Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

There's no tomorrow

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

There's no tomorrow

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:03:58

I've watched part of this, and quite enjoyed first ten minutes and odd snippets throughout. Too much on to watch all way through, so I thought I'd share and give others the chance to view/comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMWzjrRiBg
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: There's no tomorrow

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:24:38

Also at Top Documentary Films where there are 76 comments. Here's one on the Cornie side:
geeyore writes:

The grammatically correct term for those who digest this swill would be "doomer ignoramuses."

A brief look through even the most recent human history provides numerous example of mass human slaughters and genocides - *always* "rationally" based on hysterical resource fears and their alleged cultural solutions - such as those committed by Hitler, Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Ho Chi Minh, and Pol Pot, or in places such as Rwanda, Kosovo, Somalia, and Darfur. And that's merely the tip of the genocidal iceberg (of just the last century alone!), always fundamentally based on fears and hysteria about resource depletion.

People who buy into this extremely dangerous mode of thinking might better take a look at their own place in the world and how to better it, rather than to cultivate a vision of paranoia and fear about the future.

It's easy to see in the comments here what kind of venal "documentary" this actually is.
8O
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sun 26 Feb 2012, 14:24:11

That film was very well done, and easy to understand for the novice. Thanks for posting it, I shared the film on my facebook page. Perhaps someone else will watch it and get inspired.

Here is another good video about "Permablitzes." I had not heard about Permablitzes before, basically it is getting a bunch of people together and quickly turning an urban/suburban yard into a permaculture food forest. The film is heavily seeded with Richard Hienberg explaining resource depletion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86-6jyOhH5U
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mmasters » Sun 26 Feb 2012, 15:24:36

Great video.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 15:36:39

Quinny wrote:Too much on to watch all way through...

35 minutes is an unbearably long duration to sit still and watch a video, isn't it?
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dissident » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 17:14:58

They go off the deep end dismissing fast neutron breeder reactors as "expensive failures" and conveniently neglect the fact that breeder reactors increase the energy extraction level from Uranium by over 50 times. Everything is expensive as long as coal and oil are dirt cheap, including wind power and solar. The French Superphenix reactor was the victim of politics, being out of action for prolonged periods due to the Green Party and terrorists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superph%C3%A9nix). The BN-600 in the ex-USSR has been operating for over 30 years with a capacity factor of 77% with one case of sodium leakage in 1998. The BN-800 is being built to be followed by BN-1800 around 2025. Maybe oil is 98% of US transportation, but that is not true for Europe. There is a tomorrow, based on electricity from nuclear, solar, wind, tidal, geothermal, etc.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MD » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 17:21:42

Of course there is a tomorrow, unless you want to be ridiculous about it.

The people that shout "there's no tomorrow" just have difficulty with change.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Lore » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 17:41:50

dissident wrote:Everything is expensive as long as coal and oil are dirt cheap, including wind power and solar.

There in lays the conundrum. By the time such alternatives really become economically attractive in compairason we'll have past the ability to afford to substitute for them, having squanderd our coffers in an attempt to shore up our depleting fossil fuel energy resources.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 18:49:38

Lore wrote:
dissident wrote:Everything is expensive as long as coal and oil are dirt cheap, including wind power and solar.

There in lays the conundrum. By the time such alternatives really become economically attractive in compairason we'll have past the ability to afford to substitute for them, having squanderd our coffers in an attempt to shore up our depleting fossil fuel energy resources.

Yup.

Thats why our country needs the Obama administration (or the next administration ) to craft an intelligent energy policy. We can't afford to continue to wast time by doing nothing, or to waste billions by funneling money to nogoodniks like Obama's cronies for disasters like Solyndra, the GM Volt, etc., etc.

The time and money available to get ready for peak oil is rapidly being dissapated.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 21:34:36

Plantagenet wrote:Yup.

Thats why our country needs the Obama administration (or the next administration ) to craft an intelligent energy policy.

Well, obviously. But all EITHER side ever does is say (during campaigns or when blaming the other side for all our energy problems), is: "We need a comprehensive energy policy".

However, we never come CLOSE to actually getting such a policy, as that would take foresight, political courage, effort, etc.

Just like both sides will say we need to (eventually) balance the budget, but heaven forbid cutting back on pet programs OR raising taxes -- except on a select group to play for political favor.

Our political leadership is a joke. WE elect them and WE enable them. :shock:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 06:22:56

I don't appreciate your sarcasm whilst coping with the illness and death of a close relative.

babystrangeloop wrote:
Quinny wrote:Too much on to watch all way through...

35 minutes is an unbearably long duration to sit still and watch a video, isn't it?
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 08:36:19

Sorry, Quinny, I hadn't heard of your suffering. May things work out for you!

But considering the stress you must be under, don't you think you could give peak oil a break?
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 09:09:37

That's Ok BSL. Thanks for the apology. It all went as well as could be hoped at the end. Managed to get most of the family together with her and she was just holding hands before she peacefully went to sleep.

PO's on my phone, so it's something to dip into when travelling or waiting. Not great for watching and listening when in public though (particularly as my puppy ate my headphones). :)
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 09:35:58

I hate to hijack a thread so much that I'm starting a new one: peak-oil-news-addiction-t64368.html
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 09:39:33

Preening politicians will not save us. We must save ourselves. Plan accordingly.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 12:36:28

Cloud9 wrote:Preening politicians will not save us. We must save ourselves. Plan accordingly.

Exactly.

There are no solutions, there are only individual options.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 16:44:17

Watched it now. I'm not particularly into animations, but i thought it was a good intro/summary, maybe good for mature/serious teens.
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews