Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Iraq Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Blair blames France for Iraq war

Unread postby EnergySpin » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 17:11:11

This is interesting ..... I think we might see some really BIG developments in the next few days. Everyone is trying to blame it to someone else ..... A pull-out maybe?
"Nuclear power has long been to the Left what embryonic-stem-cell research is to the Right--irredeemably wrong and a signifier of moral weakness."Esquire Magazine,12/05
The genetic code is commaless and so are my posts.
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rogerhb » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 17:18:22

Blair has got an easier opt out than Bush. Blair merely needs to step down for Brown to take over, Blair has previously indicated he would not stand another term. (perhaps we couldn't stand another term of him?),

Bush on the other hand has a harder job, he either needs to stand down due to health reasons, get assassinated or impeached.

Hey, I'd rather be Blair.

Don't forget John Howard in all of this, he is up to his neck in it as well.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jackal42 » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 18:58:07

Oh france was the reason for invasion, not WMD!?.
[smilie=XXbirdman.gif]

(OFFTOPIC: man did they have a red face when they couldnt find all those WMD's that america sold iraq!)
jackal42
Peat
Peat

Unread postby EnergySpin » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 19:07:10

jackal42 wrote:Oh france was the reason for invasion, not WMD!?.
[smilie=XXbirdman.gif]

I knew that these French characters were behind Iran,Iraq,Yoko, stale bread, peak oil, global warming, bird flu!
"Nuclear power has long been to the Left what embryonic-stem-cell research is to the Right--irredeemably wrong and a signifier of moral weakness."Esquire Magazine,12/05
The genetic code is commaless and so are my posts.
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Euric » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 23:34:24

EnergySpin wrote:
jackal42 wrote:Oh france was the reason for invasion, not WMD!?.
[smilie=XXbirdman.gif]

I knew that these French characters were behind Iran,Iraq,Yoko, stale bread, peak oil, global warming, bird flu!

Don't forget the euro!
Euric
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Longsword » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 23:46:50

rogerhb wrote:Blair has got an easier opt out than Bush. Blair merely needs to step down for Brown to take over, Blair has previously indicated he would not stand another term. (perhaps we couldn't stand another term of him?),

I concur. Remember that the public opinion's opposition for the Iraqi war in UK was and is HUGE. I was living in UK at the time, and I remember the enormous demonstrations. If the country had a half-decent opposition, Blair would have been out of power there and then.

UK pullout would be domestically easy, and perhaps would even bolster New Labour popularity. Internationally? I doubt Blair would dare to upset Washington unless he was utterly desperate. I think Bush already has plans for the UK soldiers in stirring up trouble with Iran.
Longsword
Peat
Peat

Impeach Blair over Iraq - Michael Rose

Unread postby rogerhb » Sun 12 Feb 2006, 16:13:27

Impeach Blair over Iraq
Blair should be impeached

This government, who are willing to lead us into a war, must also be willing to take responsibility for those actions

I've got alot of time for Michael Rose, he did an excellent job in Bosnia given the conditions, and gave Wes Clark a good slamming for
(a) wearing a Serbian General's hat
(b) trying to start WWIII by racing for the airfield that the Russians managed to get to first.

He commentates on BBC World quite a bit. If you hark back to the Downing Street Memos, remember the Chiefs-of-Staff were worried about being prosecuted for the war and wanted to make sure the gov went down with them if they did.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Impeach Blair over Iraq - Michael Rose

Unread postby Novus » Sun 12 Feb 2006, 16:52:19

You don't have to Impeach him. Just vote no confidence.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Impeach Blair over Iraq - Michael Rose

Unread postby rogerhb » Sun 12 Feb 2006, 16:55:53

.... and prosecute.
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

UK Newsnight camera with 101st Airborne in Iraq

Unread postby julianj » Wed 18 Oct 2006, 18:58:05

Tonight's Newsnight (FYI heavyweight news analysis TV programme in the UK with legendarily combative anchorman Jeremy Paxman) had a report on Iraq with a cameraman/photographer embedded with the US 101st Airborne in a town in the Sunni area north of Tikrit and Baghdad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/n ... efault.stm

(NOTE: You want the programme which starts with a tedious discussion of leaked Conservative tax cuts - it takes a little while for tonight's upload to supplant the previous one)

Why is this worthy of note:

It shows that the US soldiers, in a compound with Iraqi Army, and Officials, get hand grenades thrown at them *from inside the secure compound* and can't find out who did this.

During a firefight an American gets very irate because he hears over the radio an Iraqi officer ordering his troops not to return fire on the insurgents.

Also they investigate a factory zone, which they are taking incoming fire from (outside the secure zone) and find 4 Iraqi police, who deny they have seen/heard anything (maybe they were the insurgents?)

Then we get in a panel discussion the UK armed forces minister Adam Ingram, IMO, bullshitting his head off about what's going on.
Lord Garden (ex Air Chief Marshal) makes more sense, although I notice he has got more balls since Gen Dannatt told the truth a few days ago.

What I am trying to elucidate, is that if this is the state of things, where the 101st Airborne can't be safe in its own compound, and the Iraqi police, army and civil officials, are apparently hostile, then there is little chance of the "Iraqis standing up and the US standing down".

I guess that you in the US will never see this report. It doesn't cast the 101st in an unfavourable light. But I feel that it shows how deep Iraqi resistance is. Presumably everyone in the secure compound is supposed to be on your side. Yet someone threw those grenades, nobody betrayed them, and the US forces end up arresting the Iraqi army.

This is the very definition of an unwinnable guerrilla war.
julianj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: UK Newsnight camera with 101st Airborne in Iraq

Unread postby rogerhb » Wed 18 Oct 2006, 19:21:42

Do you get the idea that the US may not be wanted in Iraq?
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Thu 19 Oct 2006, 01:51:13

rogerhb wrote:Do you get the idea that the US may not be wanted in Iraq?

When the people who are supposed to be your friends are throwing grenades at you, just imagine what the people who really hate you are thinking.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Jack » Thu 19 Oct 2006, 09:05:29

Interesting - as you suggest, we haven't seen any of this.

And then there's the Camp Falcon ammo dump explosion. We heard one brief report on October 11 - and all reports were word-for-word the same. After that, not one word in print. Some very biased reports from non-mainstream sources suggest a loss of a billion dollars in ordnance, along with significant casualties - but who knows?
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Zardoz » Fri 20 Oct 2006, 02:09:32

There have been other stories about so-called friendlies coming under deep suspicion. We have no chance of "success" (using the conventional Fox News-style definition of the word) in that hellhole. We're doomed to failure.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby julianj » Sat 21 Oct 2006, 17:02:01

I found the actual report on the Guardian's website (apparently it is a Guardian Films/Newsnight co-production) so you can download it yourself (it is in Flash 8 format).

Sean Smith The Real Iraq
julianj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Iraq: The Hidden Story

Unread postby Lokutus » Sun 22 Oct 2006, 03:42:33

Iraq: The Hidden Story

50 minute video by a Brit journalist trying to find out what's really happening. There's a nice US helicopter attack on a crowd after minute 33.

Watch this and the 655K dead estimate sounds plausible.
What will arrive first? Peak Oil or the Second Coming? My money is now on the latter.
Lokutus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby skiwi » Sun 22 Oct 2006, 08:12:31

Jack wrote:Interesting - as you suggest, we haven't seen any of this.

And then there's the Camp Falcon ammo dump explosion. We heard one brief report on October 11 - and all reports were word-for-word the same. After that, not one word in print. Some very biased reports from non-mainstream sources suggest a loss of a billion dollars in ordnance, along with significant casualties - but who knows?

Like this [url=http://www.libertyforum.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news_news&Number=295002651#Post295002651]Another Disastrous Coverup

Forward Base Falcon Disaster [/url]
Let us make him who shall nourish and sustain us. What shall we do to be invoked; to be remembered in the earth.
We have tried with our first creatures but we could not make them venerate us.
So let us try to make obedient respectful beings who shall
skiwi
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Iraq: The Hidden Story

Unread postby dukey » Sun 22 Oct 2006, 10:34:44

John Snow,
channel 4 news every night. Lot of respect for him.
dukey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby julianj » Sun 22 Oct 2006, 13:57:35

Surely the US media couldn't keep a casualty list as large as rumoured by Skiwi's links quiet? What about mobile phones and milbloggers?
julianj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion