Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Europe: Green energy Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Biomass-to-Liquid biofuel plant opens in Germany

Unread postby vampyregirl » Sun 27 Apr 2008, 06:03:48

Under contract all BTL produced at the Frieburg plant will be sold to Shell for distribution.
BTL aka Sundiesel is created using the Fischer Tropsch process and is very similair to Shell GTL or Syndiesel produced from natural gas.
As far as I know there are no plans to sell Sundiesel outside of Europe at this time due to the high demand for Diesel fuel in Europe where the majority of new vehicles sold are Diesel.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Unread postby joewp » Sun 27 Apr 2008, 13:01:19

These biomass to liquid biofuel plants at least answer one question for me. Now I know what they plan to do with all the dead bodies of the starving poor, feed them into the BTL plants!

Soylent Fuel. You know it's coming.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Sun 27 Apr 2008, 13:08:06

joewp wrote:These biomass to liquid biofuel plants at least answer one question for me. Now I know what they plan to do with all the dead bodies of the starving poor, feed them into the BTL plants!

Then the plant would be in Africa or India, otherwise the cost of transporting the bodies would be prohibitive. :twisted:
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby joewp » Mon 28 Apr 2008, 12:57:41

DomusAlbion wrote:
joewp wrote:These biomass to liquid biofuel plants at least answer one question for me. Now I know what they plan to do with all the dead bodies of the starving poor, feed them into the BTL plants!

Then the plant would be in Africa or India, otherwise the cost of transporting the bodies would be prohibitive. :twisted:

Who said the starving poor had to be in Africa or India? 8O
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vampyregirl » Fri 09 May 2008, 04:00:03

In addition Iogen Corp, Royal Dutch Shell and Volkswagon Group have signed a letter of intent for cellulosic ethanol production in Germany.
Iogen operates a demonstration scale facility in Ottawa where cellulose ethanol is converted from biomass using enzyme technology.
www.iogen.ca for more information on the technolgy.
Iogen has produced cellulose ethanol for GAM racecars www.greenalternativemotorsports.com
and its product has been used succesfully by Shell blended with conventional gasoline.

Looks like Germany is becoming the center of new fuels production
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Economics of UK wind 'uncertain'

Unread postby dorlomin » Fri 09 May 2008, 07:40:13

link

Basicaly after Shell pulled out of the Kent coast windfarm and with the worlds largest windfarms costs doubling Centrica, a major UK energy firm is warning that the economics of windpower in the UK are deeply unclear.

The UK is pretty close to being one of the worlds prime wind power slots due to its location with a huge coastline and regular strong winds.

The costs are the same as we find in every industry, rising raw materials and energy costs. Inflation. Slow to the point of embarrasing the UK has dragged its feet on CO2 emisions as its huge loss of industry and move from coal to gas in the 80s meant on paper things looked good. Now the gas is going and the power demand rising meets the hungry demand for energy from round the world.

Unfortunetly we cannot fertilise the fields with the rhetorical bullshit we get from the government on this issue or global food prices would be in for a huge drop.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Economics of UK wind 'uncertain'

Unread postby cube » Fri 09 May 2008, 08:28:22

why wind power is ridiculously expensive: Capacity factor
The net capacity factor of a power plant is the ratio of the actual output of a power plant over a period of time and its output if it had operated at full nameplate capacity the entire time.

lets use Germany as an example:
wiki says in 2006

Annual Wind Power Generation (TWh) = 30.7 TWh
Installed windpower capacity (MW) = 20,622

Theoretical maximum energy production in one year if wind was 100% perfect
20,622MW x 24hr x 365days/1000/1000 = 180.6TWh

capacity factor of wind mills
30.7TWh/180.6TWh == 17%

ouch! That's $$$
///
you get different numbers with different nations. anyone have an explanation?
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Nano » Fri 09 May 2008, 10:14:55

A 17% capacity factor for wind is actually pretty good. The 'normal' capacity factor for wind that I've heard pop up now and then is 10%. So it appears that Ze Germans are doing quite well.
Nano
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby aahala2 » Fri 09 May 2008, 11:51:53

cube wrote:you get different numbers with different nations. anyone have an explanation?

Of course, wind varies.

Germany installed much of its capacity before the US did, and
the capacityof turbines have increased rather dramatically over the
last 5-8 years. Turbine capacity is positively related to the length
of the blades, therefore the height as well. Wind speeds and
the consistency of the speeds are almost universally higher the
further from ground level you get.

The capacity ratio of the entire existing US windforce in 2007 was
over 30%. Some of newer, larger turbines had capacity ratios exceeding 35%. These higher ratios can have significant downward
impact of average production costs.
aahala2
Peat
Peat

Unread postby energycity » Fri 09 May 2008, 12:24:48

dorlomin wrote:Unfortunetly we cannot fertilise the fields with the rhetorical bullshit we get from the government on this issue or global food prices would be in for a huge drop.

:-D

Yep, I can just see the multinationals racing in to bottle and market 'Rhetorical Bullshit'. I can think of a few folk just right for advertising it too. It is one of the only resources in the world that is virtually inexhaustible and never likely to peak! :roll:
energycity
Peat
Peat

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 09 May 2008, 13:32:29

Here's a video of the Fastcat North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm. Gives one a sense of scale, both of the size of the things and the huge amount of fossil fuel inputs that went into building them, and that will have to go into maintaining them as well.

Wonder when the economies of scale begin to taper off with WTs. Maybe we should be building them the size of the Sears Tower? :twisted:
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby cube » Fri 09 May 2008, 14:10:36

here's how you move a 5 mega-watt windmill, or at least the bottom section of just the hub!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mHnjb2wo1A

Whoever thinks we're going to be doing this kind of stuff post PO - I'd just like to know what type of recreational drugs you're taking because I'd like to have some of it too!

I wonder if they'll build larger windmills or did we just hit "peak wind power" :lol:
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DR_STU » Fri 09 May 2008, 17:18:01

Yeah, I guess we should just do nothing, even those things that have a chance of easing our transition to a lower energy/lower carbon future.
DR_STU
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Hagakure_Leofman » Fri 09 May 2008, 17:43:05

dorlomin wrote:Unfortunetly we cannot fertilise the fields with the rhetorical bullshit

lol! :lol:
Hagakure_Leofman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby cube » Sat 10 May 2008, 05:20:57

DR_STU wrote:Yeah, I guess we should just do nothing, even those things that have a chance of easing our transition to a lower energy/lower carbon future.
How much do you think it would cost to move something like that using battery powered trucks?

How much would a windmill cost if every truck, ship, construction equipment needed to produce a windmill from iron ore extraction to manufacturing and placement were ALL battery powered! :roll:

Do you still think this can be done without cheap oil?
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Twilight » Sat 10 May 2008, 07:25:30

Relax, that stuff will be the last stuff running. There aren't that many essential users of oil, when you consider that private motorists are not in that category.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 10 May 2008, 09:05:54

cube wrote:
DR_STU wrote:Yeah, I guess we should just do nothing, even those things that have a chance of easing our transition to a lower energy/lower carbon future.
How much do you think it would cost to move something like that using battery powered trucks?

How much would a windmill cost if every truck, ship, construction equipment needed to produce a windmill from iron ore extraction to manufacturing and placement were ALL battery powered! :roll:

Do you still think this can be done without cheap oil?

I kind of doubt shipping will ever be battery powered, at worst they will go back to sail/wind power and at best a small fission reactor is all any ship needs for power and freshwater.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Homesteader » Sat 10 May 2008, 09:17:05

cube wrote:here's how you move a 5 mega-watt windmill, or at least the bottom section of just the hub!

Whoever thinks we're going to be doing this kind of stuff post PO - I'd just like to know what type of recreational drugs you're taking because I'd like to have some of it too!

I wonder if they'll build larger windmills or did we just hit "peak wind power" :lol:

That was not reassuring at all. How in god's name are they supposed to do routine work on them 5 or 10 years down the road as they start showing their age during a north Atlantic winter when the wind is blowing 20 kts? etc, etc, etc. . .

But the soothing music was nice.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Homesteader » Sat 10 May 2008, 09:19:18

cube wrote:here's how you move a 5 mega-watt windmill, or at least the bottom section of just the hub!

No prob cube. Get a bunch of slaves and some logs. Just like how they built the pyramids. Besides, how many of those will the elites really need?
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby cube » Sat 10 May 2008, 09:29:31

Tanada wrote:...
I kind of doubt shipping will ever be battery powered, at worst they will go back to sail/wind power and at best a small fission reactor is all any ship needs for power and freshwater.
To be honest I have this theory that so long as society hasn't collapsed into the dark ages there will always be oil....but it will be mighty expensive. It will be reserved for either ultra critical functions like (farm tractors, police cars, military, etc...) and not for soccer moms to drive their SUV's.

Either the car of the future is powered by oil or there will be no cars period. Electric cars will never become viable.
yeah I know it's not a popular theory on this site.
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion