Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Bernie Sanders for President Pt. 3

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Bernie Sanders for President Pt. 2

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 11 Apr 2016, 19:27:24

Sixstrings wrote:I saw this on CNN, it's spun like Clinton is so far ahead in new york, "leads him by double digits:"

But from those earlier polls I looked at a few days or week ago, a 12 point gap is actually a significant gain for Bernie.

Clinton has got the black vote locked in. Bernie has just won 7 states in row, but they're all states that are mostly full of white people. Every time Bernie tries to compete with Hillary in a state with a significant minority population Hillary creams him.

Bro----you're down with Hillary, right my man?
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 11 Apr 2016, 20:14:19

Plantagenet wrote:
Sixstrings wrote:I saw this on CNN, it's spun like Clinton is so far ahead in new york, "leads him by double digits:"

But from those earlier polls I looked at a few days or week ago, a 12 point gap is actually a significant gain for Bernie.

Clinton has got the black vote locked in. Bernie has just won 7 states in row, but they're all states that are mostly full of white people. Every time Bernie tries to compete with Hillary in a state with a significant minority population Hillary creams him.

Bro----you're down with Hillary, right my man?
The question is why? What has Hillary ever really accomplished for minorities? Bernie has always worked for the poor regardless of color and actually walks the walk not just talk the talk.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 00:31:23

vtsnowedin wrote:...The question is why? What has Hillary ever really accomplished for minorities? Bernie has always worked for the poor regardless of color and actually walks the walk not just talk the talk.

Someone posted this comment on Naked Capitalism that might help explain things:

...an interview with Michelle Alexander (author of The New Jim Crow) where she argued that Bill’s campaign in 1992 was maybe the first presidential campaign where a white candidate made an effort to reach out to black voters and didn’t just send the message that the black community was a problem to be managed. Playing the saxophone with black voters, attending events at black churches, etc. She says these things were received extremely well and it’s painful for a lot of people to come to terms with how thoroughly they were betrayed by the Clintons.

It doesn’t sound too unlike the many Obama voters who claim in 2016 that his progressive agenda is simply thwarted by evil Republicans.
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 10:24:08

Oneaboveall wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:...The question is why? What has Hillary ever really accomplished for minorities? Bernie has always worked for the poor regardless of color and actually walks the walk not just talk the talk.

Someone posted this comment on Naked Capitalism that might help explain things:

...an interview with Michelle Alexander (author of The New Jim Crow) where she argued that Bill’s campaign in 1992 was maybe the first presidential campaign where a white candidate made an effort to reach out to black voters and didn’t just send the message that the black community was a problem to be managed. Playing the saxophone with black voters, attending events at black churches, etc. She says these things were received extremely well and it’s painful for a lot of people to come to terms with how thoroughly they were betrayed by the Clintons.

It doesn’t sound too unlike the many Obama voters who claim in 2016 that his progressive agenda is simply thwarted by evil Republicans.

I saw Bill Clinton speaking to a New York crowd this week crowing that when Hillary gets elected they would return to the "community reinvestment act" and expand it. Apparently they did not get the memo about how it destroys the finances of the borrowers along with collapsing the banking system.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 13:05:19

vtsnowedin wrote: Playing the saxophone with black voters, attending events at black churches, etc.....these things were received extremely well and it’s painful for a lot of people to come to terms with how thoroughly they were betrayed by the Clintons.

Clearly most black people don't think they were betrayed by the Clintons. The vast majority of black voters are backing Hillary---and the black vote is the main reason Hilalry is beating Bernie in the vote total and the delegate count.

If the Sanders campaign thinks it can win the black vote by attacking Bill then they have a lot more work to do.

GO BERNIE GO!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 18:08:37

Bernie is really upsetting corporate CEOs lately. First GE, now the CEO of Verizon says that Bernie is "contemptible" and "disconnected from reality:"

After Sanders spoke at a rally of striking Verizon workers Wednesday, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam lambasted the Democratic presidential candidate in a long LinkedIn post.

McAdam said Sanders' "uninformed views are, in a word, contemptible," and that the senator is "disconnected from reality."
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/13/technology/verizon-bernie-sanders/index.html

This was Bernie's speech at the Verizon strikers picket line:

Bernie Sanders Stands With And Gives Speech To Verizon Workers On Strike April 13th 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibvAnye3MgQ

Sanders railed against Verizon over their plans to cut employees' health insurance, jobs offshoring, not paying their fair share in taxes, and giving the CEO a raise to $20 million a year.

Also in the news, Senator Merkley from Oregon endorsed Sanders in a NYT oped, Bernie's first endorsement from a fellow senator:

Why I’m Supporting Bernie Sanders

Years later, my family and I still live in the same working-class community I grew up in. But America has gone off track, and the outlook for the kids growing up there is a lot gloomier today than 40 years ago.

Many middle-class Americans are working longer for less income than decades ago, even while big-ticket expenses like housing, health care and college have relentlessly pushed higher.

It is not that America is less wealthy than 40 years ago — quite the contrary. The problem is that our economy, both by accident and design, has become rigged to make a fortunate few very well off while leaving most Americans struggling to keep up.

And as economic power has become more concentrated, so too has political power. ...

It is time to recommit ourselves to that vision of a country that measures our nation’s success not at the boardroom table, but at kitchen tables across America. Bernie Sanders stands for that America, and so I stand with Bernie Sanders for president.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/opinion/why-im-supporting-bernie-sanders.html?_r=0

I saw him in MSNBC interviews, he listed numerous accomplishments and legislation Bernie was in the lead on, in the Senate.

edit: One other news item, Sanders will be flying to Rome tomorrow to speak at the Vatican.

It's been a bit of a controversy. They invited him because he's leading on the issue of income disparity and the environment and working people in the world, and that's a priority of the Pope and the Church.

But the Clinton campaign has been "fuming" and there's a bit controversy that the Catholic Church is seeming to endorse a presidential candidate.

But whatever, Pope Francis and Bernie Sanders are on the same page, I don't see anything wrong about him going and I don't think the Pope should feel pressured to walk it back. If he likes Bernie, then let him like Bernie, I like the Pope and Bernie so it's okay with me. :lol:

Maybe Hillary should change some views to be more for working people and the environment, if she'd like an invitation to speak at this Vatican conference too.

You can understand why they invited him. The event is an international conference on economic justice. Sanders is the guy who put the issue atop the agenda of the world’s most powerful nation. It makes sense.

On the other hand, it crossed so many lines of normal political etiquette that it left observers gaping, the conference’s own organizers openly feuding , the Hillary Clinton campaign quietly fuming..
http://forward.com/opinion/338490/what-the-vaticans-invitation-to-bernie-sanders-says-about-jews/
Last edited by Sixstrings on Wed 13 Apr 2016, 18:54:29, edited 10 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 18:18:46

Sixstrings wrote:After Sanders spoke at a rally of striking Verizon workers Wednesday, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam lambasted the Democratic presidential candidate

I would assume CEO McAdam is a Hillary supporter, like the Wall Street Banksters and most of the other billionaires and CEOs who run the USA.

I wonder if Verizon is one of the corporations who have given Hilalry millions in "speaking fees."

Its fascinating to see how the Ds have become more and more like the Rs.....i.e. they are both in the pocket of the wealthy and the corporate elites.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 18:40:35

Cher is switching from Hillary to Bernie

cher-bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-voting-support-endorses

This could be big. If Bernie can win over the wealthy elite in Hollywood like Cher and George Clooney, then the tide could be turning in favor of Bernie. Next we have to see if any of the news announcers and reporters on MSM TV new shows switch from Hillary to Bernie. Some favorable news coverage would really help ol' Bern.

Now Cher is feeling the Bern!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 18:52:56

Plantagenet wrote:Cher is switching from Hillary to Bernie

cher-bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-voting-support-endorses

This could be big. If Bernie can win over the wealthy elite in Hollywood like Cher and George Clooney, then the tide could be turning in favor of Bernie. Next we have to see if any of the news announcers and reporters on MSM TV new shows switch from Hillary to Bernie. Some favorable news coverage would really help ol' Bern.

Now Cher is feeling the Bern!

If I could turn back time.
I'd have her in her feathers
or a gypsies dress
and her father would shoot me.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 19:03:38

Graham Nash is going to appear at a rally for Bernie in Greenwich Village tomorrow.

Graham is for Bernie!

I wish I was back in NYC for that----should be a really great rally.

Meanwhile Hilalry is taking heat for her racist claim that black youth are "super-predators". I wonder if thats the kind of thing Hillary says to the banisters and Hedge Fund Managers and the corporate CEOS when she gives her secret speeches to them. It sure would explain why she wants to keep those speeches secret. :lol:

GO BERNIE GO
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 23:24:05

Plantagenet wrote:Now Cher is feeling the Bern!

Lol at these pics you post Plant, cracks me up. :lol:

I remember she had a nice comeback around '04ish, was popular in the clubs. I've always liked this one:

Cher Walking In Memphis (Dance Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPXPcTY25SM

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 23:56:36

Massive Sanders rally in New York City tonight, 27,000+:

FULL EVENT: Bernie Sanders,Tim Robbins, Rosario Dawson Rally in Washington Square Park (4-13-16)
https://youtu.be/vhMoEWgKyW4

They played this at the rally, Bruce Springsteen's "we take care of our own:"

I've been knocking on the door that holds the throne

I've been stumbling on good hearts turned to stone

Wherever this flag's flown
We take care of our own

Where're the eyes, the eyes with the will to see
Where's the hearts that run over with mercy

Where's the promise, from sea to shining sea
https://youtu.be/ibgZs5yH0ss

Washington Square Park tonight, then he's flying off to the Vatican tomorrow:

Bernie Sanders and Pope Francis are on the same page:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Bernie Sanders’s campaign trail hits the Vatican

what is Bernie Sanders, a man who calls himself a “not particularly religious” secular Jew, doing in the Holy See?

On the conference programme itself, he is scheduled to give a ten-minute address on Friday afternoon. ...

Vatican insiders suggest that maybe the academy chancellor, Argentine bishop Marcelo Sanchez Sorondo, will, in the end, set up an encounter between the presidential candidate and the pope.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/bernie-sanders-s-campaign-trail-hits-the-vatican-1.2609616
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 06:41:51

If the Pope said those things, he will answer for it.

Hebrews 10:25
not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Hebrew 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Psalms 14:1
14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 09:50:51

Cog wrote:Image

not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I am not a Catholic, but I know you should verify controversial statements by religious leaders before accepting internet memes. Turns out this one was made up.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/popeatheist.asp
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 09:55:11

My disclaimer was if he said it.

Although the Pope and the Catholic church says and does many things not to be found in Holy Scripture.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 16:53:48

Tanada wrote:I am not a Catholic, but I know you should verify controversial statements by religious leaders before accepting internet memes. Turns out this one was made up.

Thanks for pointing that out Tanada, I actually thought that one sounded strange, and hard to believe the Pope said that. (I just did a search on "bernie sanders pope francis," I don't agree per se with those quotes)

Like competition -- of course we need competition in the economy and society and we need captialism, but I would just say there can be a more *moral* kind of capitalism.

And more thinking about working class living standards, and the poor (there's a line between enabling and I get that, but yet we can't have people homeless in rags on the streets and a really poor country either.. and also, many homeless are mentally ill or genuinely disabled and it's not their fault).. we could have more thinking about the future, the planet, and society and future generations.

Bernie and Francis are on the same page, when it comes to income disparity, peace in the world, the working class and poor, the environment, etc.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 17:09:23

Okay we're off into religion and theology, but maybe it's on topic since Bernie is flying to the Vatican right now.

From Tanada's link, the actual correct "the pope sounds like an atheist" quote:

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class. We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all.

And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: We need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: We will meet one another there."

I'm not a theology expert, but from what I know, isn't that a bit off? I like it though. :lol:

I've always liked the thing about unitarian univeralists, how they think everyone is saved and they're just on a path and will get there eventually. (or that's how I understand it, someone correct me if I'm messing up unitarian universalist beliefs)

Anyhow, the point is that the Pope loves everybody and thinks everyone can do good even if they're an atheist or belong to another faith, and what the Pope said was he'll "meet them there," in doing good.

P.S. Reading it again, I think he's actually theologically correct, when he says this:

if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter,

He's just saying that Catholics shouldn't just hang around other Catholics and Christians and have nothing to do with anyone unless they'll convert.

I think he's implying that being open and accepting creates a "culture of encounter" -- so by implication, there's a chance that atheist the Catholic is hanging around with, may convert.

Anyhow, it's a good message.. not judgmental.. I like it. I've always liked the Dalai Lama too. Someone like the Pope CAN'T be a judgmental there-is-only-one-church-and-it's-the-catholic-church type. The Pope works with all the other world religions, and such.

Am I mistaken, or did the Catholic church some years ago take the part out that non catholics aren't saved?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 19:13:11

Sixstrings wrote:Okay we're off into religion and theology, but maybe it's on topic since Bernie is flying to the Vatican right now.

From Tanada's link, the actual correct "the pope sounds like an atheist" quote:

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class. We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all.

Thats not atheism. Thats what is called "Universalism", i.e. the belief that god loves everybody so everybody universally will be saved and go to heaven.

The Universalist faith is about extinct today---- the last remaining churches preaching the Universalist faith merged decades ago with the Unitarians to form the Unitarian-Universalist creed, also known as the UUs.

The UUs are a pretty fun church---the last UU sermon I went to was all about the religious teachings of the Star Wars movies, i.e. "THE FORCE". :lol:

GO BERNIE GO!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 00:37:35

The Catholic Church believes that Tradition is equal to Scripture. Hence, this Catechism.

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it. (CCC 846)

Since the only people that the Catholic Church recognizes as qualified to administer baptism is a priest or deacon, then it follows there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church. At least in their opinion.

My opinion is what the Scripture actually says on the matter.
1st Timothy 2:5
5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

I see no mention of priests. Also the concept that a church saves you is not to be found in Scripture.
Eph 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 03:47:19

Cog wrote:Image

He doesn't seem to concerned, maybe you should go and correct him, you obviously know enough to judge him. 8)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion