Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Bolivia Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Lithium, Bolivia, Future, Futures

Unread postby cephalotus » Thu 23 Apr 2009, 13:27:43

Schmuto wrote:Almost every commodity dropped like a stone after summer 08, including Crude and most base metals and grain crops. Isn't it interesting that lithium didn't budge?

you can't see that from your graph.
If you just extrapolate that you'd need, what, 10 fold the amount of lithium for EVs, just to replace 10% of the fleet, than you currently use for cell phones and such, what happens to price?

you need 40g Lithium to produce 1kWh LiFePO4 battery. The lithium price doesn't matter that much. Btw, there is no Lithium reccyling until now because its so cheap. Germany starts a new development programm for Lithium battery recycling system as part of a 100Mio. € programm.
What does my laptop battery cost right now? About 110 bucks for the long life.

A typical 18500 cell costs about ~1US$. A typical notebook battery will contain of 6 or 8 cells.
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Schmuto » Fri 24 Apr 2009, 17:16:26

cephalotus wrote:
Schmuto wrote:Almost every commodity dropped like a stone after summer 08, including Crude and most base metals and grain crops. Isn't it interesting that lithium didn't budge?
you can't see that from your graph.
Good point.
cephalotus wrote:you need 40g Lithium to produce 1kWh LiFePO4 battery. The lithium price doesn't matter that much.

Your proof?
cephalotus wrote:
What does my laptop battery cost right now? About 110 bucks for the long life.
A typical 18500 cell costs about ~1US$. A typical notebook battery will contain of 6 or 8 cells.

Right. Gotcha. So why is my laptop battery 100 bucks and not 10?
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 24 Apr 2009, 17:48:18

Resource Investor - Commentary: "Nothing but sophistry and illusion” with regard to lithium and the electric-car promise

A friend of mine who has been a geologist working in South America for nearly 50 years pointed out to me yesterday that he was astounded by the lack of mention in any of the recent analytical articles, such as the one by Reuters, that Bolivian deposits are, to use his precise term, “lousy.”

He told me that I could find this out, as could anyone else, by looking, carefully and analytically, at a study jointly carried out by the USGS and the Bolivian Geological Service. The data below for Bolivia’s Uyuni Desert were published by Pergamon Press in 1978! The other data come from industry consultants and can be located from the USGS's web site. He constructed for me the following table:

Deposit L% Li Mg/Li ratio
Atacama 0.150 6.4
Hombre Muerto 0.062 1.37
Uyuni 0.028 19.9

The deposits above -- all inhospitable alkaline, it goes without saying -- are in Chile (Atacama), Argentina (Hombre Muerto) and Bolivia (Uyuni). All are lithium containing brines, which present as immense salt flats, under the surface of which are highly concentrated liquids: brines. The manner in which such brines are processed is to create vast ponds that are allowed to evaporate naturally using solar irradiation (sunlight) as the drying agent. SQM told me that for their Atacama works this step takes 18 months! It is simply not, and never will be, practical to move mountains of slush through drying kilns that would need to be powered by immense fossil fuel burning or nuclear plants. The cost of building such facilities in the remote desert or even of solar thermal facilities to concentrate the sun’s heat would be so expensive as to destroy the economics of any battery project.

Note that since the 1978 studies, the successful development of lithium producing industries has gone ahead in both Chile and Argentina but not in Bolivia.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yesplease » Wed 29 Apr 2009, 00:59:32

Schmuto wrote:I was wrong about Li - you're right - 2 of em. Are you saying that you pulled your numbers from a comment in a link on a blog? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you're unsupported, if that was your basis.
The comment from the blog has all the sources for their info, although you'll have to go to the SAFT site to look up their MP series batteries since the links are outdated. There isn't really a whole lot there, just manufacturer's specs and some basic chemistry/arithmetic, so unless you have proof that SAFT is wrong about their own product, or that the periodic table is wrong, a blog comment like that already has all the support it needs.
Schmuto wrote:I'd like to agree, but you have failed to provide support.
I've failed to provide support for stuff that's already known? Go look up the lithium content in SAFT's stuff, or better yet, just search for "lithium grams wh", and you'll find plenty of info. Content seems to range from ~40-80grams/kWh, probably depending on battery design. Smaller high power Lithium rechargeables have closer to ~80g of Lithium/kWh, while other Lithium rechargeables like Chinese LiFeYPO4 cells tend to have closer to 40g/kWh. That's .04-.08kg of Lithium per cell, which is .2-.4kg of Lithium Carbonate given the atomic mass of Lithium relative to Lithium Carbonate, with the same price, or lower in the case of higher energy/lower power cells, as what I've posted above and what the comment in my first link in the thread had.
Schmuto wrote:
yesplease wrote:Old sk00l large format batteries may loose that much depending on chemistry, but newer tech, such as LFPs, only looses about 1% per year due to calendar aging and something like 5% per 1000 100% dod cycles. For the average U.S. driver at 15k miles/year with a ~100 mile EV, they'll loose something like 2% of capacity per year.
Dude, once again, you have no support. Wiki says 20% lost per year for Li Ion - you link to what? A 3 page power point on "projected" something or other?
Those are manufacturer's specs based on testing as per the info in the pdf. I'm gonna go with the manufacturer's specs for a specific chemistry as opposed to specs on wikipedia for "typical laptop batteries" stored at full charge at ~80F. Most car maker's aren't going to stick a "typical laptop battery" in a car, since it's characteristics aren't suitable given the warrantied lifespan of 10-15 years as required by law for most vehicles. The only car which they are used in due to their higher power to weight ratio, differing laws, and availability at the time was the Tesla roadster, which uses a BMS along with the car's air conditioning unit to keep the pack a little above 32F when it's plugged in, and a bit higher when it's being driven, keeping losses from aging at ~3+%/year, as per the wiki info.

Course, like I said before, this is the only EV that's using laptop batteries. Other manufacturers are using different batteries with different aging characteristics. Aptera for instance is using LFPs, which, like I mentioned before, according to the manufacturer, loose ~1%/year due to aging. The LG-Chem cells that are going to be used in the Volt, or whatever GM happens to be called at the time, are LiMnO2 cells that use additives that improve lifespan at higher temperatures. Every battery, and even BMS, is going to be different, depending on the application, so saying that a car battery is going to behave like a laptop battery because both battery types use Lithium is like saying a small hatchback is going to perform just as well as a tank on the battlefield because both are land vehicles.

Maybe if the auto manufacturer was deliberately trying to bankrupt, they'd just toss a bunch of laptop batteries w/ no management in a car, but most aren't, at least not anymore. ;)
Schmuto wrote:Come on man. Citing to comments sections in blogs and 3rd party prospective battery tech is no way to go through life son.
That wasn't third party info AFAIK, but the NDA version of A123's battery specs. The spec sheet on A123's site looks nearly identical, but with less info. Anyway, if you wanna play like that...

Come on man. Not being able to spend a few seconds searching the interwebs for the lithium content of the average li-ion battery, not doing a bit of basic chem/math, all while using info from wiki regarding laptop battery aging characteristics to describe [i]auto[/b] battery aging characteristics is no way to go through life son. ;)
Schmuto wrote:
yesplease wrote:Laptop batteries are an inelastic commodity for most. It's hard for most people to open 'em up and solder in replacement cells when they go bad, and w/o 'em a laptop looses a lot of it's appeal. Essentially, they're bending most people over on 'em because most people aren't able to do anything about it. The batteries
only cost 'em about ~25-40 bucks, depending on capacity and what not, and everything on top of that is gravy baby. It's the same reason why a Toyota stealship would charge me $5-10 for an uncommon, but very cheap (I'm guessing about ~10 cents in bulk), o-ring.
Dude, come on. The correct comparison is between, let's say, the official Toyota oil filter and the off-the-shelf one.
A comparison between a Toyota oil filter and a generic version of the same thing is the opposite comparison, since the oil filter has been commoditized, offered by plenty of people besides Toyota. A model specific o-ring otoh, isn't something that's very common, and therefore isn't very likely to be commoditized, meaning Toyota can charge big bucks for it even though it's still just an o-ring that probably cost 'em a few cents in bulk.

Schmuto wrote:It's ridiculous to attempt to argue that the price of batteries are so high because Dell is sticking it to us. It is simple to provide after-market batteries - they're out there. Problem is, they're all very expensive.

Your suggestion that it's a world-wide price-fixing scheme is laughable.
I never said they were culpable of price fixing, just that they're charging higher prices to make lots of profit. Lithium costs for a laptop battery are only about $.10-.20, depending on chemistry. Manufacturing/distribution costs are probably only ~$20-40 at most given limited volume. The rest is all gravy. For example a M8416 battery for a G5 laptop is only ~$50-60 for a generic, but it's ~$165 for the apple version. That $100+ difference is all gravy. I'm not sure if the gap is as big for D33l's stuff, or if the battery modules they use are common enough to warrant a generic version, but in general most of the cost of a ~$100+ 50-100Wh battery is mark-up.

Schmuto wrote:Li Ion batteries cost 100 bucks for my laptop. You haven't explained why that is.
Of course I did. I even gave an example in this post. Now, just because you want to believe that a business would never shaft you (which btw, is not price fixing) doesn't mean that they aren't doing it. They're created to make a profit, not help consumers get the best price on their products.

Schmuto wrote:You haven't explained why an EV with a battery pack 1,000 times or more larger is going to ever be reasonable in price.
An EV pack probably won't be 1000 times larger, more like 100-200 times larger, since having too much unused capacity would lead to the pack aging out w/o seeing much in the way of cycling. In terms of cost, for a ~$100 ~50-100Wh laptop battery, a consumer is paying ~$1000-2000/kWh. Buying directly from a manufacturer is at ~$350/kWh for LFP batteries with similar specs, although probably not quite as good, to A123's stuff. A major manufacturer can negotiate a volume discount, probably somewhere around a ~40% reduction, so maybe ~$200/kWh. Unlike your laptop batteries, which are optimized for light weight, as opposed to lifespan, these batteries will take a decade or so to loose ~20% due to aging, as opposed to a ~20% loss in one year, and they can also cycle thousands of times more than a conventional LiCoO2 pack.

In terms of price, I can go out an get a little under 1kWh of LFPs for the same price you'll pay for a ~.05-.1kWh battery from d3ll. That same battery will run ~3000 cycles to 70% dod, and more if we let capacity drop more, along with a ~1-2% capacity loss/year, so unlike a laptop battery stored at ~80F that only needs ~2.5 years and tens to hundreds of cycles to drop to 50% capacity, these batteries will probably last for decades and complete thousands of cycles before they drop to 50% capacity.

We have two key differences here, a ~5-10 times difference in price between what you pay per kWh for a battery from D3ll as opposed to what a major manufacturer pays for batteries in bulk from a large battery manufacturer, as well as a huge difference in the lifetime of the battery and amount of energy that can be stored due to different battery chemistry and management. All told, in terms of price per kWh stored, a laptop battery is ~20-40 times more expensive per kWh stored, because it's designed to be light, not economical, and suffers from huge markups as well as low volume, both of which raise it's price significantly.

Course, when it comes to PHEVs, even manufacturer's aren't going to stick a ~$500-60/kWh A123 battery in when they can get a ~$150-200/kWh LG-Chem cell in a PHEV, since all they need to get past is the ~10-15 year 100k/150k mile PHEV battery warranty. An A123 pack could probably do ~300k in the same situation, but given how fickle people are about cars cheaper cells that'll last for the federal/state warranty period and the average lifespan of vehicles for a few hundred less per kWh are good enough, so to speak,
Schmuto wrote:EV technology is DOA until somebody mass produces a car to the specs I mentioned.
As your opinion, that's fine, but whether or not EVs are successful depends on way more than just your opinion.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 04 May 2009, 15:07:16

Schmuto wrote:Dude, once again, you have no support. Wiki says 20% lost per year for Li Ion - you link to what? A 3 page power point on "projected" something or other?
Yesplease is pulling his info from manufacturer specs. You are getting yours from Wikipedia. I don't think it's you who should be crying about the source.

Schmuto wrote:Right. Gotcha. So why is my laptop battery 100 bucks and not 10?
If you think that's bad, you should check out the price gouging they do on printer ink.

The ink you buy for your printer usually comes in tiny containers, called cartridges, that hold about an ounce of ink. They sell for about $30 each. There are 128 ounces in a gallon, so the ink in your inkjet cartridges actually has an equivalent cost of about $3,840 per gallon. The price of ink for HP ink-jet printers can be as much as $8,000 per gallon.
What Is The Real Cost Of An Inkjet
$8,000 per Gallon Printer Ink

You can buy ink in bulk starting from $149 a gallon. Yet when you buy a printer cartridge, the price runs as high as $8,000 per gallon.
Ink by the Pint
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Schmuto » Mon 04 May 2009, 19:18:57

You play the internet game differently than I do. When I want to make a point, I don't just write, "dude, I put a link to a blog, and that blog has links to other things, and all you have to do is look."

You want to make the point? You provide the support. Don't ask me to. But by the way - You cite a blog, and when I call you on it, you say "just follow the linkies." I cited wiki, and your response was, "that's not an authority." Despite that it's completely sourced. But as a basic thought on how far out you are on this one . . .

you wrote:
An EV pack probably won't be 1000 times larger, more like 100-200 times larger

So my laptop battery is about 8x.5x1.5, which is about 6 cubic inches. Times a hundred is 600 cubic inches.

So YesPlease, your working theory is that electric vehicles will be powered by batteries that are 600 cubic inches to 1200 cubic inches. So, just to give this a little perspective.
YesPlease believes that we are going to power EVs with batteries that are, get ready for this, . . . the size of a 9" cube.
Which is about half a loaf of bread!

redacted by wisconsin_cur

You're clearly quite smart. Smarter, I'd estimate, than most people you've met.

If you think they'll make an EV that's anywhere near the size of a current sedan that can do 70 and that has a range of 250 miles and they power this on a battery that is smaller than a loaf of bread . . .

Seriously. I want the EV thing to happen probably as much as most people you'll ever meet. But until they mass produce them, you know what they are? They are the delusions of somebody on the Internet who thinks we're going to be driving around in cars powered by 10" battery cubes. :P
Last edited by wisconsin_cur on Thu 07 May 2009, 19:22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attacks
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yesplease » Tue 05 May 2009, 00:11:24

Schmuto wrote:You play the internet game differently than I do. When I want to make a point, I don't just write, "dude, I put a link to a blog, and that blog has links to other things, and all you have to do is look."
You want to make the point? You provide the support. Don't ask me to.
I did. Don't take it out on me if you can't understand it. :)
Schmuto wrote:But as a basic thought on how far out you are on this one . . .
you wrote:
An EV pack probably won't be 1000 times larger, more like 100-200 times larger

So my laptop battery is about 8x.5x1.5, which is about 6 cubic inches. Times a hundred is 600 cubic inches. So YesPlease, your working theory is that electric vehicles will be powered by batteries that are 600 cubic inches to 1200 cubic inches. So, just to give this a little perspective.

YesPlease believes that we are going to power EVs with batteries that are, get ready for this, . . . the size of a 9" cube.
Which is about half a loaf of bread!
For the love of Pete... That statement refers to battery energy, not volume. It's even implied via the part about a larger pack aging out. Granted, most people demonstrably aren't on top of basic physics, so it's not like I expect most posters to pick up on implications, but in that context most would ask what I was referring to as opposed to picking some other dimension out of thin air. Unless of course you're simply trying to troll...
Schmuto wrote:I
The same thing occurred to me, but everyone makes mistakes. I never said anyone could run an EV on a battery that is equivalent in physical volume to 100 laptop batteries. Since you demonstrably don't understand physics, I can't hold it above you not being able to understand the difference between volume and energy, but believe it or not there is a difference.
Schmuto wrote:But, you clearly are not. You're clearly quite smart. Smarter, I'd estimate, than most people you've met.
Thanks! :)
Schmuto wrote:And this is why I find you, and people like you, quite frightening.

You seem to be smart, yet you come to flagrantly bizarre and irrational conclusions, and stick to them! because . . . it's what you want to be true.
Don't be frightened. The problem isn't with my conclusions, they're rational. That problem is that you didn't understand the difference between volume, how much space something takes up, and energy. It's common for stuff people don't understand to frighten them, no worries mate! :)
Schmuto wrote:If you think they'll make an EV that's anywhere near the size of a current sedan that can do 70 and that has a range of 250 miles and they power this on a battery that is smaller than a loaf of bread . . .

. . .
redacted by wisconsin_cur.
No delusions here. Unfortunately, not being able to understand the difference between volume and energy is leading you to erroneous conclusions.
Schmuto wrote:Seriously. I want the EV thing to happen probably as much as most people you'll ever meet.
Whatever you say.
Schmuto wrote:But until they mass produce them, you know what they are?
They are the delusions of somebody on the Internet who thinks we're going to be driving around in cars powered by 10" battery cubes.
So they are in your delusions because you don't understand the difference between volume and energy? That's odd, to say the least. I suggest getting some form psychological help, or at least taking a basic physics class, if these delusions of yours persist.
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Tue 05 May 2009, 14:00:04

Schmuto, If you want to get an idea of the size(volume) of the battery pack in the Tesla, there is a picture of it here:
Tesla Battery Pack

But I suggest you tone down the flaming.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 05 May 2009, 14:41:03

yesplease wrote:
Schmuto wrote:You haven't explained why an EV with a battery pack 1,000 times or more larger is going to ever be reasonable in price.

An EV pack probably won't be 1000 times larger, more like 100-200 times larger, since having too much unused capacity would lead to the pack aging out w/o seeing much in the way of cycling.

Nice attempt at the backtrack dude!! :roll:

You say the "pack" will be "100-200 times larger," but you weren't referring to the size of the pack? Right? :roll:

You, the master of physics, who can't stop blabbing about everybody else not understanding physics, said the "pack will be 100 times larger," but you didn't mean size?

I'm sure you tell the women the same thing.

This counts among the weakest backpedallyings that I have ever read.

What's amatter? You didn't stop listening to yourself blab long enough to compute how small the "pack size" you were talking about would be?

In any case, wipe the egg off your face and read this -

Even if we all suspended reality and accepted your backpedalling, a pack that has 100 times the capacity of a laptop battery would be about 100 times the size!

Unless, of course, you're going to school us on how larger batteries require substantially more internal space than laptops. :roll:

You're guessing, you're hoping, and you're scary because you can't just admit that you got burned. [smilie=5shocking.gif]

You made a dumb comment because you didn't think about it.

You wrote, clear as day, that a 9" battery cube is going to power cars.
You then backpedalled and wrote "not 100 times the size, but 100 times the capacity."

6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

You just got powned. Don't worry, it's a big club.

As for your theory that the battery producing companies of the world have all conspired to price fix - that's wacko marxist economics 101. There are plenty of battery companies out there making batteries.

If they could make and sell my laptop battery for 20 bucks, it would be out there already.

It's not.

Go lick your wounds dude
Last edited by wisconsin_cur on Thu 07 May 2009, 19:27:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for personal attacks
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yesplease » Thu 07 May 2009, 00:59:43

Schmuto wrote:
yesplease wrote:

An EV pack probably won't be 1000 times larger, more like 100-200 times larger, since having too much unused capacity would lead to the pack aging out w/o seeing much in the way of cycling.

Nice attempt at the backtrack dude!! :roll:

You say the "pack" will be "100-200 times larger," but you weren't referring to the size of the pack? Right? :roll:
Just because you don't understand physics doesn't mean I'm backtracking. I know it must be depressing for you, not being able to fix dumb and all, but you can at least patch it up a bit.
Schmuto wrote:You, the master of physics, who can't stop blabbing about everybody else not understanding physics, said the "pack will be 100 times larger," but you didn't mean size?
Yup, ya finally understand. See, anyone can understand if they spend enough time with something. :)
Schmuto wrote:redacted by wisconsin_cur

This counts among the weakest backpedallyings that I have ever read.

What's amatter? You didn't stop listening to yourself blab long enough to compute how small the "pack size" you were talking about would be?
So not only do you not understand physics, but you've turned that into a post about my "pack size"? Dude, you got issues, I suggest seeing a psychologist and going back to school. It's O.K. that you're interested in the "pack size" of other guys, and don't understand physics, but this hostility isn't O.K.
Schmuto wrote:Even if we all suspended reality and accepted your backpedalling, a pack that has 100 times the capacity of a laptop battery would be about 100 times the size!
We don't need to suspend reality, just have you take a physics class or two. The more you learn and all that! :)
Schmuto wrote:You made a dumb comment because you didn't think about it.
My comment was fine, well, obviously beyond your grasp of a basic high school subject, but if I had know how not smart you were before now I could've dumbed it down for ya! :)

Schmuto wrote:You wrote, clear as day, that a 9" battery cube is going to power cars.
You then backpedalled and wrote "not 100 times the size, but 100 times the capacity."

6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

You just got powned. Don't worry, it's a big club.
I just got powned by somebody who doesn't understand stuff teenagers can breeze through, and can't stop talking about my package? Sure buddy, whatever you say. Like I mentioned before, you should really see a shrink. :)
Schmuto wrote:As for your theory that the battery producing companies of the world have all conspired to price fix - that's wacko marxist economics 101. There are plenty of battery companies out there making batteries.

If they could make and sell my laptop battery for 20 bucks, it would be out there already.

It's not.
It's not price fixing unless every company does it genius. Apple can charge big bucks for the same thing that goes for $100+ less as a generic. For whatever reason, your laptop battery may not be popular enough to warrant a generic version, or maybe you just don't understand how to search online for a generic version. Either way, it isn't price fixing unless everyone in an industry is conspiring to keep the price up. The more ya know genius, the more ya know... ;)
Schmuto wrote:Go lick your wounds dude
Stop talking about my package you sick freak! ;)
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Fri 08 May 2009, 10:32:35

But you haven't answered the core question.

You've said I'm stupid.
You've said I don't understand HS level material.
And other such things.

All nice red herrings that I expect from somebody with a losing argument.

But you haven't explained how a battery pack that has "100 times" the energy density/capacity of a laptop battery isn't about 100 times the size of a laptop battery.

Hmmm? :P
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yesplease » Fri 08 May 2009, 16:23:32

Schmuto wrote:But you haven't explained how a battery pack that has "100 times" the energy density/capacity of a laptop battery isn't about 100 times the size of a laptop battery.

For the love of Pete, where did you learn to read son? I never said it has 100 times the energy density/capacity, I said an auto pack would probably have ~100-200 times the energy.
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Sat 09 May 2009, 09:21:55

yesplease wrote:
Schmuto wrote:But you haven't explained how a battery pack that has "100 times" the energy density/capacity of a laptop battery isn't about 100 times the size of a laptop battery.

For the love of Pete, where did you learn to read son? I never said it has 100 times the energy density/capacity, I said an auto pack would probably have ~100-200 times the energy.

Boy, I'd love to depose you for a litigation involving battery tech. Put a video camera on you and your credibility would be gone after about the 10th question.

OK, so let's do it again.

How is it that a battery that has 100 times the "energy" of a laptop battery wouldn't be about 100 times the size? :)
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Schmuto » Sun 10 May 2009, 21:26:16

Nothing yet, yes please?
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yesplease » Tue 12 May 2009, 03:53:02

Schmuto wrote:
yesplease wrote:

Boy, I'd love to depose you for a litigation involving battery tech. Put a video camera on you and your credibility would be gone after about the 10th question.
I'm pretty sure a judge wouldn't tolerate your off-topic obsession with my package, and after that hopefully someone competent would be assigned to the disposition. :D
Schmuto wrote:OK, so let's do it again.
Personally, I think you've embarrassed yourself enough, but who knows, maybe you have a masochistic side and really enjoy embarrassing yourself.
Schmuto wrote:How is it that a battery that has 100 times the "energy" of a laptop battery wouldn't be about 100 times the size? :)
The same reason it also won't perform the same in terms of aging wrt time and cycling. Each battery chemistry and pack has different specs, just like different cars have different engines with differing weight, volume, efficiency, and power output.

P.S.
Schmuto wrote:Nothing yet, yes please?
Shouldn't you be disposing of yourself? :p
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Thu 21 May 2009, 11:17:27

yesplease wrote:
Schmuto wrote:How is it that a battery that has 100 times the "energy" of a laptop battery wouldn't be about 100 times the size? :)
The same reason it also won't perform the same in terms of aging wrt time and cycling. Each battery chemistry and pack has different specs, just like different cars have different engines with differing weight, volume, efficiency, and power output.

So, in other words, you have no answer.

Really simple here.

You got caught saying something stupid, but you'd rather stick by the comment that admit that you simply made a mistake.

You said that cars will run on batteries 100 times larger than a laptop battery.

That still ranks among the dumbest things I have ever read, no matter how you attempt to contort the meaning of your words.

If 100 times the physical size - dumb.
If 100 times the energy capacity -dumb.
If 100 times the energy - dumb.

Laptop battery - 60 bucks.
Car Battery - 6,000 bucks.
Quoting an EV zealot who wrote that cars will run on batteries 100 times the size of a laptop battery - sweet. :twisted:
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yesplease » Thu 21 May 2009, 15:27:15

Schmuto wrote:
yesplease wrote:

So, in other words, you have no answer.

Really simple here.

You got caught saying something stupid, but you'd rather stick by the comment that admit that you simply made a mistake.

You said that cars will run on batteries 100 times larger than a laptop battery.

That still ranks among the dumbest things I have ever read, no matter how you attempt to contort the meaning of your words.

If 100 times the physical size - dumb.
If 100 times the energy capacity -dumb.
If 100 times the energy - dumb.
You're right Schmuto, clearly they will be powered by your new sugar cube battery! How stupid can people be to look at current battery tech/costs when they could just pop your sugar cube battery in and everyone will be saved. :lol:

Talk about Cornucoian BS! ;)
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Thu 21 May 2009, 19:12:21

Nothing yet?
Keep trying.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yesplease » Thu 21 May 2009, 21:18:22

Schmuto wrote:Nothing yet?
Keep trying.
Try? I don't need to try to grasp the obvious, and it's quite obvious you need a trip back to pre-school! :-D
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Fri 22 May 2009, 07:07:12

So when do we see the magic battery-toaster cubes?
-
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to South America Discussion