Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Humans are not intelligent.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Humans are not intelligent.

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 09:10:19

Keep it a secret so that you are better prepared than your neighbor. I'm quite serious about that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 09:51:51

I dunno why you are so desperate to stay alive anyway. Its pretty obvious that life is entirely pointless and has been so for everyone that ever lived. Since death is inevitable nothing>nothing = nothing. People run around desperately trying to do things in there short lives, but the result is always the same > nothing.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:01:46

A good steak and an excellent imported beer are reason enough to go on living. The smile of a child, the love of a good woman. All of these things are worthy.

If you can find no joy in life, then I would say knowledge of doom has done you a bad turn. You would be better off without such knowledge.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:19:16

Nonsense, the moment you stop eating the steak its as if you never ate it. Same with the child, the woman and the beer.

There really is no value in existing at all, we just do it because we are programmed by our genes to survive as long as possible.

I can prove to you that existence is completly pointless fairly easily.

However assuming existence does have value (it doesn't) you think existing in a world without electricity, transportation or reliable food and water will be fun?
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:28:03

Taking a 21st century man back to the 14th century would not be fun. But people in the 14th century had fun because that was the life they were born into. Not the majority of them for sure. Struggling for your daily meal was not fun. But people still had love, drink, a warm fire. Humans are very adaptable.

Fun or happiness does not depend on modern conveniences. Sex is still a fun activity no matter how poor you are. A look at the world's population would tell you we enjoy it quite a lot.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:33:09

Fun is something that occurs in the moment of 'now', there was no fun in 14th century because for all intents and purposes it never existed.

Its the same reason all our lives are entirely pointless everything you have ever done has essentially been destroyed by the passing of time. And one day you will feel nothing at all.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:35:09

I can assure the 14th century did exist. There are still structures existing from that time. As well as written records. Your nihilism is a very good reason why certain people should stay away from doomy thinking.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:36:07

Okay now go back to a 14th century lifestyle, but with no trees, not enough horses to bring in the crops and a population 100 times above that which is sustainable.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:38:57

I can look outside my window right now and see trees in abundance. I can enjoy life right now even if I thought we were all doomed(which I do not). I don't wallow in self-pity for myself or the planet. That is what nihilists do. An unhappy lot they are.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:46:07

Yawn
Its pretty clear that there isn't any value to anyones life's when you really analyse how time passes. You only experience one thing at any moment, and the moment is constantly moving towards your inveitable death. Essentially all the old you's where you had a good time doing x or y are already dead. And when your dead its exactly the same as if you never existed.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:50:11

I predict that everyone of us will be dead by 2025 and it will be exactly the same as if we never existed after that point.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:54:02

I don't fear death. But while I'm here, I intend the make my existence as pleasurable and comfortable as possible. Getting sucked into doomerism. Particularly the fast crash type of doomerism is a sure way to annihilate the joy out of life. Been there and done that before you ever joined this board. My way is better.

Get out and talk a walk Tikib. You will enjoy the experience and appreciate the beauty that surrounds us everywhere you look.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:58:37

Your in denial like most people I talk to about this. Life has no value at all.

I have been to funerals where people said things like "its a shame he's gone but he had a great life" This is a meaningless statement theres no bank of good experiences, or happiness built up over ones life. Your life is destroyed moment by moment.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:00:46

None so blind as those that will not see.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:01:32

Ah, an old, old debate. For me the best answer came from the below book. Self published by a young guy it's a much philosophy of life as anything else. He's a bit of a nut but you need to be to engage in these discussions.

My VERY ROUGH recollection of his logic was thus (don't listen to me, read the book, or first 1/3 anyway.)

"Life is pointless and we are all going to die so the only logical solution is suicide. Except it's not because life (happy or sad) is something, and if you die you have nothing. If life is worth nothing then there is nothing to be gained by ending it." He said it more eloquently.

My take is pretty similar. The "nothing" will come sure enough. In the meantime there is something. That something is all you have. But it changes and morphs and becomes something else. 35 years ago I was in abject misery. Hated my life, felt imprissioned, WAS imprissioned, without hope. Now I'm so damn happy I disgust myself. Shameful really. Long trail. Maybe things will reverse once again. Maybe twice. I never like leaving a movie half done, even a bad movie.

Sea-Steading: A Life of Hope and Freedom on the Last Viable Frontier

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Steading-Lif ... 0595387586
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:02:00

I've enjoyed this conversation Tikib but now I must leave now and do one of those things I do not find pleasurable. Mow the grass around my house. No one will appreciate that work but I don't want anyone to say at my funeral, "He had a crappy yard"

You have a nice day.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:07:04

There will not be anyone at your funeral the world is about to collapse. And you will be dead, the world will not exist from your POV
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:09:05

Newfie wrote:Ah, an old, old debate. For me the best answer came from the below book. Self published by a young guy it's a much philosophy of life as anything else. He's a bit of a nut but you need to be to engage in these discussions.

My VERY ROUGH recollection of his logic was thus (don't listen to me, read the book, or first 1/3 anyway.)

"Life is pointless and we are all going to die so the only logical solution is suicide. Except it's not because life (happy or sad) is something, and if you die you have nothing. If life is worth nothing then there is nothing to be gained by ending it." He said it more eloquently.

My take is pretty similar. The "nothing" will come sure enough. In the meantime there is something. That something is all you have. But it changes and morphs and becomes something else. 35 years ago I was in abject misery. Hated my life, felt imprissioned, WAS imprissioned, without hope. Now I'm so damn happy I disgust myself. Shameful really. Long trail. Maybe things will reverse once again. Maybe twice. I never like leaving a movie half done, even a bad movie.

The idea that 'your' happy is a nonsense because there is no 'you' consciousness is a process.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:14:13

I am not telling anyone how to live there lives, but my view is that life is entirely pointless. We just try and kid ourselves that enjoyment has value so we can follow our biological programming which tells us to keep on living.

Once you try and measure happiness/sadness you find its impossible for various reasons including the 'destruction' of the past. And if you can't measure them how do decide what actions to persue?
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:50:29

Newfie wrote:Ah, an old, old debate. For me the best answer came from the below book. Self published by a young guy it's a much philosophy of life as anything else. He's a bit of a nut but you need to be to engage in these discussions.

The reason why its an old debate IMHO is because life has no value but people want it to.
Similar to the argument for gods existence.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion