Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Rock Diplomacy

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Rock Diplomacy

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 03:11:44

Rolling Stones play free concert today at Havana's Ciudad Deportivo sports center. Thousands gathering and sleeping around the Stadium to make sure they get in. Many showed up yesterday.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Rock Diplomacy

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 09:32:02

The UK never cut off diplomatic relations with Cube nor forbid its citizens to visit or do business with Cuba. This just sounds like regular concert activity to me.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 09:49:08

DAMN! Got so excited when I saw the title. Wrong kind of rock!
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 12:06:47

Its only rock and roll but I like it
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 14:29:27

The Cuba gig may have been problematic had relations not improved. I'm sure many of the contractors working this tour are US-based.

América Latina Olé Tour 2016 is the current Latin America concert tour by The Rolling Stones, which began on 3 February 2016 in Santiago and makes stops in La Plata, Montevideo, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Porto Alegre, Lima, Bogotá, Mexico City before it ends in Havana with one free show on 25 March 2016.[1].....

.....On 17 September 2015, the Spanish newspaper El Mundo revealed that the Rolling Stones were (at the time) in final negotiations to perform for the very first time in Cuba, at the end of March 2016 (on 20 or 21 March). The location would be Havana and the venue the Estadio Latinoamericano (Latin American Stadium), a facility with capacity for 55,000 people. Keith Richards confirmed the negotiations with the Cubans, adding that Cuba had taken it seriously, following the opening of embassies in the United States and the Pope's (then) upcoming visit to Havana. It was also that The Rolling Stones's bassist Darryl Jones had influenced the decision to play in Cuba....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9r ... _Tour_2016
Last edited by GHung on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 14:36:38, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 14:35:59

GHung wrote:
The Cuba gig may have been problematic had relations not improved. I'm sure many of the contractors working this tour are US-based.

That wasn't the issue. Read Tanada's post above. The UK had no sanctions on Cuba and the Rolling Stones are Brits.

The problem was communist disapproval of rock and roll as decadent and dangerous to the morals of good upstanding communists.

For decades the Cuban communist regime banned the playing of any music by the Rolling Stones or other western bands on Cuban state radio (which is the only kind of radio there is in Cuba) and refused to let them into the country. The USSR had the same kind of ban on western Rock and Roll for many years, and as a good client state the Cubans adopted the Russian's ban on western rock and roll music, and then kept the ban in place long after the USSR itself disappeared into the dustbin of history.

Policies are shifting in Cuba since Fidel retired and his brother Raul took over as dictator of Cuba a few years ago. The Cuban communist party ban on western rock and roll is now officially ended, and the Rolling Stones can now obtain entry visas from the Cuban government to play a concert in Havana.

Wish I could be there…….should be a great concert.
Last edited by Plantagenet on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 14:42:55, edited 1 time in total.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 14:41:52

As I should have said so that the feeble-minded could grok things, it doesn't matter where the band comes from. Many of their tour contractors are American companies., and the producers of the videos apparently being made at the concert may be US corporations, and subject to all sorts of legal/copyright issues, etc..

Lawyers, Plant,, LAWYERS AND LOTS OF MONEY INVOLVED.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 14:57:16

GHung wrote:As I should have said so that the feeble-minded could grok things, it doesn't matter where the band comes from. Many of their tour contractors are American companies., and the producers of the videos apparently being made at the concert may be US corporations, and subject to all sorts of legal/copyright issues, etc..

I shouldn't have to point this out to the feeble minded so they can grok things, but little to no money is involved in the Havana Concert. The Rolling Stones are playing a free concert. That means no ticket sales and no money.

As to your concern about US lawyers getting their knickers in a twist about the Stones playing in Havana, they have no power over the Cuban government and the Stones themselves have probably already told them to stuff it anyway.

Now that the Cuban Communist Party has changed their position on allowing rock and roll to be heard in Cuba, the Stones are going. IMHO its great that the Stones want to play a benefit concert in Havana ---- good for them. I hope they play "Street Fighting Man" and dedicate it to the 80+ yr old Castro Brothers and their very loyal retainers in the Cuban Communist Party!

Everywhere I hear the sound of marching, charging feet, boy
'Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy
….
Hey! Think the time is right for a palace revolution
'Cause where I live the game to play is compromise solution
….
Hey! Said my name is called disturbance
I'll shout and scream, I'll kill the king, I'll rail at all his servants
Well, what can a poor boy do
Except to sing for a rock 'n' roll band
'Cause in sleepy London town
There's just no place for a street fighting man

Up Yours, elderly Communist prudes----the Stones are coming to HAVANA to play some of that decadent western rock and roll music!!!!!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 15:16:01

No money involved because tickets are free? Jeez, Plant, you're not only an obtuse ass, you're a simpleton. These concerts NEVER occur without A LOT of money exchanging hands; many sub-contractors involved that DON'T WORK FOR FREE (I know since I used to be one). Also, if there are recording rights, they are likely subject to US laws. Last I heard, the Stones record on a Universal Music Group label, based in Santa Monica. I'm not saying that things haven't changed in Cuba; just that the normalisation of relations with the US was likely a key factor.

I won't argue with you Plant. You're one of the primary reasons I don't bother to frequent this site anymore. I certainly have better things to do. Sandwich finished. Back to work, and people who make sense.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 16:06:15

GHung wrote:No money involved because tickets are free? [smilie=flipando.gif] [smilie=5bomb.gif] [smilie=angry4.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif]

????????

I didn't say no money was involved. I simply pointed out that when the concert is free, no one buys tickets. I don't understand why you don't get that. Have you never been to a free concert? There is no money involved .... you simply walk in and the band plays for free. Its great!

With regard to the Stones Cuba concert, obviously there are travel expenses and ancillary costs involved for the Stone's own staff and support crew. These expenses will be paid by the Rolling stones. The Stones can well afford to put on a benefit concert in Havana, and I applaud them for it.

Get it now?

PS: Once again you've lost control of yourself over simple discussion. Apparently you always lose your temper when you have discussions.... As a neutral observer, I must tell you that your irrational anger and short fuse isn't normal---in fact it suggests you may have mental problems, in particular the syndrome known as "explosive disorder". Have you seen a doctor and perhaps been prescribed medication for this problem? If so, please tell your physician that it isn't working---that you are still losing control of yourself.

Have a great day!

CHEERS!
Last edited by Plantagenet on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 16:22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 16:18:52

Plant said; "I didn't say no money was involved."

...but Plant said in its immediately preceding post; "...but little to no money is involved in the Havana Concert."

Can't keep your stories straight? And, yes, lying sacks generally get my gander up. It's a fairly normal reaction; something I doubt you understand.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 16:36:56

GHung wrote:Plant said; "I didn't say no money was involved."

...but Plant said in its immediately preceding post; "...but little to no money is involved in the Havana Concert."

Can't keep your stories straight?

Your stories aren't straight.

The phrase "little to no money" doesn't mean no money.

The facts are pretty clear here---you misquoted me and then got upset over your own misquote and now you want to pretend that "little to no money" is the same as "no money" when its not.

Again---your claim that I said no money was involved is a lie. I said "little to no" money was involved. Yes, the Stones will have to pay their own travel and the costs for their support staff to put on the free benefit show---but for them that is small change. For the concert goers no money is involved---its a free concert.

To summarize---first you misquoted me, then you got angry about what was said in the misquote you made, and then you tried to pretend that what you said in your misquote is the same as what I originally said when they clearly aren't the same. ---from start to end that was one of the dumbest series of posts I've seen here at PO.Com in a long time. :lol:

CHEERS!
Last edited by Plantagenet on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 17:37:57, edited 1 time in total.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolph9 » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 17:14:22

Shouldn't these geezers be dead already?
dolph9
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 17:27:47

dolph9 wrote:Shouldn't these geezers be dead already?

Which Geezers do you mean? The Castro Brothers or the Rolling Stones?
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 18:42:26

@Plant - I hope you live alone.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 20:07:36

I hope your knowledge of basic English and your reading comprehension skills both improve.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 20:38:37

Plantagenet wrote:
dolph9 wrote:Shouldn't these geezers be dead already?

Which Geezers do you mean? The Castro Brothers or the Rolling Stones?

Both should be dead already. Though I am not quite sure with Fidel, has anybody heard him or seen him? 8)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 21:18:54

Why should they be dead? Not every rock star dies at 28 & not every dictator gets bumped off by his security. The Castro brothers could have another decade or more, the Stones are made of something extraordinary, might go another 20 years.

(On the G vs Planty argument, there used to be an issue where travellers with Cuban stamps in their passports would face all manner of grief trying to enter the USA. I suspect this no longer happening means people like the Rolling Stones don't have to risk being banned from the USA to do a free concert in Cuba. Other than that these guys are absolutely loaded, packing 50,000 people at $100+++ a ticket whenever they feel inclined. The costs on this will be a pittance to them. )
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 25 Mar 2016, 22:46:24

Actually it was diplomats and a lot of money involved, including a financial backer.

Putting on such a huge event in such a location was a diplomatic as well as a logistical challenge.

“Getting this concert together has been a massive enterprise,” said Tim Cole, the British ambassador in Havana who helped to facilitate contacts with the Cuban government. “The Stones’ team have negotiated all the permissions, brought in everything they need, including the stage, in 56 sea containers and in just a few weeks built the whole thing. That’s impressive in a country where foreign businessmen can sometimes take years to get up and running. But it shows you can get things done and bodes well for the future.”

In Cuba, they have managed to put on a free concert thanks to the sponsorship of Gregory Elias, a 62-year-old entrepreneur from Curaçao.

On their website, the band acknowledged the support of their financial backer while looking forward to a spectacular concert. “We have performed in many special places during our long career but this show in Havana is going to be a landmark event for us,” they said.

link

Plantagenet, leave the diagnosis to professionals. Anger is normal, especially in 'discussions' with you. Your attempt to pathologize normal angry responses to your trollishness, and outright attempts to rewrite what you actually posted, is indicative of a failed argument.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 00:26:19

Plantagenet wrote:
GHung wrote:As I should have said so that the feeble-minded could grok things, it doesn't matter where the band comes from. Many of their tour contractors are American companies., and the producers of the videos apparently being made at the concert may be US corporations, and subject to all sorts of legal/copyright issues, etc..

I shouldn't have to point this out to the feeble minded so they can grok things, but little to no money is involved in the Havana Concert. The Rolling Stones are playing a free concert. That means no ticket sales and no money.

As to your concern about US lawyers getting their knickers in a twist about the Stones playing in Havana, they have no power over the Cuban government and the Stones themselves have probably already told them to stuff it anyway.

Now that the Cuban Communist Party has changed their position on allowing rock and roll to be heard in Cuba, the Stones are going. IMHO its great that the Stones want to play a benefit concert in Havana ---- good for them. I hope they play "Street Fighting Man" and dedicate it to the 80+ yr old Castro Brothers and their very loyal retainers in the Cuban Communist Party!

Everywhere I hear the sound of marching, charging feet, boy
'Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy
….
Hey! Think the time is right for a palace revolution
'Cause where I live the game to play is compromise solution
….
Hey! Said my name is called disturbance
I'll shout and scream, I'll kill the king, I'll rail at all his servants
Well, what can a poor boy do
Except to sing for a rock 'n' roll band
'Cause in sleepy London town
There's just no place for a street fighting man

Up Yours, elderly Communist prudes----the Stones are coming to HAVANA to play some of that decadent western rock and roll music!!!!!

Err...wasn't it termed n...er music once upon a time?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics