpoM

These are exciting times pstarr. Best be getting on board. The horse and buggy days are over.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Sun 17 Jan 2016, 19:35:32

Guns are so old fashioned. We need these. God Rods. Even the name itself sends a tingle up your leg doesn't it? :-D

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion