Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

A Crude Awakening on Sundance now

Unread postby perdition79 » Fri 07 Sep 2007, 01:17:30

The thread title says it all. 12:35 pm EDT on the Sundance channel. Sorry I couldn't post it earlier, just got home from work.
http://www.thepeoplescube.com/

"We are building a religion; we are building it bigger. We are widening the corridors and adding more lanes."
Cake - Comfort Eagle
perdition79
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: A Crude Awakening on Sundance now

Unread postby Offshore » Fri 07 Sep 2007, 02:39:56

Post-peak Maracaibo = Water World

Post-peak Baku = Tarkovsky's Stalker
Offshore
Lignite
Lignite

Re: A Crude Awakening on Sundance now

Unread postby perdition79 » Fri 07 Sep 2007, 02:55:47

Good documentary. It's much less sugar-coated than "End of Suburbia" and even included a good portion on resource wars. Kind of disappointing that they didn't get into the Iraq War - Petroeuro angle, or the WWI - Basra angle.

"We are building a religion; we are building it bigger. We are widening the corridors and adding more lanes."
Cake - Comfort Eagle
perdition79
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash

Unread postby teky » Thu 11 Oct 2007, 08:15:54

I heard about this film! I also heard that is coming to the UK next month!! I am looking forward to see it. I am so glad this issue is getting the mainstream attention it deserves because it proves what the so-called’ War on Terror’ is really about. The true reasons for conflict were based on the lack of oil reserves in rich countries and political interests rather than on those which were presented to us.
teky
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Grifter » Thu 11 Oct 2007, 09:30:38

I bought it off LATOC because I felt guilty after Matt had a go at carlhole for not paying for it.

I lent it to a guy from work after he started talking about oil depletion(well kind of). He wants more info now. Must be good. I'm not telling him to visit LATOC though, he might end up like me. :roll:

shannymara wrote:Edit: The scenes of the abandoned oil fields made me cry. Very disturbing.

Disturbing though they were it gave me an eerie kind of spooky feeling.

Good film.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Thu 11 Oct 2007, 09:46:50

My mom was visiting last week and it "coincidently" arrived from Netflix and we sat down to watch it as a family.

"Yep, the party is over." she said.

Later we talked about her kitchen remodel...

She is a person who would "get it" but bridging that gap between underrstanding and action is another thing.

Perhaps she just figures I will take care of her grandkids and what happens to her is unimportant (we're like that).
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

A NEW PEAK OIL FILM IN CINEMAS

Unread postby teky » Fri 26 Oct 2007, 10:06:38

Hi,
A crude awakening is a shocking documentary about how the citizens of planet earth are sucking dry our most valuable and non-renewable natural resource: oil.
Its release in UK : the 9 November in London.(At Curzon,Soho)
It' really worth seeing.
teky
Wood
Wood

Re: A NEW PEAK OIL FILM IN CINEMAS

Unread postby Micki » Fri 26 Oct 2007, 10:17:20

New??
I've had a copy of Crude Awakening for a year now.
In my opinion it is the best one of them all. I liked it more than end of suburbia, crude or crude impact.
Micki

Unread postby mididoctors » Sun 28 Oct 2007, 09:05:04

viewed at a directors showing...

ok the music was very "fog of war" as were some of the graphical links and style... but the rip off was done well

the ford 1960 ad is now officially the most over used piece of libary footage..

it appears in most Adam Curtiss docs...fog of war and this one... I belivev it also appears in "who killed the electric car"

almost a cult reference to documentaries that present alternative world views..

the message was portrayed well I thought and Matt...you came across very well indeed.

in a Q&A session afterwards the most disturbing questions concerned "why didn't you include positive solutions"

the aspect of the documentary that needs reinforcing is the section on mindsets concerning what constitutes a "solution"

people can get on board with "oil running out" or even with the more realistic notion of peak and decline...

what they can not grasp is the notion that "solutions" are not generated by default.

the need to emphasize how unprecedented the fossil fuel age is and even more how dictated its demise, is where there is room for improvement in the message....

that does not mean some ultra doomer pron docu... the scale of the problem needs to be further enhanced visually by creating words and images that not only point dependance and scale of use but the difficulties in replacing that utility.

this aside the film did make many efforts to make this point... but as Campbell and Matt point out its a "attitude thing".

the film was well received and sparked news items on BBC4. but i was surprised about some of the in-denial reaction in the Q&A.

It was almost as thou some of the audience had edited out the sections that make the point about "transition issues"...

were they watching the same film?

a dedicated "replacing fossil fuels" docu that hammers home the point is required.

some of the close editing of interviews looked a bit manipulative especially the opec talking head..but thats documentaries with a aggenda (nothing wrong with that per ae)

in Morris's fog of war he allows the editing process to be seen so we are aware of how the interview is a controlled expression of McNamara's POV.... this settles you into trusting the director more.

short snippets of less that a couple of sentences are suspect.. the curtis/morris approach of allowing you to hear the interviewer off camera and sustain the conversation for a length of time that confirms the context of the meaning of the "talking head" is preferable where possible.

Some interviewees such as Campbell's explanations are good in this regard and need little editing...

overall 7/10

good.. infact very good but failed on a important issue even to a room of chicken shit liberal media types.. which no doubt is a function of 21st cent mindset rather than some deep error in the film..

that said it is the area that has to be addressed in the "getting the message out"

powering down is a major political hurdle.. it must be addressed

Boris
London
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby WhatMeWorry » Sun 04 Nov 2007, 16:25:28

Opens in the UK this week.

New 'disaster' movie warns world of oil apocalypse
The latest gloves-off documentary to hit screens predicts a global meltdown as vital fuel runs out

A Crude Awakening hits cinemas this week

[smilie=director.gif]
Egon Spengler: "Venkman, get a stool sample."
Peter Venkman: "Business, or personal?"
WhatMeWorry
Peat
Peat

"A Crude Awakening" movie predicts economic collap

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 13:19:46

A new film on the consequences of Peak Oil predicts global economic collapse and warfare will inevitably produce a worldwide disaster. The film is gaining attention and awards around Europe.

New Peak Oil disaster movie

Maybe this will popularize the "peak oil" problem the way Al Gore's movie brought global warming to the public's attention. :!:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: "A Crude Awakening" movie predicts economic co

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 13:21:20

"Oil is 'the bloodstain of the earth's economy' and will soon trigger a global conflict that will cost millions of lives. That is the stark claim of a controversial new film, which says a crash in oil production is about to set off worldwide recession and economic collapse.

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash, which opens in UK cinemas this week, shows stark images of rusting Texan and Venezuelan wells and fuel riots in Asia and Africa. Such scenes will be repeated thousands of times around the planet in the near future, argue the film's makers, who say the world is facing changes 'more frightening than a horror movie'.

---from the link above
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TWilliam » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 14:01:43

Plantagenet wrote:"Oil is 'the bloodstain of the earth's economy' and will soon trigger a global conflict that will cost millions of lives.

Sheesh. The line from the film is "Oil is the bloodstream of the earth's economy...".

It'd be nice if bloggers would pay a little more attention when they lift quotes...
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby da23 » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 15:01:21

da23
Peat
Peat

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash

Unread postby NTBKtrader » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 16:14:01

I read an article that said it was showing in UK cinemas, since I am a US citizen where can I get to see it? Is there a dvd of it or anything? thanks
NTBKtrader
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jupiters_release » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 16:21:22

You can purchase from Matt's site, the price has come down a lot too.

http://lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Individ ... eFilm.html
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby lawnchair » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 16:41:39

Netflix has it, and is involved in its distribution (through Red Envelope Entertainment). Well enough done, even though probably nothing in it you don't already know.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby threadbear » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 17:07:15

I hear that Halliburton and coca cola had a lot of product placement in that film.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby perdition79 » Thu 08 Nov 2007, 17:34:04

they play that movie in the U.S. on the Sundance cable channel. why buy it when you can see it for free.

Cake - Comfort Eagle
perdition79
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews